Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cousins on the move?

Indeee

During a QB list of teams wanting QBs I threw the Vikings in there as I knew cousins was FA next year and low and behold this now comes out of Minnesota....

Vikings Central

@VikesCentral

Breaking: The San Francisco 49ers are making a “strong push” to land Vikings QB Kirk Cousins. Jimmy Garoppolo would have to be involved in the deal. Kyle Shanahan thinks Cousins can take their team over the top.

12:17 PM · Feb 1, 2021

Now I thought Watson mightve been in play for San Fran but price probably too steep.... Can't see Garrapolo in MN though, so if this happens I still think Garrapolo is sent to NE and Vikings getting the 49ers 1st, coupled with their own might put them in position to move up with either Jets, Phins, or Lions to get their QB

Very interesting if there is real smoke here

I like Cousins.   Always have dating back to his time at Michigan State.  The Spartans were really good during his time there.

Here’s my favorite Cousins story.   That he went out of his way to learn at least one factoid about every single teammate.  And not just the 85 on scholarship, but the 20 walk-on players as well.  All 105 teammates.

This way, on any given day, Cousins could walk up to any teammate and strike up a conversation with them.   That’s what great leaders do.   I was hugely impressed then, and I like him to this day.

Not saying he doesn’t have warts.  But with a franchise like Indy, I think we’d see the best Cousins possible.   If Minn is shopping, I hope we at least kick the tires...   

8 hours ago, Indeee said:

During a QB list of teams wanting QBs I threw the Vikings in there as I knew cousins was FA next year and low and behold this now comes out of Minnesota....

Vikings Central

@VikesCentral

Breaking: The San Francisco 49ers are making a “strong push” to land Vikings QB Kirk Cousins. Jimmy Garoppolo would have to be involved in the deal. Kyle Shanahan thinks Cousins can take their team over the top.

12:17 PM · Feb 1, 2021

Now I thought Watson mightve been in play for San Fran but price probably too steep.... Can't see Garrapolo in MN though, so if this happens I still think Garrapolo is sent to NE and Vikings getting the 49ers 1st, coupled with their own might put them in position to move up with either Jets, Phins, or Lions to get their QB

Very interesting if there is real smoke here

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Just now, NFLfan said:

Lol. Didn't I mention this yesterday. I posted that article from that 49ers blog.

Don't know if it's the same article.

I thought the one yesterday said they weren't likely to trade him?

Interesting take though. 49ers are willing to include #12 for Cousins and were not for Stafford?

I must say I agree with that assessment. O think Cousins is better.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Don't know if it's the same article.

I thought the one yesterday said they weren't likely to trade him?

Interesting take though. 49ers are willing to include #12 for Cousins and were not for Stafford?

I must say I agree with that assessment. O think Cousins is better.

Shanahan loves Cousins. He wanted Cousins before they traded for Jimmy G. 

The article yesterday said that the 49ers could make the trade (financially doable and Shanahan wants Cousins), but the writer said that fans would not be pleased, as Cousins is seen as a mediocre QB.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Shanahan loves Cousins. He wanted Cousins before they traded for Jimmy G. 

The article yesterday said that the 49ers could make the trade (financially doable and Shanahan wants Cousins), but the writer said that fans would not be pleased, as Cousins is seen as a mediocre QB.

Cousins would go to a similar run friendly system but with better defensive support, so he will be going to a better situation, IMO, where he does not have to put it on his shoulder too often. Even when the 49ers are behind, the run is a big factor, just like Dalvin Cook was, too many similarities to ignore the possibilities for Cousins to succeed. Better TE and FB usage with the 49ers even if we consider the WRs a wash (Thielen/Jefferson vs Samuel/Aiyuk), IMO.

59 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cousins would go to a similar run friendly system but with better defensive support, so he will be going to a better situation, IMO, where he does not have to put it on his shoulder too often

That is exactly what was said in 2018. Vikes were coming off a 13-3 season with Case Keenum as QB. The Vikes thought they were greatly upgrading the position by replacing Keenum with Cousins. Instead of playing better with Cousins, we fell back to 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs. Our defense was still pretty good in 2018. The only major difference was at QB. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@w87r

No one is giving up that No.12 pick for Cousins. I think the 49ers will eventually settle on a 2nd, 3rd and Jimmy G, they probably started 2nd and 4th so that they have wiggle room for negotiation.

Like I said before, the Rams' exorbitant trade for Stafford has messed up future trades for QBs this off season, IMO. You need enough time to pass for GMs to refer to it as an outlier of a trade.

Ok here we go...

This I will say.. I live in the DC area so I have seen Cousins play up close and as well nationally with the Vikings. I don't know why but I have always thought Cousins was better than his critics claim, yet he does/has done stupid things in certain times that make me scratch my head. Honestly every time I hear that Cousins seemingly choked, I cringe as I have always wanted this guy to succeed for some reason.

I think the Vikings realize that without another 1st round pick in their pocket, they cannot move up to get the QB they want. Vikings don't want Garrapolo and Garrapolo on his own is not going to fetch a 1st round pick if the Vikings wanted to deal Garrapolo once they have his rights.

As far as the colts go... I never considered Cousins ever in being here, however the thought of Cousins I could get on board with. The upside to Cousins from a monetary standpoint is that his contract would be Nowhere near what he was paid with the Vikings and I believe you could get him less than what you paid Rivers too. I would think somewhere between 18-21 mil or similar or a little less than Stafford is currently making.

If this news is correct in the 49ers offering, any other team who might be interested now has an open window. Will the Colts want to peek inside? Who knows....

Oh and one more thing. If the Colts do decide they might want Cousins, the Colts will HAVE to also understand they HAVE to go get wideouts as Cousins with our lot of guys right now will definitely fail.

Cousins is not a guy who will take a bunch of jags and turn them into a bunch of swags... Just saying, so there is that

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would offer them the 21st and a 4th and a player and I think we have our new QB.  

21st and nothing more, for Cousins and see if the Vikings take it. Nothing more. They had a boatload of picks last year and did pretty well, IMO, we need our picks to retain as well. If it is a player we want to get rid of, by all means, yes. Otherwise, not a huge fan of Cousins to give up too much.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Ok I'm wrong. Cousins contract is 56 mil for next two years... 28mil average a year... Yikes....

No thanks.... 

Maybe this explains the reluctance of the 49ers giving up a 1st... absorbing that contract 

I don't think that contract is exorbitant and we could certainly handle it.  We did pay 25m for Rivers.  I imagine you could always extend him and lower the cap hit if you want.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

21st and nothing more, for Cousins and see if the Vikings take it. Nothing more. They had a boatload of picks last year and did pretty well, IMO, we need our picks to retain as well. If it is a player we want to get rid of, by all means, yes. Otherwise, not a huge fan of Cousins to give up too much.

What I suggested is close to what they were asking from the 49ers.  They don't want to give up their 12th.  It sure looks like they want to trade up and take a QB so they will need a 1st and ours would certainly help them.  After the 1st who knows what it would take.   But if you want a veteran like Cousins or Ryan you are going to have to pay.  Cousins cap hit is much lower than Ryan's I believe.  So it's him or maybe Carr if we can pry him loose.   We will see if Ballard is interested in Cousins.  That's a trade that could happen quickly too.  If Ballard is adamant on keeping his 1st then it looks like a trade for Darnold is the one that makes the most sense.  Low cap hit leaves more money for FA and keeping the 1st let's you fill a hole with a nice pick.  

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What I suggested is close to what they were asking from the 49ers.  They don't want to give up their 12th.  It sure looks like they want to trade up and take a QB so they will need a 1st and ours would certainly help them.  After the 1st who knows what it would take.   But if you want a veteran like Cousins or Ryan you are going to have to pay.  Cousins cap hit is much lower than Ryan's I believe.  So it's him or maybe Carr if we can pry him loose.   We will see if Ballard is interested in Cousins.  That's a trade that could happen quickly too.  If Ballard is adamant on keeping his 1st then it looks like a trade for Darnold is the one that makes the most sense.  Low cap hit leaves more money for FA and keeping the 1st let's you fill a hole with a nice pick.  

Yes, I do think that is the case, that Ballard wants to keep his 1st which he can parlay into a 1st and 3rd by moving with the Browns to No.26, just a few spots behind etc. and other possibilities, knowing his history.

The more and more I think about it, I'd say bring in Mitch Trubisky and give him the best support with the best OL and defense possible and also bring in a familiar face Allen Robinson to go with it, and see where things go from there.

Cousins is known as Captain check down. That's one reason why the Vikings WR's were getting so * off. He passes for a high percentage because of those 3 yard dunk passes. He's Goff all over again. A guy that hits high percentages but only gets yards if the WR's can break tackles and run..

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

not really 

I agree.  

Comp % TD      INT      Rating

2017     64.3       27      13       93.9

2018    70.1         30      10       99.7

2019    69.1        26      6        107.4

2020    67.6        35      13      105.0

He's not great but he's pretty decent.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.  

Comp % TD      INT      Rating

2017     64.3       27      13       93.9

2018    70.1         30      10       99.7

2019    69.1        26      6        107.4

2020    67.6        35      13      105.0

He's not great but he's pretty decent.

he's definitely been good imo and part of his career has been on a terrible Washington team and the Vikings almost always have a garbage OL too

Archived