Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

You guys have to remember, Stafford is only 33. He can play probably 5 more years and be good. If he was 37 years old or older I would be against trading for him. I was for the Rivers signing even with him being 38, we didn't have to trade for him and to me is a Hall of Famer so I had a feeling we would make the playoffs at worse with him.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Actually, Ballard should wait till the combine and see how things go, and that would be a good time to talk face to face with the Lions' GM and head coach. 

There is no combine. It’s been cancelled. Each player will now have their pro day on campus. Scouts can be there but if a team can’t represent then video will be provided. No in person interviews either.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There's a person on Reddit claiming to be ACs neighbor. He said AC told em Colts are likely to go after a veteran to fill one of the holes at either QB or OL.

No specifics were given but knowing Ballard it's probably QB

On JMV he was told that they will be looking for a veteran at QB.  The problem is you have to have a willing partner. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

On JMV he was told that they will be looking for a veteran at QB.  The problem is you have to have a willing partner. 

Trade wide thats most likely 

Carr 

Stafford 

Watson 

Wentz

FA 

Fitzpatrick 

Winston 

Trubisky 

Which do you guys like?

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Trade wide thats most likely 

Carr 

Stafford 

Watson 

Wentz

FA 

Fitzpatrick 

Winston 

Trubisky 

Which do you guys like?

I like Stafford and I’d take Wentz as well.

I’ve spoken with a number of Philly fans and did my own researching and it seems a lot of his issues have had more to do with the team around him.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

I like Stafford and I’d take Wentz as well.

I’ve spoken with a number of Philly fans and did my own researching and it seems a lot of his issues have had more to do with the team around him.

The issue with Wentz is 2 things 

His contract and he's often injured 

I'm thinking they may make a move for Trubisky. Not sure how I feel about that. But he has experience AND talent. You just have to figure out how to play to his strengths. I think we can take Wentz off the board now that Philly is hiring Siriani. 

man. this is a tough off-season.

Hey, just thought of something. Nobody has brought up Chad Kelly's name :) Actually, he might be a stealth sign to bolster the roster.

16 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The issue with Wentz is 2 things 

His contract and he's often injured 

I think the contract can be worked around. Injuries are a concern though.

Seem like it won’t matter though since Philly got Nick and I doubt they ship Wentz off now.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

I think the contract can be worked around. Injuries are a concern though.

Seem like it won’t matter though since Philly got Nick and I doubt they ship Wentz off now.

That's for the best chances are Eagles are stuck with him for next year or so 

Here are the 2021 FA QB's. Obviously, some will be re-signed. Also a list of rumored QB's to trade for.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

From that list, it is debatable who will be available, and who might be considered viable. I think it is important to base your choices by matching it with the path...

(1) the Colts QB of the future,

(2) a medium term signing that helps our current age and team for a shot in the playoffs,

(3) a bridge QB for a couple of seasons

(4) a one year rental

(5) not good enough

(Listed by value of the last year of their contract 2020)

Dak Prescott - Will get re-signed by the Cowboys

Jacoby Brissett - (3)

Mitchell Trubisky - (3)

Ryan Fitzpatrick - (3)

Tyrod Taylor - (4)

A.J. McCarron - (5)

Andy Dalton - (3)

Colt McCoy - (4) just like to see Colt as a Colt :D

Jameis Winston - (2)

Nick Mullens - (3)

The rest on the list are (5) to me

QB's that are deemed likely to move and be available through a trade. I think it is important to base your choices by matching it with the path...

(1) out of the Colts range with the contracts they have due

(2) Would fit the bill as a 4-5 +year starter, but other desperate teams may raise his price too high

(3) high priced but would be a 4-5 +year starter to be our "all in" QB

(4) Affordable, with warts as a  4-5 +year starter

Deshaun Watson - (1) Besides, he is not getting traded into the same division

Matthew Stafford - (2/3) New Regime....trade?

Matt Ryan - (2/3) New Regime....trade? Uglier contract than Staffords

Derek Carr - (2/3) Will most likely get re-signed

Mitch Trubisky - (4)

Sam Darnold - (4)

Carson Wentz - (4)

Marcus Mariota - (4)

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Wentz stays in phili what would you guys think of Hurts if they made him available. He has nfl games now where you can get a good idea of what he can do. Seems like a guy that would fit reichs offense.

I would offer a 4th for him.

I would consider a 3rd but nothing higher 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Question just kind of a hypothetical. Would you rather have Stafford or make a trade with them for the 7th pick. That 7th pick could get you Lance or maybe move up again for Wilson.

I would rather have the 7th pick granted they don't have to give up like 3 1s or something insane. I would take that and draft Lance. 

I think we are definitely getting a vet. Based on my hearing of Ballard. He said we like Eason but we havent seen enough of him. So does it make sense based on his comments that we will be drafting a QB high or if at all this year. Why? Because that would just be another guy who they havent seen play enough on the NFL level to be confident. I think they want somebody they feel pretty confident can come in and lead the team right now. And then a guy behind that guy who they can take the necessary time to develop. That could be Eason or another draft pick. Ballard didnt sound in a hurry to give up everything for a QB in round 1.

20 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

There's a person on Reddit claiming to be ACs neighbor. He said AC told em Colts are likely to go after a veteran to fill one of the holes at either QB or OL.

No specifics were given but knowing Ballard it's probably QB

This isn't a terribly difficult prediction tbh. There's a reason I had a strong gut feeling that Rivers was going to be here last year before that idea had kind of taken off. Same reason I have a strong gut feeling it's going to be Stafford here. It's the easiest piece to fit into this and have relative confidence in what's going to happen (which is going to be a Super Bowl win, obviously).

I am sure Stafford hears all the rumors that he would be a great fit for the colts. His best buddy Dan Overlosky is even tweeting that the colts should go get him. We will see if that makes him go to their GM and ask for a trade.  I don’t think they will trade him unless he asks for one. We might be seeing the same thing we did with Buckner last year. We might not have a first round pick. I do think we will have to wait for the draft though. They aren’t trading him unless they get their QB in the draft. 

Watson will be a Jet if he's moved at all. Only the Jets can off the picks they would want, which would leave Darnold in play. Stafford will cost more than a #1 pick, much more. Ryan along with Julio Jones for our #1 might be good. Ryan is 37 and has a big contract, but both can give 2 good years at least. I'd still take Winston over all of them. 1, he's a FA so we wouldn't have to give up a pick. And 2, I think he matured enough to keep his head clear.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am sure Stafford hears all the rumors that he would be a great fit for the colts. His best buddy Dan Overlosky is even tweeting that the colts should go get him. We will see if that makes him go to their GM and ask for a trade.  I don’t think they will trade him unless he asks for one. We might be seeing the same thing we did with Buckner last year. We might not have a first round pick. I do think we will have to wait for the draft though. They aren’t trading him unless they get their QB in the draft. 

Bring TY back for 1 year at 10 Mill, Houston back for 1 year at 10 Mill, trade our 1st rounder for Stafford, draft a LT in round 2, edge rusher in round 3 and we are good. Of course Ballard probably won't do any of that but I love Ballard so whatever he does I trust. What I said does seem like a good plan though drunk homer simpson GIF

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be hard to get any FA WR without a QB.  A Stanford deal would need to be done before FA and that can’t happen. 

Yes it can.  Right at the start of FA.  Just like the two previous trades of our No 1's.  Agreed to before.  Consummated on the start of FA.  

Archived