Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Tampa at Colts (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts 08/27

EastStreet

2022 Tampa at Colts (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts 08/27

Same as previous years... please wait till the game is final to post.

Good

• Patmon!
  • Deon Jackson (receiving)
  • Ehlinger again! 
  • Strachan and Woods
  • Grover (TFLs)
  • Weatherfood
  • Chesley
  • Domann (TFL?)
  • Coutee and Flowers. 
  • Haack
  • Banogu
  • STs!!!

Mixed

• DL passing.... 

Bad

• DL rushing... 
  • 10ish minutes of Irsay.... 
  • 1H pass/routes scripting  (Reich)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The 1st team Oline was questionable until we got a good screen play - that kinda opened the game.
  • Ryan running had me hyper ventilating.
  • We only saw Pittman of the 1st team WRs. I don't like it.
  • 1st team defense was solid I think. We gave up a long run and a long pass, but the Bucs got given that DPI. Shouldn't have gotten that FG.
  • Special Teams was solid all game. The Bills gotta be crying right now...
  • Sam had another game! He's had an excellent preseason.
  • Patmon made a few plays and Woods and Strachan showed up too.
  • Weatherford had a terrific game!
  • 2nd team defense had a drive where they got run over, but bounced back I feel.
  • I feel like Banogu can't get anything done unless it's against 3rd teamers.

Punting is not a concern.

Ehlinger should be the backup. He’s earned it and he deserves it (I don’t care what anyone says about Foles blah blah)

weatherford will make the team

special teams really did well

banogu will not make the team despite a good game today.

Blanky was great even doing kickoffs today and I expect him to get better this year because he will have to kick off a lot (because we will score many points haha) and because it’s new to him here 

Starting offense I’m still concerned about. Haven’t seen anything that really makes me feel good about it. I’m sure that will change once Taylor and Hines are in the mix and the offense gels together after a few games.

flowers or keke will be the kick returner but I think they may lean more on keke over flowers.

glad that the regular season is just a short time away!

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Punting is not a concern.

Ehlinger should be the backup. He’s earned it and he deserves it (I don’t care what anyone says about Foles blah blah)

weatherford will make the team

special teams really did well

banogu will not make the team despite a good game today.

Blanky was great even doing kickoffs today and I expect him to get better this year because he will have to kick off a lot (because we will score many points haha) and because it’s new to him here 

Starting offense I’m still concerned about. Haven’t seen anything that really makes me feel good about it. I’m sure that will change once Taylor and Hines are in the mix and the offense gels together after a few games.

flowers or keke will be the kick returner but I think they may lean more on keke over flowers.

glad that the regular season is just a short time away!

I would disagree about Sam.  He’s earned his roster spot for sure but in order to move up someone has to move down.  Foles has done nothing to move down the depth chart. He’s played well too.  The Colts have three good QBs and I think they will keep all three. Ryan will be the starter.  Foles is going to be the backup and Sam will be third string learning from two very savy vets.  With that said I would not be shocked if Frank has a package for Sam like he did Jacoby a couple of years ago to take advantage of his skill set.

I could see Flowers or Keke as the return guy but remember Rodgers has been a very good return man and he’s out hurt.  If he’s healthy in order to make numbers work Rodgers probably takes that job.  

As for the starting offense the line is going to be a work in progress.  People need to remember they are trying to replace a pro-bowl level LT and an unrated RG.  You don’t lose two guys like that off your line and not feel it.  Also, the new guys need to develop chemistry and not having Kelly the past week did not help that.  I think they will struggle out of the gate but get better as the season goes along.  That said I don’t think they will be as good as they were few years ago because they don’t have AC or Glow.  

I also agree getting Taylor and Hines in there will completely change the offense.  In the pre-season with them not in there and a new QB in there who needs to build chemistry with his young WRs it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what the Colts are going to be working on so it’s easy to predict and attack.  Having Taylor and Hines in there will change that drastically.  

Starting OL was garbage. The sack on Ryan was Pinters fault. Fries guy stunted, Fries switched Pinter did not. French looked good. Fries was solid. Raimann looked consistent. Still want Smith at RG, Pryor RT, Raimann looks to gradually improving. Cut Foles, sign Fischer. Can't look past the OL play, which is suppose to be our best group to look at other groups.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would disagree about Sam.  He’s earned his roster spot for sure but in order to move up someone has to move down.  Foles has done nothing to move down the depth chart. He’s played well too.  The Colts have three good QBs and I think they will keep all three. Ryan will be the starter.  Foles is going to be the backup and Sam will be third string learning from two very savy vets.  With that said I would not be shocked if Frank has a package for Sam like he did Jacoby a couple of years ago to take advantage of his skill set.

I could see Flowers or Keke as the return guy but remember Rodgers has been a very good return man and he’s out hurt.  If he’s healthy in order to make numbers work Rodgers probably takes that job.  

As for the starting offense the line is going to be a work in progress.  People need to remember they are trying to replace a pro-bowl level LT and an unrated RG.  You don’t lose two guys like that off your line and not feel it.  Also, the new guys need to develop chemistry and not having Kelly the past week did not help that.  I think they will struggle out of the gate but get better as the season goes along.  That said I don’t think they will be as good as they were few years ago because they don’t have AC or Glow.  

I also agree getting Taylor and Hines in there will completely change the offense.  In the pre-season with them not in there and a new QB in there who needs to build chemistry with his young WRs it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what the Colts are going to be working on so it’s easy to predict and attack.  Having Taylor and Hines in there will change that drastically.  

If Foles wasn’t a veteran and had NOT taken the eagles to the super bowl and won…would he be the starter over Ehlinger just based on the play of the two? I think even if Foles didn’t have that super bowl run he’d have not been regarded as “good as he appears”.

So in my mind for one reason alone really that’s why he is the backup…if it was anyone other than Frank Reich as our HC Foles likely would not have been signed to this team and if he had been signed he clearly was outplayed by Sam.

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

If Foles wasn’t a veteran and had NOT taken the eagles to the super bowl and won…would he be the starter over Ehlinger just based on the play of the two? I think even if Foles didn’t have that super bowl run he’d have not been regarded as “good as he appears”.

So in my mind for one reason alone really that’s why he is the backup…if it was anyone other than Frank Reich as our HC Foles likely would not have been signed to this team and if he had been signed he clearly was outplayed by Sam.

But he is so if he wasn’t is irrelevant.

The D settled down at the end of the first drive (which was extended by a really bad PI call on Gilmore).    The D was pretty stout after that.  Grove is going to be all pro this year.  

As others have said, the offense goes through 28 and 21, so I’m not concerned.   Hope D Kelly is back soon.  We need at least 4 decent backups.   Raimann is getting a lot of snaps. Not great in pass D but he’ll get there.  

All the backup RBs look good.  The backup D played pretty well.  Going to be some hard cuts.  I wouldn’t count on getting some of the D players cut on the PS.  

Just because he took the eagles to the super bowl at this point is irrelevant IMO. Foles was outplayed by Ehlinger. Every time. Like I said. Anyone other than Reich and I think Sam is QB2 here.

It not just what you do in pre-season it’s who you do it against.  Foles did everything you’d ask a backup QB to do in the pre-season.  He’s not getting released or demoted.  The Colts wanted a vet backup and that hasn’t changed.  Sam has earned a spot on the 53 but he’s going to be a third QB who may have a package that Frank uses him for but heaven forbid Matt Ryan gets hurt it’s going to be Foles playing QB.

41 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not sure what to think yet about starting offense.

Patmon seems like a guy that they can rely on.

preseason is made for a guy like

Sam who plays San lot football.

run defense is so bad.

Hard to gauge O when no threat of Hines/Taylor to keep D honest. Those blitz packages will get smoked on Runs that Ryan checks the team into

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It not just what you do in pre-season it’s who you do it against.  Foles did everything you’d ask a backup QB to do in the pre-season.  He’s not getting released or demoted.  The Colts wanted a vet backup and that hasn’t changed.  Sam has earned a spot on the 53 but he’s going to be a third QB who may have a package that Frank uses him for but heaven forbid Matt Ryan gets hurt it’s going to be Foles playing QB.

Im well aware that Foles is the 2nd QB, we all are. Ehlinger did everything you want a backup QB to do and then some. We can agree to disagree as to why Foles is selected over Ehlinger. I do also think if we hadn’t given Foles the dumb (in my opinion) the contract we did it would be easier to cut him. His contract and Reich those are the main factors at play overall with Reich being the biggest factor why he is QB2

Im well aware that Foles is the 2nd QB, we all are. Ehlinger did everything you want a backup QB to do and then some. We can agree to disagree as to why Foles is selected over Ehlinger. I do also think if we hadn’t given Foles the dumb (in my opinion) the contract we did it would be easier to cut him. His contract and Reich those are the main factors at play overall with Reich being the biggest factor why he is QB2

No he didn’t because he didn’t play against second stringers.  He did it playing street ball, which the pre-season lends itself too vs guys who will be out of football by this time next week.  

The main factor to him being QB2 is that the Colts wanted a vet back up QB which Foles is and Sam isn’t.  You might not like that or agree with that and that’s fine but that’s why he’s here.  

As with the last few years, still not sold on our offense - we just don't have an electric receiving group.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see us doing well unless we sign a veteran presence.  I'd like to see TY back (I think he'd be MUCH better with Ryan) but I'd rather have gotten some of the great FA WR that were available earlier.

And the O line looks scary - I don't trust them.  WR that can't get open, and an O line that collapses fast.  We saw that last year and I didn't like it then either.

But there are good aspects of the team that we didn't have last year, so... we'll see.  Having JT play will be huge, but if he gets hurt we might as well give up SB hopes.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Starting OL was garbage. The sack on Ryan was Pinters fault. Fries guy stunted, Fries switched Pinter did not. French looked good. Fries was solid. Raimann looked consistent. Still want Smith at RG, Pryor RT, Raimann looks to gradually improving. Cut Foles, sign Fischer. Can't look past the OL play, which is suppose to be our best group to look at other groups.

It was not Pinter's fault.

Miscommunication/stunt.... Lavonte David

And it was Nelson in as LG. 

LG  \\\  C  ///  RG

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like the kid Thomas from Princeton that we drafted.   Marvell Tell Im not all the way sold on

if he makes it or not. Wouldn't be surprised if they replace him.

I have Tell out on my final roster.  Frankly I have Chesley, Flowers, Brown all a head of him for that final or final two CB spots.  Granted Flowers would mostly be for special teams play but when you are talking about the last position spot on a roster that’s often the deciding factor.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have Tell out on my final roster.  Frankly I have Chesley, Flowers, Brown all a head of him for that final or final two CB spots.  Granted Flowers would mostly be for special teams play but when you are talking about the last position spot on a roster that’s often the deciding factor.

I haven't gotten to pay that much attention to the corners this year, but when I was going over the highlights Venturi was talking during the game and he said he felt like Flowers could start.  Was he pumping him up too much?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I haven't gotten to pay that much attention to the corners this year, but when I was going over the highlights Venturi was talking during the game and he said he felt like Flowers could start.  Was he pumping him up too much?

Whenever I heard him talk about Flowers it was more for special teams.  Maybe he meant start on special teams?

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Whenever I heard him talk about Flowers it was more for special teams.  Maybe he meant start on special teams?

Said he was a potential starter and return guy.  But more so like not what he is as of right this minute.

Thinks he has a lot of talent to become something.  If it's true I'd consider keeping him over Tell though for the special teams value alone.  Could play backup corner and return kicks.  I believe I recall Venturi saying he thinks Flowers will probably wind up on the PS though.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Said he was a potential starter and return guy.  But he said it in terms of potential, not what he is as of right this minute.

Thinks he has a lot of talent. 

Yeah I took that to mean potential starter for special teams (like the coverage units).  If you watch the full broadcast he highlights his weakness in coverage but does want him on the PS which I agree with.  Guy can develop but I think the starter talk was more about special teams at least for now.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It was not Pinter's fault.

Miscommunication/stunt.... Lavonte David

And it was Nelson in as LG. 

LG  \\\  C  ///  RG

Yea Nelson had his, Fries was starting RG last night. It was Pinters guy, unless Fries didn't communicate. 

I think Matt Ryan is going to be fine, but sometimes I wish Irsay would stop running his mouth

beating the dead horse on Wentz.  You keep coming after that guy like that in public gloating 

because you think you found a better solution, but you just never know how things will turn out.

Let the man(Wentz) have his dignity and move on before you end up with egg on your face

if it doesn't turn out how you expected it.  

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Matt Ryan is going to be fine, but sometimes I wish Irsay would stop running his mouth

beating the dead horse on Wentz.  You keep coming after that guy like that in public gloating 

because you think you found a better solution, but you just never know how things will turn out.

Let the man(Wentz) have his dignity and move on before you end up with egg on your face

if it doesn't turn out how you expected it.  

It really is ridiculous how much he keeps trashing him.

I'd find a team in need of a QB who has an Oline available and deal Foles. I've never been impressed with him. He got benched at Jacksonville and didn't do squat in Chicago last year. He's been a one hit wonder with his SB performance in Philly and he keeps riding it to nice paychecks. If Ryan goes down, we're not going anywhere anyway. And Foles has shown me nothing this year that makes me feel good that he can come in and carry the team.

It will be interesting come cut down day to see if we pick up an Oline man or two. Our interior guys are not confidence inspiring, and Ryan is not fleet if foot. That's a bad combination. Pinter doesn't look like he has the size to play guard. Don't know his measurables, bit would he be better suited for one of the tackle positions because of his athleticism?

Archived