Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Day 2 rated QB (Rounds 2 or 3) has the best upside?

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

In a worst case scenario where we get a QB in around Day 2, which QBs do you think project to have best upside if coached well?

Honestly you have Kyle Trask who I would top of Day 2 guys. You then have Davis Mills who is rising quick and to me I think Mond is another Dak Prescott. That would be my top 3 anyways and in that order. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trask and Mills, that’s it. Mac Jones, if he drops to No.32, wouldn’t mind giving up a 2nd and future 2nd to get a 5th year option while developing him.

I was curious because I think Mac Jones is the best of the day 2 QBs, who like you said may go 32 for the 5th year option. If not Jones then probably Newman.

So according to Ballard we are not trading up for Zach Wilson or others.

“You can’t trade up and take the wrong guy…there’s a fine line between being aggressive and desperate. We are not going to operate in a desperate world…we will be aggressive when we need to be aggressive.”

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I was curious because I think Mac Jones is the best of the day 2 QBs, who like you said may go 32 for the 5th year option. If not Jones then probably Newman.

Mac Jones to me is a day 1 guy. I see 5 QB’s taking round 1. With that being said Newman to me is at best a day 3 guy. The Senior Bowl did not help him at all. It should some of his worst traits more than anything. 

4 hours ago, piscean said:

So according to Ballard we are not trading up for Zach Wilson or others.

“You can’t trade up and take the wrong guy…there’s a fine line between being aggressive and desperate. We are not going to operate in a desperate world…we will be aggressive when we need to be aggressive.”

Do you think Ballard feels there is a right guy?  And who do you think that is?  Only Lawrence?  Fields?  You don’t view Wilson as “can’t miss” or close to “can’t miss”?

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Do you think Ballard feels there is a right guy?  And who do you think that is?  Only Lawrence?  Fields?  You don’t view Wilson as “can’t miss” or close to “can’t miss”?

He does like Wilson but doesn’t want to overpay. He did say he is dynamic. Looking how teams are overpaying we are out. Carolina, Bears, Denver and 49ers all are looking for a QB. They are desperate and will over pay and also they have better picks.

8 hours ago, piscean said:

He does like Wilson but doesn’t want to overpay. He did say he is dynamic. Looking how teams are overpaying we are out. Carolina, Bears, Denver and 49ers all are looking for a QB. They are desperate and will over pay and also they have better picks.

I agree. Which is why Colts fans need to look at existing QBs around the league as the next starter. Fitzmagic; Winston; Trubisky; Darnold, or a trade for a better starter than those four. Our owner pretty much laid down our marker as looking for a veteran leader. So did Ballard in his Dakich interview when he said the locker room is watching the QB decision; they know they are close and that the QB will make the difference. 

So, I suggest giving up the notion that the Colts will trade up in the draft and grab one of the top QBs available. Not gonna happen. Its going to be a vet. 

I really like what I’ve seen from Mills. I would say Trask but I just think about how he’s not a day one starter and that’s already what we had with Eason, but he has more upside because of his arm strength. I feel like Trask is basically a poor man’s Jacob Eason. If I were ranking the day 2 guys (considering the hype for Jones going round 1 is building) Id have it

1. Davis Mills

2. Kyle Trask

3. Jamie Newman

Newman is too rusty right now because sitting out for a year killed him as the Senior Bowl showed. If not I’d have him number 1 of the day 2 guys.

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Do you really believe Trask is a 1st round pick? 

I don't think he's a first round talent but Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Jones are guaranteed in the top 21

NO, Pittsburgh, and Tampa could all take him on the backend

15 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I don't think he's a first round talent but Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Jones are guaranteed in the top 21

Idk about Jones going in the top 21. QBs are highly valued but not as many go in top 21 as you think. That's 5 you have there. Not saying it's not possible but I wouldn't say "guaranteed". Personally I'd bet against it. 

10 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Idk about Jones going in the top 21. QBs are highly valued but not as many go in top 21 as you think. That's 5 you have there. Not saying it's not possible but I wouldn't say "guaranteed". Personally I'd bet against it. 

He was already a first rounder and he increased his stock with the Senior Bowl

He's not making it past Indy's pick

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I honestly feel if the Pats draft a QB it will be Jones at 15. Or they trade down a few and grab him still. 

My weird gut feeling since a month ago tells me Jaylen Waddle is dropping to No.21 because QBs will be overdrafted. So if we get QB and LT in free agency, he would be BPA, IMO.

9 hours ago, tvturner said:

He was already a first rounder and he increased his stock with the Senior Bowl

He's not making it past Indy's pick

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, lots of teams could use a QB and he could rise while someone else falls, but do you know when the last time 5 QBs went in the first 21 picks? Never. It has never happened.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

My weird gut feeling since a month ago tells me Jaylen Waddle is dropping to No.21 because QBs will be overdrafted. So if we get QB and LT in free agency, he would be BPA, IMO.

It depends who is sitting there at 21. Personally there are a lot of guys that I would take over him. Waddle looks like a good WR but I can see us going DE or maybe trading back in that situation. Idk though. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Curious of why you say this...?

Mond showed he was coachable at the Senior Bowl so I agree. But why the no with Trask? 

Mills is definitely a question mark as well to me. 

zero mobility, average arm strength...etc

and frankly, I sorta put Mac Jones in the same category--looked great throwing to NFL 1st round receivers against college defenses, but doubt he has the arm strength to put throws into the much-smaller windows he'll see vs. NFL defenses

22 hours ago, tvturner said:

Words like guaranteed should rarely be used in connection with the draft.   NFL, NBA, MLB,  or NHL. 

Very few things are guaranteed.  Lawrence going first overall might be as close to a safe bet as there is.   Otherwise....

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Words like guaranteed should rarely be used in connection with the draft.   NFL, NBA, MLB,  or NHL. 

Very few things are guaranteed.  Lawrence going first overall might be as close to a safe bet as there is.   Otherwise....

I guess you'll see in April

Curious how many on here have really seen Trask play. i have seen him alot and feel he has a lot of talent. Won't scramble for 500 yds like Mahomes did in the Super Bowl but I feel is pretty darn good and will be good out of the box. Pocket passer with great accuracy and a fairly strong arm. Late in the season was like 36 tds and 3 ints. not sure on the statsbut had a bad game or two at the EOY.

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I guess you'll see in April

Having followed drafts of all sorts for more than 50 years and having covered the NFL draft for roughly 15-20 years I’ve learned to expect the unexpected.   The trades alone change everything.   There are always surprises.    That’s why making guarantees becomes next to impossible.   

9 hours ago, poilucelt said:

zero mobility, average arm strength...etc

and frankly, I sorta put Mac Jones in the same category--looked great throwing to NFL 1st round receivers against college defenses, but doubt he has the arm strength to put throws into the much-smaller windows he'll see vs. NFL defenses

I am interested to here more scouting reports on Trask for sure. Well going back to the Senior Bowl, Jones was probably one of the most impressive players there. He made multiple throws to tight windows to not first round receivers. Plus I don’t understand why that he sees him in some eyes. No one said any of that about Burrows last year. Not saying you specifically. 

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I am interested to here more scouting reports on Trask for sure. Well going back to the Senior Bowl, Jones was probably one of the most impressive players there. He made multiple throws to tight windows to not first round receivers. Plus I don’t understand why that he sees him in some eyes. No one said any of that about Burrows last year. Not saying you specifically. 

Burrow had way better traits than Jones. Not even close. You can pretty much connect the dots yourself though. If Burrow only had one year of amazing production, had elite NFL talent to throw too, and has average arm strength and mobility, but he was seen as a can’t miss number 1 overall pick, that means that obviously there is something with Jones that you’re not seeing.

13 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Curious how many on here have really seen Trask play. i have seen him alot and feel he has a lot of talent. Won't scramble for 500 yds like Mahomes did in the Super Bowl but I feel is pretty darn good and will be good out of the box. Pocket passer with great accuracy and a fairly strong arm. Late in the season was like 36 tds and 3 ints. not sure on the statsbut had a bad game or two at the EOY.

My Kyle Trask comparison in the NFL is Derek Carr. He is very accurate underneath, hits WRs in stride for YAC, and can move just enough to move out of the pocket while looking to throw.

I don't think I am far off. Carr was drafted at the top of Round 2, just FYI.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, chad72 said:

My Kyle Trask comparison in the NFL is Derek Carr. He is very accurate underneath, hits WRs in stride for YAC, and can move just enough to move out of the pocket while looking to throw.

I don't think I am far off. Carr was drafted at the top of Round 2, just FYI.

Difference is Carr has a big arm, he just doesn’t use it, much like Jacoby.

This year is a lot like last year's draft for me.  I like some of the 1st round guys, but not much after that.  I like Kyle Trask a lot, and Davis Mills is a guy I think can be a journeyman spot-starter (maybe like a young Hoyer or Cassell).  Not a fan of Mond or Newman, though.  

On 2/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, chad72 said:

In a worst case scenario where we get a QB in around Day 2, which QBs do you think project to have best upside if coached well?

Dont think we will draft a Day 2 QB. A day 2 QB would most likely be a projectional qb to be groomed for 2022 or later, we already have Eason for that.. We'll probably be using our 2nd round pick to acquire a veteran, like Wentz or Ryan or trade up in package with #21 to get a top rookie prospect. 

I will throw a name out there, Ian Book. Maybe he's a Day 3 prospect??

. But he looks cerebral, accurate, and mobile. 

What's the major knocks on him that puts him so far from the top prospects?.... size, arm strength,  athleticism???

I haven't seen a ton of him but what I seen is maybe he can be atleast a backup QB in this league?

Thinking Indiana people will know more about him.

45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Dont think we will draft a Day 2 QB. A day 2 QB would most likely be a projectional qb to be groomed for 2022 or later, we already have Eason for that.. We'll probably be using our 2nd round pick to acquire a veteran, like Wentz or Ryan or trade up in package with #21 to get a top rookie prospect. 

I will throw a name out there, Ian Book. Maybe he's a Day 3 prospect??

. But he looks cerebral, accurate, and mobile. 

What's the major knocks on him that puts him so far from the top prospects?.... size, arm strength,  athleticism???

I haven't seen a ton of him but what I seen is maybe he can be atleast a backup QB in this league?

Thinking Indiana people will know more about him.

Ian Book is a Day 3 guy who could possibly find a good spot to be a backup for a little. He is t a starter in the league though. Does not have good pocket presence. Gets nervous quick. Does not read through his progressions well. Does not have great arm strength. Has a lot of limitations. He does have some athleticism but nothing to wow you at the pro level. Again, I would say 5th at the earliest but more likely a 6th rounder. Backup player who disappears from the league after 4 years or so. 

Archived