Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne HOF finalist

GoColts8818

I think there’s a case for Reggie, but I don’t know how strong it is compared to the others….   Not only is Johnson an option, but so is Tory Holt.   

There are a lot of WRs waiting.   Right or wrong, fair or unfair, this is the position where things get backlogged and players wait a long time.     I’m hopeful, but as of now, I’m not optimistic.   

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Me too but I my gut says they put Andre Johnson in this year and they tend to put one WR in a year.

Reggie and Andre have similar stats but Reggie has a ring and played in two SBs to Andres 0. I think that will put him slightly above Andre in voting. 

plus Reggie is better in most stats except for career receptions. But he has more yards, TDs and averages than Andre. Not by much but enough. 

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Reggie and Andre have similar stats but Reggie has a ring and played in two SBs to Andres 0. I think that will put him slightly above Andre in voting. 

plus Reggie is better in most stats except for career receptions. But he has more yards, TDs and averages than Andre. Not by much but enough. 

I just hope Reggie doesn’t get the fact he played with Peyton and Marvin held against him.  It shouldn’t, especially with what Reggie did after Peyton and Marvin but you never know.

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I just hope Reggie doesn’t get the fact he played with Peyton and Marvin held against him.  It shouldn’t, especially with what Reggie did after Peyton and Marvin but you never know.

Perhaps. We shall see. It could also play in his favor

40 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reggie will get in on his own merits.

Reggie will get in eventually, maybe even this year.  Holt was a little before my time so I don’t remember much about him besides being on the two Rams teams that went to the SB. 

Tough one between Andre and Reggie.  I think Reggie had a slightly better career but there was a few years Andre was in the discussion for best in the league and I think his best QB was Matt Schaub.  Both equally deserving 

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

Suspect that the order they get in is... 

1. Holt

2. Wayne

3. Johnson (iffy to me that he belongs in, but whatever)

Andre Johnson is a no doubter. He was a star.

Also, can’t believe Steve Smith isn’t on this ballot. To be honest, as much as I love Reggie and I do love Reggie. Smith probably more deserving 

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Me too but I my gut says they put Andre Johnson in this year and they tend to put one WR in a year.

If Marv wasn't a first ballot HOFer, no way is AJ.  

Reggie had a better career than AJ, plain and simple.  He has waited a few years and it would bbe a travesty for AJ to get in over him.

19 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Andre Johnson is a no doubter. He was a star.

Also, can’t believe Steve Smith isn’t on this ballot. To be honest, as much as I love Reggie and I do love Reggie. Smith probably more deserving 

Steve Smith played 2 more years than Reggie and has less TDs and receptions with slightly more receiving yards. Not to mention Reggie has some of the most prolific post-season stats by a WR in NFL history.  In no way is Smith more deserving than Reggie. 

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

Reggie has more career receptions than Andre....

56 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

If Marv wasn't a first ballot HOFer, no way is AJ.  

Reggie had a better career than AJ, plain and simple.  He has waited a few years and it would bbe a travesty for AJ to get in over him.

Steve Smith played 2 more years than Reggie and has less TDs and receptions with slightly more receiving yards. Not to mention Reggie has some of the most prolific post-season stats by a WR in NFL history.  In no way is Smith more deserving than Reggie. 

Reggie has more career receptions than Andre....

Both Andre and Reggie are pretty even but I would take Reggie if I was picking a team. I liked Steve Smith a lot as well but I would take Reggie over him too. 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both Andre and Reggie are pretty even but I would take Reggie if I was picking a team. I liked Steve Smith a lot as well but I would take Reggie over him too. 

Physical talent alone and Andre may be the best of the three when they were in their prime. Smith was the fastest/most explosive. Reggie was the most consistent and had the best hands. Anquan Boldin isn't being talked about in this thread, but he was pretty darn consistent and had more TDs than all these guys.

AJ is just behind Reggie at #11 on receptions and receiving yards list. I know one spot on the all-time list doesn't seem like much, but Mike Chappell or whoever is going to be making the case for Reggie to other voters can say "Reggie is top 10 all-time in 2 categories and top 25 in receiving TDs. " None of the other guys can have the same claims made about them. On top of that, Reggie is a top 5 post-season WR of all-time and had a big TD in a super bowl game which he got a ring in. None of the other guys have that. 

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Physical talent alone and Andre may be the best of the three when they were in their prime. Smith was the fastest/most explosive. Reggie was the most consistent and had the best hands. Anquan Boldin isn't being talked about in this thread, but he was pretty darn consistent and had more TDs than all these guys.

AJ is just behind Reggie at #11 on receptions and receiving yards list. I know one spot on the all-time list doesn't seem like much, but Mike Chappell or whoever is going to be making the case for Reggie to other voters can say "Reggie is top 10 all-time in 2 categories and top 25 in receiving TDs. " None of the other guys can have the same claims made about them. On top of that, Reggie is a top 5 post-season WR of all-time and had a big TD in a super bowl game which he got a ring in. None of the other guys have that. 

Another thing Chapel can bring up is, Reggie accomplished a lot of stats despite playing with Marvin for 8 years. Imagine if Reggie had been #1 option his whole career? His stats would be scary great.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think if Steve Smith had been on a SB winning team he would be in. Carolina was close and he was great there. What will probably get Holt in is he was on a SB winning team with the 99 Rams. 

Reggie had more Catches, Yards, and TD's than what Holt or Johnson had + Reggie was a SB winning team in 2006.

Holt's stats are tricky because he played 3 less years than Reggie or AJ and 5 less than Smith.  That said, he made a 1st team allpro, 7 pro bowls (1 more than Reggie), and has a SB Ring.. he was also a big part of the 'greatest show on turf,' one of the most famous offenses in NFL history. 

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Holt's stats are tricky because he played 3 less years than Reggie or AJ and 5 less than Smith.  That said, he made a 1st team allpro, 7 pro bowls (1 more than Reggie), and has a SB Ring.. he was also a big part of the 'greatest show on turf,' one of the most famous offenses in NFL history. 

Yeah I think Holt gets in, he and Reggie both did make 1st team all-pro once, but I believe Reggie would've made more had he been the #1 option his whole career. Marvin made 3 1st team all-pro (2 of them was when Reggie was on the team). The league wasn't going to have 2 players on the same team make 1st team.

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I think Holt gets in, he and Reggie both did make 1st team all-pro once, but I believe Reggie would've made more had he been the #1 option his whole career. Marvin made 3 1st team all-pro (2 of them was when Reggie was on the team). The league wasn't going to have 2 players on the same team make 1st team.

Well Reggie took 4 or 5 years to really get going in the NFL and until Marv got hurt, I think it was pretty clear that Reggie was #2 to Marv. When Marv was 1st team all-pro in 2002 he led NFL with a then record 143 receptions, led NFL in yards with 1722 and had 12 TDs compared to Reggie 49 receptions, 716 yards and 4 TDs.. so not that the NFL wouldn't put 2 players on same team as all-pros, but Reggie wasn't close to warranting being selected. In 2006, Marv had 95 receptions, 12 tds, and 1366 yards to Reggie 86, 9 tds and 1310. Both were probowlers and with <10 tds and <90 receptions Reggie probably wasn't deserving of first-team all-pro. 

I can understand your argument, and I don't disagree. That said, I think there could be an argument that Reggie needed Marv to learn from and to grow into an NFL WR.

That said, Reggie produced enough to warrant being a HOFer and was very good without Marv and perhaps his most impressive season was without Peyton when he showed his excellence as a player and teammate with a rookie qb in Luck.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Another thing Chapel can bring up is, Reggie accomplished a lot of stats despite playing with Marvin for 8 years. Imagine if Reggie had been #1 option his whole career? His stats would be scary great.

Reggie wasn't a full-time starter his first 2 years. Not just behind Marvin, but he struggled to be a legit #2/3 WR until his 3rd year. In fact, he was being talked about as a bust of a 1st round pick really until after his 4th year..

I'm not buying this argument, because he wasn't even a sure fire #2 WR for 2 seasons with Marvin on team.  Marv and many other first round picks who have HOF caliber careers start out as #1 from day 1.  Without Marv taking pressure off Reggie early in his career he may well have truly been a bust or been cut/traded like Dorsett. 

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Reggie wasn't a full-time starter his first 2 years. Not just behind Marvin, but he struggled to be a legit #2/3 WR until his 3rd year. In fact, he was being talked about as a bust of a 1st round pick really until after his 4th year..

I'm not buying this argument, because he wasn't even a sure fire #2 WR for 2 seasons with Marvin on team.  Marv and many other first round picks who have HOF caliber careers start out as #1 from day 1.  Without Marv taking pressure off Reggie early in his career he may well have truly been a bust or been cut/traded like Dorsett. 

It doesn't matter how you start. It's how you finish

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't matter how you start. It's how you finish

Not disagreeing with that. My reply was based on a comment which was seemingly saying Reggie would've been an all-pro more often if it wasn't for Marvin and if Reggie was a #1 his whole career. My point was that it wouldn't have mattered, as Reggie wouldn't have been a #1 his whole career even if Marv wasn't there. He wasn't even a full-time #2 early in his career. 

Receiver is the most backed-up position for induction to the Hall.  Generally it takes a couple extra looks even for the most deserving candidates.  He'll get in but bets are off as to whether it's this year.

If I had to put money on anyone this year it would be Holt.  He had his first look last time around and he might also have to wait another year.  

17 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Receiver is the most backed-up position for induction to the Hall.  Generally it takes a couple extra looks even for the most deserving candidates.  He'll get in but bets are off as to whether it's this year.

If I had to put money on anyone this year it would be Holt.  He had his first look last time around and he might also have to wait another year.  

This is Holts 3rd year as a finalist.   It's also Reggies 3rd year. 

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This is Holts 3rd year as a finalist.   It's also Reggies 3rd year. 

Whoops on the count.  Had different counts for both but should have checked.

Fact remains WR is a tough position to get in there as, though.  So hopeful but we'll see.

Love Reggie. Hope he gets in.

But give Andre Johnson Manning and Luck and he vastly outproduces Reggie. Johnson’s stats are not much worse than Reggie’s, and the guy played with putrid QBs.

Don’t be a blind fanboy.

26 minutes ago, James said:

Love Reggie. Hope he gets in.

But give Andre Johnson Manning and Luck and he vastly outproduces Reggie. Johnson’s stats are not much worse than Reggie’s, and the guy played with putrid QBs.

Don’t be a blind fanboy.

Why does everyone just dismiss that Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young then? 99% of people say he is the GOAT. That is the argument you are using.

19 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Not disagreeing with that. My reply was based on a comment which was seemingly saying Reggie would've been an all-pro more often if it wasn't for Marvin and if Reggie was a #1 his whole career. My point was that it wouldn't have mattered, as Reggie wouldn't have been a #1 his whole career even if Marv wasn't there. He wasn't even a full-time #2 early in his career. 

You didn't get my point, nobody is usually a #1 in their rookie season. What I was saying was even by the time Reggie got great, Marvin was still a #1 as in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. Look at how great Reggie was without Marvin in 2009, 2010, and 2012. Marvin IMO was a top 5 WR of all-time so Reggie was never looked at as a #1 until around 2007. In 2007 when Marvin missed 11 games, Reggie put up insane numbers.

Also Irsay/Polian chose Reggie over Edge, both their contracts were up after 2005. Irsay/Polian signed Reggie to a long term contract and let Edge go. That in itself says how great Reggie was because Edge was great and a Hall of Famer.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't get my point, nobody is usually a #1 in their rookie season. What I was saying was even by the time Reggie got great, Marvin was still a #1 as in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. Look at how great Reggie was without Marvin in 2009, 2010, and 2012. Marvin IMO was a top 5 WR of all-time so Reggie was never looked at as a #1 until around 2007. In 2007 when Marvin missed 11 games, Reggie put up insane numbers.

Also Irsay/Polian chose Reggie over Edge, both their contracts were up after 2005. Irsay/Polian signed Reggie to a long term contract and let Edge go. That in itself says how great Reggie was because Edge was great and a Hall of Famer.

WR is one of the, if not the, easiest positions to transition to in the NFL. Most first round draft picks at WR play a significant role in the offense they were drafted into immediately, especially those who go onto HOF careers. Even if they are not the #1, like many are, they at least put up solid #2 stats and are regulars in the starting lineup. Reggie wasn't a full-time starter until 2003, and unlike you, I don't think he was 'great' then with 68 receptions and a solid,  but not spectacular year for a #2 WR in a prolific passing offense. Maybe if Reggie wasn't 2nd fiddle to Marv in 2005-6 he could have maybe (a long shot guess) been an all-pro?

In 2007, with Marvin and Dallas Clark hurt,, Reggie had 104 receptions and 10 tds.. solid numbers but not 'insane ' by any means (Marv had 8 straight seasons with 10+ TDs).

I take from your post that Reggie was somehow hindered by being with Marv. I don't see it that way. Reggie struggled to outshine Jerome Pathon and Terence Wilkins as a rookie and Qadry Ismail in year 2. At that point he was being talked about as a bust of a 1st round pick. My guess is, if Reggie wasn't given the luxury of being able to stink to start out his career because of Marv, he may have taken a worse career path. 

In terms of Irsay choosing Reggie over Edge, I'm not sure it's that simple. Edge was just a couple seasons away from a devastating knee injury which at the time was not as common as it is today for players to bounce back from and resume a normal career. The passing rules in the NFL changed, and we showed we could plug in an undrafted rookie and have a 1000 yard rusher. We had quite a bit of big names and contracts on the team. Edge got a $7.5 mil/year deal with AZ. We gave Reggie a $6.5 mil/year deal which was a bargain (Deon Branch also signed a 6 year 39 mil contract that year).

I'm not disagreeing that Reggie is a HOFer. He is. I just think he benefitted more from being Marv's teammate than he suffered from it. And I think it is a major stretch to assume he would have been an all-pro numerous more times if it wasn't for Marvin. 

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

WR is one of the, if not the, easiest positions to transition to in the NFL. Most first round draft picks at WR play a significant role in the offense they were drafted into immediately, especially those who go onto HOF careers. Even if they are not the #1, like many are, they at least put up solid #2 stats and are regulars in the starting lineup. Reggie wasn't a full-time starter until 2003, and unlike you, I don't think he was 'great' then with 68 receptions and a solid,  but not spectacular year for a #2 WR in a prolific passing offense. Maybe if Reggie wasn't 2nd fiddle to Marv in 2005-6 he could have maybe (a long shot guess) been an all-pro?

In 2007, with Marvin and Dallas Clark hurt,, Reggie had 104 receptions and 10 tds.. solid numbers but not 'insane ' by any means (Marv had 8 straight seasons with 10+ TDs).

I take from your post that Reggie was somehow hindered by being with Marv. I don't see it that way. Reggie struggled to outshine Jerome Pathon and Terence Wilkins as a rookie and Qadry Ismail in year 2. At that point he was being talked about as a bust of a 1st round pick. My guess is, if Reggie wasn't given the luxury of being able to stink to start out his career because of Marv, he may have taken a worse career path. 

In terms of Irsay choosing Reggie over Edge, I'm not sure it's that simple. Edge was just a couple seasons away from a devastating knee injury which at the time was not as common as it is today for players to bounce back from and resume a normal career. The passing rules in the NFL changed, and we showed we could plug in an undrafted rookie and have a 1000 yard rusher. We had quite a bit of big names and contracts on the team. Edge got a $7.5 mil/year deal with AZ. We gave Reggie a $6.5 mil/year deal which was a bargain (Deon Branch also signed a 6 year 39 mil contract that year).

I'm not disagreeing that Reggie is a HOFer. He is. I just think he benefitted more from being Marv's teammate than he suffered from it. And I think it is a major stretch to assume he would have been an all-pro numerous more times if it wasn't for Marvin. 

You left out that he also had 1510 yards in 2007 to go along with 10 TD's and 104 catches, those are all-pro stats. Anyway I will say this I doubt he gets in this year, if he were a Steeler or Cowboy he would get in lmao . Lynn Swann's stats were average but because he made 2 incredible catches = 1 in SB 10 and the other SB 13 that is all the voters remember because the Steelers won both those SB's over the Cowboys. I watched Lynn Swann play and he isn't better than Reggie either.

Archived