Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Fox Added To Coaching Staff

Colt.45

Tells me they want someone helping Bradley out, which is a good call.  Bradley hasn't exactly fielded consistently good defenses in his career.  Here's his "scoring defense" rankings as DC over the years:

2009: (Seahawks DC) 25th

2010: (Seahawks DC) 27th

2011: (Seahawks DC) 7th

2012: (Seahawks DC) 1st

2013: (Jaguars HC) 28th

2014: (Jaguars HC) 26th

2015: (Jaguars HC) 31st

2016: (Jaguars HC) 24th

2017: (Chargers DC) 1st

2018: (Chargers DC) 11th

2019: (Chargers DC) 13th

2020: (Chargers DC) 23rd

2021:  (Raiders DC) 26th

His most impressive season was his first with the Chargers, where they went from the 20s the season before he joined them to 1st overall in scoring.  Overall looking at his performance over 13 years 8 of his teams were in the bottom third of the league in points allowed.  I think his stretch with Jacksonville didn't do him any favors, however it's clear that he's not a top defensive mind in this league.  At least from where I'm sitting.

We could credit him with the Legion of Boom and he is deserving of that however he also was under a defensive head coach.

Projecting him with the Colts defense he probably needs more help in the secondary to put up a top unit.  The good thing is he has demonstrated he can lead a top defense when he's got the pieces.  Bad thing is I see him as a bit of a JAG as a coordinator, he's a guy who needs that top talent level to perform.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its done on all 32 teams.   They’re called ASSISTANT COACHES!!   I’m simply saying I think our O-staff lacks a seasoned voice that might get Frank’s attention.   I think you’re badly over-thinking this. 

The Colts are an extremely well run franchise.   They just did the exact same thing for the defensive side of the ball for our new, but veteran D-Coordinator.   And now you’re amazed that this is a thing?!?    

It’s not the same thing.  John Fox wasn’t hired to make sure Bradley doesn’t blitz 27 times in a row or vice versa. He is most likely there to help game plan and possibly see in depth details that can be missed.  Like on 3rd down if they use a certain formation it means they will attack a certain side or area of the field. Or a back isn’t looking to pick up a block before starting their route out of the backfield so try a blitz to his side. That kind of stuff 

I believe Reich said he has or needs someone to remind him to run the ball bc he gets too pass happy and won’t call them.  This complete one dimensional thing Reich does is what I think he was fired for in San Diego. I’m all for assistants helping with the finer tweaking of schemes but to straight up need someone to tell you to not pass it for 2 straight quarters is ridiculous. It’s like the two years I went undefeated in paper rocks and scissors against my daughter bc she would always throw rock. 

Maybe my dislike for Reich is clouding my judgment a bit but I still don’t like it. I know the Colts are a well ran organization but I don’t think they are well coached. I think he is average and cost multiple games a year.  

On 3/28/2022 at 12:33 PM, Goatface Killah said:

Written by a snot nosed kid whos biggest accomplishment is taking shots at people who have done things in their life that were actually worthwhile.

Our society is just gross.

You just won the internet for the month of March.  SPOT ON!!

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

Tells me they want someone helping Bradley out, which is a good call.  Bradley hasn't exactly fielded consistently good defenses in his career.  Here's his "scoring defense" rankings as DC over the years:

His most impressive season was his first with the Chargers, where they went from the 20s the season before he joined them to 1st overall in scoring.  Overall looking at his performance over 13 years 8 of his teams were in the bottom third of the league in points allowed.  I think his stretch with Jacksonville didn't do him any favors, however it's clear that he's not a top defensive mind in this league.  At least from where I'm sitting.

We could credit him with the Legion of Boom and he is deserving of that however he also was under a defensive head coach.

Projecting him with the Colts defense he probably needs more help in the secondary to put up a top unit.  The good thing is he has demonstrated he can lead a top defense when he's got the pieces.  Bad thing is I see him as a bit of a JAG as a coordinator, he's a guy who needs that top talent level to perform.

I’m less worried about them becoming a “scoring” defense I’d rather continue to build on being a defense that creates turnovers. 

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

I’m less worried about them becoming a “scoring” defense I’d rather continue to build on being a defense that creates turnovers. 

Turnovers is historically one of the most unpredictable and inconsistent stats in football. Building a defense that relies primarily on forcing turnovers to keep points off the board is a recipe for disaster. 

Forcing turnovers is a good thing, of course. But along with it, we need to be better against the pass -- 6.3 net yards/attempt and an 18% pressure rate is substandard. We're bad on third down, and bad in the red zone. We even got leaky against the run last season. 

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Bradley and Fox have been rated 2 of the 50 worst head coaches. This is not to say that they are bad assistant, coordinator or position coaches, but it highlights that being a head coach takes a very different skillset than other forms of coaching. 

37 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Bradley and Fox have been rated 2 of the 50 worst head coaches. This is not to say that they are bad assistant, coordinator or position coaches, but it highlights that being a head coach takes a very different skillset than other forms of coaching. 

Rated by who?

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Never heard of that website. Everyone has their opinion. Hard to knock a guy who's taken two franchises to the SB.....maybe there's a case to kill him with, but worst two? Yeah, doesnt smell right.

Perfectly understandable. They never heard of you, too.

30 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

For what it’s worth….  

As a media guy with 30 years of experience all in Los Angeles, I’ll share this…. 

I had never ever heard of this website before. I clicked on your link, and looked for the writers name.   And he kinda, sorta gave it….

His name is Darren.  That’s it.   Darren.   No last name.   I won’t say this is a red flag, this is a parade of red flags!    He’d have more credibility if he had left his name completely out of it and let his work stand in its own.   

I wouldn’t give his work a second thought. 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think you read my post clearly.  

I said I want a move like this for our offense.  I’m glad we’re doing it for the defense, but hope we do it for the offense as well. 

I agree. I think it's a great add. Fox has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know.

I like that he's an extra pair of eyes that can help Bradley out.

Let be honest here. Bradley's defenses have been a bit underwhelming in recent years.

But if he could transition over to offense and help frank out that would be great.

He could work his way up to "Assistant HC"

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….  

As a media guy with 30 years of experience all in Los Angeles, I’ll share this…. 

I had never ever heard of this website before. I clicked on your link, and looked for the writers name.   And he kinda, sorta gave it….

His name is Darren.  That’s it.   Darren.   No last name.   I won’t say this is a red flag, this is a parade of red flags!    He’d have more credibility if he had left his name completely out of it and let his work stand in its own.   

I went further and clicked on his name. All it shows is a picture… nothing else… really odd… and I hate saying it but the dude does not fit the bill as a sports media type. More like a “side hobby blogger”… 

10 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Al coaches need talent. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….  

I believe this is Darren Rovell, Sports Business Reporter for ActionNetworkHQ. He's worked for ESPN. Yes, he is controversial, but please read carefully what I wrote. The skillset for a successful HC is different than that of an assistant, coordinator or position coach. 

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

I believe this is Darren Rovell, Sports Business Reporter for ActionNetworkHQ. He's worked for ESPN. Yes, he is controversial, but please read carefully what I wrote. The skillset for a successful HC is different than that of an assistant, coordinator or position coach. 

I’m one hundred percent confident this is NOT Darren Revell.   Not a chance. 

First, Darren Revell is a major media name, so he signs his full name.  Second, Darren’s world is the BUSINESS of sports.   So he does NOT rank coaches.   He would never care about anything like this.   He stays in his lane.  He is a major media brand.   And, NO, Darren Revell is absolutely NOT controversial.   He reports on business.  It’s straight forward black and white numbers.  There’s no opinion there to be viewed as controversial. 

Third, this is likely a young guy working out of his parents basement.    He is a giant Nothing Burger.   Honestly.   Sorry. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Turnovers is historically one of the most unpredictable and inconsistent stats in football. Building a defense that relies primarily on forcing turnovers to keep points off the board is a recipe for disaster. 

Forcing turnovers is a good thing, of course. But along with it, we need to be better against the pass -- 6.3 net yards/attempt and an 18% pressure rate is substandard. We're bad on third down, and bad in the red zone. We even got leaky against the run last season. 

I would think being a scoring defense is far much more unpredictable and inconsistent.

I think Fox will be important to keep Reich balanced in his play calling and team focused in winning games. His lack of attention and leadership contributed to the demise of the last two games. Irsay does not want that to happen again.

If it is true that Wentz was not following this coaches instruction and taking game strategy in his own hand, then it was the HC to reel him in, including discipline him. Ron Rivera will not let that happen. If you see Heinecke start as QB, you can say that Wentz is done as NFL QB. 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:30 PM, PRnum1 said:

I agree. I think it's a great add. Fox has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know.

I like that he's an extra pair of eyes that can help Bradley out.

Let be honest here. Bradley's defenses have been a bit underwhelming in recent years.

But if he could transition over to offense and help frank out that would be great.

He could work his way up to "Assistant HC"

That’s the problem with Fox. He’s forgot more about the the game and fails to be able to react as the game plays on. I’ve seen him do this with the Bears years ago. Highly doubt now that he’s older will be much of an asset. 

Archived