Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Thought On Pinter Playing Center And Kelly Playin RG During OTA's

LiveAndLetAddai

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if the Colts felt Pinter's athleticism would be better used at center and Kelly's strength better utilized at Right Guard?  I feel Pinter is definately the more athletic one and Kelly is most likely the stronger one, which would match the positional needs better.  Just a thought....

I think our scheme requires more athleticism from the guard position with all the pulling and getting into space.  Didn't Ballard even come out and say this was just to get Pinter center experience for emergency situations, and that there was zero intention to swap their positions?

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

They have said multiple times that it is simply due to the fact that Pinter is the backup C. Don't read too much into it bud. If Kelly is healthy, he is our Center. 

Who are "they"?  Kelly is an over rated Center at best and Pinter has the athletiscism to actually pull from the center position, ala Maewae (sp?)....Kelly does not, hence my reasoning.

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

I think our scheme requires more athleticism from the guard position with all the pulling and getting into space.  Didn't Ballard even come out and say this was just to get Pinter center experience for emergency situations, and that there was zero intention to swap their positions?

Did he?

1 hour ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Who are "they"?  Kelly is an over rated Center at best and Pinter has the athletiscism to actually pull from the center position, ala Maewae (sp?)....Kelly does not, hence my reasoning.

Did he?

Its an interview of Frank Reich. Go click Videos at the top of the website. He wasked directly by a reporter about Pinter getting snaps. They said it was due to the fact he is still the backup center. 

There's no conspiracy here. And if you wanna talk about Kelly being a trash center, do it with someone else. I'm not gonna argue some nonsense. Everyone knows Kelly is at worst, a good center. 

9 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Its an interview of Frank Reich. Go click Videos at the top of the website. He wasked directly by a reporter about Pinter getting snaps. They said it was due to the fact he is still the backup center. 

There's no conspiracy here. And if you wanna talk about Kelly being a trash center, do it with someone else. I'm not gonna argue some nonsense. Everyone knows Kelly is at worst, a good center. 

I said "over rated", not "trash"...smh..

Hey, this seemed like a possibility even before OTAs.  Pinter played center really well last year, I thought.  Kelly had a bit of an off year.  I expect Strasser to move them around during TC and come up with the best lineup for Game 1.  Same thing with Pryor and Raimann and Dennis Kelly, etc.  TC is going to be a good OL competition.  I’m only certain that Nelson, Smith, and Ryan Kelly will start somewhere on that line…

Our O.Line starters to begin the year will more than likely be:

LT - Pryor

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Pinter

RT - Smith

-It is great to have depth on the Line though because we could enter change a few guys or if there is a major injury that occurs. Raimann has me intrigued because I think he can be really good. Fries has potential as well.

19 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if the Colts felt Pinter's athleticism would be better used at center and Kelly's strength better utilized at Right Guard?  I feel Pinter is definately the more athletic one and Kelly is most likely the stronger one, which would match the positional needs better.  Just a thought....

Interesting idea.  Thanks for sharing!!

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our O.Line starters to begin the year will more than likely be:

LT - Pryor

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Pinter

RT - Smith

-It is great to have depth on the Line though because we could enter change a few guys or if there is a major injury that occurs. Raimann has me intrigued because I think he can be really good. Fries has potential as well.

I think Rain Man and Pryor is close to 50/50 on who starts game 1, it is one of the most competitive spots right now. Nice to have two solid options after what we struggled with last season.

10 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think Rain Man and Pryor is close to 50/50 on who starts game 1, it is one of the most competitive spots right now. Nice to have two solid options after what we struggled with last season.

I think the fans want it be that close.  Unless Pryor is just awful they are going to do what most teams do go with the vet while the rookie develops.  It’s a lot easier to pull a vet and go to the rookie midway through the season if you need to than pull a rookie and go to the vet without ruining the rookie for the future. 

16 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I wouldn’t say solid, they are viable options. I think its 50/50 that one of them works out as our long term LT. 

Pryor is a 6th round pick that was traded from his team for a 6th and 7th pick swap.  He has started 13 games is 4yrs. The other is a 3rd round rookie with supposed medical issues. Dennis Kelly was brought in for a reason bc they both could flop. 

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I wouldn’t say solid, they are viable options. I think its 50/50 that one of them works out as our long term LT. 

Pryor is a 6th round pick that was traded from his team for a 6th and 7th pick swap.  He has started 13 games is 4yrs. The other is a 3rd round rookie with supposed medical issues. Dennis Kelly was brought in for a reason bc they both could flop. 

Pryor had weigh issues and Philly didnt think he would get them fixed,he did last year and exceeded the expectations even we had for him. He played well across the board.  Rain Man fell because of age and not having played the position for many years but was a natural and dominated,he was thought as a first round pick by many. Dennis Kelly is nice insurance if both flop or get banged up,every club should have a vet like that hanging around. Another good move in our offseason.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Pryor had weigh issues and Philly didnt think he would get them fixed,he did last year and exceeded the expectations even we had for him. He played well across the board.  Rain Man fell because of age and not having played the position for many years but was a natural and dominated,he was thought as a first round pick by many. Dennis Kelly is nice insurance if both flop or get banged up,every club should have a vet like that hanging around. Another good move in our offseason.

Definitely will be the position to watch on the OL.  I still think our future LT is not on the roster yet and will be drafted after we choose our future QB.  Both Pryor and Rain Man have intriguing upside with high ceilings. At worst one of them should be a serviceable starter or swing tackle for the next few years. 

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Definitely will be the position to watch on the OL.  I still think our future LT is not on the roster yet and will be drafted after we choose our future QB.  Both Pryor and Rain Man have intriguing upside with high ceilings. At worst one of them should be a serviceable starter or swing tackle for the next few years. 

jeez that takes the LT question at least two years out...

not very optimistic...

dang!

4 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

jeez that takes the LT question at least two years out...

not very optimistic...

dang!

When it comes to starting tackles, numbers are heavily skewed towards the first and second round of the draft. Somewhere around 60%. We have several indicators that Pryor or Rain Man could be exceptions so I will say I’m cautiously optimistic.  One of them could work out long term for us and for salary cap purposes, I hope it is Rain Man. 

18 hours ago, Four2itus said:

That is something that is not posted often on a Colts board in relation to the o-line. 

I completely agree. Ballard said that is what he wanted and he has managed a solid o line. Last year as well. I hope the d line shapes up the same. 

On 7/24/2022 at 12:53 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I think the fans want it be that close.  Unless Pryor is just awful they are going to do what most teams do go with the vet while the rookie develops.  It’s a lot easier to pull a vet and go to the rookie midway through the season if you need to than pull a rookie and go to the vet without ruining the rookie for the future. 

Two things could change it. Pryor is awful or gets hurt. Raimann just blows things out of the water. My fever dream is to have a left side so good Ryan rarely needs to be concerned about his blind side. Reality is probably that Pryor starts and he needs a lot of help from the TE. 

Kelly might be the 6th best OL at this point. He's declined the past couple years, and it's pretty obvious. 

Maybe he rebounds this year, maybe he doesn't. But if we're looking simply at games last season, Pinter easily looked better than Kelly.

If Raimann and Pryor both look good (and Kelly is not noticeably better), it may make sense to use Pryor at RG, give Raimann a shot at LT, and let Pinter take over at Center. 

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly might be the 6th best OL at this point. He's declined the past couple years, and it's pretty obvious. 

Maybe he rebounds this year, maybe he doesn't. But if we're looking simply at games last season, Pinter easily looked better than Kelly.

If Raimann and Pryor both look good (and Kelly is not noticeably better), it may make sense to use Pryor at RG, give Raimann a shot at LT, and let Pinter take over at Center. 

That would be nice and not a lot of draft capital tied up in that scenario. Plus, it would dramatically reduce the salaries spent on the Oline moving forward.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He went through a lot last year. Between Covid then losing his baby all within a week or two. The oline was a mess all around. I think we need to see what happens this season before making judgements.

BTW way looks like fries is getting backup center snaps and inter at RG. At least today.

I imagine we will know who will be starting day one by the middle of august. They are going to want LT solved before the season starts. Now whether that person keeps the job after the season starts still has to be seen. I worry Rainmann is going to win it and his inexperience will cost us early in the season and we will lose a couple games until Pryor comes in and saves the day.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, EastStreet said:

I have to be honest:  it worries me that both of the guys being considered for LT1 have such little (and in BR’s case, none) experience playing LT in the NFL.

There’s a reason teams spend as much as they do on that position.

If the Colts have as much faith as they say they have in Pryor, why’d he only get a 1 year deal?

I hope my concerns turn out to be unfounded.

38 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I have to be honest:  it worries me that both of the guys being considered for LT1 have such little (and in BR’s case, none) experience playing LT in the NFL.

If the Colts have as much faith as they say they have in Pryor, why’d he only get a 1 year deal?

Why would they pay  him LT money before he has a full/ season. On the flip side why would Pryor take cheap money to play LT when if he proves himself this year he will get paid a ton of money. The one year was good for both sides.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That would be nice and not a lot of draft capital tied up in that scenario. Plus, it would dramatically reduce the salaries spent on the Oline moving forward.

Honestly I don't care about the salaries as much as wanting the best 5 starting. 

But sure, the cap relief certainly would help. Given long term big contracts of Nelson and Smith, the other 3 spots is where we can find savings. And LT is not a place you can find savings unless it's with a rook. 

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He went through a lot last year. Between Covid then losing his baby all within a week or two. The oline was a mess all around. I think we need to see what happens this season before making judgements.

I agree to an extent. But he was declining prior to last season. 

It was a completely horrible year for him last season, so I cut him a lot of slack.

Hoping he rebounds, but he needs to get back to the level he was when he signed the extension. If not, Pinter's strong play at OC deserves a look. Regardless, the best 5 should be on the field. 

10 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

MP's highest graded week was at LT. And it was clearly a big improvement over Fisher. 

It's not like I'm super confident in him, but I'd say likely wins the battle, and does pretty good. 

Not like a top 5 LT, but top 16ish, which would be more than fine with Q next door, and a big upgrade over last season.

If he finally has his body right, and keeps it that way, I think he can be very effective. 

And at worst, he'll be a pretty good RG if he doesn't hack it at LT. 

I'm also high on BR's ceiling. I do think it's too early to start him, but I loved the film that I watched. 

Overall, I wish we had our old OL coach. He has a great track record of finding the best 5 regardless of assumed position. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Why would they pay  him LT money before he has a full/ season. On the flip side why would Pryor take cheap money to play LT when if he proves himself this year he will get paid a ton of money. The one year was good for both sides.

That’s kinda my point.  They don’t have the confidence in him for anything more.

I’m not griping about his 1 year deal.  I’m saying that I’m concerned about the position.  I hope I’m wrong.  But I fear it might be a common refrain this season.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

That’s kinda my point.  They don’t have the confidence in him for anything more.

I’m not griping about his 1 year deal.  I’m saying that I’m concerned about the position.  I hope I’m wrong.  But I fear it might be a common refrain this season.

Has  nothing to do with confidence. He has to prove he can play the position first.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Mmmm, I want to see one more year from him before I agree with this. 

I'm hoping he rebounds too. As far as grades are concerned, he might have been 6th or even 7th. 

But he had a lot going on. Hopefully he's recharged, healthy, and ready to knock some ducks in the dirt. 

Archived