Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Context for Wentz Critics

EastStreet

Just a little context and comparison for all those whining about QB play.....

OL Rank   QBR      PR       TD%         INT%           ANY/A     Supporting Cast (rank)

Luck18                   #3             #5       98.7       6.1             2.3               6.95          NA

Brissett19               #3            #21     88.0       4.0            1.3               5.87           NA

Rivers20                  #7           #19      97.0      4.4             2.0              7.18            #11

Wentz21                 #16*         #8       95.8      5.3              1.2              6.72           #22 (driven up by catching RBs)

Mahomes21            #2*          #5       98.8       5.7              2.1              7.1            #13

Note - OL rank for 21 is through the first 3Qs (12-13 games)

So.....

• Wentz had no preseason
  • Wentz had the worst OL of our previous 3 QBs, and way worse than KC this year
  • Wentz was coming off surgery and injured early
  • Wentz's supporting cast of pass catchers is just not great

Yet, Wentz is is top 10 in QBR, not far off from Mahomes (or Luck in 18) in QBR or PR, and has one of the best TD/INT ratios in the league...... 

ANY/A is not far off, which is a bit shocking to me given Reich's play calling. 

In short..

Is he perfect. No.

Is he bad. No.

Will he be better with a better and more stable OL. Very likely. 

Will he be better with improved pass catchers. Very likely.

Has he improved dramatically since last year, and improved with a mediocre OL and pass catchers...... Heck yes.... 

Folks need to chill... 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

OL Rank   QBR      PR       TD%         INT%           ANY/A     Supporting Cast (rank)

Luck18                   #3             #5       98.7       6.1             2.3               6.95          NA

Brissett19               #3            #21     88.0       4.0            1.3               5.87           NA

Rivers20                  #7           #19      97.0      4.4             2.0              7.18            #11

Wentz21                 #16*         #8       95.8      5.3              1.2              6.72           #22 (driven up by catching RBs)

Mahomes21            #2*          #5       98.8       5.7              2.1              7.1            #13

So.....

• Wentz had no preseason

Yet, Wentz is is top 10 in QBR, not far off from Mahomes (or Luck in 18) in QBR or PR, and has one of the best TD/INT ratios in the league...... 

In short..

Is he perfect. No.

Is he bad. No.

Has he improved dramatically since last year, and improved with a mediocre OL and pass catchers...... Heck yes.... 

Folks need to chill... 

Good post!

If I didn’t know better, I’d almost think you believe Frank has done a very good job with his 4th straight different quarterback, especially given all the circumstances you’ve so nicely laid out?!? 

:peek:

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post!

If I didn’t know better, I’d almost think you believe Frank has done a very good job with his 4th straight different quarterback, especially given all the circumstances you’ve so nicely laid out?!? 

:peek:

Just think what Wentz could do with a good play caller, good OL, and an upgrade at pass catchers... 

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Jack86 said:

It’s so hard not to troll any Wentz posts, but I do agree with what your saying. Feels like we’ll have more of an idea about Wentz next season. 

Go Colts.

I was pretty meh when we signed him. Then I looked at the Philly context. Now I'm just looking at the context for this year.

Personally I think he'll be better with a more stable OL. We've been incredibly up and down this year. 

But while I think the OL is big impact, I think the lack of speed WRs and over-abundance of conservative possession route play calling has limited what Wentz can do. He's not a surgical technician like Rivers in the short game. He is a guy that can do great things on a level 2 and 3 basis, and Reich simply hasn't prioritized that type of play calling in the last 3 years. 

Who knows what will happen. But this year if individually looked on it's own is pretty decent by the numbers, and in comparison to his year in 2020, is a HUGE step forward. That's simply positive. 

• NFLfan changed the title to Context for Wentz Critics

I removed a few comments in which members were bickering. Let's quit doing that. The playoffs are coming and we want all of you to be part of the discussions/threads.

If it helps, put someone on "Ignore". Thank you.

Good night. Good luck in the game.

I mean sure, if you look at the entire season so far he’s done well. But try and compare his performance from the first half of the season or even the entire season in general to his last three games. 

A lot of his bad performance during the last month or so is him just not hitting his targets. He deserves his share of the blame but to be honest Frank hasn’t done a good enough job with the passing game either. 

I really hope the Raiders game was a wake up call for them and we will see a different offense against Jax. 

wentz overall given the circumstances has played well .   the only problem i have is over the last couple games his mechanics have regressed to 2020 levels at times .  Missing wide open check downs by overthrowing them , and having stretches in the game he cant complete a pass .   he just goes cold for long streaks over throwing every thing .    in the middle of the year something clicked from the second half of the dolphins game where he started playing very well .  after the bucs game he started going back to old habits , hopefully he gets back on track today with a full week of practice .

Sunshine pumping Wentz with an embedded backhanded criticism of Frank?  LOL.

Is there any data about Wentz accuracy of late?  He's always been a pretty good decision maker, evidenced by low interceptions over his career for the most part.

Decision making and accuracy are the two most important attributes of an NFL QB, provided he passes a certain arm strength standard.  Wentz generally makes good decisions (and the poor ones seem to fall incomplete), but his accuracy has been pretty inconsistent lately.

Oh wait, that's the fault of play calling, I'm sure of it.  

Looking like a duck-footed giraffe when he tries to move sideways and throwing with his feet wide apart is because Frank either calls bad plays or because Frank doesn't know how to coach a QB......got it.

The team needs better pass catchers.  Wentz was awful last week but he did have Covid  and had no preparation for LV and LT is rough.  He gets a pass for that IMO.

Even though Taylor is incredible and better than I thought, I still don’t think you can run yourself very far in the playoffs and that the passing game sets up the run in today’s NFL.  I was wavering on that belief earlier, but the run game has been largely contained the last few weeks except for a handful of home runs by Taylor.  When the line isn’t getting him to the 2nd level, teams are stuffing most of our runs and we struggle on 3rd and long.

Wentz isn’t in the same universe as Rivers in the short passing game, and I think that is obvious.  Teams are scared of Taylor up the middle now, and often keep depth at safety like they are afraid of deep passes but it’s JT that is the threat.  Playing single high safeties is probably unwise with Taylor’s constant threat to break it.  We should be able to exploit this with the passing game outside the numbers.

Hopefully, and I’m not too hopeful, if Campbell can return and give us some threat catching it wide we will be more consistent v better teams.  

We are going to finish 1 game better than I thought assuming we beat JAX, but what is encouraging to me is how beatable the entire AFC is.  KCs D is enigmatic and they look vulnerable this last month and we know we can beat the other teams other than Cindy.  I think we’d struggle badly trying to contain their receivers.

It is difficult to predict the NFL this season more than most IMO.  Just when you think you know something, TB hits a rough patch, bills start to play well again, etc.  Strange year full of parody.

So I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if we get bounced ignobly in round 1 or if we make a SB run.

I’d be surprised but not shocked if we lost at JAx.  I was at the 1st game and after Taylors long TD and the punt block we were outplayed and they had the ball with a chance to win or tie on their last drive.

To me we will get as far as Wentz takes us.  He’s got to clear the way for the running game to hang with the big time Os like Cincy and KC IMO.

I feel like he'll get better as he develops continuity with his line and targets. That pass he missed with TY wide open is borderline unforgivable....but it is forgivable, because of a lack of practice for both guys. I agree with some posters about the mechanics issue as well. His feet get wayyy too wide apart on some throws and imo, hurts his accuracy as well. It's hard for a qb to look good being a game manager. With the D playing well and the running game doing it's thing, that's really all he has to be. If Campbell can stay healthy for 4-5 games and stretch the field, we'll prob see a better Carson down the stretch.

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The team needs better pass catchers.  Wentz was awful last week but he did have Covid  and had no preparation for LV and LT is rough.  He gets a pass for that IMO.

Even though Taylor is incredible and better than I thought, I still don’t think you can run yourself very far in the playoffs and that the passing game sets up the run in today’s NFL.  I was wavering on that belief earlier, but the run game has been largely contained the last few weeks except for a handful of home runs by Taylor.  When the line isn’t getting him to the 2nd level, teams are stuffing most of our runs and we struggle on 3rd and long.

Wentz isn’t in the same universe as Rivers in the short passing game, and I think that is obvious.  Teams are scared of Taylor up the middle now, and often keep depth at safety like they are afraid of deep passes but it’s JT that is the threat.  Playing single high safeties is probably unwise with Taylor’s constant threat to break it.  We should be able to exploit this with the passing game outside the numbers.

Hopefully, and I’m not too hopeful, if Campbell can return and give us some threat catching it wide we will be more consistent v better teams.  

We are going to finish 1 game better than I thought assuming we beat JAX, but what is encouraging to me is how beatable the entire AFC is.  KCs D is enigmatic and they look vulnerable this last month and we know we can beat the other teams other than Cindy.  I think we’d struggle badly trying to contain their receivers.

It is difficult to predict the NFL this season more than most IMO.  Just when you think you know something, TB hits a rough patch, bills start to play well again, etc.  Strange year full of parody.

So I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if we get bounced ignobly in round 1 or if we make a SB run.

I’d be surprised but not shocked if we lost at JAx.  I was at the 1st game and after Taylors long TD and the punt block we were outplayed and they had the ball with a chance to win or tie on their last drive.

To me we will get as far as Wentz takes us.  He’s got to clear the way for the running game to hang with the big time Os like Cincy and KC IMO.

Great post, i think the broncos gave a pretty good blueprint to succeeding vs the chiefs and the Colts can do what they did last night well if they face each other.

Your post misses the point about Wentz. No one questions his physical ability. It is his decision making. Wentz is known to make bad decisions and to panic under pressure. That is what is happening to the Colts.   He also holds the ball too long which shows up in a poorer offensive line rating. He has also been very lucky with interceptions or lack thereof this year. Several dropped interceptions. Last weeks game is a prime example. He throws a pass up for grabs that should have been intercepted. The two DB's fight over the ball and deflect it to Hilton. What should have been an INT on paper looks like a great play. Even his completions to open receivers have not been on the money costing YAC.  Hopefully with a full year Frank can fix him but after 7 years it will be difficult. 

Yep the fact he’s been a top 15 QB this year with no training camp, an inconsistent OL and minimal weapons  is very encouraging. Here’s hoping Ballard gives him more weapons. I’m actually more concerned about the D moving forward. You got to have a more consistent pass rush if you want to have deep playoff runs. Hopefully Paye and Dayo continue to improve moving forward. 

40 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Your post misses the point about Wentz. No one questions his physical ability. It is his decision making. Wentz is known to make bad decisions and to panic under pressure. That is what is happening to the Colts.   He also holds the ball too long which shows up in a poorer offensive line rating. He has also been very lucky with interceptions or lack thereof this year. Several dropped interceptions. Last weeks game is a prime example. He throws a pass up for grabs that should have been intercepted. The two DB's fight over the ball and deflect it to Hilton. What should have been an INT on paper looks like a great play. Even his completions to open receivers have not been on the money costing YAC.  Hopefully with a full year Frank can fix him but after 7 years it will be difficult. 

Or not a good decision maker? Carson is much like Luck.

He rarely throws the ball before his receiver makes his break. They wait and use their big arm to try to make up the difference. Luck quit because of the RESULTING Damage of His style.

Wentz's Thing is to not throw int.'s. Wait Wait that looks safe. Braden Smith don't look so good 2.8+ seconds after the snap. Nor will any LT if your QB doesn't have the basic common sense to move up from a deep set after about 2.5!!! 
 Funny that you people thing Frank and Brady wouldn't Like more quick, mid-range passes in their attack. Everybody else does it! Hmmm! Right, it's a everything but a Wentz problem. 

Wentz will Always negatively affect the grading of his o-line with his

Style and poor pocket awareness and movement. 
 And yes a SOLID, complimentary running game is a very good thing, but the rules are set up for the passing game.

Some guys got it, some guys never will!  As we wait...

It is widely thought we are a heavy favorite today.

But for me there is one person that makes me a little nervous about it.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So.....

• Wentz had no preseason

In short..

Is he perfect. No.

Is he bad. No.

Folks need to chill... 

I think the bigger question is what the heck happened to our top 5 OL?! Surely AC’s retirement couldn’t have set us back that badly

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think the bigger question is what the heck happened to our top 5 OL?! Surely AC’s retirement couldn’t have set us back that badly

injuries  the line was very healthy last year overall except Ac being banged up towards the end of the year .    nelson was banged up all year  we had games with two backup tackles in them multiple times .    plus i thought ryan kelly's play went down hill which is why i was confused he made the probowl

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

— Fisher coming off Achilles surgery.
— Nelson broke a bone in his foot.

— Kelly blew up an elbow.

— Smith hurt his foot. 

The first three missed most of or all of training camp.  Then, Smith got hurt at the start of the regular season.   This, in part, explains 0-3 and 1-4.   The key words being “in part”.    There was much more, but that’s for another day. 

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I removed a few comments in which members were bickering. Let's quit doing that. The playoffs are coming and we want all of you to be part of the discussions/threads.

Damn I missed the bickering, just seeing this thread. I was ready to do this Hungry Homer Simpson GIF- anyway great stuff @EastStreet. You and I still disagree about Frank, I still think he is a good play caller at worse, are there a few better of course. We just lack bigtime WR's for Wentz. I do like Pittman but that is the only guy he trusts. TY can still do it in flashes but he isn't 2018 TY anymore.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

— Fisher coming off Achilles surgery.
— Nelson broke a bone in his foot.

— Kelly blew up an elbow.

— Smith hurt his foot. 

The first three missed most of or all of training camp.  Then, Smith got hurt at the start of the regular season.   This, in part, explains 0-3 and 1-4.   The key words being “in part”.    There was much more, but that’s for another day. 

I still think when healthy we are top 5. The injury bug keeps happening right when the unit gets almost healthy. Our back-ups are even average, they proved that on Christmas. We beat a very good team in Arizona with back up lineman.

Sure you can paint stats in any way. Stats work for both teams. I dont think he is horrible. I dont think he is great either and I think Ballard could have done better. He has three main problems that make me cringe. Mechanics, decision making, and accuracy.

Its been stated over and over here that his mechanics are way off and you can see it when you watch. Constantly throws off his back foot, side arming like he is Mahomes etc.

As far as decision making, he has cleaned up the turnovers and extremely bad decisions since the first 4 games. I think Frank probably had to sit him down and have a stern talk with him. He should have a bunch more INT's from that stretch of games where he basically threw a bunch of balls right at defenders and they dropped them.

His bad decision making has leaked back in to his game in the last month. He constantly misses the wide open check downs. Throws into double triple coverage. That throw last week that was deflected to TY is a perfect example of how luck has been bailing out his bad decisions.

Accuracy is hit or miss it seems. Some games like Ravens and Bucs he was on, others like Pats, Raiders. He was far off and its very evident by the eye test. He seems to throw it high a lot. Im not completely down on him but im not sold either. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Q helped mask AC's inside rush issues, and helped Kelly. Kelly got bullied pretty badly last season with the bull rush, and Smith was beaten often by fast rushers to the outside. Glow was at best a average pass blocker last season. He got beat quite a bit.

It is clear and simple. Rivers was having none of it! Out in 2.5 BAM!

Of course i would throw out the grades this season from the first 4-5 games for obvious reasons. And Lost games in the interim. Though was Pinter's younger, healthier body and play actually a plus? 

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Sure you can paint stats in any way. Stats work for both teams. I dont think he is horrible. I dont think he is great either and I think Ballard could have done better. He has three main problems that make me cringe. Mechanics, decision making, and accuracy.

Its been stated over and over here that his mechanics are way off and you can see it when you watch. Constantly throws off his back foot, side arming like he is Mahomes etc.

As far as decision making, he has cleaned up the turnovers and extremely bad decisions since the first 4 games. I think Frank probably had to sit him down and have a stern talk with him. He should have a bunch more INT's from that stretch of games where he basically threw a bunch of balls right at defenders and they dropped them.

His bad decision making has leaked back in to his game in the last month. He constantly misses the wide open check downs. Throws into double triple coverage. That throw last week that was deflected to TY is a perfect example of how luck has been bailing out his bad decisions.

Accuracy is hit or miss it seems. Some games like Ravens and Bucs he was on, others like Pats, Raiders. He was far off and its very evident by the eye test. He seems to throw it high a lot. Im not completely down on him but im not sold either. 

How was Ballard going to do better?   A top-12/14 QB for a 1 and a 3 is a BARGAIN.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How was Ballard going to do better?   A top-12/14 QB for a 1 and a 3 is a BARGAIN.   

He might be that, I wouldn't give him that yet. Lets see how he performs going forward. Could have had Brady when he left NE two years ago and could have Stafford last year. Stafford has had a bad stretch but he still the far superior QB to Wentz.

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He might be that, I wouldn't give him that yet. Lets see how he performs going forward. Could have had Brady when he left NE two years ago and could have Stafford last year. Stafford has had a bad stretch but he still the far superior QB to Wentz.

You make a fair argument on Brady.   Of course, we don’t know that Brady preferred Indy to Tampa?    

But as to Stafford, we would’ve had to outbid LA.    And the Rams gave up an extra first,  plus a starting QB in Goff.    We didn’t have those kind of resources.   But objectively, I like Stafford more than Wentz, but not by that much.  Most people don’t know this, but Stafford lead’s the NFL in a bad stat — most Pick 6’s given up this year.   Four!   That’s astonishing.  

On balance, factoring in the cost, I’m fine with the Wentz deal, he’s also 4-5 years younger. 

16 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I was hoping for tom , very few colts fans seemed to feel that way though.  there were some media rumors saying he was interested in coming here but they were brief and he might have been more interested in Tampa 

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Damn I missed the bickering, just seeing this thread. I was ready to do this Hungry Homer Simpson GIF

We have some highly knowledgeable folks who just see things differently. It is fine to post your thoughts, opinions, views, etc. but when it gets personal, that is when it is not allowed. (Hey, I prefer game managers to gunslingers. JMO. Most disagree.)

It is not necessary to tell people "you are out of your mind", "you don't know football", or call people names. (I know you don't do that.) All the comments now are fine. 

Let's see what happens after the game. Hopefully everyone will be happy and doing :hug: :grouphug: .

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I like Stafford but is he that much better than Wentz? Serious question. Do you like Kirk Cousins? Cousins has similar career stats as Stafford. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We have some highly knowledgeable folks who just see things differently. It is fine to post your thoughts, opinions, views, etc. but when it gets personal, that is when it is not allowed. (Hey, I prefer game managers to gunslingers. JMO. Most disagree.)

It is not necessary to tell people "you are out of your mind", "you don't know football", or call people names. (I know you don't do that.) All the comments now are fine. 

Let's see what happens after the game. Hopefully everyone will be happy and doing :hug: :grouphug: .

I agree, I just missed the action haha . IMO, you have Gunslingers, Game Managers, and QB's that could do both. The QB's that can do both win SB's. Peyton was more of a game manager in 2015 for Denver, here he was a gunslinger but a smart one :thmup:

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

"You say could've had Brady", where is that proof. He was never coming here lmao . Remember how many people wanted Justin Fields as well from the draft, how did that pan out for Chicago? Jones has had a good year but look who his coach is and we beat them.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"You say could've had Brady", where is that proof. He was never coming here lmao . Remember how many people wanted Justin Fields as well from the draft, how did that pan out for Chicago? Jones has had a good year but look who his coach is and we beat them.

I dont have any proof lol,  but you dont have any proof that he was never coming here either. His team came out and said he had interest in the Colts. Whether that was true or not we will never know.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

And thank you for changing the thread title

Archived