Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, richard pallo said:

I guess that is one way of looking at it.  If so it reinforces the thought that he is not happy with our current quarterback situation.  What is Ballard supposed to take from  this?   Does he do anything about it?  Is it status quo for another year at quarterback knowing the owner is clearly agitated and unhappy?  He didn’t have to like the tweet.   But he did.  It sure feels like it could be another surprised filled off season.

I figured it was beyond clear that he’s unhappy with the current QB situation at this point so I guess that’s why I didn’t figure it needed to be pointed out again.  I agree the big question is what can/will Ballard do?  This is going to be the decision that in all likely hood determines his future with the team.  Still knowing Irsay he wants/feels his team deserves a star QB.  I think he was more agreeing with that point than saying yeah we are in on one of these two specific QBs because both would have to be traded for.  Wilson has a no trade clause and so far has not listed the Colts as one of the teams he would take a trade too.  The Colts have also not been linked to Rodgers by any major NFL reporter.  Rodgers also has to say he still wants out of Green Bay first.  Reports late in the year were that him and Packers were making up so it’s possible he decides to go back there and isn’t available at all.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I guess that is one way of looking at it.  If so it reinforces the thought that he is not happy with our current quarterback situation.  What is Ballard supposed to take from  this?   Does he do anything about it?  Is it status quo for another year at quarterback knowing the owner is clearly agitated and unhappy?  He didn’t have to like the tweet.   But he did.  It sure feels like it could be another surprised filled off season.

Irsay needs to knock it off and stop acting like a child on Twitter. It’s bad for culture of the team. Bur this is one reason I am not excited for this team right now. Once a owner starts making demands it’s over for the GM and coach. If he demands Carson is gone that could put us in a even worse spot.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay needs to knock it off and stop acting like a child on Twitter. It’s bad for culture of the team. Bur this is one reason I am not excited for this team right now. Once a owner starts making demands it’s over for the GM and coach. If he demands Carson is gone that could put us in a even worse spot.

I think you are exaggerating saying he’s acting like a child.  He wants to win.  Anyone who knows anything about Irsay knows that.  I also don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that the QB play for this team was a major factor in keeping them out of the playoffs and it’s logical to say that position could be upgraded.  Also, we have no idea if he’s making demands of them.  It seems like reports from their meeting was he made it known the performance at the end of the year was unacceptable which is holding them accountable which is well within his rights as owner.  It was also reported by Reich and Ballard that it was positive meeting so probably more along the lines of this performance at the end of the year was unacceptable so how do we fix it?  We also have no clue if he’s demanded that Carson is gone or not.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think you are exaggerating saying he’s acting like a child.  He wants to win.  Anyone who knows anything about Irsay knows that.  I also don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that the QB play for this team was a major factor in keeping them out of the playoffs and it’s logical to say that position could be upgraded.  Also, we have no idea if he’s making demands of them.  It seems like reports from their meeting was he made it known the performance at the end of the year was unacceptable which is holding them accountable which is well within his rights as owner.  It was also reported by Reich and Ballard that it was positive meeting so probably more along the lines of this performance at the end of the year was unacceptable so how do we fix it?  We also have no clue if he’s demanded that Carson is gone or not.  

I just don’t trust Irsay right now. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have no reason not too.  He’s been one of the best owners in the NFL since he took over.  If you don’t trust him with over a 20 year track record then you do you.

I don’t trust anyone right now in this organization. They have to earn my trust again. Ballard has also done and said to many things that have hurt this team. Reich is probably the only one I trust.

Anyone that thinks we're getting Wilson or Rodgers are not living in reality. I would love for you to come up with a trade package that is logical and realistic enough to persuade the Seahawks or Packers along with outbidding 10+ other QB needy teams.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Anyone that thinks we're getting Wilson or Rodgers are not living in reality. I would love for you to come up with a trade package that is logical and realistic enough to persuade the Seahawks or Packers along with outbidding 10+ other QB needy teams.

Not to mention Wilson has a no trade clause and has not listed the Colts as one of the teams would accept a trade too.  Also, reports were Rodgers and the Packers were repairing fences at the end of the season.  It’s very possible he elects to stay in Green Bay and isn’t available at all.  

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He knows we need a Franchise QB to win, common sense. Been a fan since 1984. We have a good roster and a RB like Taylor, can't waste it, time to take care of business. Leonard, Nelson, Defo, and Moore = we are good there. Taylor baby!

Neither.   For all the reasons why, and you know all of them, they don’t need to be repeated.   And yet you ignore the reality.  

You have too much time and an over-active imagination.  

Neither is coming.   Neither would want to play or live in Indiana 7-8 months a year.   By the way, did you hear the news?   Rodgers is either buying or building a house in…………..  Tennessee.    Not kidding.  

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Neither.   For all the reasons why, and you know all of them, they don’t need to be repeated.   And yet you ignore the reality.  

You have too much time and an over-active imagination.  

Neither is coming.   Neither would want to play or live in Indiana 7-8 months a year.   By the way, did you hear the news?   Rodgers is either buying or building a house in…………..  Tennessee.    Not kidding.  

Rodgers bought land in Tennessee. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never know.

You never know but you can make an educated prediction if you look at the evidence.

1.  The Colts have not been listed by any major national media source as a landing place for either QB.

2.  Wilson has a no trade clause and there was a list that came out of teams he’d accept a trade too, the Colts were not on it.

3.  Reports were late in the year the Packers were mending fences with Rodgers and there is a good chance he elects to return there.

4.  If either is truly on the market it’s going to cost a kings ransom to get either and that’s not what Ballard does.

5.  If either is truly on the market the Colts will be far from the only team that would be interested.  The Colts might be the only team without a first round pick in this draft that’s interested meaning they would have an extremely hard time topping any other team’s offer for them.

Based on all that the odds greatly favor them not getting either guy.  If you want to hold on to hope of you never know then that’s okay to do that but it follows a dangerous precedent several do on this forum during the off-season.  Come up with an idea that was not going to happen.  Get mad when it doesn’t happen even though it was never going to happen.  Blame team for not doing what was never going to happen.  

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why wouldn't Wilson love it here. Indiana is a great state.We have the best RB in the world to boot. St Elmo is awesome + a friendly state.

I’ve made this post several times before.   And so have numerous other posters.   So you do know.  

Wilson and his singer wife Ciara want to live in a glamorous big city market, or in a state with no taxes,  or one that has a legit chance to win a SB.   As our 2021 season demonstrated, we’re not there yet.   But since Wilson would be a trade and not a FA sign, all the picks and possible players we’d have to send Seattle to get Wilson would make the Colts a less desirable destination.

If Seattle wants to move him to an AFC franchise, it’s more likely to be Houston, or Miami,  or the NYJ,  or Tenn before he’d consider the Colts.   

We would need Wilson to do a restructure and extension.   Odds are he’d refuse and that would be the end of that.   Wilson has leverage, with Seattle and with any team that wants him.

Im not saying our chances with Wilson and Rodgers are zero.   But they’re both long shots.   Maybe 1-2 percent.   Maybe. 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You do realize Brady and Wilson are by far the exceptions and not the rule right?  Other than those two, Foles and Brees every QB to win the Super Bowl dating back to the 2002 season (so the past 20 years) was a first round pick.  Remember Foles took over for an injured first round pick and Brees was the first pick of the second round you are really talking about Brady and Wilson and of those Wilson won one Super Bowl in that time.  So you are really talking about Brady.  

Of course I know.

My post was just meant as a small provocation and to say, that we dont need to sell our future to find our next QB that can. bring us to a super bowl win.

I honestly dont think we would get closer to winning a super bowl, by trading away our future by trading for Rodgers or Wilson, as it would cost too much.

Wentz is bad, we all know that, but we just need to find a reliable QB that is an upgrade over wentz, which should be possible.

But even though we got a new QB, say Jimmy G or Jamies Winston or who ever we bring in, we still need to get better in both the pass rush and at WR and Left Tackle.

So let say we get Rodgers for our future draft picks, one or two players, then what?

Would we then be Super Bowl bound? hell no.

Ballard has made one huge mistake in his time as the colts GM, which is trading for Wentz... but that mistake will hunt us in the years to come.

I hope they straight out cut wentz or trade him for what ever we can get for him, if we can get anything for him.

And then tell Frank Reich, that it is AFC championship game or bye bye.

I love Frank Reich, but he wont win anything in indy. I want a no nonsense and tougher coach, with a winning personality, and not a man who constantly speaks about climbing a mountain, which only gets higher and more steep for each season.

Colts will never reach the top with reich nor with wentz.  

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts over achieved last year?  OL and Qb missed all of training camp and we started off 1-4.  OL continued to be decimated by injuries all year.  We lost our #2&3 receiver for basically the year, no pass rush, played backups at Safety nearly all year, QB ran for his life the entire season and our defense continually fell apart in the 4th quarter. 

With all this we still went on a great run and had a chance at the playoffs. Yeah it sucks we didn’t close out but sooner or later all that was going to catch up with us. We most likely were getting bounced in the first round bc that’s a lot to overcome and win playoff games. Peyton Manning would have trouble getting to the SB with these circumstances.  Neither Wilson or Rodgers will get us there.  We have too many holes at critical positions to even be discussing the Super Bowl and we desperately need guys to heal.  

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

While I agree that they would not be a "long term future" QB for us... Peyton was not a long term guy in Denver, but he did take them to 2 Super Bowls in 4 years and they won one of the two... Brady was not long term in Tampa, but he did take them to and won a Super Bowl... Favre was not long term with the Vikings, but gave them a couple of their best years...I would take that, gladly... It is hard to make it to a Super Bowl, let alone win one... so any chance we have, I would take... we do have a good core of young players, but their prime years will not last forever... While finding a QB in the draft would be great, we really dont have time for one to mature, without wasting our core guy's primes, right now.   Even Peyton took a few years to come into his own, as most young QBs do...that's why i'm for finding a top vet QB for the team we have RIGHT NOW...and if we do, and we make a run at or win a Super Bowl, once that QB retires, we can look at where we are and move accordingly.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you think he’s bought land in Tennessee so he can play in Indiana?!?  

Come on, that’s more than a little far fetched.   

Gotta disagree with you here NCF. It’s likely Rogers bought the land in Tennessee for his permanent low tax residence. But he can play anywhere. Rivers came here from San Diego as he moved his family to the Bama/Florida coast for their permanent, low tax home. 
Now, do I agree with you that Rogers won’t be coming here? Absolutely. He’ll stay in Green Bay to try for one last title. 

I could see either coming here myself but it would require a big move.

The rogers to Tennessee news is over blown, building a house doesnt mean he is signing there.  The titans said they are not pursuing him too, they are more committed to RT than we are to CW

Jim is getting impatient, something could happen 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Seattle wants to move him to an AFC franchise, it’s more likely to be Houston, or Miami,  or the NYJ,  or Tenn before he’d consider the Colts.

I will make the opposite case here.  The titans are keeping RT, not making a move for Rogers or Wilson.

The Texans and Jets are just downright bad franchises, Colts would be a better chance to actually win.  We might have trouble winning them over Miami

Put me in the "dont see it happening" group.... fun to think about, but just dont see it

I think you will see Carson Wentz under center this year... I think the sooner we put our arms around that, the better we all will be 

One QB that I would like to see the Colts draft this year is Bailey Zappe

(In the 3rd or 4th round, not earlier)

He is NOT ready to be an NFL player, he needs some time to develop

He is mobile, has a quick release, and is very accurate. His arm strength is average

He just set a record for college QBs of 62 TDs...He just needs some NFL coaching, and time to develop (IMHO)

Archived