Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts Roster 

EastStreet

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I don’t understand the quick love for OJ Howard. Tampa didn’t want him and now another team doesn’t see anything in him to keep him. We have a young guy in Woods that can get experience instead of signing someone not special at all to take those reps. I don’t get it. 

If we have them, they're not as good as what is out there. If we cut them, it was a mistake. If another team cuts them, they were stupid and our team should be brilliant and pick them up. Hope that helps. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Guessing more waivers/FAs... 

That will be a lot of holes to fill from cast offs.  Compared to last season, have we improved at the big play positions or the oline?  Campbell is back, Pierce...maybe.  Do we have a real slot?  Are we better at TE?

No real advancement of talent along the oline and questionable depth.  TE depth is shallow (injury didn't help).  Carrying three RBs, where one of them is supposed to catch the ball as much as a 3rd or 4th WR, and we still keep 7 of those.

OTOH, the changes on defense all look like measurable advancements of talent.  The safeties are way better.  The CBs are probably better.  The backup LBs are better, IMO.  And the pass rushers are better.  Clear improvement across the board, and in the areas that were known problems.

Ryan is going to have to be the elixir for the offense.  Frank only has that much more to work with than last year.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As was said during last season by many. 

Even after an entire offseason of roster build, our primary big play threat is our RB.  No matter who that RB is, that valuable big play threat simply not the guy you want to drive into a known pile up when the HC goes for it on 4th and 1..which is more often than most HCs....unless you want the HC to be cute and throw a shovel pass or run Hines up the gut.

I don’t understand this at all?

First, who are the many?   Posters?   Media?   Coaches?

Second, I think you’re taking Frank’s love for Hines up the gut on short distance like he does it all the time.   He doesn’t.   It’s a gimmick that he tries from time to time, but it is NOT what we do as a matter of routine.  

Taylor runs up the gut on short distance all the time.    I wish someone who has some analytics info would chime in here….

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That will be a lot of holes to fill from cast offs.  Compared to last season, have we improved at the big play positions or the oline?  Campbell is back, Pierce...maybe.  Do we have a real slot?  Are we better at TE?

No real advancement of talent along the oline and questionable depth.  TE depth is shallow (injury didn't help).  Carrying three RBs, where one of them is supposed to catch the ball as much as a 3rd or 4th WR, and we still keep 7 of those.

OTOH, the changes on defense all look like measurable advancements of talent.  The safeties are way better.  The CBs are probably better.  The backup LBs are better, IMO.  And the pass rushers are better.  Clear improvement across the board, and in the areas that were known problems.

Ryan is going to have to be the elixir for the offense.  Frank only has that much more to work with than last year.

Elite and greats, but a lot of mysteries... plus mystery D schemes

23 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If we have them, they're not as good as what is out there. If we cut them, it was a mistake. If another team cuts them, they were stupid and our team should be brilliant and pick them up. Hope that helps. 

You forgot the one where even when we have them and they are well respected around the league for being elite at their jobs.....what they do actually has no value and we should have done something else because we would be better that way. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Another starting RB, maybe not, but with the guy who is the only real big play threat on the O, who cares if he gets three yards on 4th and 1.

I do Doug. Because I want them to actually get the first down.

Better at TE because Granson looks much better and Woods  has 6'7 size and athletic. Loved Doyle but he was limited upside.

Better at QB with Ryan over Wentz

Better at RB with JT another year under his belt

Better at WR with Pierce over Pasco and Dulin,Patmon and Strachan all with more experience 

Better at DE with Yannick instead of AQM and Dayo healthy and Paye with experience

Better at Corner with Gilmore over Rock

Better at Safety with Cross and McLeoad instead of Addae and Sendejo

Equal- LT with Pryor vs Fisher...Fisher was very bad at Pass Protect but decent in run

Equal-LB with Leonard now repaired but not 100% so short term minus but mid season and late plus

Worse-RG with Pinter not showing what was hoped compared to Glow and Reed

Worse-Punter possibly but not by much and could turn into equal and maybe even plus.

14 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

You forgot the one where even when we have them and they are well respected around the league for being elite at their jobs.....what they do actually has no value and we should have done something else because we would be better that way. 

I do Doug. Because I want them to actually get the first down.

You don't count.  The defense will care more about how to get him out of the game than to worry about three yards.   A division opponent would like to get him out of the next game so we take a Loss that game.  Situation dependent of course.

I just see more Hines up the gut and cutsie short yardage play calls.  Looking at the roster, no wonder.  Maybe we'll see more of Jackson in a true JT backup role. 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You don't count.  The defense will care more about how to get him out of the game than to worry about three yards.   A division opponent would like to get him out of the next game so we take a Loss that game.  Situation dependent of course.

I just see more Hines up the gut and cutsie short yardage play calls.  Looking at the roster, no wonder.  Maybe we'll see more of Jackson in a true JT backup role. 

I call nonsense.

When is the last time that happened?

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just noticed Chris Reed isn’t even the starting RG in MN. He could of been kept for cheap and been a good starter or depth.

Uh, he is a backup level talent. That is why they signed him for chump change.

How did you miss the 50 posts saying he wanted to play near his home?

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Better at TE because Granson looks much better and Woods  has 6'7 size and athletic. Loved Doyle but he was limited upside.

Better at QB with Ryan over Wentz

Better at RB with JT another year under his belt

Better at WR with Pierce over Pasco and Dulin,Patmon and Strachan all with more experience 

Better at DE with Yannick instead of AQM and Dayo healthy and Paye with experience

Better at Corner with Gilmore over Rock

Better at Safety with Cross and McLeoad instead of Addae and Sendejo

Equal- LT with Pryor vs Fisher...Fisher was very bad at Pass Protect but decent in run

Equal-LB with Leonard now repaired but not 100% so short term minus but mid season and late plus

Worse-RG with Pinter not showing what was hoped compared to Glow and Reed

Worse-Punter possibly but not by much and could turn into equal and maybe even plus.

Thanks for this post.  I think this might be my favorite post of the day.   Then again, it’ll make my detractors call me a Sunshine Pumper!  Lol….     Okie-dokie!     Whatever….    :thmup:

:colts:

19 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Will be interesting who we claim tomorrow and who we cut...seeing 3 players claimed...DT,OL and RB...3 cuts in Jackson,Cowart and Denbow. Think we get all 3 through to ps in a couple days.

Yup, 3ish.... 2-4ish....

Mystery, but.... ??? lol

Turay > Banogu

Reed (trade)  > Haeg > Fries > French

I'm good (depth)

RB, WR, TE, QB

Worried (depth)

OL, true LEO, 

200.gif

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I call nonsense.

When is the last time that happened?

What, when a big play running back went into a pile, got stood up, and something bad happened to him?  I can't quote the last time but its not like its uncommon.  Its less common because coaches don't usually run their only big play threat into a pile of bodies bigger than he is.

I'm not saying take JT out every play.  With three RBs and one of them supposedly going to play more like WR # 3 or #4, I just think its would be best to have a short yardage RB on the roster.  Not having one will influence Frank's short yardage play calling.  I'm sure of it.

Per Reich.... "but our best formula is to be balanced", and "You don’t see teams that have this ground-and-pound run game win championships,”... etc...

JT - hoping 15-20 attempts..... 3-5 receiving... (late, and 14+ pts, stop....)

NH - need outside runs, receiving, etc.. 5-7 attempts (run), plus 4-6 receiving... 

Jackson - 5 (late) attempts.... 1-3 receiving... 

Props to Ohio Colt.  There’s been some funny predictions since the end of last season.  Some thought we should take Carson Strong in the second round. One guaranteed that Jackson was automatically gone because we had Borghi, Verdell, and Lindsay I recall. 

Ohio pretty much nailed it with the UDFA’s to watch or make the team.  He listed Flowers, Weatherford, Domann, Denbow, and French.

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Will be interesting who we claim tomorrow and who we cut...seeing 3 players claimed...DT,OL and RB...3 cuts in Jackson,Cowart and Denbow. Think we get all 3 through to ps in a couple days.

I know you don’t like him but I think Jackson is going to stick.  They like him for special teams.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Per Reich.... "but our best formula is to be balanced", and "You don’t see teams that have this ground-and-pound run game win championships,”... etc...

JT - hoping 15-20 attempts..... 3-5 receiving... (late, and 14+ pts, stop....)

NH - need outside runs, receiving, etc.. 5-7 attempts (run), plus 4-6 receiving... 

Jackson - 5 (late) attempts.... 1-3 receiving... 

Did Frank list those numbers or are those your estimates of how he's going to achieve balance?

@Jared Cisneros, I read your post above. This team is better, maybe not a lot better but the QB we have now alone makes a huge difference. I think if Matt was our QB last year we go 11-6, maybe even 12-5. Maniac is off the Pup and has been cleared to play, Nelson is 100% coming into the season, players like Gilmore and Cross will help our secondary out bigtime, and Taylor, Pittman, and Hines is like having 3 lethal weapons on offense.

Yannick is key as well. Good Pass Rusher :thmup:

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jared Cisneros, I read your post above. This team is better, maybe not a lot better but the QB we have now alone makes a huge difference. I think if Matt was our QB last year we go 11-6, maybe even 12-5. Maniac is off the Pup and has been cleared to play, Nelson is 100% coming into the season, players like Gilmore and Cross will help our secondary out bigtime, and Taylor, Pittman, and Hines is like having 3 lethal weapons on offense.

Yannick is key as well. Good Pass Rusher :thmup:

I’m still worried about our OL.

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m still worried about our OL.

I am a little worried because of LT but up the gut I think we will be fine. Matt Ryan is a lot like Tom Brady when he has had good-great Guard/Center/Guard play = when he has protection in the middle he is fine usually. It is because of his quick release, most ends can't get to him when Matt has room to operate in the middle for 2 to 3 seconds.

23 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

So many unproven young players. We will see where we end up in a few days but injuries happen and it makes me very nervous. I am not even concerned about pass catchers or QB. Oline depth and defensive depth needs to be better.

Yeah, it’s odd for a Ballard team. We usually have great depth in both trenches. 

I think it’s likely he picks up two offensive lineman. One via a late round trade & a waiver claim.

He needs to add a bigger DT for stopping the run too. If Grover goes down, we don’t have suitable backups. 

16 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Apparently Zach hicks said the colts liked leatherwood in 21. Will see what happens. How much of that salary does a team have to pay him if claimed.

Looks like he is going to be re signing with bills and this was just a procedural move. Hoping that is what we are doing with Kelly too.

Looks like Howard will sign with Cincy. Leatherwood seems like a bust for the Raiders to cut him so early. I would sign Daryl Williams though quickly. 

15 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Right! This GM thing isn’t really that hard. 

25 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

He needs to add a bigger DT for stopping the run too. If Grover goes down, we don’t have suitable backups. 

The problem with the bigger DT is they can't play special teams. I'd rather them get another UT to go next to Buckner than another Grover Stewart. Not many teams have 2 nose tackles but many do have 2 or more under tackles. As long as that guy can play under tackle for 20% of the snaps at best and shed blocks 1-on-1, our run D won't suffer and it will bolster depth.

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

The defense comes down to the LINE IMO.  They need to dominate.  Gilmore is a definite upgrade, I am not sold on the other secondary additions yet.  I am still concerned with us getting beat over the top and in the alleys in a predominant C3 scheme.

We will definitely be more fun to watch though.  Should be some hard, aggressive hitting.  We have to limit the big running plays with our safeties in the 1 gapping.  The DLINE is the key with all the investment.  IF they don't improve in the pass rushing significantly, it's going to be pretty rough.  

Looking forward to the season. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you get a minute, would you be kind enough to send me those privately?    But if I understand your meaning,  it sounds like you’re saying my hunch is correct?   

Here's my post from a couple weeks ago. The link to the source is included. And yeah, you're definitely correct about Hines' usage.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/nfl-stats/

In 2021, on third and fourth down, with 3 or fewer yards to go, Hines had 5 rushing attempts, averaged 5.6 yards, and got 4 first downs. JT had 32 attempts, 3.6 yards, 22 first downs. (In the same situation, JT had three passing targets, Hines had two.) Hines only got eight total carries on 3rd/4th down last season, and averaged 5.25 yards/attempt.

This makes two things clear to me. First, the idea that Hines gets overused in short yardage isn't based on the facts. Second, the idea that Hines isn't effective in short yardage isn't based on the facts.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/73556-management-agrees-with-nickster/?do=findComment&comment=2372946

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Here's my post from a couple weeks ago. The link to the source is included. And yeah, you're definitely correct about Hines' usage.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/73556-management-agrees-with-nickster/?do=findComment&comment=2372946

Thank you.    As you know, I try to read all your posts.   So either I missed this one, or I had a senior moment and blanked on it. 

Much appreciated.      :thmup:

Archived