Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conference Championship Games, Jan. 30, 2022 Discussion thread

NFLfan

8 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

That had a SB team already. 

Sure. But so did the 49ers. 

LAR just made a few more moves. 

That's what it takes some times.

I hope the Bengals win overall, but can't fault LAR for winning the NFC arms race. 

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Rams roster is stacked and way better than the Colts. Highly doubt we would have made a run with Stafford 

Yup. Better in almost every way. Only spot I'd say Indy takes is RB.

2 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Jimmy G is definitely gone. 

Shanahan knows he needs a more dynamic QB to keep up. 

It once again shows that the D, running game and game manager formula only takes you so far.

Yup. I think KS's O would look crazy dynamic with a guy that hit on levels 2 and 3. 

I think it's fair to say Jimmy has peaked, and has had a couple big time chances with a great team around him. 

Will be interesting to see who KS goes after, but pretty sure Jimmy's days are done in Cali. 

I just hope he doesn't end up in Indy. He'd fit Reich's conservative short passing game, but long term I don't see him making the team better. Just puts us in a longer term state of meh... 

17 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't view it as a misevaluation, Ballard clearly wanted Stafford but wasn't willing to outbid the Rams (and who knows who else) and give up the 3 #1s + that it would've taken to get him - the Rams having a top draft pick like Goff to throw into the deal was a benefit that few other GMs could've matched because if you're trading a Matthew Stafford, you'd better get a starting caliber QB in return.

The misevaluation I refer to is that several times from those who cover the team (i.e. Keefer, Bowen) indicated that Ballard was not sold on Stafford.  It is my understanding from those guys say that the Colts never really had any substantial talks with the Lions because of this. 

It is also my understanding is that Lions took Goff so that the Rams could make the deal without blowing their whole salary structure.  You gotta figure that is probably why an additional 1st rounder was thrown in.  

Bottom line, is that when you consider what the Colts gave up to get Wentz (a 1st and a 3rd) was not exactly a cheap price and you look at the track record of a Stafford compared to Wentz as well as how they played this year and what their teams accomplished, it is not the best reflection on Ballard or his player assessment abilities.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SR711 said:

The misevaluation I refer to is that several times from those who cover the team (i.e. Keefer, Bowen) indicated that Ballard was not sold on Stafford.  It is my understanding from those guys say that the Colts never really had any substantial talks with the Lions because of this. 

It is also my understanding is that Lions took Goff so that the Rams could make the deal without blowing their whole salary structure.  You gotta figure that is probably why an additional 1st rounder was thrown in.  

Bottom line, is that when you consider what the Colts gave up to get Wentz (a 1st and a 3rd) was not exactly a cheap price and you look at the track record of a Stafford compared to Wentz as well as how they played this year and what their teams accomplished, it is not the best reflection on Ballard or his player assessment abilities.  

Even if Ballard were sold on Stafford, I  still doubt if we had enough draft capital to outbid the Rams and make the trade.

In retrospect, the price paid for Wentz will look like a steal if Carson gets it together,and starts for us for the next 5+ seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Even if Ballard were sold on Stafford, I  still doubt if we had enough draft capital to outbid the Rams and make the trade.

In retrospect, the price paid for Wentz will look like a steal if Carson gets it together,and starts for us for the next 5+ seasons.

We only would of had to give up one more first round pick.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hats off to the Rams, say what you want about Jimmy G but he only lost by 3 points against a loaded team. It was a great game. Wentz was at home watching both Stafford and Jimmy doing this Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Wentz only lost to Rams by 3 too.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He was just thrown in to relieve salary. They probably could of gotten another team to take him if lions didn’t want him. But yes he had to go to make cap room.

Still a quality player that filled the gap of stafford leaving. We didn’t have that.

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We only would of had to give up one more first round pick.

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

And Jared Goff. People often forget that 

The Rams gave up 2 firsts, a 3rd & Jared Goff (a #1 overall draft selection) to acquire Matt Stafford - any team that wanted him and did not have a QB drafted in the 1st round to include in the deal would've likely had to give up 3 #1s & a 3rd, roughly two more 1st round draft picks than we traded for Wentz.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

The Rams gave up 2 firsts, a 3rd & Jared Goff (a #1 overall draft selection) to acquire Matt Stafford - any team that wanted him and did not have a QB drafted in the 1st round to include in the deal would've likely had to give up 3 #1s & a 3rd, roughly two more 1st round draft picks than we traded for Wentz.

Not sure about that. They were just trying to dump his salary. So yes Goff would of had to go somewhere and lions made it easy because they needed a QB. But if we had sweetened it a little they probably could of found another trade partner. Heck it could of been a 3 way trade with Goff still going to lions.

This is my guess. Ballard could not make a decision. He drug his feet and then Rams jumped in late. Maybe If colts had made a quicker decision Ir would of happened.

42 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not sure about that. They were just trying to dump his salary. So yes Goff would of had to go somewhere and lions made it easy because they needed a QB. But if we had sweetened it a little they probably could of found another trade partner. Heck it could of been a 3 way trade with Goff still going to lions.

This is my guess. Ballard could not make a decision. He drug his feet and then Rams jumped in late. Maybe If colts had made a quicker decision Ir would of happened.

I doubt it, even if Ballard were hot for Stafford early, that doesn't mean that no other team would've been and a bidding war between 2 or more teams for his services would've driven Detriot's asking price for Matt much higher.

Stafford is heading to the Superbowl (throwing to Kupp & OBJ) but anyone who thinks that we'd be in the same position had we only traded the farm for him (less we forget, the Rams also added CB Jalen Ramsey, LB Von Miller & FS Eric Weddle) is just kidding themselves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Stafford is a lot better

Vikings need to move on from Cousins

I like Stafford better but if someone is evaluating QBs on stats alone, Kirk looks better. Check out their stats. 

I do not value volume stats the way others do. They do not mean as much to me. I like to evaluate how QBs play during the game -- do they make good decisions, do they understand situational football, how well do they go through their progressions, how are they under pressure, etc. Those are hard to quantify. Kirk is poor at these. 

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Bargain shoppers don't usually make quick decisions.

Soooooooo true.  My wife is always looking for a great deal to the point she won’t ever make a decision.  Always wanting to hold out for a better deal.  Took 2mo to book a condo for vacation(I booked it) and going on almost a year for a new bedroom suite. Bedroom suites are now 30-40% more and very few are available.  Sooner or later you have to decide if a deal is fair market value and proceed or you are left with scraps or nothing. Prices usually only go up. 

• Thanks 1

The Rams are loaded???????? Come on, They have Aaron Donald, Gaines, Miller, and Ramsey. No one else on that defense could make the Colt team, their linebackers couldn't even make the Colts practice squad. OBJ? yesterday was his first 100 yard receiving game since 2019, he is a headache, not worth the trouble. The trade between the Lions and Rams exchanging Stafford and Goff was probably engineered by the nfl, meaning the Colts were not going to get Stafford,just the way it is folks.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

LA fans have the money for the tickets, don’t have to complete with SF in the area now. 

Last time AFC North played NFC West was the Harbaugh brothers blackout SB with Ravens winning 

I was at that game. Fun environment in New Orleans.

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I wish someone would take Kirk Cousins from us. For those who like stats, his are similar to Stafford's but may be better. 

Kirk was added to the Pro Bowl roster now that Stafford is "unavailable" for next weekend's game.

• Thanks 1