Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne HOF finalist

GoColts8818

On 1/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why does everyone just dismiss that Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young then? 99% of people say he is the GOAT. That is the argument you are using.

So?

If Jerry played with Matt Schaub for the majority of his career he probably wouldn’t be (near) consensus GOAT WR.

And if Randy Moss had Brady for the majority of his career he likely could have been the GOAT WR.

You absolutely have to take context into consideration.

Andre Johnson could and likely would have better statistical output than Wayne if he had had the QBs Wayne had.

Reggie is great, but IMO Andre Johnson was better context taken into consideration. 

39 minutes ago, James said:

So?

If Jerry played with Matt Schaub for the majority of his career he probably wouldn’t be (near) consensus GOAT WR.

And if Randy Moss had Brady for the majority of his career he likely could have been the GOAT WR.

You absolutely have to take context into consideration.

Andre Johnson could and likely would have better statistical output than Wayne if he had had the QBs Wayne had.

Reggie is great, but IMO Andre Johnson was better context taken into consideration. 

I get your point but you are playing what if's. If Michael Jordan wouldn't have had Scottie Pippen as his Robin he would've never won 6 Championships. If LeBron stayed in Cleveland he probably would've won 1, maybe 2 titles instead of teaming with Wade, Bosh, and Allen. You can't play what if's. You have to go by what the player has accomplished in real time that is proven. People always tell me Barry Sanders is better than Emmitt Smith (had Barry had his Line he could've done the same thing) - no he wasn't, Emmitt won more, had more yards, more TD's, more receiving yards and so on.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:00 PM, CurBeatElite said:

Not disagreeing with that. My reply was based on a comment which was seemingly saying Reggie would've been an all-pro more often if it wasn't for Marvin and if Reggie was a #1 his whole career. My point was that it wouldn't have mattered, as Reggie wouldn't have been a #1 his whole career even if Marv wasn't there. He wasn't even a full-time #2 early in his career. 

If there were no Marvin, Manning would have focused on Reggie with reps in the off season. His progress and production surely would have been considerably different. Reggie had all the tools to be a #1 when he came into the NFL.
He was no Anthony Gonzalez!

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If there were no Marvin, Manning would have focused on Reggie with reps in the off season. His progress and production surely would have been considerably different. Reggie had all the tools to be a #1 when he came into the NFL.
 But, without the huge catch # Reggie had with Luck grossly over targeting him his last big year would he ever make it with less than 1000 catches?

Your 1st paragraph nailed it. That was my point.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

He was no Anthony Gonzalez!

Manning spread the ball out among receivers as good or better than any QB I've ever seen (and probably in NFL history).  To suggest Manning gave Reggie a pass on preparation (especially early in his career) is ludicrous.  

Reggie struggled with drops in rookie training camp.  I don't know what else was going on... but he didn't regularly crack the starting lineup until his 3rd year in the league.  That is rare (and typically not good) for a first round pick.  By starting lineup, I don't mean over Marvin.  I mean he wasn't our regular #2 (sometimes not #3) his first two years.  And it wasn't like we had a Brandon Stokely or even an Austin Collie on our roster then, he was struggling to outcompete Jerome Pathon, Terence Wilkins and Qadry (The Missile, we're not even talking about The Rocket) Ishmail.  

If Reggie had all the tools to be a #1 when he came into the NFL, he would have at least consistently been our #2 WR as a rookie and 2nd year player.  And there is absolutely no way that Peyton just said "hey rookie, I'm not going to need you to contribute in this offense until your 3rd or 4th year, so why don't you just relax and avoid taking reps with me." 

Archived