Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rich Eisen on Colts QB rumor

Coltsfan0112

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

1) What could the Colts offer in return that may tempt the Raiders?  

2) Doesn’t that then put the Raiders in dire need of a QB?

I'm assuming Wentz because his contract is no good after this year and multiple firsts with maybe a 3rd. Not saying it will happen like that but it does have me wondering though because last year it was reported Colts checking on Carr before Wentz. Maybe the new GM and Josh don't want to pay Carr 40 million. I just find that tidbit from Eisein interesting.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I’ve said it before, Wilson and Carr are the only possible upgrades out there.  

How it’s pulled off, that’s anyone’s guess.

I could see with the right offer the Raiders would do it.  No guarantee but anything is possible.

10 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I'm assuming Wentz because his contract is no good after this year and multiple firsts with maybe a 3rd. Not saying it will happen like that but it does have me wondering though because last year it was reported Colts checking on Carr before Wentz. Maybe the new GM and Josh don't want to pay Carr 40 million. I just find that tidbit from Eisein interesting.

Colts play raiders. That would be so awkward.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Colts play raiders. That would be so awkward.

Also play the Eagles in Indy.  So if Carson or Carr is the QB, they’d want to play their best to show their formal teams what they gave away.  

Not awkward, motivating.  

10 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Obviously I'm sure Colts are looking at all Qb options but at the combine he heard that Colts are looking at Carr. At 2:20 is when he talks about Wentz and the Indy rumor from the combine. 

I can roll with Carr

10 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I could see with the right offer the Raiders would do it.  No guarantee but anything is possible.

It can get done, if the Colts are willing to pay the price.  You’re probably on tracks with giving them Wentz and a first, and maybe Kelly.

Who knows, maybe McDaniels has more faith in Jimmy G than Carr?  Three way deals have happened.  

But getting back to (over)paying the price…has that ever fit Ballards MO?  Especially, in hindsight, when he’s already done it for Carson and was burned.  Is he a “keep swinging until you get a hit” kind of guy?   I really don’t know.  

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It can get done, if the Colts are willing to pay the price.  You’re probably on tracks with giving them Wentz and a first, and maybe Kelly.

Who knows, maybe McDaniels has more faith in Jimmy G than Carr?  Three way deals have happened.  

But getting back to (over)paying the price…has that ever fit Ballards MO?  Especially, in hindsight, when he’s already done it for Carson and was burned.  Is he a “keep swinging until you get a hit” kind of guy?   I really don’t know.  

That’s my hope is that McDaniels wants Jimmy and then is willing to take some draft capital for Carr to help with what they gave up. 

The Colts are not getting Russell. They're not getting Rodgers. They're not getting Carr. None of those teams are in the situation the Lions were when they let Stafford walk. None of those guys are in the Patriots situation with Brady. These teams are not insane, they know what it means to try to find a franchise QB, why would they let the ones they have walk? I think we're dreaming, which is okay because it's the off season and what else is there to do but dream.

We're either cutting Wentz and bringing in a journey man PLUS a rookie. Or we're keeping Wentz and bringing in a rookie to go with him. Either way, i don't see one of those pro bowl QBs in blue and white, that'd be a fireable offense on the part of that team if they ever made such a trade.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Colts are not getting Russell. They're not getting Rodgers. They're not getting Carr. None of those teams are in the situation the Lions were when they let Stafford walk. None of those guys are in the Patriots situation with Brady. These teams are not insane, they know what it means to try to find a franchise QB, why would they let the ones they have walk? I think we're dreaming, which is okay because it's the off season and what else is there to do but dream.

We're either cutting Wentz and bringing in a journey man PLUS a rookie. Or we're keeping Wentz and bringing in a rookie to go with him. Either way, i don't see one of those pro bowl QBs in blue and white, that'd be a fireable offense on the part of that team if they ever made such a trade.

What you're saying makes perfect sense.  Management's refusal to endorse Carson is what's fanning these rumors.  But we don't know how Wilson really feels about staying in Seattle or if that team wants to rebuild.

We don't know how McDaniels really feels about Carr, or if he wants to mold the team his way (maybe bring in Tebow).

So we continue to speculate.  Personally, I don't see how bringing in a journeyman improves the team.  And a rookie, probably second round pick at best, isn't likely to improve the team either.  The future is now.  

I guess what I'm saying is that you (and I) have no idea, with any certainty, what's going to happen in the next 10 days.  Your either/or scenario isn't any more valid than someone else's wild guesses.

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I don't see them drafting a qb in this draft.    Next year maybe. 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What you're saying makes perfect sense.  Management's refusal to endorse Carson is what's fanning these rumors.  But we don't know how Wilson really feels about staying in Seattle or if that team wants to rebuild.

We don't know how McDaniels really feels about Carr, or if he wants to mold the team his way (maybe bring in Tebow).

So we continue to speculate.  Personally, I don't see how bringing in a journeyman improves the team.  And a rookie, probably second round pick at best, isn't likely to improve the team either.  The future is now.  

I guess what I'm saying is that you (and I) have no idea, with any certainty, what's going to happen in the next 10 days.  Your either/or scenario isn't any more valid than someone else's wild guesses.

McDaniels and the Raiders braintrust have said they're 100% happy with Carr. Everything i've heard from them since the Snake got the job indicates they love the dude and will keep him. 

Wilson might not want to stay but is that his decision? Much like Rodgers wanted to leave GB last year, it's not simply just a decision of the QBs, there're more parties at play.

Carr was a 2nd round pick. Did he improve his team?

We don't know the future, there are many variables at play for sure. However i'll say this, don't look at this from a next season ONLY perspective. I think the Colts will gladly punt next season if they can pick up a guy who means they stay out of the QB market for another 5-10 years, i don't think they'll care if that guy improves the team immediately or not.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't see them drafting a qb in this draft.    Next year maybe. 

It's possible but i think it'd be insane if they didnt. Every QB comes with question marks unless he is Luck. We need a QB, and there're guys who can be pro bowlers. I think if the right guy falls into range, they pick one or even move up for one.

We'll find out pretty soon.

Why wouldnt the Raiders want to pay and keep Derek Carr is the question?  On the flip side as far as potential preference is concerned I can see Mcdaniels possibly wanting Garrapolo, however I don't see how he'd offer substantially more upside than Carr. 

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

McDaniels and the Raiders braintrust have said they're 100% happy with Carr. Everything i've heard from them since the Snake got the job indicates they love the dude and will keep him. 

Wilson might not want to stay but is that his decision? Much like Rodgers wanted to leave GB last year, it's not simply just a decision of the QBs, there're more parties at play.

We don't know the future, there are many variables at play for sure. However i'll say this, don't look at this from a next season ONLY perspective. I think the Colts will gladly punt next season if they can pick up a guy who means they stay out of the QB market for another 5-10 years, i don't think they'll care if that guy improves the team immediately or not.

It wouldn't shock me at all if the Raiders wanted to trade Carr. Josh is a weird duck with a huge ego. He may want a draft a QB and mold him. I will also say this Carr wanted openly said he wanted the Raiders to keep the coach they had last year which 100% fact. He said after their playoff loss.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It wouldn't shock me at all if the Raiders wanted to trade Carr. Josh is a weird duck with a huge ego. He may want a draft a QB and mold him. I will also say this Carr wanted openly said he wanted the Raiders to keep the coach they had last year which 100% fact. He said after their playoff loss.

Yes but since then McDaniels has made comments about Carr being his guy. Dave Ziegler has done same. And not wishy washy commitment comments like we've done with Wentz. They've been ABSOLUTE in their standing behind him. Carr said he looks forward to working with the Snake. 

Unless something totally out of left field occurs, i think both sides are happy. 

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Punting on the season is not smart. What happens if they get into the draft next season and start interviewing these guys and they don’t like them. Then they tanked for nothing. This team is also too good to tank. They would have to get rid of some players to tank. They are going to have to figure out the long term solution like KC and Bills did while still being competitive. That means a good QB class and some teams making mistakes at the top and taking the wrong QB.

12 hours ago, jskinnz said:

1) What could the Colts offer in return that may tempt the Raiders?  

2) Doesn’t that then put the Raiders in dire need of a QB?

Unless Josh wants to get draft picks and roll with Mariota as a bridge to finding a Qb that he wants.  It might come down to not wanting to pay Carr the money he wants and Josh would rather get capital back whilst looking for the QB he wants to groom.

But overall, I don't think my answer is a very good answer for your questions.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even so - is Carr the guy that is going to make us a Super Bowl threat?  I just don't see it.  We gave up a 1st and 3rd for Wentz and now we would be giving up several more 1sts and what ever else plus Wentz for Carr?  Just sounds like a waste of picks.  

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yes but since then McDaniels has made comments about Carr being his guy. Dave Ziegler has done same. And not wishy washy commitment comments like we've done with Wentz. They've been ABSOLUTE in their standing behind him. Carr said he looks forward to working with the Snake. 

Unless something totally out of left field occurs, i think both sides are happy. 

nat geo desert GIF by National Geographic Channel- Josh

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Where he was drafted is irrelevant.  The answer to your question is YES, IMHO.  But it doesn't mean any other 2nd round pick would improve a team.

I have no clue which way the Colts are leaning.  I think Carr is an upgrade over Wentz.  He did more with less talent.  Other than Wilson, who it appears that if he does want traded, it won't be to a midwest team, I don't see any upgrade over Carson.

If Frank, Ballard, or Irsay would have said one thing that showed they had confidence in Wentz this season, this would all be moot.  But I hate to think about sacrificing this season for the future.

The NFL is the best reality show ever!

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Even so - is Carr the guy that is going to make us a Super Bowl threat?  I just don't see it.  We gave up a 1st and 3rd for Wentz and now we would be giving up several more 1sts and what ever else plus Wentz for Carr?  Just sounds like a waste of picks.  

100% Agree. Can't continually be double minded as an organization at the top, does not set up for stability in any way. Yes, I believe in the saying "a double minded man is unstable in all his ways". :) 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why wouldnt the Raiders want to pay and keep Derek Carr is the question?  On the flip side as far as potential preference is concerned I can see Mcdaniels possibly wanting Garrapolo, however I don't see how he'd offer substantially more upside than Carr. 

Getting a capable QB is hard in this league.  Getting an elite one is even harder.

I think Carr is certainly capable, but not quite elite.  I can understand why the Raiders might ponder a change at QB in a way that, say, the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals would not.  But my guess is that their fear that moving on from Carr lands them back in the QB wilderness we’re presently in is greater than their hope that moving on from Carr improves them.

It would be if I was Dave Ziegler or Josh McDaniels.

I think our options are going to come down to riding it out with Wentz or rolling the dice with a journeyman whose stock is depressed.  And, after all that has and hasn’t been said about Wentz, I’m not sure that ship hasn’t sailed.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I think Carr is better than Wentz but I am not sure he can lead us to a SB win. Winning SB's are really tough as you know. It took Peyton 9 years. Carr is great with his short passing game which fits our offense and he has never had a RB like Taylor. I also heard that we may go after Armstead (LT) which would be a huge great signing.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Punting on the season is not smart. What happens if they get into the draft next season and start interviewing these guys and they don’t like them. Then they tanked for nothing. This team is also too good to tank. They would have to get rid of some players to tank. They are going to have to figure out the long term solution like KC and Bills did while still being competitive. That means a good QB class and some teams making mistakes at the top and taking the wrong QB.

I'm not suggesting the tank. There's a difference between keeping expectations low, and tanking. And whether we like it or not, this team is at a place where we have to keep expectations realistic which means whether we agree or not, our objectives have to be different.

When you have a QB, you can talk about a team being too good to tank. If you don't have a good QB, you have one job.....find one. Everything else is going to be in constant flux until you fill the position.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I'm not suggesting the tank. There's a difference between keeping expectations low, and tanking. And whether we like it or not, this team is at a place where we have to keep expectations realistic which means whether we agree or not, our objectives have to be different.

When you have a QB, you can talk about a team being too good to tank. If you don't have a good QB, you have one job.....find one. Everything else is going to be in constant flux until you fill the position.

We would of had the 16th pick this season. Almost any QB is going to give us the same record because this team has too many good pieces. We are going to have to figure out how to find a QB while drafting on that middle of the first round. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Carr is better than Wentz but I am not sure he can lead us to a SB win. Winning SB's are really tough as you know. It took Peyton 9 years. Carr is great with his short passing game which fits our offense and he has never had a RB like Taylor. I also heard that we may go after Armstead (LT) which would be a huge great signing.

Going after a LT that is going to cost that much while also paying Q doesn’t seem like a smart move. We need weapons.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Where he was drafted is irrelevant.  The answer to your question is YES, IMHO.  But it doesn't mean any other 2nd round pick would improve a team.

I have no clue which way the Colts are leaning.  I think Carr is an upgrade over Wentz.  He did more with less talent.  Other than Wilson, who it appears that if he does want traded, it won't be to a midwest team, I don't see any upgrade over Carson.

If Frank, Ballard, or Irsay would have said one thing that showed they had confidence in Wentz this season, this would all be moot.  But I hate to think about sacrificing this season for the future.

The NFL is the best reality show ever!

Where he was drafted is very relevant. Why? We're talking of trading the farm for the guy who wasnt deemed good enough to be drafted ahead of Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater. So the NFL failed to assess him properly....and i think the league still makes those mistakes in scouting almost a decade later.

I think Carr is an upgrade on Carson too however where i split with you is I think many guys would be upgrades on Wentz. Wentz was the worst QB in the league in his last year with Philly. He came here and Reich did the ultimate redemption job with him, and yet he was only s good as what we saw. I don't think finding a game manager is as hard as we think for starters. Secondly, i think sometimes you take a step back to move 4 steps forward, and in this case looking for an immediate upgrade is not the strategy to take because at first glance the draft doesnt have an immediate upgrade, and the 3 or 4 vets who are immediate upgrades are not coming to Indy.

Brother, look at the place we're at. We do not have a QB. The season is already on shaky ground, what we are doing or need to be doing is finding the future QB not doubling down on fear, which is what i think we'd be doing if our eyes are focused only on finding a guy who'd be better than Wentz right out the box. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Going after a LT that is going to cost that much while also paying Q doesn’t seem like a smart move. We need weapons.

We can do one of two of things, either pay big for a WR in FA and draft a LT or pay big for a LT in FA and draft a WR. Armstead along with Nelson and Kelly would be like a wall. Wentz would have all day to throw and Smith. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We would of had the 16th pick this season. Almost any QB is going to give us the same record because this team has too many good pieces. We are going to have to figure out how to find a QB while drafting on that middle of the first round. 

I don't follow. Are you saying we have to figure out how to find a franchise QB while being a mid level team? If that's your point then yes i agree, and i have highlighted HOW we can do that

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Where he was drafted is very relevant. Why? We're talking of trading the farm for the guy who wasnt deemed good enough to be drafted ahead of Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater. So the NFL failed to assess him properly....and i think the league still makes those mistakes in scouting almost a decade later.

I think Carr is an upgrade on Carson too however where i split with you is I think many guys would be upgrades on Wentz. Wentz was the worst QB in the league in his last year with Philly. He came here and Reich did the ultimate redemption job with him, and yet he was only s good as what we saw. I don't think finding a game manager is as hard as we think for starters. Secondly, i think sometimes you take a step back to move 4 steps forward, and in this case looking for an immediate upgrade is not the strategy to take because at first glance the draft doesnt have an immediate upgrade, and the 3 or 4 vets who are immediate upgrades are not coming to Indy.

Brother, look at the place we're at. We do not have a QB. The season is already on shaky ground, what we are doing or need to be doing is finding the future QB not doubling down on fear, which is what i think we'd be doing if our eyes are focused only on finding a guy who'd be better than Wentz right out the box. 

Where he was drafted means nothing to his current value.   Cousins was a 4th rounder, prescott 4th. Wilson was a 3rd.    Not to mention Brady a 6th

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can do one of two of things, either pay big for a WR in FA and draft a LT or pay big for a LT in FA and draft a WR. Armstead along with Nelson and Kelly would be like a wall. Wentz would have all day to throw and Smith. 

Colts won't pay big for either 

Most always want position players (they love flash) but I am with Ballard regarding if you have a dominant O.Line a lot of QB's can look good. Washington won 3 SB's and went to 4 from 1982 to 1991. The one common thing they had was the best O.Line in football. They had Theisman, Williams, and Rypien at QB's when they won their SB's - none are Hall of Famers. 'Trenches' but I will say this you do a need a QB that is at least good and doesn't come up small in big moments.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts won't pay big for either 

Then we don't want to win and will be the Pacers season 3 laughing GIF

Archived