Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rich Eisen on Colts QB rumor

Coltsfan0112

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I think finances are only a part of the decision making re: Wentz. I think more importantly for the owner and GM is whether they think Wentz is the guy for the long run. I think more than money, that's where they are at. 

I think they'll dip into the FA market but i doubt it's big money on a WR (because when do those moves work out?), i don't think it'll be a LT because i think Ballard believes his guy (Fisher) will be better when healthy and when playing with a smarter QB (though i can see them maybe going back to Leno or drafting one of the developmental guys in the draft - there are quite a few of those draft LTs who could really become something) and lastly on LT, i don't see how they invest boku bucks on every line position. Basically, i think the big monetary swing will be on edge rush and maybe another position. TE or CB or S.

I hear you totally on swinging, one way or another they MUST swing. They have to improve the talent of their team regardless of what they do at QB. 

Good points all around.

Fisher is a free agent.  Leno signed an extention. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm really having a hard time trying to follow your logic.  After a player is in the league and shows his value, where he was drafted is irrelevant.  How he was assessed by teams prior to him being in the NFL is irrelevant, either good or bad.  It's as irrelevant as the evaluations of the #1 over all picks in 2015, 2016, and 2018.  They are who they are as NFL players now, not as draft picks.

I agree the league makes mistakes every year, and sometimes good players don't end in the right scheme, coached very well, or have injuries. 

But I don't think any of this applies to Carr.  He's proven to be a very good player who's elevated his team.

Yes Carr's playoff record speaks for itself. He's what....0-1???

The guy who was drafted two years ago has started one game, completed 58% of his passes, 2 TDs, 3 picks, 68.7 passer rating, and 5.1 adjusted yards/attempt. In his one start, he looked absolutely lost.

Why would he be the first QB off the board this year? Unlike Pickett, Willis, etc., there is evidence that Jordan Love can't handle NFL QB. I'm not writing him off, but the little we know about him is not impressive. If you're being hyperbolic in saying he'd be first off the board this year, fine. But if you were being serious, like I said, I doubt it very much.

27 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Russell Wilson just got dealt to Denver. I’m guessing our lack of a first because Wentz took us out of the running. Stupid moves have consequences. Chris Ballard 41-40. 

The trade is way too expensive for me and because of the investment Wilson will have Broncos with all leverage.  Not only will they have no draft capitol but they won't have Cash either once they sign him to an extension that he will force next year.

32 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Russell Wilson just got dealt to Denver. I’m guessing our lack of a first because Wentz took us out of the running. Stupid moves have consequences. Chris Ballard 41-40. 

Wait, you mean all those people (you know who you are) that were saying Wilson wasn't going to be traded (or he'd only go to a coast) were wrong?  Unfathomable!

Please someone tell me again how the Raiders aren't trading Carr.  I love getting that kind of inside information.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The guy who was drafted two years ago has started one game, completed 58% of his passes, 2 TDs, 3 picks, 68.7 passer rating, and 5.1 adjusted yards/attempt. In his one start, he looked absolutely lost.

Why would he be the first QB off the board this year? Unlike Pickett, Willis, etc., there is evidence that Jordan Love can't handle NFL QB. I'm not writing him off, but the little we know about him is not impressive. If you're being hyperbolic in saying he'd be first off the board this year, fine. But if you were being serious, like I said, I doubt it very much.

I think that 1 game against one of the best teams in the league is far from proof myself .. I mean his skill set and potential are better than anyone in the draft ... if he were coming out this year he would be ranked higher then Pickett and Willis... the only reason to think he wouldn’t is because he has been in the league a few years and we haven’t heard anything from him... he’s still only 23 and has potential, and if it fails it was cheap and will put us in position to get a franchise qb next year ... I’d rather take that chance then to just miss the playoffs or lose round 1 with wentz and never be in a position to draft high this has to be the best path to a franchise qb... either love is it or he is bad enough to get it next year 

44 minutes ago, Coltsfan15653 said:

I think that 1 game against one of the best teams in the league is far from proof myself .. I mean his skill set and potential are better than anyone in the draft ... if he were coming out this year he would be ranked higher then Pickett and Willis... the only reason to think he wouldn’t is because he has been in the league a few years and we haven’t heard anything from him... he’s still only 23 and has potential, and if it fails it was cheap and will put us in position to get a franchise qb next year ... I’d rather take that chance then to just miss the playoffs or lose round 1 with wentz and never be in a position to draft high this has to be the best path to a franchise qb... either love is it or he is bad enough to get it next year 

If he was even close to being able to take over for the Pack do you think they would have been better off to trade Rogers and get as much as they could like Seattle did?    

They were not convinced and neither and I,   But I have never thought he would be much more than a backup in the NFL 

7 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The Colts are not getting Russell. They're not getting Rodgers. They're not getting Carr. None of those teams are in the situation the Lions were when they let Stafford walk. None of those guys are in the Patriots situation with Brady. These teams are not insane, they know what it means to try to find a franchise QB, why would they let the ones they have walk? I think we're dreaming, which is okay because it's the off season and what else is there to do but dream.

We're either cutting Wentz and bringing in a journey man PLUS a rookie. Or we're keeping Wentz and bringing in a rookie to go with him. Either way, i don't see one of those pro bowl QBs in blue and white, that'd be a fireable offense on the part of that team if they ever made such a trade.

I agree. So in short…Colts are basically screwed.  What a rough day for Irsay. 

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The day isn't over yet.  Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall when Ballard goes into Irsay's office and tell him, "Boss, the price was too steep for Wilson.  But I'm going to save you a lot of money, and future draft picks!"

Out of all the "potential" free agent QBs - Derek Carr is the one I would LOVE to see in Indy !! 

I've felt that way for a few years now.  

If memory serves - the Colts attempted to acquire Carr last offseason - but - Gruden wasn't interested.

The first two QB dominoes fell today - so - "buckle your seatbelts baby - it's gonna be a bumpy ride" !!

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We have to find a guy in the draft and be okay with the fact that he may wind up being an Eli Manning type rather than a Peyton in terms of ceiling. We already know Wentz is a game manager, and not a particularly adept one at that task so we have to go to the draft to find the guy.

We don't have pieces to move up to the top 10 but we can probably shoot for a late 1st move or maybe mid 1st. We have to pull the trigger somewhere, and if we believe that none of these guys is worth an early punt then we select a mid to late round guy, see what he is, then dip in again in 23. 

At some point, we were going to have to accept the reality of QB purgatory, and the actions that need to be taken when you're embedded in it. We're in it. Now we have to dig ourselves out of it. 

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We have to find a guy in the draft and be okay with the fact that he may wind up being an Eli Manning type rather than a Peyton in terms of ceiling. We already know Wentz is a game manager, and not a particularly adept one at that task so we have to go to the draft to find the guy.

We don't have pieces to move up to the top 10 but we can probably shoot for a late 1st move or maybe mid 1st. We have to pull the trigger somewhere, and if we believe that none of these guys is worth an early punt then we select a mid to late round guy, see what he is, then dip in again in 23. 

At some point, we were going to have to accept the reality of QB purgatory, and the actions that need to be taken when you're embedded in it. We're in it. Now we have to dig ourselves out of it. 

Umm...we've been " digging out of it" for 4 years and counting. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

The day isn't over yet.  Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall when Ballard goes into Irsay's office and tell him, "Boss, the price was too steep for Wilson.  But I'm going to save you a lot of money, and future draft picks!"

No doubt.  Lol. Especially, after Irsay took to Twitter to publicly declare how much he likes Wilson. 

Ballard is probably thinking of the best way to break it to him that they got to bring Wentz back.  Trubisky or Winston is not going to cut it when the boss said “all in!” 

If Ballard has ever pulled a rabbit out of his hat…now is the time. 

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Umm...we've been " digging out of it" for 4 years and counting. 

I the grand scheme of things, 4 years in NFL terms is nothing.   Teams often go decades before they find a long term answer at quarterback.  

32 teams….  Maybe 16-20 that you can win with.   Maybe.   And of those, maybe 10-12 you feel good about winning a playoff game or two.   That’s our reality.  Sucks to be us. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Wait, you mean all those people (you know who you are) that were saying Wilson wasn't going to be traded (or he'd only go to a coast) were wrong?  Unfathomable!

Please someone tell me again how the Raiders aren't trading Carr.  I love getting that kind of inside information.

I didn't think Seattle would pull the trigger on trading Russell, but I reckoned if they did then it'd have to be for a serious ransom otherwise it's asking to be fired. They got a serious king's ransom for Wilson. 

The Colts don't have a serious ransom to give to anyone. Same case as last year with Stafford. The teams we're going up against can offer more assets than we can. Even with the benefit of hindsight, i don't think we could have matched the Rams for Stafford (who had us on his list), and i don't think we had the assets to match Denver for Wilson...plus i don't think Wilson is all that's missing from our offense. Denver have legit weapons, we don't....in terms of attractiveness of a ball club, we have JT and who do we have at WR? TE? We do have the best back in the league but okay that's it.

With Carr, we'll see. I just don't see it happening. Again, where are the draft assets coming from? Why would he want to come to Indy (easy answer is money and the question then becomes how willing we'd be to pay Derek Carr like a top 3 QB)? Where are the Raiders at in terms of building? Contractually, how bound are they to Carr? I just don't see it.

I think we are firmly entrenched in the mire of QB purgatory. I think there are ways out that don't involve giving away the farm (which we aint got anyway). We just have to be honest with ourselves.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I the grand scheme of things, 4 years in NFL terms is nothing.   Teams often go decades before they find a long term answer at quarterback.  

32 teams….  Maybe 16-20 that you can win with.   Maybe.   And of those, maybe 10-12 you feel good about winning a playoff game or two.   That’s our reality.  Sucks to be us. 

So do you think Jim will let Ballard dig us out of this for decades?

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We are definitely in QB purgatory now.  I actually think the Colts should just roll with Wentz next year and draft a QB next year when the draft class is expected to be better. At least Carson has been in the system for a year. I’d expect improvement with a full off-season to work with.  

I would rather use our 2nd round pick this year on adding one of the several highly rated wide receivers from this deep draft class.  Also sign a top flight free agent receiver to go with Pittman.  Load up on WR weapons to give Wentz the best chance to succeed next season.  If he falls on his face…cut ties with no financial consequences and go the draft route in 23. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Plus, i don't think we believed we were in the kind of mess we are in. We didnt act like a team who needed to go gung ho for a QB. I think we always had a vet lined up. Rivers then Carson, and that was our model for building. If we felt we needed to go into the draft, we'd have built differently. i.e. unlikely we get Buckner. Maybe we don't get Wentz. 

@cdgacoltsfan  I think we're going to the draft well this time. And four years will become five years if i were to put money on it. 2023 should be solid though IF we keep building the roster right

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No doubt.  Lol. Especially, after Irsay took to Twitter to publicly declare how much he likes Wilson. 

Ballard is probably thinking of the best way to break it to him that they got to bring Wentz back.  Trubisky or Winston is not going to cut it when the boss said “all in!” 

If Ballard has ever pulled a rabbit out of his hat…now is the time. 

Ballard can't create a franchise QB out of thin air.  That's not really fair, and its laughable as an expectation.

If he finds one later than pick 20, it will be pure luck.  Because if there is any evidence/hope that the guy would be a franchise QB, he would be gone by pick 20.

Even Lamar at pick 32 is showing that he's not really the guy either. Other than the abnormality of the 6th round pick Brady, I think Lamar is the lowest drafted QB to be a serious starter on any playoff team in maybe the last 10 years?  Very very few lower than pick 20.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I didn't think Seattle would pull the trigger on trading Russell, but I reckoned if they did then it'd have to be for a serious ransom otherwise it's asking to be fired. They got a serious king's ransom for Wilson. 

The Colts don't have a serious ransom to give to anyone. Same case as last year with Stafford. The teams we're going up against can offer more assets than we can. Even with the benefit of hindsight, i don't think we could have matched the Rams for Stafford (who had us on his list), and i don't think we had the assets to match Denver for Wilson...plus i don't think Wilson is all that's missing from our offense. Denver have legit weapons, we don't....in terms of attractiveness of a ball club, we have JT and who do we have at WR? TE? We do have the best back in the league but okay that's it.

With Carr, we'll see. I just don't see it happening. Again, where are the draft assets coming from? Why would he want to come to Indy (easy answer is money and the question then becomes how willing we'd be to pay Derek Carr like a top 3 QB)? Where are the Raiders at in terms of building? Contractually, how bound are they to Carr? I just don't see it.

I think we are firmly entrenched in the mire of QB purgatory. I think there are ways out that don't involve giving away the farm (which we aint got anyway). We just have to be honest with ourselves.

Respectfully disagree.  There are (and were last year) always ways to sweeten the pot.  We could have gotten either deal done, but it would have hurt giving away so much.  Probably besides draft picks, we'd give at least one of our pro bowlers.

I don't buy the "They didn't want to come to Indy" argument unless I heard it from them.  Apparently a lot of people heard that Wilson would only go to a coast team to make his wife happy.  Well, they heard wrong.

I'm not saying we should have given up the farm, and I don't doubt that Ballard talked to Seattle and the price was too steep for us.  

But, just like Free Agency, you're going to have to over pay for a franchise QB.  The question is will the Colts overpay more than the next desperate team?  I sincerely doubt it.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you can't get an elite QB or even one that is good. Best bet is probably try to build a dominant defense at this point. Wentz is above average but without a dominant defense we would have no chance to win the SB. Just pick all defense in this upcoming draft and maybe we could get lucky in 2 or 3 years and end up like the Ravens did with Flacco and Dilfer or the Bucs did with Brad Johnson. Washington did it from 1982-1991 as well by having a dominant D.Line and O.Line. One thing Wentz does have is Taylor at least. That is huge.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Ballard can't create a franchise QB out of thin air.  That's not really fair, and its laughable as an expectation.

If he finds one later than pick 20, it will be pure luck.  Because if there is any evidence/hope that the guy would be a franchise QB, he would be gone by pick 20.

Even Lamar at pick 32 is showing that he's not really the guy either. Other than the abnormality of the 6th round pick Brady, I think Lamar is the lowest drafted QB to be a serious starter on any playoff team in maybe the last 10 years?  Very very few lower than pick 20.

Jimmy G 2nd round

Wilson 3rd round

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yes I agree that he cant create a franchise QB  out of thin air. By rabbit out of the hat I am thinking more of a trade that he has up his sleeve that no one sees coming. Kinda like what he did with the Buckner trade.  Not saying he has something in the works but then again Colts like to move in stealth when they can keep the  owner from tweeting away. Lol 

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We are definitely in QB purgatory now.  I actually think the Colts should just roll with Wentz next year and draft a QB next year when the draft class is expected to be better. At least Carson has been in the system for a year. I’d expect improvement with a full off-season to work with.  

I would rather use our 2nd round pick this year on adding one of the several highly rated wide receivers from this deep draft class.  Also sign a top flight free agent receiver to go with Pittman.  Load up on WR weapons to give Wentz the best chance to succeed next season.  If he falls on his face…cut ties with no financial consequences and go the draft route in 23. 

It's looking more like that's the path forward.  I'd agree 100% with you if anyone gave Carson even a nod of approval, but that didn't happen.

If it does (and it probably should) we have to remember that on Christmas evening the Colts were the team no one wanted to play in the playoffs.  Carson had a game winning drive, and a great throw for the TD.

Are we that far from being that team again?  Add a veteran DE and another proven WR, and fix LT.  

1 hour ago, Coltsfan15653 said:

I didn't call it proof, I said it's evidence. I also said I'm not writing him off. I don't think his skill set and potential are all that enticing, he has a nice arm and is mobile, but the questions that we had about Jordan Love two years ago still exist. Can he run an NFL offense, throw with anticipation, make accurate throws to all levels, handle a pass rush, recognize coverages, etc., etc. So far, the answer is no. 

I don't think Love would be ranked higher than Pickett even if he was draft eligible this year. I think people are overrating Love, and infatuated with the idea that he could be a diamond in the rough. 

By the way, next year we can get into the top five, even if our draft slot is in the teens, or lower. It would take a big trade, but you don't have to bottom out to draft a QB high. That's how Buffalo got Josh Allen, how SF got Trey Lance, etc. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jimmy G 2nd round

Wilson 3rd round

I'll give you Wilson.  And he dropped simply because he was short.  A great QB who happened to be 5'11.  Maybe there is one in this year's draft?  But I don't hear any Wilson comparisons with this current class.

I think Jimmy G got a lot of help and is not really the kind of QB I'm thinking of.  And apparently SF traded up to take Lance, so they probably don't think he is either.

Brady and Wilson.  That's it?

For the forum to think that Ballard will find a QB below pick 20 in any year going forward, its a fantasy, IMO.  

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's looking more like that's the path forward.  I'd agree 100% with you if anyone gave Carson even a nod of approval, but that didn't happen.

If it does (and it probably should) we have to remember that on Christmas evening the Colts were the team no one wanted to play in the playoffs.  Carson had a game winning drive, and a great throw for the TD.

Are we that far from being that team again?  Add a veteran DE and another proven WR, and fix LT.  

Colts definitely didn’t give any kind of reassurance to Wentz…that’s for sure.  They weren’t happy at how the season ended and committed to do their due diligence in finding an upgrade. We don’t know that Ballard, Reich and Irsay all agree on Wentz though.  Irsay obviously is frustrated but Reich still seems to lean towards him. Where is Ballard?  It’s possible that after doing their due diligence and realizing that an “upgrade” is not realistically available at this time that they may have to come back around to Wentz…if it is in the best interest of the Colts when all is said and done. 

Some thought I was a nut when I said I would trade for Wilson and give up a 2023 and 2024 1st round picks and Ryan Kelly + Wentz for Russ = fair deal. Some said that is too much. I guess John Elway who is a top 5 QB of all-time and an actual GM is a bigger nut than meseason 3 laughing GIF Denver gave up 2 1st's and 2 2nd's + Lock and Fant. I guess I am smarter than Elway. Sarcasm.

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes I agree that he cant create a franchise QB  out of thin air. By rabbit out of the hat I am thinking more of a trade that he has up his sleeve that no one sees coming. Kinda like what he did with the Buckner trade.  Not saying he has something in the works but then again Colts like to move in stealth when they can keep the  owner from tweeting away. Lol 

I don't think he has the bullets this year.  Maybe next year...but then a trade-up would not be as unexpected.

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Say we go out and get a solid WR (DJ Chark and address some other needs through draft a FA. Do you think that will be enough to compete with the stacked (on paper) AFC? If you run it back, add weapons and Wentz falls flat on his face next year (which he will). The Colts will not only be looking for a new QB but a coach and potentially GM too. 

2 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

Say we go out and get a solid WR (DJ Chark and address some other needs through draft a FA. Do you think that will be enough to compete with the stacked (on paper) AFC? If you run it back, add weapons and Wentz falls flat on his face next year (which he will). The Colts will not only be looking for a new QB but a coach and potentially GM too. 

What better qb do you think they are gonna get?    

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some thought I was a nut when I said I would trade for Wilson and give up a 2023 and 2024 1st round picks and Ryan Kelly + Wentz for Russ = fair deal. Some said that is too much. I guess John Elway who is a top 5 QB of all-time and an actual GM is a bigger nut than meseason 3 laughing GIF Denver gave up 2 1st's and 2 2nd's + Lock and Fant. I guess I am smarter than Elway. Sarcasm.

What is funny my deal was better because Wentz is better than Lock and Kelly is a pro-bowl Center. But no way would I give up 2 2nd's with the 2 1st's. Elway is off his rocker.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don’t think Elway is acting as GM anymore.  But I’m sure he had to approve the deal.   

That said, a franchise QB is worth giving up multiple firsts.  Remember when the Skins gave up three first rounders to the Rams for RG3?  The Rams still stunk for about 5 years.  

Sure RG3 got hurt but they made the playoffs and he was rookie of the year.  

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why do so many people expect Ballard to be able to create a QB out of thin air?

They have them in the sporting good section at Walmart. Can get a LT and a DE to.   Might be some coupons available so CB has no excuse haha

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t think Elway is acting as GM anymore.  But I’m sure he had to approve the deal.   

That said, a franchise QB is worth giving up multiple firsts.  Remember when the Skins gave up three first rounders to the Rams for RG3?  The Rams still stunk for about 5 years.  

Sure RG3 got hurt but they made the playoffs and he was rookie of the year.  

I agree with the 2 1st's and a couple of players but 2 2nd's is a little much to go with. Seattle has a slew of picks now where they can rebuild if they do it right.

Archived