Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cease Fire Please (You Know Who You Are)

Nadine

I know I personally have encountered some posts that I thought were totally bogus and most times I would scroll past it. In life a person realizes that you can't please everyone and everyone isn't going to agree on the same thing. Sometimes you have to think that there is some people out there who just live to argue and just want to say things to rile people up. I just think that everyone just has to take a deep breath and post rationally, I mean most of us are adults and know how to handle ourselves.

I would like to clone you

You are absolutely correct that most issues could be avoided by just ignoring and choosing not to jump into debates on topics that clearly have no where to go

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the jobs the mods do, but the “remember the rules” and “be nice to everyone threads” seem to get people more stirred up than the posts they are aimed at stopping.

I agree that at a certain point the arguments derail the topic of the thread and the mods need to step in and get it back on topic/lock it etc. Sure there is the occasional post that goes way too far and that person deserves a suspension; but some people are just way too sensitive and need to realize this is just a forum and there is an ignore feature available to them.

The mods need to quit worrying so much about someone getting their feelings hurt. I participate in several forums and most function quite well without this level of coddling. It sometimes seems like the mods here are trying to create this “everyone’s opinion is equally valid” & “everyone gets a trophy” culture which just creates more whiners.

Not at all. All we would like to do is eliminate the mind-numbingly pointless debates such as

should the colts have released peyton?

Was it fair?

who was wrong?

Who's a real fan?

If you wore a Luck jersey, exactly how wrong was that?

etc... etc....ect......

People have opinions on these things that may or may not be based in fact. Nonetheless they are passionate about their position and some seem to be on a mission from God to convert the rest or at least expose the error of our ways

I would like to clone you

You are absolutely correct that most issues could be avoided by just ignoring and choosing not to jump into debates on topics that clearly have no where to go

I think one me is enough. I understand what you are saying but I am not sure if the world could handle 2 or more of me.

I just hope that we can all walk the tight rope of respectful dialog Vs. well written rules & regulations that are easy to follow & make sense to everyone on Colts Forum.

I am sorry if our rules are not up to your standards.

If you have a question please ask

Our general rule of thumb here is 'don't be a jerk'

That should be easy for people to follow.

Yes this is true.

I'm a fan of sarcasm and wit and I do not want to remove it from the board at all. My favorite posters are often sarcastic

What I am referring to are the verbal brawls between site members that in excruciating detail argue some point of the Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning topic derailing threads with their personal argument to the point well past anyone wanting to read the thread any further.

The whole manning/luck thing tends to degenerate into something rather nasty (even if it technically stays within the rules

That is what I mean by nobody is going to change their mind

we have this sort of thing popping up in multiple threads. It's not interesting or funny. It does not inspire people to discuss.

Main Entry: belabor Part of Speech: verb Definition: dwell on Synonyms: beat a dead horse , go on about, hammerhome, overwork, pound, rehash, repeat

I am so sorry for my recent behavior Maureen.

You see, I've had a really hard week. The logo from my favorite Colts mug fell off, I can't find it, and now I'm struggling to determine what omen that conveys. :)

Thanks for everything you do.

I have noticed a new interesting trend. Since i have been actively posting on Colts boards since they came into existence, I have seen patterns. I tried to add the posts up in my mind and I know I have wasted my life on well over 50K. In that time I think I have seen it all. We are all individuals who come here for similar reasons, and different reasons. One of the many distinctions is those who come here to find others who they can talk about their team with. This is by far the most common group of folks who post. In there as well are those who come here in their mind to join in the talk, but who define their existence correcting others for their incorrect stance. Similar to that are those who use correction as a method of defense. I have put on this hat many times. Continuous jabs against any part of the team I love where it exceeds opinion and morphs into negative repetition, will get a response from me. My intent is to slow down the negative posting that can divide the forum base. Even though it is touted as someones right to their opinion, if it is repeated enough, it morphs from opinion into something else. If I hit a friend in the shoulder during a conversation, they would initially take it as a gesture of common ground or friendship. If I kept doing it, they would eventually say, "Hey...whats up? Knock it off!" The same irritation happens where negative jabs against any part of the team accumulate in the name of opinion.

The new trend I have seen come about...and it has really formed since mega boards have formed (tens of thousands of posters). There are those who are relatively benign until a moderator posts a reminder of forum rules and behavior. Then they get all constitutionish and start defending the right to opinion. What was earlier a volatile thread with differing opinions, now has a third party bringing negativity and the discussion needs to be shut down more often than not.

So, in a very real effort to NOT have this post become a launching point for anyone's agenda, I would quietly suggest that we not try to question mods who are in the middle of doing their challenging tasks of keeping this place vibrant and enjoyable for the majority. They can't please everyone. It is impossible. There are those who would never want a single negative post, and there are those who want the place to me a virtual mosh pit. Sorry...they are both outside the bell curve. It is my opinion that it is about serving the majority. They do an excellent job of that, I might add.

I am sorry if our rules are not up to your standards.

If you have a question please ask

Our general rule of thumb here is 'don't be a jerk'

That should be easy for people to follow.

I do respect what you & all your moderators do Maureen. My primary objective is not to be a thorn in anyone's side. Maureen, you do an excellent job with the resources at your disposal. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to individually address our concerns & reservations. It shows that you care about fluid communication, cooperation, & collaboration among your staff & all of Colts Nation Faithful that use this Forum website every single day.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - discussing moderation

I agree with both moderators. PG said something that I think is key: "It helps to take a step back and look at things from another point of view and that is not easy to do." If everyone is wanting to enjoy debating and hashing out topics and have peace and all that jazz, then why have baited comments. Why make multiple veiled comments? As my Momma always taught me--do and say unto others that you would have them do unto you. Point blank, end of story. It will also help if everyone will remember that most (if not all) everyone is not out to get you, and you will have difference of opinions. But as my Dad always says--opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. Be respectful of others views and opinions, politely respond, and please leave it at that. Please, I say again, please do not bait others--it tears down what we have here. Remember, we all have one very big thing in common: WE ALL LOVE THE COLTS. I try to think my posts through, and honestly I try to be respectful. Some have baited me, but I do believe that I have done ok with my responses. Let's debate, let's think critically, and let's be the adults we all should be. If we do that, then we will be ok. :yay: :highfive: :dance::grouphug:

I love talking :coltslogo: and I love talking :fb: football :fb: . SO, let's get to it!

:coltshorse:

I think sometimes those not as knowledgeable about the X's and O's of football do not understand when someone is 'baiting the hook.' It takes me a millisecond to see what they are doing and often I see the 'baiters' getting off Scott-free. That is why I got a 24 hour suspension. I try to ignore, and I am getting better at it. Sometime the baiters should be shut down....some seem to like picking on the less knowledgeable fan and even enjoy picking on women. That too has to stop. Nothing upsets me more.

I think sometimes those not as knowledgeable about the X's and O's of football do not understand when someone is 'baiting the hook.' It takes me a millisecond to see what they are doing and often I see the 'baiters' getting off Scott-free. That is why I got a 24 hour suspension. I try to ignore, and I am getting better at it. Sometime the baiters should be shut down....some seem to like picking on the less knowledgeable fan and even enjoy picking on women. That too has to stop. Nothing upsets me more.

I completetly agree. That was part of what I was trying to say, but did not say. Although, I know it is not right to retaliate it sometimes cannot be helped. The baiters with their veiled comments and such seem to keep walking...the baiters are the real problem causers if you ask me.

But, as I have said, I will continue to try to respond to these baiters in a polite and respectful manner (even if they do not), or I will just altogether ignore them...but I will say, there are times when the cannot be ignored.

I go back to this: if everyone, including the baiters, would behave as an adult and not as someone with an agenda, then our fearless Mods wouldnt have to create threads such as this...oh if only the world was a perfect place... .... ... :sigh:

I completetly agree. That was part of what I was trying to say, but did not say. Although, I know it is not right to retaliate it sometimes cannot be helped. The baiters with their veiled comments and such seem to keep walking...the baiters are the real problem causers if you ask me.

But, as I have said, I will continue to try to respond to these baiters in a polite and respectful manner (even if they do not), or I will just altogether ignore them...but I will say, there are times when the cannot be ignored.

I go back to this: if everyone, including the baiters, would behave as an adult and not as someone with an agenda, then our fearless Mods wouldnt have to create threads such as this...oh if only the world was a perfect place... .... ... :sigh:

I agree, and I like to give someone the opportunity to say what they feel. I have not ignored individual posters yet. I figure some people get cranky on a bad day or whatever. Some seem cranky or all knowing all of the time. That is a problem too.

My intent is to slow down the negative posting that can divide the forum base. Even though it is touted as someones right to their opinion, if it is repeated enough, it morphs from opinion into something else. If I hit a friend in the shoulder during a conversation, they would initially take it as a gesture of common ground or friendship. If I kept doing it, they would eventually say, "Hey...whats up? Knock it off!" The same irritation happens where negative jabs against any part of the team accumulate in the name of opinion.

This is exactly what we are talking about. Thanks for the visual. It's spot on

Well, sometimes they have had consequences and you just don't know it

sometimes we don't think it crosses the baiting line

That's why we ask people to use ignore and report

Well, sometimes they have had consequences and you just don't know it

sometimes we don't think it crosses the baiting line

That's why we ask people to use ignore and report

Maureen, I'm sorry I didn't realize.

Truly, I try to not create problems on here b/c I love coming here to talk football. That is what I will continue to do. Hopefully everyone else will do the same.

And I do think you guys do a good job of trying to keep the peace, so thank you for that. :applause:

Maureen, I'm sorry I didn't realize.

Truly, I try to not create problems on here b/c I love coming here to talk football. That is what I will continue to do. Hopefully everyone else will do the same.

And I do think you guys do a good job of trying to keep the peace, so thank you for that. :applause:

No problem, I didn't mean to sound defensive or anything

Then again maybe I am defensive about this because people tell us all the time that they could do our job easily. But it is not as easy as it looks. We have a great group of volunteers here who put their heart and soul into keeping our vibe the way we want it.

Anyway, I know you didn't mean anything. I just took it as an opportunity to let people know that we do take action

Not at all. All we would like to do is eliminate the mind-numbingly pointless debates such as

should the colts have released peyton?

Was it fair?

who was wrong?

Who's a real fan?

If you wore a Luck jersey, exactly how wrong was that?

etc... etc....ect......

People have opinions on these things that may or may not be based in fact. Nonetheless they are passionate about their position and some seem to be on a mission from God to convert the rest or at least expose the error of our ways

Oh, how I miss the Manning/Brady debates.

Those were the good ol' days. :)

Oh, how I miss the Manning/Brady debates.

Those were the good ol' days. :)

OH MY GOSH YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I aint never thought i'd have to fight in my own house!

Maybe we need emoticons for this?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - off topic and baiting
Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - off topic and baiting

Brady > Manning

:)

your avatar is gonna look silly come April 26th. why not photoshop an Aaron Rogers avatar wearing Browns gear? sounds about right.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - Off Topic Personal Disagreement
Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - Off Topic Personal Disagreement

your avatar is gonna look silly come April 26th. why not photoshop an Aaron Rogers avatar wearing Browns gear? sounds about right.

I know it was very, very unlikely he was not drafted #1

Didn't realize Aaron Rodgers was in the draft this year. Is Manning in the draft as well?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - off topic

I know it was very, very unlikely he was not drafted #1

Didn't realize Aaron Rodgers was in the draft this year. Is Manning in the draft as well?

Not this year, but Bart Starr should be available in the 5th round. You should change your avatar to him

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Nadine, April 6, 2012 - off topic

Not this year, but Bart Starr should be available in the 5th round. You should change your avatar to him

No thanks. I do not usually take avatar advice from Al Bundy.

Edited by shecolt
inappropriate content

No thanks. I do not usually take avatar advice from Al Bundy.

There's a name for people who type only with one finger, but it'd get edited here, and therefore misunderstood.

I hope ya'll are joking seeing as the topic of this thread is about keeping peace...

haha How could anyone be talking about Al Bundy and NOT be joking...... :lmao:

and for the record I meant the character Al Bundy

No thanks. I do not usually take avatar advice from Al Bundy. By the way Al, how do you type with your hand down the front of your pants while sitting on the couch?

40 Years of practice. Peg, go make me a sandwich.