Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'm actually not the least bit worried about losing those 2.  Odds are a new DC would want to hire his own guys anyway 

It makes sense to give James Rowe some credit for better DB play this year, but he was likely an Eberflus hire. The team would have anticipated losing assistants along with Eberflus, and they've said they expected him to leave sooner or later. He was a rising star in Dallas before he came to the Colts, so it was always a matter of time. 

Now we'll see how prepared they are to reshape the defensive staff. None of us really know assistant coaches and position guys, so I'm not too worked up. I'm more excited by the potential changes that are on the way. Hopefully we'll know more in a week.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Again you're missing my point. I'm not saying these coaches are bad. I'm saying teams normally pillage from top tier teams which we haven't been. Teams want coaches from successful franchises who continue to win year after year and make deep playoff runs. Look at all the times the Patriots have been pillaged. All I'm saying is the colts are not successful enough to be losing coaches when we have only one playoff win and zero division crowns since 2015.

Eberflus has led a D that has been top ten in a number of categories each of the last 4 years i have read. So...

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Again you're missing my point. I'm not saying these coaches are bad. I'm saying teams normally pillage from top tier teams which we haven't been. Teams want coaches from successful franchises who continue to win year after year and make deep playoff runs. Look at all the times the Patriots have been pillaged. All I'm saying is the colts are not successful enough to be losing coaches when we have only one playoff win and zero division crowns since 2015.

Eberflus has led a D that has been top ten in a number of categories each of the last 4 years i have read. So...

27 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Please tell me it isn't going to be Williams getting promoted.... This is my biggest fear.... If it was gonna be him, he would need to keep most of the Assistants on staff, I doubt he draws a ton of interest as a DC when bringing in outside position coaches... A guy like Richards or Schwartz, however brings enough experience, and credibility combined with the networking, to bring in guys as position coaches who have a chance to be upgrades.... Williams would be a very milquetoast, tread water hire....barely moving the needle.

Yeah, I don't necessarily want to promote within, but if we did, Williams would be my choice.  I think Richards is my top candidate, but we'll see how it goes down.  Schwartz has generally had a solid track record as far as defense goes, but he's been DC at 3 different teams and was planning to retire recently before the Titans hired him back.  So I don't know that it's wise to hire Schwartz if we're thinking long term.  Zimmer I think is even older than Schwartz and could be on his way to retirement before long.  So I have him a little further down the list, but his track record is very solid.  The Indy Star had an article listing Wink Martindale and Lovie Smith as options and they convinced me as other interesting options as well.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I could see him being brought in as a defensive assistant/DB coach, but not jumping straight to DC.

- DeMeco Ryans started with SF in 2017 as a defensive quality control coach, 2018 became ILB coach, then in 2021 DC.

- Byron Leftwich started with AZ in 2016 as a coaching intern, 2017 he became QB coach, 2018 became interim OC when McCoy was fired mid-season, 2019 he was hired as OC for TB.

I'd love to hire Butler in some coaching capacity, but I don't think he has the coaching experience yet to become a DC.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I could see him being brought in as a defensive assistant/DB coach, but not jumping straight to DC.

- DeMeco Ryans started with SF in 2017 as a defensive quality control coach, 2018 became ILB coach, then in 2021 DC.

- Byron Leftwich started with AZ in 2016 as a coaching intern, 2017 he became QB coach, 2018 became interim OC when McCoy was fired mid-season, 2019 he was hired as OC for TB.

I'd love to hire Butler in some coaching capacity, but I don't think he has the coaching experience yet to become a DC.

I don’t think anyone is saying DC. He specially mentioned DB coach and some kind or defensive assistant. He is smart as a whip and would be a great mind to the defense.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t think anyone is saying DC. He specially mentioned DB coach and some kind or defensive assistant. He is smart as a whip and would be a great mind to the defense.

This is literally the tweet he replied to:

Everything I've seen around this is DC, not DB coach.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He was on pat mcafee today. He mentioned other positions.

The conversation was around DC and he mentioned being open to other positions. I think he realizes that DC is a big jump and would go in as a DB coach or passing game coordinator, but not as an intern or QC guy.

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

The conversation was around DC and he mentioned being open to other positions. I think he realizes that DC is a big jump and would go in as a DB coach or passing game coordinator, but not as an intern or QC guy.

He knows he isn’t qualified for DC. Fans who are mentioning it are just being silly. That’s how Twitter works. Fans know he isn’t qualified to be DC. I don’t take that stuff serious because I know fans are just being silly and joking around.  Sounds like he wants to get back into the nfl. He did say he already called ballard. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

He also has the fewest sacks in his tenure. Again I'm not bashing Flus. I'm just perplexed why teams want our coaches instead of the Chiefs or Rams or Bills coaches.

A bit late on this, but I think Eberflus will be a better Head Coach than Defensive Coordinator. As cliche as it sounds, he is a leader amongst men, and I think he has the qualities such as accountability and discipline to lead the Bears into a winning franchise. 

31 minutes ago, MTC said:

A bit late on this, but I think Eberflus will be a better Head Coach than Defensive Coordinator. As cliche as it sounds, he is a leader amongst men, and I think he has the qualities such as accountability and discipline to lead the Bears into a winning franchise. 

Absolutly. That’s why he was getting so many opportunities. Now he just has to surround himself with a good offensive staff for Fields. Bears are in a better spot QB wide and DE wise them the colts.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Yup. I think he was a good DC. I think he could be a very good HC.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Absolutly. That’s why he was getting so many opportunities. Now he just has to surround himself with a good offensive staff for Fields. Bears are in a better spot QB wide and DE wise them the colts.

Not sure Fields will have success so hard to say they are better at QB, he could improve certainly but this year he looked lost and over his head 100% no one will claim otherwise. He may be Haskins 2.0

5 hours ago, Superman said:

It makes sense to give James Rowe some credit for better DB play this year, but he was likely an Eberflus hire. The team would have anticipated losing assistants along with Eberflus, and they've said they expected him to leave sooner or later. He was a rising star in Dallas before he came to the Colts, so it was always a matter of time. 

Now we'll see how prepared they are to reshape the defensive staff. None of us really know assistant coaches and position guys, so I'm not too worked up. I'm more excited by the potential changes that are on the way. Hopefully we'll know more in a week.

Looking forward on this. More assistant coaches may follow Eberflus or just find other teams. Eberflus wasn't terrible, just wasn't getting done what Colts needed to win games. But I really don't know if it was him or the talent of the players. Pass rushers we have are wet behind the ears. Haha I wish Eberflus the best.

26 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not sure Fields will have success so hard to say they are better at QB, he could improve certainly but this year he looked lost and over his head 100% no one will claim otherwise. He may be Haskins 2.0

They at  least have a young guy who can grow. Better then us stuck on the hamster wheel at QB. Manning looked overwhelmed as a rookie too. Fields looked better then Lawrence. He just needs to learn to protect himself and not take so many hits. Nagy was such a bad coach.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They at  least have a young guy who can grow. Better then us stuck on the hamster wheel at QB. Manning looked overwhelmed as a rookie too. Fields looked better then Lawrence. He just needs to learn to protect himself and not take so many hits. Nagy was such a bad coach.

Both him and Lawrence looked overwhelmed, Trevor has an NFL arm at least. Fields will need to be more a dual threat, not sure Fields will ever hit Wentz level which isnt very high but Carson was the leader for MVP at one time...can Fields ever get there ? No idea honestly but off to a very slow start 

40 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ok….   Let’s slow your roll here.   

Fields could be a bust and still be better than Haskins 2.0.     Fields is far better than that.   Haskins was a major failure with talk of unprofessional behavior in his first few years.   There’s no talk like that for Fields.  

And what’s with the ….  “No one will claim him otherwise” crack?   What does that even mean?   If Fields were waived today, all 31 other teams would put in a claim for him, even those teams who might only want him as a backup.   

I don’t pretend to get any points you’re trying to make here, other than you don’t like Fields. 

15 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Bears have a lot more to fix than the Colts. Nagy was terrible, I don't think he was Fields problem. Fields will get better once the game slows down for him. I'm hoping anyways, the problem we have with Wentz is he plays a lot like a rookie. Bad footwork bad mental mistakes and he is what 29 or 30 years of age? Don't know if he can be fixed. We don't know if there is going to be better options out there for QB if Colts decide to move on from Wentz. But Bears IMO have further to go than the Colts. So keep that as a motivation for your team. Haha

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….   Let’s slow your roll here.   

Fields could be a bust and still be better than Haskins 2.0.     Fields is far better than that.   Haskins was a major failure with talk of unprofessional behavior in his first few years.   There’s no talk like that for Fields.  

And what’s with the ….  “No one will claim him otherwise” crack?   What does that even mean?   If Fields were waived today, all 31 other teams would put in a claim for him, even those teams who might only want him as a backup.   

I don’t pretend to get any points you’re trying to make here, other than you don’t like Fields. 

Fields looked real bad this season, I dont like nor dislike him honestly but year 1 was not good at all. Haskins was the previous Ohio State hyped QB and flamed out (He may be in Pitts plan we have no idea the direction as of yet but Mason and Haskins on equal footing it looks like).  Not sure I'd take Fields over Wentz which is what the debate was over.

Sorry….  You went for the easy comparison.   Without saying do specifically, you compared Fields to Haskins.   Both from Ohio State and both black.   

The difference was Haskins has been much much worse.   Fields has been a rookie.  Neither was ready to start when they were both forced to.   That both are disappointments is a surprise to no one who understands this.   But Haskins was much worse.   Fields still has a future worth developing.  

36 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Fields looked real bad this season, I dont like nor dislike him honestly but year 1 was not good at all. Haskins was the previous Ohio State hyped QB and flamed out (He may be in Pitts plan we have no idea the direction as of yet but Mason and Haskins on equal footing it looks like).  Not sure I'd take Fields over Wentz which is what the debate was over.

I can understand a little bit of what your saying about Ohio State players being busts. The thing is OSU has so many good players coming into the draft each year and it is hard for NFL teams to pass on them. Most are just hit and miss like any other player. Seems here lately the injury bug or what you call busts have hit OSU players quite a bit especially when the Colts draft them.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….  You went for the easy comparison.   Without saying do specifically, you compared Fields to Haskins.   Both from Ohio State and both black.   

The difference was Haskins has been much much worse.   Fields has been a rookie.  Neither was ready to start when they were both forced to.   That both are disappointments is a surprise to no one who understands this.   But Haskins was much worse.   Fields still has a future worth developing.  

Exactly he is a Rookie and next year he should do better cause the game has slowed down for him a bit.

2 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I can understand a little bit of what your saying about Ohio State players being busts. The thing is OSU has so many good players coming into the draft each year and it is hard for NFL teams to pass on them. Most are just hit and miss like any other player. Seems here lately the injury bug or what you call busts have hit OSU players quite a bit especially when the Colts draft them.

Colts with  OSU draft picks have been snake bitten 100%......video games, short careers for senate runs etc....

28 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Colts with  OSU draft picks have been snake bitten 100%......video games, short careers for senate runs etc....

Well in my NFL video games I use to make sure I had Eddie George and I would like the Colts to just shake a leg and see what Saints want for Michael Thomas. Haha

On 1/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, Superman said:

Big time congrats to him. That's a nice job, he has an exciting new GM, a young talented QB, talent on defense, roster flexibility, and an organization that has committed itself to fixing its issues. I hope he does well.

I'm also looking forward to the Colts hiring a new DC. I hope it's not a promotion of an internal guy. I think we need new blood, a new voice, and fresh perspective to help the defense take a big step forward. 

But if it is an internal guy, I would expect James Rowe and Alan Williams to get consideration.

Man I agree so much. Stop the in house hiring go after people you trust and spend some gosh dang money.. Haha

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Yes they may risk it, not saying they trade him but they could sure look to upgrade his competition as opposed to Dalton and Foles. With Flus taking the reigns no telling his thoughts on Fields he may not have as much patience as the previous regime if his development is stalled.

As for both Fields and Haskins being black I could care less their color actually, both came from Ohio State and played in the same system and Haskins even called Fields his lil brother, many comparisons were made last spring perhaps some forgot or never read them. Here is a very good article which could shed more light on it

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/justin-fields-says-hes-different-dwayne-haskins-past-ohio-state-qbs

Goodness gracious….    Do you really think Chicago just hired a head coach whose plan to make Justin Fields better is to up the competition in the QB room?!?   

Dalton and Foles are as good a pair of backups as there are on any one team in the NFL.    The Bears QB who has to get better is FIELDS, not the backups.   Fields didn’t struggle as a rookie because the backups weren’t good.   He struggled because he’s a ROOKIE!!   Hello?!?   

Almost all rookie quarterbacks struggle to one degree or another.   They’re not ready to play at a high enough level as rookies.   But they play because the team is under enormous pressure to see what the rookie QB can do.   Teams botch this every year. 

Guys like Luck are the exception to the rule, they aren’t the rule.   Most rookies are like Fields.  This past class of rookie quarterbacks featured the most heralded QB since Luck.  Other than the last game of the season, Trevor Lawrence completely under-achieved.   As did Wilson.  As did Lance.   As did Fields.   As did Mayfield and Darnold and Rosen.   On and on and on. 

The 5th QB drafted, MAC Jones, he looked pretty good.   All it took was the Best HC in the history of the sport, one of the best coordinators, and a very good roster filled with veterans.   

Chicago is NOT moving on from Fields.  Not yet.   Not this soon.   If they did, they’d be crucified for mishandling the kid, and rightfully so.   Sorry, but your view is a fans view.   

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious….    Do you really think Chicago just hired a head coach whose plan to make Justin Fields better is to up the competition in the QB room?!?   

Dalton and Foles are as good a pair of backups as there are on any one team in the NFL.    The Bears QB who has to get better is FIELDS, not the backups.   Fields didn’t struggle as a rookie because the backups weren’t good.   He struggled because he’s a ROOKIE!!   Hello?!?   

Almost all rookie quarterbacks struggle to one degree or another.   They’re not ready to play at a high enough level as rookies.   But they play because the team is under enormous pressure to see what the rookie QB can do.   Teams botch this every year. 

Guys like Luck are the exception to the rule, they aren’t the rule.   Most rookies are like Fields.  This past class of rookie quarterbacks featured the most heralded QB since Luck.  Other than the last game of the season, Trevor Lawrence completely under-achieved.   As did Wilson.  As did Lance.   As did Fields.   As did Mayfield and Darnold and Rosen.   On and on and on. 

The 5th QB drafted, MAC Jones, he looked pretty good.   All it took was the Best HC in the history of the sport, one of the best coordinators, and a very good roster filled with veterans.   

Chicago is NOT moving on from Fields.  Not yet.   Not this soon.   If they did, they’d be crucified for mishandling the kid, and rightfully so.   Sorry, but your view is a fans view.   

Do you really think Flus wont acquire a QB to his liking to improve and make his team better if not happy with Dalton or Foles (Dalton is a free agent remember) ? If so you are definitely in the minority. Now do the Bears hope Fields will improve ? Well of course they do and he likely wont be much worse than -3  td/int ratio. Some rookie #1 pick QB's improve enough to stick as starters some do not and are gone soon (As mentioned about Rosen and talked about in Haskins). 

The original talk about  Bears in better shape at QB currently then the Colts, that is not the case at the moment. Wentz is better then Fields.

49 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Do you really think Flus wont acquire a QB to his liking to improve and make his team better if not happy with Dalton or Foles (Dalton is a free agent remember) ? If so you are definitely in the minority. Now do the Bears hope Fields will improve ? Well of course they do and he likely wont be much worse than -3  td/int ratio. Some rookie #1 pick QB's improve enough to stick as starters some do not and are gone soon (As mentioned about Rosen and talked about in Haskins). 

The original talk about  Bears in better shape at QB currently then the Colts, that is not the case at the moment. Wentz is better then Fields.

I don’t think Flus gets this job if he’s told the new GM that Fields isn’t very good, or that he has one year to prove himself.  Flus has to have a plan to make Fields better.  It’s the same for any new HC who inherits a struggling young QB, like in places Chi, Hou and even JVille. 

As for being in the minority, if you’re talking about fans — sure.   And I could care less what fans think.   Fans always want better.  BFD.    Neither Dalton or Foles are good enough to be 17 game starters at this point of their career.   But they are above average backups good for spot duty.   Ballard would’ve loved to have had either this past season instead of Eason or Ehlinger.  

The issue for Chicago is making Fields the best he can be.   If Flus wants a different backup, I’m sure the new GM will try to make it happen.   But FIELDS is the key, not the backup.   First round QBs typically get 3-4 years to prove themselves.   If it’s less,  as it was with Haskins, it’s typically off the field issues.   Fields doesn’t have those.  

22 hours ago, MTC said:

If he surrounds himself with good coordinators he’ll be fine. The OC will be very crucial in getting Fields to the next level. 

Archived