Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

In all honesty, if we all take a step back, we should realize that we all should have seen this coming. Actually, we did and somehow seemed to neglect it early after Wentz was traded up to and including right now

We are currently being hurt because there are/were just too many teams that needed or wanted different QBs this year. Think about it if Brady didn't come back and Tampa was looking too

Tampa

NO

Browns

Colts

Broncos

Packers

Giants

Washington

Panthers

Steelers

Niners

Texans

Raiders

Eagles

Lions

Seahawks

Falcons

Vikings

that's over 1/2 the league and I might be even missing a couple

This is why it was potentially bad to be in the QB business in 2022 and to make matters worse, the Colts, although having more money once Wentz was gone, had nothing else to offer in players or Pick compensation to give us an edge

This is the story

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If that’s all they have to give up for Baker they could still draft a QB. Then if Baker plays well he has a lot of trade value. Or you can trade the rookie they draft. I just don’t know what kind of personality Baker has and how that would fly.

Never mind Baker would be a free agent. But still no committment either way.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If that’s all they have to give up for Baker they could still draft a QB. Then if Baker plays well he has a lot of trade value. Or you can trade the rookie they draft. I just don’t know what kind of personality Baker has and how that would fly.

I imagine if they got Baker and didn't work out they would draft rookie next year

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I imagine if they got Baker and didn't work out they would draft rookie next year

Either way this year or next it wouldn’t really matter. Just depends on how sold they are on a certain QB this year. Or were they just going to take one to take one. Seems by their actions they really like someone. 

All the QBs left, including Baker and Jimmy G, are who you spend day 3 picks on to take a “flyer”. They have talent and MAY work out but chances are more that they won’t be the guy. It would not bother me one bit if we weren’t willing to give up more than a 3rd(gave it one round increase bc it’s a QB). The draft is where we find a franchise QB. We may strikeout there but we may also have someone for the next decade.  You take a chance when the price is great...not market value and you definitely don’t over pay. I would rather sign a low end FA then give up any substantial capital for Baker or Jimmy G. 

Ballard has a good eye for talent but is a lousy GM if you plan on being a contender. He can assemble a roster that will get you to .500 but will never take the risks it takes to get you to the next level. Other teams in " cap hell" manage to manipulate the numbers and sign difference makers to contend but the Colts who had $70 m act like we are a team in cap hell. It's going to be a long upcoming season. Hopefully, it's Ballards last with the Colts.

I think with Baker only having a year left on his contract that hurts the draft capital they will get for him. Teams won’t give up a lot for a guy they might have for a year.

NO seems to be set on bringing Winston back.

Panthers already have Darnold on his fifth year option. They probably won’t go get another 5th year option guy. Jimmy G or Mariota makes more sense there.  Or  they can draf next month.

Seahaeks like Lock. They are probably a more Mariota or Jimmy guy too. 

All these teams are in position to draft a rookie this year so not sure Baker makes s lot of sense for them.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Either way this year or next it wouldn’t really matter. Just depends on how sold they are on a certain QB this year. Or were they just going to take one to take one. Seems by their actions they really like someone. 

The QB class next year is going to be a lot stronger.  Someone (Bowen, Chappell??) said if the fourth best QB from next years class came out this year, he’d be first.  

Ballard really has to shore up the LT spot, and he’s not going into Free Agency with any gusto.  He could just be waiting until the market dies down.  That’s a good way to miss out on the best guys though.  

Either way, draft a guy this year for the future.  Second most important position on offense and he’s all but ignored it.  

Tampa Brady

Saints Winston (probably)

Browns Watson 

Colts Trade or Rookie or FA

Broncos Wilson

Packers Rodgers 

Giants Jones

Washington Wentz

Panthers Trade or Rookie or FA

Steelers Trubisky and Rookie probably

Niners Lance or Jimmy stays 

Texans Mills 

Raiders Carr 

Eagles Hurts

Lions Goff and Rookie possibly 

Seahawks Lock and Rookie possibly

Falcons Ryan and Rookie possibly 

Vikings Cousins

This is where we are currently 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Tampa Brady

Saints Winston (probably)

Browns Watson 

Colts Trade or Rookie

Broncos Wilson

Packers Rodgers 

Giants Jones

Washington Wentz

Panthers Trade or Rookie

Steelers Trubisky and Rookie probably

Niners Lance or Jimmy stays 

Texans Mills 

Raiders Carr 

Eagles Hurts

Lions Goff and Rookie possibly 

Seahawks Lock and Rookie possibly

Falcons Ryan and Rookie possibly 

Vikings Cousins

This is where we are currently 

Trade or rookie  or freeagent

39 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They do.  His name is Sam.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I saw a comment this morning about Ballard being a good scout but a lousy GM. I am starting to believe that.

I wouldn’t say bad GM, but I’ve said that I really like his eye for talent but have problems with certain philosophies. Mostly his apparent lack of value in WR’s and overall lack of activity in FA.

Although, as for his eye of talent, I’ve definitely disagreed with certain DL picks. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Only true if they didn't have teams bidding for him. IMO there will be at least 2 teams willing to give up assets for him. 

Teams can also leverage the fact that we don’t have a QB. If Winston re-signs with the Saints, we have even less leverage. It’s a two-way street. 

Teams know we aren’t going into the draft with Ehlinger as our starting QB. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

the Colts who had $70 m act like we are a team in cap hell.

I think players around the NFL are starting to see that.  I think Flus and other coaches might use that as a selling point.  Its been going on for years but the $70m sort of makes the image pretty clear, IMO.

Right now I would be thrilled if we traded for Jordan Love.  If he came out this year he reportedly would be the 1st quarterback taken in the draft.  Probably a top ten pick.  I can’t get over that.  He will never see the field in GB.  Let’s give him his shot.  What the hell.

Here's a hot take - I'm not that worried that we don't have a QB right now. We WILL have one. You don't need a QB in March. Any difference a QB might make for attracting FAs is negated by the quality of QBs that are in consideration. Noone is coming to the Colts because we have Marcus Mariota or Jimmy G or Mayfield. Those are not the QBs that seriously move the needle when it comes to attracting FAs. :dunno:

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think players around the NFL are starting to see that.  I think Flus and other coaches might use that as a selling point.  Its been going on for years but the $70m sort of makes the image pretty clear, IMO.

Ya gotta spend money to make money, as they say.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's a hot take - I'm not that worried that we don't have a QB right now. We WILL have one. You don't need a QB in March. Any difference a QB might make for attracting FAs is negated by the quality of QBs that are in consideration. Noone is coming to the Colts because we have Marcus Mariota or Jimmy G or Mayfield. Those are not the QBs that seriously move the needle when it comes to attracting FAs. :dunno:

This shouldn't even be considered a hot take. It is a sensible take. Anyone who takes a small breath and looks around would come to this same conclusion or something close because it's the logical one.

Teams with QBs don't give them away. Teams with bad QBs want to package them and ship their problem onto the next team. We're taking our time because these names in the market are pretty fungible, we'll try to get the best one but we're going to bid Dollar General prices. 

FA will come IF you have one of the best five QBs in the league. And even then, that's a MAYBE. That's just one additional factor of tons that they consider. These are guys with girlfriends/wives, kids, family to think of, and that's just the immediate concern, add in the host of other concerns and you see why players might not prioritize playing with a star QB as one of their major decision making factors. There are a few players every offseason like Deshaun and Chandler Jones might look at a roster and make decisions based off that, to most others, that factor doesnt hold as much weight. If it did, we'd have got better than Laron Landry and Andre Johnson to come play here when Luck was the hottest QB in the league. 

Archived