Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)


Recommended Posts

Darnold is an interesting option. It’s a gamble for sure. If his ceiling is what we’ve seen with the Jets then it would be the Jacoby season all over again, if not worse.

 

Honestly, I think the best bet for Darnold was to sit a year behind a guy like Phil. A vet who can help him do a hard reset on everything he’s done so far and set an example of success for him to follow. Then they could work him into games periodically like they did Brissett to really get a safe look at whether there’s anything there worth pursuing, or if the Jets just plain ruined him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Darnold is an interesting option. It’s a gamble for sure. If his ceiling is what we’ve seen with the Jets then it would be the Jacoby season all over again, if not worse.

 

Honestly, I think the best bet for Darnold was to sit a year behind a guy like Phil. A vet who can help him do a hard reset on everything he’s done so far and set an example of success for him to follow. Then they could work him into games periodically like they did Brissett to really get a safe look at whether there’s anything there worth pursuing, or if the Jets just plain ruined him. 

The problem with that is Darnold has a 5th year $25m option, so bringing him to sit, would put us in almost the same position as we are with Eason. Not knowing what we have 

 

Im all for bringing in Darnold and his $4.7m contract. Would allow us to keep our own and add a few other options, and we might luck out and Darnold be the future QB. Cheap gamble on our end. Low risk potential high reward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

Jeffrey Lurie picked Wentz over Pederson

 

He's not going anywhere

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Well at least we have like $70M in cap space now :peek:

We do, but we also have about 15 free agents and we have 0 QBs besides Eason under contract, we have no LT, we have serious needs at DE, CB, WR... possibly TE? 

 

And we have Leonard, Quenton and Braden in last year of cheap rookie deals. Those 70M will fly out the window quicker than we can imagine. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

From what I'm getting one of the reasons they fired Pederson was because they want to keep and resuscitate Wentz. Seems like their relationship was irreparable and Pederson wanted to move on from Wentz, while Roseman and the FO couldn't see a good path for it so they want to give him one more shot with a restart with different coach. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spaced that about Peterson/Wentz. That’s been reported right? I mean, I’ve heard the rumors, just haven’t gone out of my way to see who said it, Rap/Schefter/Pelissero/etc.

 

That’s fine with me though. My personal hope is Stafford or a trade up.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

dumb and dumber vomit GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Spaced that about Peterson/Wentz. That’s been reported right? I mean, I’ve heard the rumors, just haven’t gone out of my way to see who said it, Rap/Schefter/Pelissero/etc.

 

That’s fine with me though. My personal hope is Stafford or a trade up.

Pick trask

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Rivers retiring, I'm expecting Ballard to make a push to trade a 3rd round pick or so to get Matthew Stafford, if Detroit makes him available and they wanna rebuild with a young QB. 

 

A lot of what Ballard does will show his hand on what he thinks of Jacob Eason longterm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one that's writing off Wentz knows what they're talking about. 

Wentz contract would need a massive overhaul for me to even consider him a solid option. Right now I would give a 5th tops.

 

If the Colts trade him for a 1 or 2 it will be one of the dumbest things Ballard has done. 

 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With Rivers retiring, I'm expecting Ballard to make a push to trade a 3rd round pick or so to get Matthew Stafford, if Detroit makes him available and they wanna rebuild with a young QB. 

 

A lot of what Ballard does will show his hand on what he thinks of Jacob Eason longterm. 

It will take more than a 3 to land Stafford. Most likely a 1!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one that's writing off Wentz knows what they're talking about. 

Strongly disagree..

 

Dude looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet this year, couldn't read a defense (I think that was Reich's job, scheming up stuff so that the reads weren't terribly difficult) and was chucking INT's like it was going out of style.

 

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into it personally

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Wentz contract would need a massive overhaul for me to even consider him a solid option. Right now I would give a 5th tops.

 

If the Colts trade him for a 1 or 2 it will be one of the dumbest things Ballard has done. 

 

How much cap would Wentz take in 2021 if traded to the Colts?

 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Strongly disagree..

 

Dude looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet this year, couldn't read a defense (I think that was Reich's job, scheming up stuff so that the reads weren't terribly difficult) and was chucking INT's like it was going out of style.

 

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into personally

 

I think you're mistaken, and your synopsis makes me think you haven't actually watched him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one that's writing off Wentz knows what they're talking about. 

 

Yeah, I totally get why they’d go after him. It’s kind of a low risk high reward move IMO. It’s not like trading up for a rookie risk level at least.

 

Plus, if it comes down to Wentz or possibly running it back with JB, which doesn’t seem out of the question, please gimme Wentz.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

How much cap would Wentz take in 2021 if traded to the Colts?

 

 

I think you're mistaken, and your synopsis makes me think you haven't actually watched him. 

Yeah, I just made it up

 

I'm going to stick with the polite "strongly disagree"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Strongly disagree..

 

Dude looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet this year, couldn't read a defense (I think that was Reich's job, scheming up stuff so that the reads weren't terribly difficult) and was chucking INT's like it was going out of style.

 

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into personally

Last year was an obvious outlier in Wentz' career. He definitely was in a mental funk, but make no mistake... he is an extremely talented QB who has the ability and skill to be one of the best in the league. Just an example last year he had 3.4% INT%, That's double his INT% for the rest of his 4 year career. The previous 3 years it was 1.2%, 1.6% and 1.7%. which were some of the best in the league. To me last year is pretty clear aberration rather than the norm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, I just made it up

 

I'm going to stick with the polite "strongly disagree"

 

Not saying you made it up. I'm sure you saw some Eagles games where Wentz didn't look good. There's more to an evaluation than that, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Not saying you made it up. I'm sure you saw some Eagles games where Wentz didn't look good. There's more to an evaluation than that, though.

He looked broken. Like a guy who can't do it anymore. Further down the rabbit hole than a funk.

 

This does happen to athletes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

How much cap would Wentz take in 2021 if traded to the Colts?

 

Pretty much nothing if overthecap numbers are correct(about 1M), This is part of the reason it makes it really bad for Philly to trade him - they still have to keep paying him tons of money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

You jumped from the Newman train to Trask train now?

 

 

Thinking of who would be there at 21. Trask and Newman  will be. Not sure about Mac jones. Not sure which direction  Ballard  will go.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Pretty much nothing if overthecap numbers are correct(about 1M), This is part of the reason it makes it really bad for Philly to trade him - they still have to keep paying him tons of money. 

 

If they were to trade him, it would break up the unpaid bonus money. I think I know what the cap would be to the Colts, just wondering if others are paying attention, or just assume he's a $35m QB if traded.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing everyone seems to be missing is, even if we draft a qb this year, we're not starting them year 1, unless its Fields, Wilson or Lawrence. Not happening. Did we not see how Ballard spoke about drafting QBs? So even if he does go grab a Trask, or a Jones, this team is looking to compete now. If you're starting a Trask or Jones, you're not competing now.

 

I'm not saying we won't draft a QB, but if we do, we'll likely also sign or trade for a starter as well.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

Thinking of who would be there at 21. Trask and Newman  will be. Not sure about Mac jones. Not sure which direction  Ballard  will go.

Nah brother we need a LT... Don’t you have memories of Andrew Luck running for his life?  Or am I the only one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Everyone makes a list of the candidates you want 

 

1. Lance or Jones

2. Stafford 

 

Thats it for mine now 

Eason, Lance, Wilson, Newman,  trask. Stafford, Carr

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my updated preferrences:

 

1. Go get a high level talent from the draft. If you need to trade up - trade up! 

2. Wentz (if the price is right)

3. Stafford 

4. Darnold? (if the price is right 3d or lower)

5. Matt Ryan? 

6. Carr/Garappolo type

7.... Mariota/Winston type?

8. Brissett? I guess? 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He looked broken. Like a guy who can't do it anymore. Further down the rabbit hole than a funk.

 

This does happen to athletes. 

 

I just watched a bunch of him, with coaches film. I'm gonna make a separate post, maybe later today. He had some physical and likely some mental issues in 2020, but there was a lot going on with the Eagles. For him to get back to playing well, he has to make some serious corrections, but I don't see a broken QB. I see a guy who hasn't been coached in a couple years.

 

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If Phillie wants to keep Wentz, then maybe we can get Hurts? :)

 

Don't want Hurts. I think it's crazy to want Hurts, while writing off Wentz...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

Nah brother we need a LT... Don’t you have memories of Andrew Luck running for his life?  Or am I the only one?

If Eason is the guy you got Lt in the first. Otherwise you go qb and tradecup for a Lt using next years first and a 2nd

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stephen said:

If Eason is the guy you got Lt in the first. Otherwise you go qb and tradecup for a Lt using next years first and a 2nd

With Ballard not wanting to committ to Eason being even the backup right now, IMO the chance Eason is the guy is not very high. At least not next year. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

The thing everyone seems to be missing is, even if we draft a qb this year, we're not starting them year 1, unless its Fields, Wilson or Lawrence. Not happening. Did we not see how Ballard spoke about drafting QBs? So even if he does go grab a Trask, or a Jones, this team is looking to compete now. If you're starting a Trask or Jones, you're not competing now.

 

I'm not saying we won't draft a QB, but if we do, we'll likely also sign or trade for a starter as well.

The next option is Eason or Brissett so yeah I would start the rookie 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here are my updated preferrences:

 

1. Go get a high level talent from the draft. If you need to trade up - trade up! 

2. Wentz (if the price is right)

3. Stafford 

4. Darnold? (if the price is right 3d or lower)

5. Matt Ryan? 

6. Carr/Garappolo type

7.... Mariota/Winston type?

8. Brissett? I guess? 

 

 

I think Stafford has four or five really good years left, and is playing well right now, so I have him ahead of Wentz. But he probably would cost more.

 

I don't want Darnold. For a late pick, sure, but in three years, he hasn't done anything in the NFL. I lean more toward him not ever being good.

 

If I had to guess, I'd say Matt Ryan goes nowhere. But physically, he can still play. Carr and Garappolo are good options, but have lower ceilings. No thanks on Mariota, Winston, or Brissett. I wouldn't even spend the staff's time on them as potential starters. I'd rather commit to one of your top three options and go get your guy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

The next option is Eason or Brissett so yeah I would start the rookie 

After hearing Ballard talk, I can't see how that would be option #2. I would be absolutely stunned if we go into next season not starting a veteran qb. STUNNED.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I knew you were going to pick him after the trade up and reading if you could pick now!  Good pick at 33!  
    • Didn't the Patriots extend Newton's contract for another year? It sounds like they intend to keep him as starter. 
    • I used TDN's Mock Draft Simulator and I tried to keep things as realistic as possible (not taking guys that oddly fall absurdly far). I double up on edge, but I think I hit needs without reaching.   Trade: Indy gave up picks 21 & 206 (6th) to Buffalo for picks 30, 93 (3rd), 161 (5th) - Buffalo traded up to take Azeez Ojulari.   30. Liam Eichenberg | OT, Notre Dame - I teetered between Eichenberg and Cosmi, but decided to go with the safer plug and play option. Next to Q, I think a guy with a high floor and and average ceiling will still do well.   58. Payton Turner | EDGE, Houston - Really good edge prospect that may not be an instant contributor, but has all of the physical attributes we look for (size, length, explosiveness) and has a solid foundation to build from. After seeing an interview with him on the PFF YT channel, I think he also has the right mindset.   93. Trill Williams | CB, Syracuse - A prototypical CB for our defense. He's got the size, length, and speed we look for in our CB's. He can play outside, as well as in the slot against smaller, shiftier WR's. He can also lay a hit and is known for his knack for stripping the ball (in HS, he literally ripped the ball out of the ball carrier's hands right before they crossed the goal line and took it the other way).   127. Chris Rumph II | EDGE, Duke - After taking a pass rusher that checks our usual boxes, I veered a bit and went for more of a designated pass rusher in Rumph. He's 6'3" 244lb (think Leonard Floyd) and actually played in the 220's last season (he cited lack of regular facilities due to Covid, but has since been putting in work at EXOS). He's got the length with 33.75" arms and is an explosive athlete with great bend/flexibility. His dad is also a long time HS, college, and now NFL coach (Bears). He has some technical pieces to nail down and needs to get stronger/put on some more weight, but I think he would be a perfect rotational piece initially to add some speed off the edge.   131. Josh Imatorbhebhe | WR, Illinois - One of my favorite later round WR's. He's a raw from a route running perspective, but has size, good speed, and can out jump literally any CB on the field. He could just be a RZ guy initially, but with good coaching & development, could be special. He reminds me a lot of AJ Brown, just not as polished.   165. Bobby Brown III |IDL, Texas A&M - Dude is a brick wall and actually moves really well for his size. He can play either DT spot on our line, can play both the run and rush the passer pretty will, and while he could go higher than this, his questionable motor has me thinking he'll fall a bit. I think playing with Buckner and Stewart should rub off on him and I'd be willing to take the gamble at this point in the draft.   248. Zach Davidson | TE, Central Missouri - A small school TE (6'6" 240) that is more of a move TE than anything. He reminds me a bit of Dan Arnold in that he doesn't offer much in the way of blocking ability, but he's athletic and gives you a TE that can help in the receiving game. He definitely needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger, but I have faith in our coaching staff's ability to develop TE's. He also gives you the bonus of doubling as your back-up punter, as he played both positions in college.
    • Jets and @Archer on the clock till 710 Falcons and @jvan1973 on deck at 710-715
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...