Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Cornerback Coach

MarquisJ

He would be a great hire.

“During his tenure with the Blazers, the 30-year-old, helped the Blazers achieve a record of 8-3 last season. Rowe’s defense at Valdosta State was ranked number one amongst Division II college football programs with 27 interceptions, and fifth in opposing passing efficiency.

In addition, Rowe’s defense held opposing team’s signal callers to passer ratings under 100. He was also able to guide Valdosta State safety Kenny Moore to be recognized as a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.”

- USA Today profile on Rowe from 2017

13 hours ago, zibby43 said:

He would be a great hire.

“During his tenure with the Blazers, the 30-year-old, helped the Blazers achieve a record of 8-3 last season. Rowe’s defense at Valdosta State was ranked number one amongst Division II college football programs with 27 interceptions, and fifth in opposing passing efficiency.

In addition, Rowe’s defense held opposing team’s signal callers to passer ratings under 100. He was also able to guide Valdosta State safety Kenny Moore to be recognized as a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.”

- USA Today profile on Rowe from 2017

This should be good in many ways.  A new set of eyes to help preach technique to RYS....looks to be aggressive in nature based on the INT numbers (now that doesn't always translate because Eberflus will have some say in that style)  Another thing about this is that Kenny Moore had seemed pretty bummed about our last DB coach leaving, so I am guessing he might be excited to be reunited with a new coach.  (I would bet they talked to him about Rowe)  

All in all I am pleased with the decision.  We just need to find a couple positions coaches and we are good.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rhodes has been around 100 years it seems. He can play for anyone.

I still can't believe we didn't get him in 2013. I'm pretty sure this entire board that year thought we were going Star or Rhodes, and Minnesota grabbed both of them while we got Werner lol

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I still can't believe we didn't get him in 2013. I'm pretty sure this entire board that year thought we were going Star or Rhodes, and Minnesota grabbed both of them while we got Werner lol

Yeah, Grigs took Werner lol but that is the mighty Grigs for you. At least he did draft TY so I can't be too tough on the guy :thmup:

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rhodes has been around 100 years it seems. He can play for anyone.

No doubt but the reason he came to the Colts was because of our CB coach who just went to the Eagles I believe.  So now he is gone so if we are trying to resign him It doesn't help that he left. 

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Plus 33-15 in first 3 seasons +3 playoff wins. 

Kelly, TY, Doyle still some of our best offensive players. 

I just can't believe he didn't build an O.Line and traded for Trent but he was ok in other area's. He did trade for Vonte which was great. The drafting of Luck was easy, everyone here in the forum would've done that so giving him credit for that would be comical. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just can't believe he didn't build an O.Line and traded for Trent but he was ok in other area's. He did trade for Vonte which was great. The drafting of Luck was easy, everyone here in the forum would've done that so giving him credit for that would be comical. 

He tried as I remember but missed.....and the Trent trade was awful.

But going into his 4th season Vegas regarded our team highly enough to make as SB favorites, I think?

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But going into his 4th season Vegas regarded our team highly enough to make as SB favorites, I think?

Yes the Trent trade ended up bad but it wasn't when it was made.

It wasn't the Colt's fault Trent ended up fat and out of shape. 

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yes...  prior to the 2015 season, we were talked up as a possible SB team.  But that was mostly due to be in the AFC Championship game the previous season.   By the end of the 8-8 2015 season our roster was being talked down as old and slow, lacking athleticism and skill.   

Grigson’s poor drafting and questionable FA decisions had caught up with the roster.   2016 made things obvious.  We were 8-8 because Luck and Hasselbeck dragged poor rosters to .500 seasons.   

Grigson got canned and Ballard started the rebuild.  

• 5 weeks later...

According to this article by Zach Hicks,

Our new CB's coach, Coach Rowe ticks several Colts boxes:

• Excellent at teaching how to break down film 
  • Highly prepared
  • Connects with his players on several levels
  • Experienced D and DB coach
  • Respected by his peers
  • Great history/relationship with Kenny Moore
  • High character kind of guy

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/19/22286191/colts-cb-coach-james-rowe-the-smartest-coach-i-have-ever-been-around

"The real story of James Rowe has as much to do with players on the field as it does off the field, and it would be a disservice to ignore his entire body of work. So in this article, we are going to look at aspects of just who James Rowe is and why he is the perfect fit for this Colts organization."

"Life is bigger than football and Rowe understands that better than most. He wasn’t just molding football players in the film room, he was molding young men to be prepared for the world after football is long gone. That is the overlap with a coach like Rowe. Preparation is everything on and off the field."

Kenny quote:

"Excited to play for Coach Rowe again. When I think about our foundation of the organization and how much we emphasize our core values as a team, he’s going to fit right into the system!"

It's a good read - enjoy!

I would not be surprised if we draft his latest project at CB on the 3rd day of the draft.....  Shemar Jean-Charles

"2020: First-team All-American by Walter Camp Football Foundation (first FBS first-team All-American in school history) ... Second-team All-American and the Sun Belt Player of the Year by PFF College … Second-team All-American by Sporting News and third-team All-American via Phil Steele ... Semifinalist for the Bednarik Award (nation’s top defender) and Thorpe Award (nation’s top defensive back) … First-team All-Sun Belt … Led nation as a senior with 16 PBUs and 17 passes defended (with one interception) in 12 games as a senior … Started all 12 games at cornerback and intercepted a pass at Texas State … Recorded 37 tackles, tying a career high of eight against Charlotte and posting six more against Arkansas State … ESPN’s No. 3 breakout player in 2020 (behind BYU QB Zach Wilson and Alabama QB Mac Jones) … According to PFF, had the rare accomplishment of recording a higher forced incompletion rate (34.6%) than catch rate allowed (32.7%) ... Targeted 35 times in single coverage and allowed only five catches while forcing 18 incompletions, according to PFF … Part of a tandem with Shaun Jolly, helped App State have the best CB tandem in college according to PFF College, as the Mountaineers had an FBS-leading 74 passes defended … Part of only FBS team that allowed its opponents to complete less than 50 percent of its passes (47.9 percent) … During regular season, second in the FBS in yards per coverage snap allowed on the outside … PFF College’s national Defensive MVP of the Week after recording a career-high four pass breakups, eight tackles and one forced fumble against Charlotte … Recorded three PBUs at ULM and two apiece against Marshall, Campbell and Louisiana."

Row is an interesting guy. I like his resume, but it is a bit confusing.

His latest stop (App St) was only a year, but if anyone is interested in their scheme, Here's a decent read.

https://matchquarters.com/2020/07/06/mq-film-study-app-state-vs-unc-2019/

Hard to know exactly what scheme he feels at home in given his career hops. Regardless, I'm sure he's here to carry out Flus's scheme. I know App St played 2 high and also rip/liz (similar to us). The front was different though (3-4 with anchor/dog).

My biggest hope is that he either is successful at transitioning RYS from a press man guy to a zone guy, or finds a new role for him, be it as NB, dime, or S. Would also love to see what he can do with Rodgers.

26 minutes ago, Franchise said:

I would not be surprised if we draft his latest project at CB on the 3rd day of the draft.....  Shemar Jean-Charles

"2020: First-team All-American by Walter Camp Football Foundation (first FBS first-team All-American in school history) ... Second-team All-American and the Sun Belt Player of the Year by PFF College … Second-team All-American by Sporting News and third-team All-American via Phil Steele ... Semifinalist for the Bednarik Award (nation’s top defender) and Thorpe Award (nation’s top defensive back) … First-team All-Sun Belt … Led nation as a senior with 16 PBUs and 17 passes defended (with one interception) in 12 games as a senior … Started all 12 games at cornerback and intercepted a pass at Texas State … Recorded 37 tackles, tying a career high of eight against Charlotte and posting six more against Arkansas State … ESPN’s No. 3 breakout player in 2020 (behind BYU QB Zach Wilson and Alabama QB Mac Jones) … According to PFF, had the rare accomplishment of recording a higher forced incompletion rate (34.6%) than catch rate allowed (32.7%) ... Targeted 35 times in single coverage and allowed only five catches while forcing 18 incompletions, according to PFF … Part of a tandem with Shaun Jolly, helped App State have the best CB tandem in college according to PFF College, as the Mountaineers had an FBS-leading 74 passes defended … Part of only FBS team that allowed its opponents to complete less than 50 percent of its passes (47.9 percent) … During regular season, second in the FBS in yards per coverage snap allowed on the outside … PFF College’s national Defensive MVP of the Week after recording a career-high four pass breakups, eight tackles and one forced fumble against Charlotte … Recorded three PBUs at ULM and two apiece against Marshall, Campbell and Louisiana."

IDK. The guys a NB, and we have Kenny (one of the better NBs in the league), and look to be trying to re-sign Carrie (very high end NB depth). I would agree we might go after him if we were a CB1 or 2 type of guy, but we seem to have NB covered. If Carrie is not brought back, I can see it. If he goes undrafted, I think he'd be a no brainer UDFA.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Row is an interesting guy. I like his resume, but it is a bit confusing.

His latest stop (App St) was only a year, but if anyone is interested in their scheme, Here's a decent read.

https://matchquarters.com/2020/07/06/mq-film-study-app-state-vs-unc-2019/

Hard to know exactly what scheme he feels at home in given his career hops. Regardless, I'm sure he's here to carry out Flus's scheme. I know App St played 2 high and also rip/liz (similar to us). The front was different though (3-4 with anchor/dog).

My biggest hope is that he either is successful at transitioning RYS from a press man guy to a zone guy, or finds a new role for him, be it as NB, dime, or S. Would also love to see what he can do with Rodgers.

I am also excited to see Rogers get a chance. 

50 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I am also excited to see Rogers get a chance. 

He's got his size going against him, but man is he an athletic freak. I'm hoping he has worked to pack some good weight on himself, while at the same time, not losing speed. He's obviously got high value on STs, I just hope he doesn't lose that value while trying to make himself better suited for CB play. While I know he's a total wildcard, still can't help being excited about his potential. 

Archived