Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)


Recommended Posts

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ballard add somebody we’re not even talking about.. maybe a guy Frank really likes and wants to be his guy..

 

Jared Goff? Mitch Trubisky?
 

But I really hope it’s Matty Stafford. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Except we won't win anything for a couple of years.  By that time IMO, our group here will be disperesed.  We won't be able to pay the line, Leonard, etc.  We could conceivably retool over that time and be as strong, but I wouldn't bank on that.

 

If we are going rookie, I'd rather see us trade some real assets and go ahead and rebuild the thing.  Reset the thing.

 

I hope we get a good vet.  Who that is and how we can afford the draft capital, I am just clueless.

 

 

 

You know damn well a rookie could come in and immediately contribute behind our OL. We have one of the best situations for any QB. 

 

This team could have just as much success with a rookie as a vet.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’d do that and I don’t love Watson and love Buckner.

I love Watson but I don't wanna return to a DL that gives ton of rushing yards.

 

Buckner made a HUGE difference on this D. I'd rather just keep Buck and roll with rookie. 

 

We would keep other picks too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things to keep in mind: 1) Houston isn’t trading Watson to any AFC team, let alone one in its division; and 2) Detroit won’t trade Stafford to a NFC team. So, IMO, this topic ought to focus on the possible, not the fantasy. Stafford could very easily be traded to the Colts for their #1 this year and a future pick. And it would be worth it, because right now the Colts are in QB purgatory, and Stafford is better than the alternatives. Eason may one day be the answer. But you CANNOT go into next season relying on either him, Jacoby or a rookie draft pick.  A move like this for Stafford  is now crucial given the retirement of Rivers. Look for it or something similar to happen. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I love Watson but I don't wanna return to a DL that gives ton of rushing yards.

 

Buckner made a HUGE difference on this D. I'd rather just keep Buck and roll with rookie. 

 

We would keep other picks too. 

We would be trading the equivalent of a 14 an 21 for Watson.  I think this is a no brainer.

 

I totally agree with what you are saying about Buckner except I believe Watsons value far exceeds him, his contract, and a 21st.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We would be trading the equivalent of a 14 an 21 for Watson.  I think this is a no brainer.

 

I totally agree with what you are saying about Buckner except I believe Watsons value far exceeds him, his contract, and a 21st.

 

 

I wish that would be enough. But I think the only way that trade would work is with a future first as well especially since they would be trading within the division. 

 

Although my dad mentioned the Colts could make it happen by finding another team who would trade for Watson and then they trade him to the Colts. 

 

Watson, even without Buckner, would absolutely make the Colts SB contenders or even favorites. 

 

But at this point I'm dreaming. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

 

I wish that would be enough. But I think the only way that trade would work is with a future first as well especially since they would be trading within the division. 

 

Although my dad mentioned the Colts could make it happen by finding another team who would trade for Watson and then they trade him to the Colts. 

 

Watson, even without Buckner, would absolutely make the Colts SB contenders or even favorites. 

 

But at this point I'm dreaming. 

Colts would win several 38 to 35 games. I would rather keep Buckner and go elsewhere possibly even the draft.

 

I know rookies aren't gonna make as much impact as Watson but I really don't want to lose a difference maker like DF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts would win several 38 to 35 games. I would rather keep Buckner and go elsewhere possibly even the draft.

 

I know rookies aren't gonna make as much impact as Watson but I really don't want to lose a difference maker like DF.

 

Id also feel horrible sending him to a place like Houston. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

 

I would take him if they traded down 

Trask with Rivers would be a nice experiment. 

Trask with Eason (who is supposedly not ready to be a backup) doesn't sound like fun.

 

I'm a Trask fan though (at least I like him more than Mack). Don't tell Dan.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Name 3 QBs you want and don't want

 

Want 

Stafford 

Jones

Lance 

 

Don't 

Trubisky 

Winston 

Wentz 

 

Want

Stafford - most reasonable

Lance

Watson but it will never happen 

 

Your don't list is mine, I would even throw Darnold in there as a NO.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Trask with Rivers would be a nice experiment. 

Trask with Eason (who is supposedly not ready to be a backup) doesn't sound like fun.

 

I'm a Trask fan though (at least I like him more than Mack). Don't tell Dan.

I like Jones 

Trask has good potential though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He's definitely going to need a good line to help. He isn't mobile but definitely could succeed behind this line.

he "needs" too much to be successful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

His accuracy is very good. I dont think he will take the league by storm but should be a very good starting QB.

I agree with the article. A buddy actually said the same thing. He'd be fine as plug an play with NO (or even maybe Indy with serious upgrades to WR), but would only last a quick second until his limitations caught up with him and the team realized the team needed to be too perfect in too many ways (for him to succeed). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

I agree with the article. A buddy actually said the same thing. He'd be fine as plug an play with NO (or even maybe Indy with serious upgrades to WR), but would only last a quick second until his limitations caught up with him and the team realized the team needed to be too perfect in too many ways (for him to succeed). 

Indy as you know has an excellent pass OL! If there's any team that could benefit Jones it would certainly be ours. 

 

You can't rule out an improvement in WR now (I know you didn't completely) because with Jones we would have plenty of cap space to bring in a high quality WR.

 

Jones most likely won't cost any picks either cause he should very well be available at 21 or possibly even later if Ballard trades down.

 

He is realistically without losing draft picks or part of the cap one of the best options. 

 

I also like Lance but can't see him falling to 21.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Two things to keep in mind: 1) Houston isn’t trading Watson to any AFC team, let alone one in its division; and 2) Detroit won’t trade Stafford to a NFC team. So, IMO, this topic ought to focus on the possible, not the fantasy. Stafford could very easily be traded to the Colts for their #1 this year and a future pick. And it would be worth it, because right now the Colts are in QB purgatory, and Stafford is better than the alternatives. Eason may one day be the answer. But you CANNOT go into next season relying on either him, Jacoby or a rookie draft pick.  A move like this for Stafford  is now crucial given the retirement of Rivers. Look for it or something similar to happen. 

I can’t see Ballard wanting to give up a 1st for a guy that will be 33 when the season starts. Yes he plays QB, but remember Tannehill only went for a 4th not long ago and he too was a top 10 draft pick and also at the age of 32 when he was dealt. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danlhart87 said:

Indy as you know has an excellent pass OL! If there's any team that could benefit Jones it would certainly be ours. 

 

You can't rule out an improvement in WR now (I know you didn't completely) because with Jones we would have plenty of cap space to bring in a high quality WR.

 

Jones most likely won't cost any picks either cause he should very well be available at 21 or possibly even later if Ballard trades down.

 

He is realistically without losing draft picks or part of the cap one of the best options. 

 

I also like Lance but can't see him falling to 21.

there are several options i'd take over jones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

there are several options i'd take over jones.

The others for the most part would likely cost losing losing draft picks and will eat away the cap. I respect your opinion but you must know the gamble it could take with other QBs.

 

Bottom line is Colts need all the picks they can get especially with the hole at LT and possibly needing a replacement for CB DE WR and TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The others for the most part would likely cost losing losing draft picks and will eat away the cap. I respect your opinion but you must know the gamble it could take with other QBs.

 

Bottom line is Colts need all the picks they can get especially with the hole at LT and possibly needing a replacement for CB DE WR and TE.

I'd take FAs Fitztragic or Crabston over Jones. And several other options. :applause:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That speaks volumes 

I don't hate Jones, and not saying he's absolutely going to be a bust. Just saying he's got a lower ceiling than the others, has higher bust potential, and takes a lot of perfect support just to try and make it happen. If he went to NO, I'd give him a decent chance. But that's about the only team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't hate Jones, and not saying he's absolutely going to be a bust. Just saying he's got a lower ceiling than the others, has higher bust potential, and takes a lot of perfect support just to try and make it happen. If he went to NO, I'd give him a decent chance. But that's about the only team.

There's a chance New Orleans guts their team so I don't see how they would be the best situation. He has a great chance of success behind our OL and possible top 10 running game to feed off of.

 

He would fit GREAT in Indy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danlhart87 said:

There's a chance New Orleans guts their team so I don't see how they would be the best situation. He has a great chance of success behind our OL and possible top 10 running game to feed off of.

 

He would fit GREAT in Indy

At Bama, he had an All Pro OL, All Pro RB, and All Pro WRs and TEs that were WIDE FREAKING OPEN all the time.

 

Not the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

At Bama, he had an All Pro OL, All Pro RB, and All Pro WRs and TEs that were WIDE FREAKING OPEN all the time.

 

Not the same.

The constant knock on him is always his former supporting cast but realistically he has the ability to be a great QB.  I understand how much the NFL has changed and pocket QBs are a thing of the past but I see great potential in Jones. He's got the necessary attributes to become successful.

 

What traits specifically do you dislike about him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The constant knock on him is always his former supporting cast but realistically he has the ability to be a great QB.  I understand how much the NFL has changed and pocket QBs are a thing of the past but I see great potential in Jones. He's got the necessary attributes to become successful.

 

What traits specifically do you dislike about him?

It's not just the pocket thing and lack of mobility. He doesn't have arm strength. He's smart, but he's not a guy that reads to the level of Rivers or Brady, or throws with anticipation like either. Maybe he gets to that level, and the will offset the mobility and arm strength issues. But why expend the draft capital on a guy that obviously lacks in two major areas, and needs time to develop in other areas needed to offset the deficiency.... especially when there are several highly mobile freaks like Wilson and Lance that only miss the polish, or a guy like Trask who made a ton happen, without half the support cast. 

 

Look, not saying he's total fail, but he's not a first rounder to me. He's a smarter variation of Fromm with maybe a little more arm, but with a far better support cast, and the best coaching assistants money could buy. I do like that he was coached by Sark, but that also screams he's probably just a good college QB. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The constant knock on him is always his former supporting cast but realistically he has the ability to be a great QB.  I understand how much the NFL has changed and pocket QBs are a thing of the past but I see great potential in Jones. He's got the necessary attributes to become successful.

 

What traits specifically do you dislike about him?

 

Mac Jones game kinda reminds me of Eli. Nothing flashly, not the biggest arm, good accurately and touch, limited movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Mac Jones game kinda reminds me of Eli. Nothing flashly, not the biggest arm, good accurately and touch, limited movement.

I've seen him compared to Rivers obviously that would probably be the ladder part of his career 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Mac Jones game kinda reminds me of Eli. Nothing flashly, not the biggest arm, good accurately and touch, limited movement.

Eli and Peyton were next level "read" and anticipate guys. Peyton had the better gun, but Eli was right there with the head. Peyton had more slinger to him too. Putting Jones in that company is a bit...... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I've seen him compared to Rivers obviously that would probably be the ladder part of his career 

If you can give, AND maintain a top 10 OL and RBs for his career, and at least top 10 pass catchers to start, I'd like his chances.

That's a tall ask given the built in deficiencies that won't go away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...