Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Conundrum in Indy

BProland85

I will preface this by saying I truly hope Wentz comes back from this surgery fully 100% healthy with no limitations and stays healthy "knock on wood" going into the future, as I believe he has all the ability in the world to be a top 10 QB once again with Reich as his HC. Injuries were obviously my main concern with him. With that being said, this is the one reason I would've rather gone the young rookie route before the trade happened.

Everyone will always say hindsight is always 20/20, but I adamantly stated on this board before the Wentz trade went down that I most preferred going young and getting one of these potential stud QBs in the draft. You can check me on that if you like. I fully expected one of Fields or Lance to drop to the lower top 10 range which is what happened with Fields. I would have been fine with either, although I did prefer Lance. Well now Wentz is again hurt which diminishes any chemistry he could have had with his WRs going into the season, while Justin Fields is apparently tearing it up in training camp for Chicago.

Yes that would have not allowed us to get Kwity Paye, but I also adamantly wanted us to sign DE Carl Lawson in free agency with the saved money at QB going with a rookie instead of Wentz.

I truly hope I am wrong, but I hope this potential missed opportunity by Ballard to go the young talented rookie doesn't come back to bite us in the rear end, and cause our carousel  at QB to continue. 

I'm not that concerned actually, as I think Wentz will be ready to roll game 1. Obviously there are always concerns no matter who the starter is that he'll stay healthy all year. A rookie QB isn't the answer either, not one has won a SB in the history of the game, I prefer a vet with the current roster being within a game of the SB last year. Now our backup situation is a huge question mark but I think Eason or Ellinger are more then capable but time will tell I suppose. Would be nice to have a cheap vet option though.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, BProland85 said:

I will preface this by saying I truly hope Wentz comes back from this surgery fully 100% healthy with no limitations and stays healthy "knock on wood" going into the future, as I believe he has all the ability in the world to be a top 10 QB once again with Reich as his HC. Injuries were obviously my main concern with him. With that being said, this is the one reason I would've rather gone the young rookie route before the trade happened.

Everyone will always say hindsight is always 20/20, but I adamantly stated on this board before the Wentz trade went down that I most preferred going young and getting one of these potential stud QBs in the draft. You can check me on that if you like. I fully expected one of Fields or Lance to drop to the lower top 10 range which is what happened with Fields. I would have been fine with either, although I did prefer Lance. Well now Wentz is again hurt which diminishes any chemistry he could have had with his WRs going into the season, while Justin Fields is apparently tearing it up in training camp for Chicago.

Yes that would have not allowed us to get Kwity Paye, but I also adamantly wanted us to sign DE Carl Lawson in free agency with the saved money at QB going with a rookie instead of Wentz.

I truly hope I am wrong, but I hope this potential missed opportunity by Ballard to go the young talented rookie doesn't come back to bite us in the rear end, and cause our carousel  at QB to continue. 

I wouldn’t start declaring victory quite yet.  I’m not convinced that Wentz is gonna miss any games.  Not convinced Wentz will have a lesser rest-of-his-career than any QB in this draft not named Lawrence or Wilson either.  Let’s just see how this plays out before we go to the I-told ya-sos…

14 minutes ago, Archer said:

I wouldn’t start declaring victory quite yet.  I’m not convinced that Wentz is gonna miss any games.  Not convinced Wentz will have a lesser rest-of-his-career than any QB in this draft not named Lawrence or Wilson either.  Let’s just see how this plays out before we go to the I-told ya-sos…

No kidding.

This is just fear of the unknown, heightened by the recent spate of bad news…with a heaping tablespoon of lingering QB injury PTSD mixed in.

The Wentz trade may or may not work out.  I have my own set of doubts about it, and those doubts are neither stronger or weaker after this past week.

Let’s at least get him his chance on the field before we start going the full Chicken Little.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I don't think Trey Lance or Justin Fields amounting to anything.  Not sure why people think just because you draft someone high they are a stud or a franchise QB.  And it would have likely cost two #1s and one or two 2s.  Jacob Eason has as much chance of being a great NFL QB as they do.  that is my opinion and lets see how it plays out.  Eason may never play much because if Wentz.  But my point is he has as much natural talent as Justin Fields. He is not as mobile, but he has a better arm and I would argue accuracy.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:19 PM, lennymoore24 said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I don't think Trey Lance or Justin Fields amounting to anything.  Not sure why people think just because you draft someone high they are a stud or a franchise QB.  And it would have likely cost two #1s and one or two 2s.  Jacob Eason has as much chance of being a great NFL QB as they do.  that is my opinion and lets see how it plays out.  Eason may never play much because if Wentz.  But my point is he has as much natural talent as Justin Fields. He is not as mobile, but he has a better arm and I would argue accuracy.

While I have reservations about both guys you list, both had far better college careers, and clearer upside, than Eason. So I disagree on chances. I wouldn't have given up the farm for either of those guys either, but if I had my choice between Eason, Lance, and Fields, I'd take Lance, Fields, and Eason, in that order. Certainly could work out different long term, but that's what I think at this point.

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Perhaps a bit premature. None of these players have played a preseason game yet...let alone a real game.  Unless there is an obvious reason I’m going to wait a few months to make a judgment.  

I'm almost in the same boat.   I give the edge to Eason just because he has a year on the team under his belt.   

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm almost in the same boat.   I give the edge to Eason just because he has a year on the team under his belt.   

I think they all the young QBs being discussed will have mediocre careers. The Colts took the best avenue available and I’m hopeful it works out

I think the Colts could be in trouble here right out of the gate. I'm hoping that isn't the case.

The Ellingher showing flashes to me is nothing more than an upstart rookie "going for it". Speculation, not fact. My Long term opinion is that he will not be the answer unless he turns out to be a Brady-esque player. What his "turning heads" really is to me, is a pure knock on Eason. Say what you will but I always said Eason was a stupid pick from the jump. Call it a gut feeling but Eason just isn't that good consistently enough to matter and I think that it is becoming more evident as each day passes. 

Either way, neither of these guys will matter eventually, imo. If Wentz cannot get out of this injury/mental funk that seems to be plaguing him at the moment then it will set Indy back yet again and we will be in for a long year. If Wentz can overcome this recent setback and show mental strength once returned for a consistent duration, then the Colts will be fine.

There was a period in-between Bert Jones and Peyton Manning where the Colts as an organization went through countless QB's, all misses and it led to years of terrible teams.... God help us if history is repeating itself here.

The old-timers on here might see the pattern Johnny U and Bert Jones... Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck

could be nothing, but then again....

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Carl who?
  BP, the only reason to relive your glorious past ideas, IMO, is so that you Can say i told you so.
 Sorry you don't think Kwity, Turay, Banogu, and Obedeyingo can't live up to Lewis. We have people hired that place our bets on the WHOLE roster, not just nit picking what could be's, what might have beens. You assume Lawson would have chosen US. You assume there was a trade partner to move up.  lol That is garbage.
 The population was pretty satisfied with their idea to bridge with Rivers.
He was certainly better than i expected once he got going. And Frank is even happier to have his younger, stronger armed Wentz, knowing what HE knows, i believe.
 Oh but i hope everything Always goes our way too! Except it's FOOTBALL!
 A game of attrition on the human body. Dang it.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think the Colts could be in trouble here right out of the gate. I'm hoping that isn't the case.

The Ellingher showing flashes to me is nothing more than an upstart rookie "going for it". Speculation, not fact. My Long term opinion is that he will not be the answer unless he turns out to be a Brady-esque player. What his "turning heads" really is to me, is a pure knock on Eason. Say what you will but I always said Eason was a stupid pick from the jump. Call it a gut feeling but Eason just isn't that good consistently enough to matter and I think that it is becoming more evident as each day passes. 

Either way, neither of these guys will matter eventually, imo. If Wentz cannot get out of this injury/mental funk that seems to be plaguing him at the moment then it will set Indy back yet again and we will be in for a long year. If Wentz can overcome this recent setback and show mental strength once returned for a consistent duration, then the Colts will be fine.

There was a period in-between Bert Jones and Peyton Manning where the Colts as an organization went through countless QB's, all misses and it led to years of terrible teams.... God help us if history is repeating itself here.

The old-timers on here might see the pattern Johnny U and Bert Jones... Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck

could be nothing, but then again....

Gee, most understood we were in trouble right out of the gate WITH WENTZ!
You know, with the toughest first 5 games in the league thingy! And all the young players needing to step it up. That kinda stuff.
 LMAO YOU think Eason is not consistent enough so he is toast.
 YOU, who have ZERO, Nothing to base it on. You have No Idea what a year behind/with Rivers and a professonal coaching staff, a year of hard work mentally in the playbook, a year talking with Frank has done for his game.
 We had a soft schedule to start last season and Rivers could have been better. He got better.
 Why would Anyone with a Clue think Wentz, or certainly Eason would play as good or better than Rivers did the first 5 games of the season. 
 Of course it is going to be tuff. 
 And i like it that some that know described Eason as accurate, and that he throws hard, but also shows some touch. And that his ball comes out high so they can really track it well. That is good stuff! 

I guess I dont see a controversy

There is competition, but......... Its for a backup role

Just let the better player from what is seen in preseason take the starter snaps in the 1-4 games  (if that many are needed)

If Eason is better AWESOME

if Sam E. is better AWESOME

Its worth a note that Eason seemed to play better when Sam E. got some starter snaps.....

We will be ok

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, most understood we were in trouble right out of the gate WITH WENTZ!
You know, with the toughest first 5 games in the league thingy! And all the young players needing to step it up. That kinda stuff.
 LMAO YOU think Eason is not consistent enough so he is toast.
 YOU, who have ZERO, Nothing to base it on. You have No Idea what a year behind/with Rivers and a professonal coaching staff, a year of hard work mentally in the playbook, a year talking with Frank has done for his game.
 We had a soft schedule to start last season and Rivers could have been better. He got better.
 Why would Anyone with a Clue think Wentz, or certainly Eason would play as good or better than Rivers did the first 5 games of the season. 
 Of course it is going to be tuff. 
 And i like it that some that know described Eason as accurate, and that he throws hard, but also shows some touch. And that his ball comes out high so they can really track it well. That is good stuff! 

in my original comments I neglected to say that I believe he will turn out to not be consistent over time. I'm not an Eason supporter. Of course it has nothing to do with a current base of concrete fact, I stated it was my gut feeling. I could end up totally wrong, I just don't believe I will be regarding either of these two current QB's on the roster named Eason and Ellingher.

The week 1 starter may be Eason or it may be Wentz (Ellingher has a long shot).  

Which is the better option?

Wentz starting on a new team with no training camp or preseason action.  Maybe 2-3 practices.

Eason starting.  Been on the team for over a year.  No preseason last year but a full training camp and preseason this year.  

I'm leaning Wentz.  If it is Wentz, it would show that Reich thinks he is is head and shoulders better than Eason.

I posted this in another thread. imo if Wentz's foot hinders his mobility even slightly the rest of the season, I think Sam is a better fit as he could provide a similar role that we had with Jacoby. Eason behind Rivers does not makes sense to me. But Jacoby and Sam does because they can be brought in to get that yard or two on the ground if needed utilizing their mobility as a QB.  Now with  Sam getting starter reps in practice, it seems Reich and TPTB may not be confident in Wentz's mobility going forward. Just a thought to ponder on.

Archived