Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we trade Frank Reich for Dan Campbell please ?

jshipp23

Modern day Mike Ditka, I want a head coach players will follow and not take advantage of his softness...Just my humble opinion...This new Hard Knocks is good...Funny thing is we could've had him...Detroit will be a problem soon, mark my words...

14 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Modern day Mike Ditka, I want a head coach players will follow and not take advantage of his softness...Just my humble opinion...This new Hard Knocks is good...Funny thing is we could've had him...Detroit will be a problem soon, mark my words...

I like Dan Campbell but I prefer the Tony Dungy and Frank Reich type guys over the ornery screamers like Ditka, Zimmer and the like. Campbell does not strike me as ornery.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I like Dan Campbell but I prefer the Tony Dungy and Frank Reich type guys over the ornery screamers like Ditka, Zimmer and the like. Campbell does not strike me as ornery.

Yeah I don't get why some people are so fixated on a coach that screams at his players. Bill Cowher did it for 2 decades and had spittle coming out of his mouth and the dude only won 1 SB, the SB he won in 2005 was when Pitt had the REFS in their back pocket. Just because a coach acts like a normal human being on the sideline doesn't mean he doesn't hold players accountable. I would take Frank Reich over Dan Campbell easily. 

I can buy the argument that Tony Dungy was overrated because he had Peyton but let me say this, had it not been for the Pats we/he would've won more the 1 SB. I think we win in 2003 had the Pats not been in our way, maybe even in 2004. Nothing wrong with the Dungy's, Andy Reid types compared to someone spitting in your face lmao 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I don't get why some people are so fixated on a coach that screams at his players. Bill Cowher did it for 2 decades and had spittle coming out of his mouth and the dude only won 1 SB, the SB he won in 2005 was when Pitt had the REFS in their back pocket. Just because a coach acts like a normal human being on the sideline doesn't mean he doesn't hold players accountable. I would take Frank Reich over Dan Campbell easily. 

I can buy the argument that Tony Dungy was overrated because he had Peyton but let me say this, had it not been for the Pats we/he would've won more the 1 SB. I think we win in 2003 had the Pats not been in our way, maybe even in 2004. Nothing wrong with the Dungy's, Andy Reid types compared to someone spitting in your face lmao 

I mean look at Belichick. Rarely ever see him lose his mind on the sidelines. Yet he still holds his players accountable to the highest degree. Honestly, from a teaching and coaching standpoint, yelling in a person's face rarely ever gets you the results you want.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For all his screaming, Ditka won only one Super Bowl, if I recall correctly. Screaming only scares people. The players are human.

I love the Tony Dungy, Andy Reid, Dick Vermiel types. 

I do prefer some emotion in my head coach but I'm not giving up on Reich yet.  Let's see what he does this season.  If we miss the playoffs he should be gone. 

He would be better if he gave up the play calling duties.

It's humorous how many people in this thread have been letting us know that some coaches have only won 1 Superbowl (Cowher, Ditka) but defend Dungy who only won 1 Superbowl.  

You people take this way too serious...I do like Dan Campbell, but Reich just doesn't inspire me at all, and I'm sure the players feel similar..He is a doorknob, we always start slow and are never ready...He costs us a few games every year with dumb decisions...I want a head coach that helps us win games by his decisions..Between Reich and Pagano we've had basically 10 years of poor coaching..Imagine if we would have fired him and hired Sean Payton..I would be a lot more confident and we would probably be unstoppable with him calling the plays...

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It's humorous how many people in this thread have been letting us know that some coaches have only won 1 Superbowl (Cowher, Ditka) but defend Dungy who only won 1 Superbowl.  

Lol. Can you point out where people are defending Dungy for winning only one Super Bowl? 

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Can you point out where people are defending Dungy for winning only one Super Bowl? 

Up a bit you can find this:

"Yeah I don't get why some people are so fixated on a coach that screams at his players. Bill Cowher did it for 2 decades and had spittle coming out of his mouth and the dude only won 1 SB, the SB he won in 2005 was when Pitt had the REFS in their back pocket. 

I can buy the argument that Tony Dungy was overrated because he had Peyton but let me say this, had it not been for the Pats we/he would've won more the 1 SB. I think we win in 2003 had the Pats not been in our way, maybe even in 2004."

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

"Yeah I don't get why some people are so fixated on a coach that screams at his players. Bill Cowher did it for 2 decades and had spittle coming out of his mouth and the dude only won 1 SB, the SB he won in 2005 was when Pitt had the REFS in their back pocket. 

I can buy the argument that Tony Dungy was overrated because he had Peyton but let me say this, had it not been for the Pats we/he would've won more the 1 SB. I think we win in 2003 had the Pats not been in our way, maybe even in 2004."

How is that defending Dungy? I even said I can buy that he is overrated. 

59 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Apparently he thinks I did?? My point was he won as many SB's as Cowher did without screaming in someone's face. I don't really think that is defending him, it was more of a dig toward Cowher and to the people that think you need a screaming coach to win multiple SB's.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

You people take this way too serious...I do like Dan Campbell, but Reich just doesn't inspire me at all, and I'm sure the players feel similar..He is a doorknob, we always start slow and are never ready...He costs us a few games every year with dumb decisions...I want a head coach that helps us win games by his decisions..Between Reich and Pagano we've had basically 10 years of poor coaching..Imagine if we would have fired him and hired Sean Payton..I would be a lot more confident and we would probably be unstoppable with him calling the plays...

Ok, well yeah, anyone in the right mind would rather have Sean Payton over Reich. You get no argument from me there. Payton is twice the coach Campbell is.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

I have Reich as the 21st ranked coach in the NFL right now. He is below-average to me. Not completely incompetent, but not a good coach. IMO, he misses the playoffs this year, he should be fired. Last chance for him.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have Reich as the 21st ranked coach in the NFL right now. He is below-average to me. Not completely incompetent, but not a good coach. IMO, he misses the playoffs this year, he should be fired. Last chance for him.

I have Reich top 16, top half of the league but barely. I would say above average, slightly better than average. We could have worse. This is a tell all season for him if the team stays healthy and we fail.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Reich top 16, top half of the league but barely. I would say above average, slightly better than average. We could have worse. This is a tell all season for him if the team stays healthy and we fail.

The famous quote here is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. However, at this point, I've seen enough where I'm willing to risk it. He has one more chance from me. 

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The famous quote here is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. However, at this point, I've seen enough where I'm willing to risk it. He has one more chance from me. 

If we don't win the division this year with being healthy I will say this, I will be very disappointed. At that point who do you blame unless Matt Ryan is a total flop and I don't see that.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Apparently he thinks I did?? My point was he won as many SB's as Cowher did without screaming in someone's face. I don't really think that is defending him, it was more of a dig toward Cowher and to the people that think you need a screaming coach to win multiple SB's.

That is what I understood from you. That was my point too. I mentioned Dick Vermiel and Andy Reid along with Dungy, as they all won as many Super Bowls as Ditka did.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The point was that a coach that screams and spits in a player's face while berating a player does not necessarily win more than someone who does not. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Top-16?

I thought you had him roughly top-12/14?   Have you downgraded him?   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Top-16?

I thought you had him roughly top-12/14?   Have you downgraded him?   

I just used the top 16 to show I think like he is top half of the league. I do remember saying he was 12-14, 12-16 is tough to dissect. Like QB's, Matt Ryan can basically be ranked 10th in reality but also as low as 15th. It is nip and tuck. I definitely have Frank rated way higher than Jared. Jared has him at 21, that is too low IMO.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just used the top 16 to show I think like he is top half of the league. I do remember saying he was 12-14, 12-16 is tough to dissect. Like QB's, Matt Ryan can basically be ranked 10th in reality but also as low as 15th. It is nip and tuck. I definitely have Frank rated way higher than Jared. Jared has him at 21, that is too low IMO.

Fair enough. 

As for Jared….    Yeah, he thinks of Reich kinda the way Stud Muffin thinks of Eberflus.   Like the coach ran over their dog.   

Oh well…..   

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok, well yeah, anyone in the right mind would rather have Sean Payton over Reich. You get no argument from me there. Payton is twice the coach Campbell is.

Watch Detroit in next few years..Hope they give him a proper chance..He is changing the culture..

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Kind of like how you went off on the "Colts absolutely MUST take Barkley" campaign you riddled this board with for weeks? That kind of serious?

He looked a lot like Jonathan Taylor in their first preseason game..Maybe a victim of poor coaching and culture..I like Daniel Jones too, they might have a legit coach now..

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

He looked a lot like Jonathan Taylor in their first preseason game..Maybe a victim of poor coaching and culture..I like Daniel Jones too, they might have a legit coach now..

You and Moosejawcolt must have the same talent evaluation coach 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am not sure why @Mylesread my post differently?

I must have read it wrong.   I thought that when you mentioned that he could have won more if not for the Patriots was a defense of him only winning 1 Superbowl.   I apologize.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just look at how much Peyton turned the ball over before and after Dungy came along. He hired good coaches like Jim Caldwell and got us to play excellent percentage ball where, if we lost, it would not be because we shot ourselves in our foot too many times. We always made good adjustments at the half for so many regular season games during Peyton's comebacks. We all know it wasn't just Peyton during those comebacks, including the 2006 season AFCCG. The screws were tightened on the defensive side as well. If the D didn't make all those stops for Peyton in the 2nd half of the AFCCG, Peyton probably doesn't have the chance to get us back. 

Dungy may not be a Top 10 coach all time but he belongs in the Top 20 conversation for what he did across franchises. Gruden, after making a tweak or two offensively to the Bucs team Dungy basically got playing together, won the SB, especially on the heels of that Dungy D, IMO. However Gruden's big mouthing didn't get him back too far after the tuck rule game. We didn't fire Dungy after the 2005 loss to the Steelers, like the Bucs moved on from Dungy. That is when everything came together and we won our SB.

I am not sure what my all-time top 10 coaching list would be: Maybe something like,

1. Vince Lombardi - old school but his teams dominated pre SB era and in the SB era.

2. Bill Belichick (his history of cheating though bothers me)

3. Chuck Knoll

4. Bill Walsh

5. Don Shula

6. Tom Landry

7. Joe Gibbs (won 3 SB's with 3 different QB's) 

8. Jimmy Johnson (short career but what he did to rebuild Dallas was priceless)

9. John Madden

10. Tony Dungy - I can see Dungy here. Dungy did a good job in Tampa as well. He just wasn't on Bill Belichick's level unfortunately. I think Dungy was slightly better than Bill Parcells, Mike Ditka, Dick Vermeil, and Andy Reid. 

Way back in the day you had coaches George Halas and Paul Brown as well but man that was so long ago that it is tough to rank those guys?? Vince was Vince - everyone knows who he is, most people have him as the GOAT or 2nd behind BB. 

Archived