Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DL RJ McIntosh

Restinpeacesweetchloe

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So we are signing a new player to the roster before we sign any of our own impending free agents.  Wasn’t expecting that move.  

I think this is very easy to explain why we haven’t signed anyone yet. Bradley talked yesterday about having to go through the evaluation process on our players. So once that is done  he will have a say in who we keep.  As long as it is  before FA and we can get the ones we want back signed we are ok. I think he said it would take a couple weeks to do the evaluations.

If we are switching to the 4-3 Cover 3 that Seattle ran then there is only one "undersized" speed rusher on the line as a starter - not including sub-packages. All the other lineman are 280+ normally. 

So a guy with the following traits coming out of college makes sense:

POSITIVES

He has the speed and length of an end in a growing tackle's body.

—Has an impressive nose for the ball that creates opportunities to make plays.

—Better in a shaded technique when he can use explosiveness to knife gaps.

—Good eye discipline to get hands up and into throwing windows.

First-step quickness is highly disruptive from an interior position.

So the 6'4" and 280+ guys like Dayo and Buckner  will likely be looked at in FA and the draft moving forward to fill the DE and DT spots. 

This guys has the size, length and first step quickness that is needed. Has not reached his potential yet (and maybe never will) but why not try? Guys like Muhammad and Stallworth have come here and been productive in the rotation in our building, so can this guy. 

You should never write anyone off as "just a camp body" folks!

Verity was a semi finalist for Lou Groza Award in 2019 as nations top kicker (Hot Rod actually won it). He tore his acl Dec 1st so not sure he will be back in time to battle Hot Rod for kicking duties but could be kept on p.s. Badgley may even resign after testing the market as well.

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

If I'm not mistaken @Superman was a fan of his in the draft. As far as I remember he was a 3T DT, with some explosion and quickness, but Superman might have better recollection of him. 

I forgot about that, had to do some digging. I liked what he showed on tape. He had a health issue and didn't work out at the Combine, and after that I never really heard about him again. He hasn't played a game since 2019, so things didn't go great.

Here's what I said in my mock back then:

RJ McIntosh, Miami, DT, 1-gap interior lineman who thinks he's an edge rusher, can penetrate, has moves including a swim and a spin, quick and active, good motor, chases plays down; plays too upright and loses leverage, gets washed out, can't control two gaps; tenacious, a handful to block when he plays with proper leverage, needs discipline; reminds me of a leaner, quicker Jordan Phillips

Archived