Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

Darnold is an interesting option. It’s a gamble for sure. If his ceiling is what we’ve seen with the Jets then it would be the Jacoby season all over again, if not worse.

Honestly, I think the best bet for Darnold was to sit a year behind a guy like Phil. A vet who can help him do a hard reset on everything he’s done so far and set an example of success for him to follow. Then they could work him into games periodically like they did Brissett to really get a safe look at whether there’s anything there worth pursuing, or if the Jets just plain ruined him. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Darnold is an interesting option. It’s a gamble for sure. If his ceiling is what we’ve seen with the Jets then it would be the Jacoby season all over again, if not worse.

Honestly, I think the best bet for Darnold was to sit a year behind a guy like Phil. A vet who can help him do a hard reset on everything he’s done so far and set an example of success for him to follow. Then they could work him into games periodically like they did Brissett to really get a safe look at whether there’s anything there worth pursuing, or if the Jets just plain ruined him. 

The problem with that is Darnold has a 5th year $25m option, so bringing him to sit, would put us in almost the same position as we are with Eason. Not knowing what we have 

Im all for bringing in Darnold and his $4.7m contract. Would allow us to keep our own and add a few other options, and we might luck out and Darnold be the future QB. Cheap gamble on our end. Low risk potential high reward.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

Jeffrey Lurie picked Wentz over Pederson

He's not going anywhere

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Well at least we have like $70M in cap space now :peek:

We do, but we also have about 15 free agents and we have 0 QBs besides Eason under contract, we have no LT, we have serious needs at DE, CB, WR... possibly TE? 

And we have Leonard, Quenton and Braden in last year of cheap rookie deals. Those 70M will fly out the window quicker than we can imagine. 

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Pretty much expecting a trade for Wentz...well, not expecting it, but it seems like the predictable move...Reich familiarity, lower trade value than Stafford or whoever, a risky move but not one that tanks Reich/Ballard if it doesn’t pan out.

From what I'm getting one of the reasons they fired Pederson was because they want to keep and resuscitate Wentz. Seems like their relationship was irreparable and Pederson wanted to move on from Wentz, while Roseman and the FO couldn't see a good path for it so they want to give him one more shot with a restart with different coach. 

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

dumb and dumber vomit GIF

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Spaced that about Peterson/Wentz. That’s been reported right? I mean, I’ve heard the rumors, just haven’t gone out of my way to see who said it, Rap/Schefter/Pelissero/etc.

That’s fine with me though. My personal hope is Stafford or a trade up.

Pick trask

With Rivers retiring, I'm expecting Ballard to make a push to trade a 3rd round pick or so to get Matthew Stafford, if Detroit makes him available and they wanna rebuild with a young QB. 

A lot of what Ballard does will show his hand on what he thinks of Jacob Eason longterm. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one that's writing off Wentz knows what they're talking about. 

Wentz contract would need a massive overhaul for me to even consider him a solid option. Right now I would give a 5th tops.

If the Colts trade him for a 1 or 2 it will be one of the dumbest things Ballard has done. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With Rivers retiring, I'm expecting Ballard to make a push to trade a 3rd round pick or so to get Matthew Stafford, if Detroit makes him available and they wanna rebuild with a young QB. 

A lot of what Ballard does will show his hand on what he thinks of Jacob Eason longterm. 

It will take more than a 3 to land Stafford. Most likely a 1!

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Strongly disagree..

Dude looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet this year, couldn't read a defense (I think that was Reich's job, scheming up stuff so that the reads weren't terribly difficult) and was chucking INT's like it was going out of style.

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into it personally

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Wentz contract would need a massive overhaul for me to even consider him a solid option. Right now I would give a 5th tops.

If the Colts trade him for a 1 or 2 it will be one of the dumbest things Ballard has done. 

How much cap would Wentz take in 2021 if traded to the Colts?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Strongly disagree..

Dude looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet this year, couldn't read a defense (I think that was Reich's job, scheming up stuff so that the reads weren't terribly difficult) and was chucking INT's like it was going out of style.

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into personally

I think you're mistaken, and your synopsis makes me think you haven't actually watched him. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I totally get why they’d go after him. It’s kind of a low risk high reward move IMO. It’s not like trading up for a rookie risk level at least.

Plus, if it comes down to Wentz or possibly running it back with JB, which doesn’t seem out of the question, please gimme Wentz.

Just now, Superman said:

I think you're mistaken, and your synopsis makes me think you haven't actually watched him. 

Yeah, I just made it up

I'm going to stick with the polite "strongly disagree"

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Strongly disagree..

huge gamble on a rehab.. Not into personally

Last year was an obvious outlier in Wentz' career. He definitely was in a mental funk, but make no mistake... he is an extremely talented QB who has the ability and skill to be one of the best in the league. Just an example last year he had 3.4% INT%, That's double his INT% for the rest of his 4 year career. The previous 3 years it was 1.2%, 1.6% and 1.7%. which were some of the best in the league. To me last year is pretty clear aberration rather than the norm. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not saying you made it up. I'm sure you saw some Eagles games where Wentz didn't look good. There's more to an evaluation than that, though.

He looked broken. Like a guy who can't do it anymore. Further down the rabbit hole than a funk.

This does happen to athletes. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pretty much nothing if overthecap numbers are correct(about 1M), This is part of the reason it makes it really bad for Philly to trade him - they still have to keep paying him tons of money. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Pretty much nothing if overthecap numbers are correct(about 1M), This is part of the reason it makes it really bad for Philly to trade him - they still have to keep paying him tons of money. 

If they were to trade him, it would break up the unpaid bonus money. I think I know what the cap would be to the Colts, just wondering if others are paying attention, or just assume he's a $35m QB if traded.

The thing everyone seems to be missing is, even if we draft a qb this year, we're not starting them year 1, unless its Fields, Wilson or Lawrence. Not happening. Did we not see how Ballard spoke about drafting QBs? So even if he does go grab a Trask, or a Jones, this team is looking to compete now. If you're starting a Trask or Jones, you're not competing now.

I'm not saying we won't draft a QB, but if we do, we'll likely also sign or trade for a starter as well.

Just now, Stephen said:

Thinking of who would be there at 21. Trask and Newman  will be. Not sure about Mac jones. Not sure which direction  Ballard  will go.

Nah brother we need a LT... Don’t you have memories of Andrew Luck running for his life?  Or am I the only one?

Here are my updated preferrences:

1. Go get a high level talent from the draft. If you need to trade up - trade up! 

2. Wentz (if the price is right)

3. Stafford 

4. Darnold? (if the price is right 3d or lower)

5. Matt Ryan? 

6. Carr/Garappolo type

7.... Mariota/Winston type?

8. Brissett? I guess? 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He looked broken. Like a guy who can't do it anymore. Further down the rabbit hole than a funk.

This does happen to athletes. 

I just watched a bunch of him, with coaches film. I'm gonna make a separate post, maybe later today. He had some physical and likely some mental issues in 2020, but there was a lot going on with the Eagles. For him to get back to playing well, he has to make some serious corrections, but I don't see a broken QB. I see a guy who hasn't been coached in a couple years.

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If Phillie wants to keep Wentz, then maybe we can get Hurts? :)

Don't want Hurts. I think it's crazy to want Hurts, while writing off Wentz...

2 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

Nah brother we need a LT... Don’t you have memories of Andrew Luck running for his life?  Or am I the only one?

If Eason is the guy you got Lt in the first. Otherwise you go qb and tradecup for a Lt using next years first and a 2nd

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

If Eason is the guy you got Lt in the first. Otherwise you go qb and tradecup for a Lt using next years first and a 2nd

With Ballard not wanting to committ to Eason being even the backup right now, IMO the chance Eason is the guy is not very high. At least not next year. 

6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

The thing everyone seems to be missing is, even if we draft a qb this year, we're not starting them year 1, unless its Fields, Wilson or Lawrence. Not happening. Did we not see how Ballard spoke about drafting QBs? So even if he does go grab a Trask, or a Jones, this team is looking to compete now. If you're starting a Trask or Jones, you're not competing now.

I'm not saying we won't draft a QB, but if we do, we'll likely also sign or trade for a starter as well.

The next option is Eason or Brissett so yeah I would start the rookie 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here are my updated preferrences:

1. Go get a high level talent from the draft. If you need to trade up - trade up! 

2. Wentz (if the price is right)

3. Stafford 

4. Darnold? (if the price is right 3d or lower)

5. Matt Ryan? 

6. Carr/Garappolo type

7.... Mariota/Winston type?

8. Brissett? I guess? 

I think Stafford has four or five really good years left, and is playing well right now, so I have him ahead of Wentz. But he probably would cost more.

I don't want Darnold. For a late pick, sure, but in three years, he hasn't done anything in the NFL. I lean more toward him not ever being good.

If I had to guess, I'd say Matt Ryan goes nowhere. But physically, he can still play. Carr and Garappolo are good options, but have lower ceilings. No thanks on Mariota, Winston, or Brissett. I wouldn't even spend the staff's time on them as potential starters. I'd rather commit to one of your top three options and go get your guy.

Archived