Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am sure Stafford hears all the rumors that he would be a great fit for the colts. His best buddy Dan Overlosky is even tweeting that the colts should go get him. We will see if that makes him go to their GM and ask for a trade.  I don’t think they will trade him unless he asks for one. We might be seeing the same thing we did with Buckner last year. We might not have a first round pick. I do think we will have to wait for the draft though. They aren’t trading him unless they get their QB in the draft. 

Sure he has and I bet this is already in motion.  My guess is he will approach Mrs. Ford and she will understand his reasons and will get the trade in motion with her new GM.  I think that is their plan anyway.  Rebuild.  She will help him go where he wants to go.  I don't think they will wait for the draft.  They will receive our 1st pick at least.  They are already at 7 and they won't be getting Lawrence so if they need to use our picks to move up they can.  Ballard will not want to wait until the draft to get a QB.  That is asking for a disaster IMO.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't trade for a QB, Lance looks like he could be special. He looked much better in college than Eason did.

Some analysts have him going before us. He's hard to determine where he'll fall right now with the QB climate and such. A lot of free agency moves will influence GM decisions. I do like him. 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sure he has and I bet this is already in motion.  My guess is he will approach Mrs. Ford and she will understand his reasons and will get the trade in motion with her new GM.  I think that is their plan anyway.  Rebuild.  She will help him go where he wants to go.  I don't think they will wait for the draft.  They will receive our 1st pick at least.  They are already at 7 and they won't be getting Lawrence so if they need to use our picks to move up they can.  Ballard will not want to wait until the draft to get a QB.  That is asking for a disaster IMO.  

Giving up No.7 and their 2nd rounder (and our 3rd) should approximately allow the Lions to at least move from No. 7 to No. 3 with the Dolphins to get the QB they want knowing that they will have the Colts 1st (and still their own 3rd) for Stafford if it plays out that way. I know the values don't add up exactly but the NFL trade value chart is mainly a reference. I am sure the Dolphins, who already have a plethora of picks are not going to haggle over 100 points.

Just now, RollerColt said:

One think I really like about Stafford? He's really good with play-action. With Taylor setting up our run game, we could really do some damage on offense. 

I have always considered Stafford good, not necessarily very good or great but good and top 15 in the league for the most part. He has put up some monster numbers but hasn't won a lot, to me the not winning a lot is due to playing on the Lions.

I believe Stafford is the answer, but don’t see the Lions making a trade until they have confidence they can backfill with one of the highly rated draft QB’s.  Maybe a 3 team deal, with us getting Stafford, Lions trade up with the Jets using a combination of Colt and Lions draft picks.  Might cost us a 2021 first round or a multiple of other picks.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have always considered Stafford good, not necessarily very good or great but good and top 15 in the league for the most part. He has put up some monster numbers but hasn't won a lot, to me the not winning a lot is due to playing on the Lions.

It's give and take. There's been years where he's had a great supporting cast, but just unable to get it done. After his 41 touchdown season back in '11, he hasn't been able to put up similar numbers. Interceptions and bone-headed throws also have plagued him. That said, he's an interesting prospect for us. He's got the talent, skills, and athleticism to open up our offense. 

If we were to get him, I'll be focused on how we tailor our offense around him. There will be critics who ask if he can take us to a Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

It's give and take. There's been years where he's had a great supporting cast, but just unable to get it done. After his 41 touchdown season back in '11, he hasn't been able to put up similar numbers. Interceptions and bone-headed throws also have plagued him. That said, he's an interesting prospect for us. He's got the talent, skills, and athleticism to open up our offense. 

If we were to get him, I'll be focused on how we tailor our offense around him. There will be critics who ask if he can take us to a Super Bowl. 

I am not even sure he can take us to a SB but playoffs yes. Staying relevant is important eventhough winning the SB is the ultimate goal. 

Trying to find confirmation of this. Apparently there is a rumor that Ballard has been talking to GB about Love. It was on 1070 the fan. I don’t know if it was someone saying he needs to talk to them or if it’s a actual rumor he is. Love had a year behind Rodgers so that could be a option. Would you give up the 21st pick.

54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Giving up No.7 and their 2nd rounder (and our 3rd) should approximately allow the Lions to at least move from No. 7 to No. 3 with the Dolphins to get the QB they want knowing that they will have the Colts 1st (and still their own 3rd) for Stafford if it plays out that way. I know the values don't add up exactly but the NFL trade value chart is mainly a reference. I am sure the Dolphins, who already have a plethora of picks are not going to haggle over 100 points.

Possibly but I believe the Lions only have 5 total picks in this years draft.  We know they have their 1st but I don't know which two they're missing on picks 2-7.  That's why I think they will want a couple of picks from this years draft not just a team's 1st. 

45 minutes ago, Twistedcolt said:

I believe Stafford is the answer, but don’t see the Lions making a trade until they have confidence they can backfill with one of the highly rated draft QB’s.  Maybe a 3 team deal, with us getting Stafford, Lions trade up with the Jets using a combination of Colt and Lions draft picks.  Might cost us a 2021 first round or a multiple of other picks.

I could see that with the whole trade going down at the start of FA.  That was the day we traded back with the Jets.  That gives all the teams involved a brand new fixed starting point for the new season.  

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Possibly but I believe the Lions only have 5 total picks in this years draft.  We know they have their 1st but I don't know which two they're missing on picks 2-7.  That's why I think they will want a couple of picks from this years draft not just a team's 1st. 

1st rounder from this year plus this year’s 3rd rounder and next year’s 3rd rounder

OR

1st rounder from this year and next year’s 2nd rounder 

I’m thinking it would be along those lines.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1st rounder from this year plus this year’s 3rd rounder and next year’s 3rd rounder

OR

1st rounder from this year and next year’s 2nd rounder 

I’m thinking it would be along those lines

Yes that sounds right.  I think that's a win win for both sides. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Trying to find confirmation of this. Apparently there is a rumor that Ballard has been talking to GB about Love. It was on 1070 the fan. I don’t know if it was someone saying he needs to talk to them or if it’s a actual rumor he is. Love had a year behind Rodgers so that could be a option. Would you give up the 21st pick.

I hope so. Yes I would give up 21.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only issue with Lance is like Eason he has very little college experience.  We would need a vet for a year. In that case maybe Jacoby does come back.

That and playing at a small school like North Dakota State.

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I hope so. Yes I would give up 21.

If we go for Love, we are basically giving up on Eason and if we are doing that, I might as well take a flier on Darnold for a 2nd or 3rd that has a little more experience. Otherwise, it would be 1 rookie vs another. I'd rather have someone with experience for Eason to compete with.

Essentially, I would give up a 1st rounder only for a vet like Stafford or Carr, just like we gave up a 1st rounder for Buckner last year, should net us 4 good years, IMO.

It would be hillarious if Love ended up here after all. Rodgers isn’t slowing down anytime soon. He takes care of his body and has 4 more years left at least and has said he wants to play into his 40’s. Maybe since Ballard had rivers signed he wasn’t going to give up any picks to move up but would of taken him in the second. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we go for Love, we are basically giving up on Eason and if we are doing that, I might as well take a flier on Darnold for a 2nd or 3rd that has a little more experience. Otherwise, it would be 1 rookie vs another. I'd rather have someone with experience for Eason to compete with.

Essentially, I would give up a 1st rounder only for a vet like Stafford or Carr, just like we gave up a 1st rounder for Buckner last year, should net us 4 good years, IMO.

Eason could still be a backup. Or think of it like this. They really liked Love but wasn’t going to give up picks up move up since they had rivers.  So it’s possible they liked him more then Eason. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would be hillarious if Love ended up here after all. Rodgers isn’t slowing down anytime soon. He takes care of his body and has 4 more years left at least and has said he wants to play into his 40’s. Maybe since Ballard had rivers signed he wasn’t going to give up any picks to move up but would of taken him in the second. 

Love is expendable I would like to get him.

I would love to get him i see what you did there GIF

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is precedence for this kind of move. Brett Favre was the #33 overall pick in 92, had 0 completions on 4 attempts, then was traded to the Packers for a 1st round pick in 92(19 overall). It all comes down to the grade that Ballard had on Love coming in. And it doesn't mean Eason is immediately out, you make it an open competition.

14 minutes ago, ColtV said:

There is precedence for this kind of move. Brett Favre was the #33 overall pick in 92, had 0 completions on 4 attempts, then was traded to the Packers for a 1st round pick in 92(19 overall). It all comes down to the grade that Ballard had on Love coming in. And it doesn't mean Eason is immediately out, you make it an open competition.

They could compete but giving up that 21st pick or a second rounder would be a steep price to pay for competition. I think they would only do it with the expectation Love was the future starter.  You are right about Ballard’s grade. If he had a second round grade then giving up a second round pick seams reasonable. 21st might be a little high but because we pick so late they might want that one instead of the 42nd.

Lets pretend this happened. Ballard will look like a damn genius. Not that he planned it but he got two second rounders last draft and ends up with the guy he wanted all along. All while having rivers lead the team to a 11-5 record and the playoffs. Not sure this will happen but you can’t rule out anything.

Archived