Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think anything is clear. I think you're again overreacting to a tweet. 

Doubt it's a tactic to restructure. Even in a restructure, Wentz isn't gong to give up guaranteed money. In the majority of restructures, the guarantees actually increase, while the money is just pushed out. If they try to get him to take less, he likely just says "cut me"... Takes the 15M, and signs as a FA for a team like TB

I said I didn’t buy it. It was just a random tweet by a nobody. It’s just something that does make a little sense.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I said I didn’t buy it. It was just a random tweet by a nobody. It’s just something that does make a little sense.

I don't put all that much stock in Mort either. I don't believe Irsay or Ballard are silly enough to show their hand. 

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I said the same thing in a post I made earlier.

I'm sorry to repeat something you already stated. Trouble is I'm 72 and a slow reader. I could be gone before I read the whole thread. Anyway.. I agree with you. 

The worst place you can be in the NFL is stuck in mediocrity as a franchise. You’re not in reach of a deep playoff run, and you’re not in range to get a game changer at QB for the long haul. Whatever Ballard decides, it needs to be with that in mind. I’d rather have a bad year that gets them a top franchise QB than be an average team for the next handful of years. 

After watching the Rams hoist the Lombardi it occurred to me that teams are getting more and more aggressive in today's nfl instead of following the same old script in trying to capture a ring. The Rams owner Stan Kroenke has taken that approach. Stan has let it be known with his words but more importantly has shown by his actions that he will do whatever it takes to amass talent on the field as well as staff. Tampa last year took the "all in" approach which led them to a SB. I love Irsay but I feel his statement was more of a lip service for the fans after an abrupt ending to the season.

The Gus Bradley hire meh. Frank's lackluster offense and playcalling meh. The Colt's choice at qb the last FEW years since Luck has been meh at best because NONE were capable of guiding the team to a SB. The last two were Frank's choice because he had prior history with them so he felt comfortable. I guess Nick Foles is next. Ballard's 10 yr plan is meh and ok if mediocrity or slightly above is your ultimate goal.

In the landscape of the afc alone the Colts are a middle of the pack team who hasn't won their division in YEARS and a team who also missed the playoffs THIS season. They lack playmakers at the skill positions like wr (minus one), te, qb, edge on defense, they don't have an elite corner and oh yeah are void at left t. 

I'm not asking Irsay to get crazy but I think a greater sense of urgency needs to be placed on the Ballard/Reich combo or this team will fall further back in the crowded afc (loaded with rising young dynamic qbs) instead of pushing for a SB. Whether you can actually get Wilson or A Rod at least put your name in the hat because you never know UNLESS the "whatever it takes" is simply just talk.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

You just catchin on?

Tampa and LA just put the “cherries”  on top of the trend.

And starts with the QB.

That doesn’t always happen though. It’s very rare two QB like that happen to become available.

43 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

NO. you said It was clear. 

What are you talking about. 

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How do you bring him back when it’s clear they are trying to get rid of him. 

I saw someone mention this also could be a tactic to get him to restructure. Not sure about that.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Doubt it's a tactic to restructure. Even in a restructure, Wentz isn't gong to give up guaranteed money. In the majority of restructures, the guarantees actually increase, while the money is just pushed out. If they try to get him to take less, he likely just says "cut me"... Takes the 15M, and signs as a FA for a team like TB

11 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

17 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

What are you talking about. 

This is the string of posts you were in.    You have been saying " it is clear". "It is clear as day"  Etc and when East said he didn't think anything was clear  (like I have been saying)   You said you didn't buy it either.    So can we agree that it is NOT clear as day?

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

This is the string of posts you were in.    You have been saying " it is clear". "It is clear as day"  Etc and when East said he didn't think anything was clear  (like I have been saying)   You said you didn't buy it either.    So can we agree that it is NOT clear as day?

Umm that post I said was a random tweet was not  about Irsay. 

7 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

That post was about Wentz restructuring his contract that I said I didn’t buy.  Not about Irsay.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Umm that post I said was a random tweet was not  about Irsay. 

Go to the top of this page. Page 25.  

East post 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

your response to that post 

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

After watching the Rams hoist the Lombardi it occurred to me that teams are getting more and more aggressive in today's nfl instead of following the same old script in trying to capture a ring.

I'm not asking Irsay to get crazy but I think a greater sense of urgency needs to be placed on the Ballard/Reich combo or this team will fall further back in the crowded afc (loaded with rising young dynamic qbs) instead of pushing for a SB. 

This is a legitimate point. I don't know that it means you mortgage all your assets for one player and expect to win a SB. The Rams were already a contending team with a really good roster. The Bucs weren't a contender, but they had a strong roster, and made several more moves to get better. So it's not as easy as 'just go get a QB.' 

But, the conservative build has to be adjusted. Even if you can put together a strong roster that way, there will always be another team or two taking big swings, and leapfrogging your more conservative trajectory. And this will get worse moving forward, because the Bucs and Rams have now clearly validated this approach in back to back seasons. 

Ballard is going to have to be less conservative with contract structure moving forward. He might have already started making this adjustment. And the Wentz trade signals some level of willingness to part with multiple + future picks. It was still measured, but it's the biggest draft sacrifice Ballard has made, from a guy known for saying 'I love them picks!' 

Ultimately, Ballard is going to have to take some bigger swings and stop playing small ball.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a legitimate point. I don't know that it means you mortgage all your assets for one player and expect to win a SB. The Rams were already a contending team with a really good roster. The Bucs weren't a contender, but they had a strong roster, and made several more moves to get better. So it's not as easy as 'just go get a QB.' 

But, the conservative build has to be adjusted. Even if you can put together a strong roster that way, there will always be another team or two taking big swings, and leapfrogging your more conservative trajectory. And this will get worse moving forward, because the Bucs and Rams have now clearly validated this approach in back to back seasons. 

Ballard is going to have to be less conservative with contract structure moving forward. He might have already started making this adjustment. And the Wentz trade signals some level of willingness to part with multiple + future picks. It was still measured, but it's the biggest draft sacrifice Ballard has made, from a guy known for saying 'I love them picks!' 

Ultimately, Ballard is going to have to take some bigger swings and stop playing small ball.

Agreed. This is what I had posted in the Super bowl gameday thread.

A different approach to team building:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/12/22930797/should-chris-ballard-change-his-approach-to-team-building

"The Rams are known for unloading draft picks to trade for current stars. They’ve done it with Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Matthew Stafford as well as many others over the years. Since McVay has been a head coach, they have made 21 trades and haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. McVay’s career record is 55-26 with a 6-3 playoff record and two Super Bowl appearances. It shows you don’t need to build completely through the draft to win."

This is an interesting philosophy. Many on here defend Ballard when he misses on a draft pick (Hooker, Wilson, Banogu, Turay, Basham, etc.) by saying that No GM bats a 1000. Of course they don't. By that admission, we over-value draft picks. Why not use them on proven NFL talent rather than taking a chance at a college kid who may nor may not pan out in the NFL? This is an interesting way of looking at things, and the Rams have shown it to work, as well as the Bucs the year prior.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

That is why it is too early to give up on the Wentz trade, not because it is a lost cause but to examine if the fact that Ballard has not bolstered our offensive firepower as a team enough is also holding the team back. Let us give Wentz a little more ammunition, cut some dead weight on the skill positions on the roster instead of filling them with JAGs and give it 1 more shot at a good year with Wentz.

If the Rams can assimilate OBJ mid-season, I feel we can sign a marquee FA pass catcher (WR or TE) before training camp and assimilate him easily to get the chemistry with Wentz going.

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Agreed. This is what I had posted in the Super bowl gameday thread.

A different approach to team building:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/12/22930797/should-chris-ballard-change-his-approach-to-team-building

"The Rams are known for unloading draft picks to trade for current stars. They’ve done it with Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Matthew Stafford as well as many others over the years. Since McVay has been a head coach, they have made 21 trades and haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. McVay’s career record is 55-26 with a 6-3 playoff record and two Super Bowl appearances. It shows you don’t need to build completely through the draft to win."

This is an interesting philosophy. Many on here defend Ballard when he misses on a draft pick (Hooker, Wilson, Banogu, Turay, Basham, etc.) by saying that No GM bats a 1000. Of course they don't. By that admission, we over-value draft picks. Why not use them on proven NFL talent rather than taking a chance at a college kid who may nor may not pan out in the NFL? This is an interesting way of looking at things, and the Rams have shown it to work, as well as the Bucs the year prior.

I think people over value first round picks in general, but especially in relation to second and third rounders. Kupp, Higbee, Rapp, Jefferson, Fuller, etc., all Day 2 and 3 picks. These guys are all major pieces, but all anyone cares about is what you did with your first round pick. The Rams did build through the draft, but they have supplemented in other ways, and it's worked out well for them.

In effect, the Rams identified and pursued a market inefficiency, several years in a row, and now they have a bunch of talented players that they didn't draft. They also have a bunch of talented players they did draft. I think the combination is necessary.

But I don't think you can sit back and draft, draft, draft, and keep a conservative cap strategy, and still compete with teams that are taking big swings. It's true that after this 'all in' approach, a team will need to take a step back and retool at some point. The Rams and Bucs are going to have a down season or two at some point, but by then two more teams will have taken their place. And the teams that stay conservative might be pretty good, but they'll be a step behind.

Another thing, this is a good time to push some cap back into future years, because big cap increases are just a year or maybe two down the road. So you'll have some cushion moving forward.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why it is too early to give up on the Wentz trade, not because it is a lost cause but to examine if the fact that Ballard has not bolstered our offensive firepower as a team enough is also holding the team back. Let us give Wentz a little more ammunition, cut some dead weight on the skill positions on the roster instead of filling them with JAGs and give it 1 more shot at a good year with Wentz.

If the Rams can assimilate OBJ mid-season, I feel we can sign a marquee FA pass catcher (WR or TE) before training camp and assimilate him easily to get the chemistry with Wentz going.

The Wentz decision can be made independently of the other factors, IMO. I agree that we don't have the kind of firepower we need to really compete with top dog teams in the league. But you can still determine whether Wentz is or is not the guy you need.

My biggest problem with Wentz is decision making, both quality and quickness. I don't think he has to have better weapons to make better, quicker decisions. And I'm not confident he'll improve in this area.

But I do think it makes sense to keep him in 2022, simply due to where we are from a resource standpoint. I'd try to improve the defense, add a WR and TE, and see what happens. But this latest report from Mort seems legit; Mort is with Irsay Saturday, then on Sunday says the Colts intend to move on from Wentz. You'd have to be blind to not see the connection. There's a chance this is a tactic to get Wentz to renegotiate his 2022 salary, but I doubt it. It seems like they've decided he's not the right guy.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Wentz decision can be made independently of the other factors, IMO. I agree that we don't have the kind of firepower we need to really compete with top dog teams in the league. But you can still determine whether Wentz is or is not the guy you need.

My biggest problem with Wentz is decision making, both quality and quickness. I don't think he has to have better weapons to make better, quicker decisions. And I'm not confident he'll improve in this area.

But I do think it makes sense to keep him in 2022, simply due to where we are from a resource standpoint. I'd try to improve the defense, add a WR and TE, and see what happens. But this latest report from Mort seems legit; Mort is with Irsay Saturday, then on Sunday says the Colts intend to move on from Wentz. You'd have to be blind to not see the connection. There's a chance this is a tactic to get Wentz to renegotiate his 2022 salary, but I doubt it. It seems like they've decided he's not the right guy.

True. Before you know, Michael Thomas goes to the Titans or Packers or Bills and we miss out on a potential chance there. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

True. Before you know, Michael Thomas goes to the Titans or Packers and we miss out on a potential chance there. 

Yeah, there's always going to be a team taking those chances, while we check swing. However, I'm fine for right now not using draft picks on veteran players, until we know the plan at QB. Need to keep draft resources available so we have a reasonable chance when the time comes. And that's assuming Wentz is not the guy.

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think you’re right on the Mort report.  It does seem like they’ve decided to move on.  Hard to believe after only one year but finishing the way we did does have its consequences.  The not taking the layups comment by Ballard really resonated with me.  He was right and we all know it.  That’s why I think they have their eye on Jimmy G.  Many think it’s a lateral move but we know Jimmy takes the layups and he wins.  The fact Ballard inquired about him during the Buckner trade speaks volumes I think.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Lynch and Ballard find a way to make it happen.  I can also see Ariens and Ballard finding a way to get Wentz to the Bucs.  Getting Wilson or Rodgers seems too far fetched and it looks like Carr is staying put.  So Jimmy looks like the target to me.  Time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is all settled well before the mid March deadline.  JMO.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think you’re right on the Mort report.  It does seem like they’ve decided to move on.  Hard to believe after only one year but finishing the way we did does have its consequences.  The not taking the layups comment by Ballard really resonated with me.  He was right and we all know it.  That’s why I think they have their eye on Jimmy G.  Many think it’s a lateral move but we know Jimmy takes the layups and he wins.  The fact Ballard inquired about him during the Buckner trade speaks volumes I think.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Lynch and Ballard find a way to make it happen.  I can also see Ariens and Ballard finding a way to get Wentz to the Bucs.  Getting Wilson or Rodgers seems too far fetched and it looks like Carr is staying put.  So Jimmy looks like the target to me.  Time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is all settled well before the mid March deadline.  JMO.

If not for Wentz being guaranteed $15m in 2022, I'd probably be out on him. It's not because he's terrible. It's simply due to his decision making. If the Colts decide not to throw good money after bad, I get it.

I don't think Jimmy G would be a target for me. not at his salary and the cost of trading for him. If we're going to spend that amount of resources on a guy, he either needs to be a star level player, or we need to be identifying a draft prospect that we'll build around for the next decade. Not another stopgap. I'd rather keep Wentz for another year. JMO.

One more thing on Wentz, I agreed with pursuing him, and I think his potential with Reich is as high as it would be with anyone else. (One exception: Maybe Arians, because he'll encourage Wentz to play hero ball, throw the ball downfield, no risk it no biscuit type of QBing. Arians just had a guy throw 30 INTs a couple years ago, and didn't bench him. If anyone will push Wentz's production while also accepting some mistakes along the way, it's Arians.)

But I didn't really consider the play to play aspect of Wentz's performance. When you watch every game, every play, and live and die with every snap, it changes things. Long story short, I don't trust Wentz to run any offense with the structure and rhythm that are necessary for the entire team to thrive. Maybe you can use him like the Titans use Tannehill, and I think that's a Reich problem with the way he calls plays. But you still have to trust the QB to make good decisions, soo... 

I'm fine with bringing Wentz back in 2022, if we don't have a reasonable chance of improving the position this year, but I've seriously downgraded my opinion of him from a year ago.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Spot on Superman and I agree wholeheartedly

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling it’s too late for Ballard. The time has passed where he can fix this. Once your on the hot seat it’s kind of hard to fix things because your then put into a corner and the answer isn’t there. The time to make the right moves is before your on the hot seat because then there isn’t pressure and your given some mulligans.

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Peter King  thinks there is probably a lot more to this story we don’t know if they are going to make this drastic of a move after a 9-8 season. If it ends up being Jimmy G mr guess it will be known very soon. Probably next week or two because SF has been working on trading him for awhile.

24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Peter King  thinks there is probably a lot more to this story we don’t know if they are going to make this drastic of a move after a 9-8 season. If it ends up being Jimmy G mr guess it will be known very soon. Probably next week or two because SF has been working on trading him for awhile.

Just read Peter's comments and it does seem like there is more to this that meets the eye.  I agree if it is Jimmy I think we will know soon.  I have to admit Jordan Love intrigues me as well if the Packers can keep Rodgers.  I read an article recently stating that if Love was in this years draft class he would be the top QB in the draft.  Getting him might be the smart long term move we are looking for. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read Peter's comments and it does seem like there is more to this that meets the eye.  I agree if it is Jimmy I think we will know soon.  I have to admit Jordan Love intrigues me as well if the Packers can keep Rodgers.  I read an article recently stating that if Love was in this years draft class he would be the top QB in the draft.  Getting him might be the smart long term move we are looking for. 

I would probably be ok with love. I just am not sure if you start him right away or sit him until you know more about him. I would be all in just playing him And getting the growing pains out. 

Another thought about this is Wentz didn’t do a season presser which was strange. Apparently he did the same thing I. Phili after the 2020 season. That isn’t a good look. 

If it ends up being Jimmy G we need to upgrade at TE. I actually think though Granson would fit well with him and his quick release. But weapons have to be upgraded and defense has to be better. In the end if your not giving up future 1sts it might be a good move because it allows us to still go get the long term answer in the draft.  

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I would probably be ok with love. I just am not sure if you start him right away or sit him until you know more about him. I would be all in just playing him And getting the growing pains out. 

Another thought about this is Wentz didn’t do a season presser which was strange. Apparently he did the same thing I. Phili after the 2020 season. That isn’t a good look. 

If it ends up being Jimmy G we need to upgrade at TE. I actually think though Granson would fit well with him and his quick release. But weapons have to be upgraded and defense has to be better. In the end if your not giving up future 1sts it might be a good move because it allows us to still go get the long term answer in the draft.  

TBH if Rodgers stays with the Packers I would be good with trading for Love and let him play behind Wentz if he stays.  That could set him up to step in if Wentz really doesn’t cut it.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

TBH if Rodgers stays with the Packers I would be good with trading for Love and let him play behind Wentz if he stays.  That could set him up to step in if Wentz really doesn’t cut it.

That actually isn’t a bad idea. But if there is more too this story with Wentz some bad habits could rub off. I think just play him and let him gain the experience. Taylor is there to take some pressure off. I just don’t think nallard liked him very much.  Draw Lock  has a ton experience and could be a option as well.

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That doesn’t always happen though. It’s very rare two QB like that happen to become available.

They made it happen.  Thats the point.

Sure, you cant draw blood from a stone, but EVERY available resource should be brought to bear  to solve the QB weakness.

There were no guarantees with the Stafford and Brady deals.  LA was aggressive.  Smartly aggressive.  And we dont need a Stafford or Brady.  Just some consistency would do wonders for this offense.  And I realize its not all on the QB.

I’ll take failing in that manner (Wentz deal?) , rather than hope for improvement from within.  Actually, a good balance hopefully leaning on good drafting and development. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 5:20 AM, bluephantom87 said:

After watching the Rams hoist the Lombardi it occurred to me that teams are getting more and more aggressive in today's nfl instead of following the same old script in trying to capture a ring. The Rams owner Stan Kroenke has taken that approach. Stan has let it be known with his words but more importantly has shown by his actions that he will do whatever it takes to amass talent on the field as well as staff. Tampa last year took the "all in" approach which led them to a SB. I love Irsay but I feel his statement was more of a lip service for the fans after an abrupt ending to the season.

The Gus Bradley hire meh. Frank's lackluster offense and playcalling meh. The Colt's choice at qb the last FEW years since Luck has been meh at best because NONE were capable of guiding the team to a SB. The last two were Frank's choice because he had prior history with them so he felt comfortable. I guess Nick Foles is next. Ballard's 10 yr plan is meh and ok if mediocrity or slightly above is your ultimate goal.

In the landscape of the afc alone the Colts are a middle of the pack team who hasn't won their division in YEARS and a team who also missed the playoffs THIS season. They lack playmakers at the skill positions like wr (minus one), te, qb, edge on defense, they don't have an elite corner and oh yeah are void at left t. 

I'm not asking Irsay to get crazy but I think a greater sense of urgency needs to be placed on the Ballard/Reich combo or this team will fall further back in the crowded afc (loaded with rising young dynamic qbs) instead of pushing for a SB. Whether you can actually get Wilson or A Rod at least put your name in the hat because you never know UNLESS the "whatever it takes" is simply just talk.

Not disagreeing with most of your statement as I think you're not far off. 

But, commenting on the bold... it makes sense Frank would prefer someone he is familiar with when the idea of getting an actual superstar was not going to come to fruition. I don't think it's as simple as 'it was Frank's choice'though, and don't think it's fair to really place blame on him.  The Luck retirement was a shock and undoubtedly Ballard had plans to build the team around him.  Jacoby wasn't cutting it, but he was good enough (along with Frank's coaching and Ballard's team) to put us in a position where we weren't able to draft tip talent at qb but not going to win a superbowl.. the lack of a top pick and the fa market combined to create a scenario where it made sense to use Rivers as a bandaid, and we showed we have a good enough team to make the playoffs with an old, immobile qb.  Rivers retired, the bandaid fell off, and although Wentz didn't pan out how some had hoped, the deal for him made sense regardless of Reichs history with him. Had we made the playoffs, I doubt there would be so much negativity surrounding Wentz.

On 2/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard really has failed. We have nothing. No QB, no LT, No TE,  only one WR. Five years and we have nothing to show for it. I think people get fooled by Ballard sweet talk and get sucked in. He doesn’t fool me anymore.

Lol, there was a point this year where we dominated the Pats, played well against the Bucs, dominated the Bills and had a gritty win against the Cardinals and everyone was saying we were the team nobody wanted to see in the playoffs and we were a legitimate SB contender.  We have a solid roster and need a few more pieces in place and we have no reason to believe that we can't compete in this league. 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, Superman said:

I think Elway really started this when he brought Peyton on board and had a stacked team for 2 years to win a SB (2 appearances).  Since then, they've kinda been in shambles. 

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Elway really started this when he brought Peyton on board and had a stacked team for 2 years to win a SB (2 appearances).  Since then, they've kinda been in shambles. 

It was kind of a standout situation, HOF QB becoming available like that. But in Denver's case, all it cost was cap space, which was a no brainer. They didn't have to trade a bunch of picks and/or players to get Manning, just had to sign him.

Archived