Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford (merge)

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Noisiest reporting right now says Colts like Stafford and Fields. 

So would you rather give up a 2021 first for Stafford, or trade up and use the 2021 first and 2022 first (most likely) for Fields?

I think it'd take more than that to get high enough for Fields.  But if I knew I could get him, I'd take him over Stafford.  The things he needs to improve on are coachable, and the elite traits he already has are not.

Also, for those that want to watch "free" tape on Fields (or any other prospect this cycle), check this series out:

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I think it'd take more than that to get high enough for Fields.  But if I knew I could get him, I'd take him over Stafford.  The things he needs to improve on are coachable, and the elite traits he already has are not.

Also, for those that want to watch "free" tape on Fields (or any other prospect this cycle), check this series out:

Yeah it definitely would take at least 2 first and an additional pick or 2. I guess depending on where he slots at. 

I for one am not vert big on Fields, but I will throw my support behind whoever ends up being our QB.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

For me we have only two options. Get Stafford or trade way up for a QB. There is no one else out there that is going to get this team to where they were last season. So it’s Stafford or just start the clock on a rookie or Eason.  That’s it. Stop with the stupid bandaids if we don’t get Stafford.

Better than making a mistake in the draft like Jordan Love would have been last year - like so many wanted. I'd be surprised if we draft a quarterback after Eason last year. I hope it's Stafford, but maybe it's someone else.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

For me we have only two options. Get Stafford or trade way up for a QB. There is no one else out there that is going to get this team to where they were last season. So it’s Stafford or just start the clock on a rookie or Eason.  That’s it. Stop with the stupid bandaids if we don’t get Stafford.

I think just the opposite.  No young QB will get us there in the next three years.  There's about 5 vets that would be better options than a first round QB.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think just the opposite.  No young QB will get us there in the next three years.  There's about 5 vets that would be better options than a first round QB.

It won’t take three years. First year might have some bumps but I expect after that it will be better.  I see no other vets that is going to get us to 11 wins outside of Stafford. So don’t waste a year on some bandaid. Just start the clock on the young guy. Otherwise your just wasting another year.  I still expect SF to get him. It seems they are trying everything to get him to where he wants to go.

When it comes to the draft no one really knows.  Last year a lot people believed the Colts would have to trade up from 13 to get Jordan Love and we saw how that turned out.  21 would be a good spot to select whomever drops, or a good position to trade back from to potentially select Jones or Trask early in the 2nd, while gaining more picks.  

17 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Better than making a mistake in the draft like Jordan Love would have been last year - like so many wanted. I'd be surprised if we draft a quarterback after Eason last year. I hope it's Stafford, but maybe it's someone else.

That isn’t the choice though. You trying to say they wouldn’t love to have Fields. We aren’t talking about drafting someone they don’t like. It’s about going up and getting the one you like. Because I can’t take another one year bandaid then another QB change in 22.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It won’t take three years. First year might have some bumps but I expect after that it will be better.  I see no other vets that is going to get us to 11 wins outside of Stafford. So don’t waste a year on some bandaid. Just start the clock on the young guy. Otherwise your just wasting another year.  I still expect SF to get him. It seems they are trying everything to get him to where he wants to go.

Pretty much all of the college QBs have had easy wide open receivers to throw too.  I think Trask is the only one who had to fight through some real adversity during the season.  Not that I want him, just saying that the bust potential is pretty high with all QBs not named Trevor, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I was not at all impressed with Fields a couple of times during the season.

We won 11 games last year and was in every game. I don't see anything wrong with what we did with Rivers.

We can’t keep kicking the can down the road. It just wastes time. If you can’t get a vet you believe can take you to the SB it’s time to see what Eason can do or go get the guy you like in the draft. Having four QB in 4 years is just not logical. You go get Ryan or any of the other left overs you could be talking 5 in 5 years.  It’s time to find the future I’d there isn’t a vet that they think can get you to a SB and 3 to 5 more years.

Yes, we can.

You assume whoever you pick is the answer - like Love was supposed to be last year. That didn't work.

Most teams aren't lucky enough to draft Manning and Luck in a 20-year period.

As Ballard says, you don't "force" a pick because you think it's "time" to get a quarterback.

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

Yes, we can.

You assume whoever you pick is the answer - like Love was supposed to be last year. That didn't work.

Most teams aren't lucky enough to draft Manning and Luck in a 20-year period.

As Ballard says, you don't "force" a pick because you think it's "time" to get a quarterback.

I think your missing the point. If they have someone they believe in then try and go get him. This team is wasting all these young guys. Another three years of this and they will be pushing 30. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think your missing the point. If they have someone they believe in then try and go get him. This team is wasting all these young guys. Another three years of this and they will be pushing 30. 

No. Same point you had last year. Love wasn't the answer.

I think if I'm Ballard I make maybe one sincere Stafford offer: this year's 2nd and next year's 1st.

If Detroit counters with something like "it has to be THIS year's 1st, and next year's 2nd, plus maybe a player" I move on.......

even if that means not solving the QB problem, because despite what the owner may think, once both Castonzo and Rivers retired, the idea that the team is still in "win now" mode became a bit more debatable

given that the only likely new QB within realistic reach is an FCS guy who'll need a fair amount of time (developmentally speaking), AND I just drafted a developmental QB a year ago, I probably would hold onto #21 and just draft the BPA, assuming it'll probably be an LT, Edge, CB or WR.

and, yes, it would possibly mean another band-aid QB for another season, because I suspect the cost of moving up for another rookie QB could really effect the ability to keep building the current roster through the draft at other positions of need

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Please tell me you're not counting Darnold, Wentz,  and Dalton in those 5 vets?  I'd take Fields or Wilson over all 3 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Same with Winston, Goff, or Cam.  Only veteran (who might become available) that I believe could match Rivers performance and maybe improve on it some is Ryan.  But there are games where he looked cooked last year and his mobility is lacking like Rivers.  Stafford is a slight maybe.  But when has he ever put his team on his back and went and won a playoff game?  The same number of times as any rookie we'd draft.  None.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

So would you rather give up a 2021 first for Stafford, or trade up and use the 2021 first and 2022 first (most likely) for Fields?

I'm taking Fields.  We let Fields (Colts) and Lawrence (Jags) continue their rivalry for the next decade plus in the AFC South.

14 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

If Detroit counters with something like "it has to be THIS year's 1st, and next year's 2nd, plus maybe a player" I move on.......

I think my offer would be #21, 2022 3rd and Banogu

Would make 2022 3rd a conditional 2nd if we reach AFC championship game or something, if they don't want Banogu.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am pretty sure most everyone knew love was going to have I sit a year or two. So it wasn’t between who gave us the best chance to win.

You've read how bad Love has looked...We'd have gone 6-10 last year with Brissett and many would want to draft another quarterback now.

3 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

Agreed.  If there's one available and 1st round worthy, I think we go LT in the first round and corner in the 2nd. 

This is all great but who plays QB. At this point we might be stuck with Jacoby if we don’t get Stafford. 

Foles is the only  other one I would be ok with because Reich has history with him. 

Just now, Orioles22 said:

You've read how bad Love has looked...We'd have gone 6-10 last year with Brissett and many would want to draft another quarterback now.

Not sure what your talking about. Love would of sat behind Rivers for a year. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is all great but who plays QB. At this point we might be stuck with Jacoby if we don’t get Stafford. 

Foles is the only  other one I would be ok with because Reich has history with him. 

Glad you like it. :thmup:  I voted Stafford.  If we don't get Stafford, I suppose we go with Eason.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Well I want nothing to do with Fields so if those are the choices sign me up for Stafford.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Frankly, the young Franchise QB is a nice thought, but if we could roll with a Stafford for 4 years, another Stafford for the next 4, and another Stafford for the next 4; what's the real difference?  As expensive as guys like Stafford are, your young franchise guy will earn that pay too.

Overall, I agree with Frank's offensive philosophy of playing keep away.  You beat KC by giving their O only 8 possessions a game instead of 13.  I don't want a QB running around making splash plays and giving the ball up in 2 minutes by either scoring a TD or a pick.  You win by having a positive scoring difference, not necessarily by scoring a lot of points

I agree with you on Frank's philosophy on beating the Chiefs and teams like that.  But I disagree on how we get there.  I don't think you get there with a QB like Stafford.  He's a veteran who is kind of set in his ways.  He's never had a good/great running attack.  Tells me that if the run proves ineffective for even a short period of time, he'd be looking to abandon the running game and rely on his arm to win shootouts or make comebacks (his specialty: fall behind, abandon the run, and sling it around the yard getting inefficient garbage stats and yards but usually not wins). 

You bring in a rookie like Fields, Wilson,  and eventually (due to inexperience) Lance and you improve the effectiveness of our best offensive assets (OLine and Taylor).  I think with Fields, Taylor, and Hines we'd have a top 3-5 rushing attack.  That alone would put less pressure on our QB to have to be the reason to win a lot of games for us.  They'd just have to be efficient and take care of the ball.  But their legs would be an added weapon to keep drives alive.  That's how we limit KC's possessions.  Ball control offense behind a top ranked rushing attack.

And people seem to forget that rookies like Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson all took their teams to the playoffs as rookies.  The advantage that a guy we'd draft would have over them is that they'd be going to an 11-5 team.  Not a team that picked high in the draft.  So they wouldn't have to be Luck just RG3 or Russell.  And Fields is a much better prospect than both Russ and RG3.  And our team now is just as good if not better than both the Seahawks or Washington Football Team were back then.  I think Fields or Wilson could come in and have us competing for the playoffs next year.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I doubt they would have signed RIvers if they picked a quarterback in the first round last year.

Archived