Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Tampa at Colts (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts 08/27

EastStreet

Patmon is looking good

Grover is looking Really Good

Gilmore is smart as h3ll

Tell and Banogu should not make the team, those gratifications had been delayed enough

Rod Thomas and Weatherford are pleasant surprises, tackles machines

Raimann just need time and refine, but he's going be good

Haak was just AMAZING, 4 punts inside the 15 and with good HT and no chance to return

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballard said he would wait until after preseason to make up his mind on our WR’s.  Pittman is the only one who has stood out consistently in games.   It looks like a weak group right now.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we add one somehow before the season starts.  I’m thinking we add at OL and safety as well.

Was listening to the Bring The Juice podcast. They said they think it might shake out to where we keep Coutee bc of special teams and see if we can put Strachan on the PS.  Im hoping we can keep him, but it wouldn't shock me if Strachan didn't make it.  Not just because of Coutee special teams ability, but also because of the existence of Pierce.  We've got a lot of big body WR, but not too many guys who can play the slot like Coutee can.  We shall see I guess!

48 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Patmon is looking good

Grover is looking Really Good

Gilmore is smart as h3ll

Tell and Banogu should not make the team, those gratifications had been delayed enough

Rod Thomas and Weatherford are pleasant surprises, tackles machines

Raimann just need time and refine, but he's going be good

Haak was just AMAZING, 4 punts inside the 15 and with good HT and no chance to return

I have high hopes for Raimann.  But he’s clearly not ready for the speed of NFL edge-rushers yet.  That’s not uncommon - and probably to be expected for a guy who doesn’t have much college experience at the position.

Generally speaking, I think our OL is still not in a great place right now.

Im still of the opinion that Jackson will make the roster at RB along with Lindsay.  You need both body types.

Lindsay is more of the replacement for Hines(if injured) type of guy in my opinion.  I think Jackson is that bigger body Dom. Rhodes type of guy with the speed. The blocking hasn't been great and I just don't think he's done enough to embarass himself out there.  And the other guys competing with him haven't done anything to warrant replacing.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard said he would wait until after preseason to make up his mind on our WR’s.  Pittman is the only one who has stood out consistently in games.   It looks like a weak group right now.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we add one somehow before the season starts.  I’m thinking we add at OL and safety as well.

I don't think Ballard adds a veteran unless he's a proven playmaker. We don't need a veteran if it's just a mid-tier guy, no point in that.

Just now, Solid84 said:

I don't think Ballard adds a veteran unless he's a proven playmaker. We don't need a veteran if it's just a mid-tier guy, no point in that.

Yeah if the vet isn’t going to come in and be the other starter with Pittman you are probably better off to let the young guys play and get experience and develop if you really believe in them.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im still of the opinion that Jackson will make the roster at RB along with Lindsay.  You need both body types.

Lindsay is more of the replacement for Hines(if injured) type of guy in my opinion.  I think Jackson is that bigger body Dom. Rhodes type of guy with the speed. The blocking hasn't been great and I just don't think he's done enough to embarass himself out there.  And the other guys competing with him haven't done anything to warrant replacing.

I think Jackson has separated himself from the other backs after Taylor, Hines, and Lindsay because of his proven special teams ability.  The fact he started last night and was pulled with the rest of the starters tells me Jackson has made this roster.

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not sure what to think yet about starting offense.

Patmon seems like a guy that they can rely on.

preseason is made for a guy like

Sam who plays San lot football.

run defense is so bad.

What did u expect from the run defence? I have said it all off season. Fans have been so critical of the pass rush but that should prove. However get ready be gashed by long runs.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I have high hopes for Raimann.  But he’s clearly not ready for the speed of NFL edge-rushers yet.  That’s not uncommon - and probably to be expected for a guy who doesn’t have much college experience at the position.

Generally speaking, I think our OL is still not in a great place right now.

Agree with you, the OL is not 2018-2021 Colts level, but I think we will be good enough..

Raimann looks solid for 90% of snaps, he was beat off the edge 1 and I saw 2 times he was slow run blocking (1 was goal line), but that's really expected as you said, the reps he's good, he's really good

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What did u expect from the run defence? I have said it all off season. Fans have been so critical of the pass rush but that should prove. However get ready be gashed by long runs.

I think we did okay against the Bucs vs the run. Yeah, the 2nd teamers had a bad drive where they got run over, due to our LBs being too aggressive, but the next drive Domann and Weatherford had gotten that corrected I feel.

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

run defense is so bad.

The backups are bad.  The starters gave up one run which is going to happen now and then and then Grover absolutely destroyed the Bucs the other series and was meeting the running back at the hand off.  

Venturi pointed out the issue with the backups.  The dline was getting blocked and the linebackers were over perusing and getting killed on the cutback.  That’s to be expected with as many young guys are in there with the second unit at linebacker.  The starters don’t seem to have that problem.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The backups are bad.  The starters gave up one run which is going to happen now and then and then Grover absolutely destroyed the Bucs the other series and was meeting the running back at the hand off.  

Venturi pointed out the issue with the backups.  The dline was getting blocked and the linebackers were over perusing and getting killed on the cutback.  That’s to be expected with as many young guys are in there with the second unit at linebacker.  The starters don’t seem to have that problem.

The thing is your not going to be playing all backups at one time. So I will give them some grace.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The thing is your not going to be playing all backups at one time. So I will give them some grace.

Yeah keys will be Leonard getting back and Grover staying healthy.  Those things happen and I think the Colts will be pretty good vs the run.

All they showed for game highlights were Brady’s plays.  One bad call on Gilmore and a no call on the Julio push off.  The starting D played pretty well.  

I’m not sure about Leonard as the Mike, but Bradley knows what he’s doing.  Grove is so underrated in this league.  If Kitty continues to improve, that D line is going to be good.  

Top 10 D IMO, maybe top 5.  

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Matt Ryan is going to be fine, but sometimes I wish Irsay would stop running his mouth

beating the dead horse on Wentz.  You keep coming after that guy like that in public gloating 

because you think you found a better solution, but you just never know how things will turn out.

Let the man(Wentz) have his dignity and move on before you end up with egg on your face

if it doesn't turn out how you expected it.  

I tend to agree, but it seems like even the media members that cover Washington don’t like him. Have seen several awkward interviews, their GM basically banned one guy from getting interviews, so I don’t know if people are just jumping on the pile or maybe he just isn’t a likable dude. Guess either way focus on your team and not other players.

13 hours ago, Matabix said:

Starting OL was garbage. The sack on Ryan was Pinters fault. Fries guy stunted, Fries switched Pinter did not. French looked good. Fries was solid. Raimann looked consistent. Still want Smith at RG, Pryor RT, Raimann looks to gradually improving. Cut Foles, sign Fischer. Can't look past the OL play, which is suppose to be our best group to look at other groups.

“Garbage?”  A bit rough.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Matt Ryan is going to be fine, but sometimes I wish Irsay would stop running his mouth

beating the dead horse on Wentz.  You keep coming after that guy like that in public gloating 

because you think you found a better solution, but you just never know how things will turn out.

Let the man(Wentz) have his dignity and move on before you end up with egg on your face

Irsay didn’t run his mouth about Wentz last night.  The first question he was asked was about the meeting right after the Jags game.  Irsay then answered and talked about something of the chemistry being off all of last year.  He never said Wentz’s name once. What people did was assume (and probably correctly so) that he was talking about Wentz without saying it.  Well what he’s supposed to do?  He was asked a question and he answered it without saying anything directly about Wentz.  It’s not like they went so tell us about Taylor and he went you know what Wentz is a bum.

Happy with all but the second team defensive line which was poor. Drop Foles so Retch can give up on his refusal to accept former good QBs like Foles & Wentz and get on with the present. Solid kicking game, Chelsey, Weatherford and Lindsay were impressive and hopefully signed. Ehlinger has five TDs in three games and a monster QB rating and hopefully will get signed.  

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Happy with all but the second team defensive line which was poor. Drop Foles so Retch can give up on his refusal to accept former good QBs like Foles & Wents and get on with the present. Solid kicking game, Chelsey, Weatherford and Lindsay were impressive and hopefully signed. Ehlinger has five TDs in three games and a monster QB rating and hopefully will get signed.  

1.  It’s Wentz

2.  Sam and Lindsay are signed and on the active roster there is no need to sign them.

3.  Foles has played well and done exactly what they wanted him to do when brought in. He also has a guaranteed contract this year pretty much.  He’s not going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  It’s Wentz

2.  Sam and Lindsay are signed and on the active roster there is no need to sign them.

3.  Foles has played well and done exactly what they wanted him to do when brought in. He also has a guaranteed contract this year pretty much.  He’s not going anywhere.

Hopefully you are right that he is not going anywhere....... but on the sidelines.

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay didn’t run his mouth about Wentz last night.  The first question he was asked was about the meeting right after the Jags game.  Irsay then answered and talked about something of the chemistry being off all of last year.  He never said Wentz’s name once. What people did was assume (and probably correctly so) that he was talking about Wentz without saying it.  Well what he’s supposed to do?  He was asked a question and he answered it without saying anything directly about Wentz.  It’s not like they went so tell us about Taylor and he went you know what Wentz is a bum.

Im just expressing my overall feelings

I’m questioning the Dayo pick more and more. I haven’t seen anything about him that jumps out. I know he’s still getting back from injury. I hope he improves, but so far I haven’t seen anything to warrant the pick. 

47 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’m questioning the Dayo pick more and more. I haven’t seen anything about him that jumps out. I know he’s still getting back from injury. I hope he improves, but so far I haven’t seen anything to warrant the pick. 

Guess you didnt watch the Detroit or Buffalo games. Hes going to be fine.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

All they showed for game highlights were Brady’s plays.  One bad call on Gilmore and a no call on the Julio push off.  The starting D played pretty well.  

I’m not sure about Leonard as the Mike, but Bradley knows what he’s doing.  Grove is so underrated in this league.  If Kitty continues to improve, that D line is going to be good.  

Top 10 D IMO, maybe top 5.  

Cover 3 requires more Weak ans Sam coverage and the Mike as the "safety tackle", Bobby is our best cover LB and 53 is our best tackler/smart LB, makes sense.

Yesterday looked like Weatherford was the only LB making plays, but that's expected from the Mike in this system (not saying he did not played well, he did)

17 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

run defense is so bad.

The run defense certainly needs work, the mainiac mayhelp with that.

5 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Agree with you, the OL is not 2018-2021 Colts level, but I think we will be good enough..

Raimann looks solid for 90% of snaps, he was beat off the edge 1 and I saw 2 times he was slow run blocking (1 was goal line), but that's really expected as you said, the reps he's good, he's really good

Yeah, I definitely see the potential that scouts liked.  He’s clearly more athletic than the typical O-lineman.  In fact, I might even say that he’s the ideal prototype for an LT in a game that’s been revolutionized by the speed edge-rushers (other than his shortish arms we hear so much about).

But there’s a lot of technique involved there, too.  And it’s going to take some time for him to get proficient at that.

18 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

run defense is so bad.

The run defense certainly needs work, the mainiac mayhelp with that.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

I’m at that point as well.

that said. In Irsays defense, he was asked about it. He should have declined to comment further but it is what it is

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Guess you didnt watch the Detroit or Buffalo games. Hes going to be fine.

Exactly, he’s had two passes batted down. Multiple sacks and even more pressure.  Frankly, Dayo is the guy I want to see on the field more. Out of the reserves he’s the one guy who has consistently brought it. 

His pass rush from DE has been very good. I like him better there than DT.  I also like him better than Lewis. 

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Was listening to the Bring The Juice podcast. They said they think it might shake out to where we keep Coutee bc of special teams and see if we can put Strachan on the PS.  Im hoping we can keep him, but it wouldn't shock me if Strachan didn't make it.  Not just because of Coutee special teams ability, but also because of the existence of Pierce.  We've got a lot of big body WR, but not too many guys who can play the slot like Coutee can.  We shall see I guess!

I think Coutee is more likely to survive making it to the PS than MegaStrachan. Between Hines and Rodgers they have returns covered. If there’s an injury guys like Flowers and Price will be on the PS ready to fill in.  That’s if Flowers doesn’t make the roster. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

That was against 3’s. He hasn’t flashed and yesterday missed assignments 

You just have to have some kind of angle huh? Lol. Do you know how long its taken Grover Stewart to look like hes looking now? His first couple seasons people on this forum were talking about him like hes Banogu material. Young DL dont typically just come in blowing everybodys socks off. Yeah Dayo is a higher pick but it still stands. What you want to see is signs the guy gets it and you want to see plays made. Hes done that and its only early. Most of us can see his ability coming out. Youre too early with the war drums.

Honestly, I recognize that the back-up DTs aren’t the best at run D in these PS games; however, until Grover or DeForrest turn up injured, I’m not that concerned.  Those two are dynamite in that area.  Plus, I think Eric Johnson is going to come along.  Also, outside of Ngkoue, our DEs are pretty decent run defenders…

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

It was the first thing he was asked.  Enough already.  Hopefully that’s the last time it’s brought up.

Oh I know. Like I said, he should have deferred to his previous statements and left it at that. However, for at least the next 17 weeks, we’re gonna hear nothing but this question from the media over and over and over

Archived