Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

E J Speed

dw49

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I believe they have future plans for him to see the field more. Probably after Anthony Walker leaves if that happens. Or he could start at Sam over Adams. Ive wanted to see him at MLB.

Still a little surprised we've seen Franklin over Speed in terms of snaps. I thought Speed might get some time when Leonard was out, but it was Franklin that got those injury snaps, and Franklin who gets a few here and there.

I wouldn't mind Indy drafting another MLB in the 3rd-ish round. Oke's taken a step back so far, and Walker is still Walker. 

I was really happy with the rotation we had last year with Walker playing run downs and Oke on passing downs. Both graded pretty well. Now Oke has dropped off big time. He's in the middle 40s PFF wise. Last year he was a liability at times vs the run, but good vs the pass. Now he's struggling big time vs the pass. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Still a little surprised we've seen Franklin over Speed in terms of snaps. I thought Speed might get some time when Leonard was out, but it was Franklin that got those injury snaps, and Franklin who gets a few here and there.

I wouldn't mind Indy drafting another MLB in the 3rd-ish round. Oke's taken a step back so far, and Walker is still Walker. 

I was really happy with the rotation we had last year with Walker playing run downs and Oke on passing downs. Both graded pretty well. Now Oke has dropped off big time. He's in the middle 40s PFF wise. Last year he was a liability at times vs the run, but good vs the pass. Now he's struggling big time vs the pass. 

They also made 44 a captain of ST. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Re: Oke,  he see's and reacts versus read and react, he seems to lack vision and instinct which is what you can see on his college film as well.  He's has great physical traits and low football IQ.  Very impressive in make up plays down the field, very rarely makes a play at or behind the line v the run.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:46 AM, Rally5 said:

Re: Oke,  he see's and reacts versus read and react, he seems to lack vision and instinct which is what you can see on his college film as well.  He's has great physical traits and low football IQ.  Very impressive in make up plays down the field, very rarely makes a play at or behind the line v the run.

Not sure if it's low football IQ or just lacking in instinct. Last year his biggest issue was vs the run, and especially in traffic. 

This year, not sure why he's dropped off?

This year he's given up 33 completions on 40 (82.5%) targets. Last year 26/33 (74.3%) all year. 

Guessing teams are picking on him a bit having last year's film. He's just looked really out of place a few times.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if it's low football IQ or just lacking in instinct. Last year his biggest issue was vs the run, and especially in traffic. 

This year, not sure why he's dropped off?

This year he's given up 33 completions on 40 (82.5%) targets. Last year 26/33 (74.3%) all year. 

Guessing teams are picking on him a bit having last year's film. He's just looked really out of place a few times.

I just see a guy who's often late to react.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:36 AM, twfish said:

I've been a big fan of speed ever since seeing him in training camp. I think he has massive potential but he was incredibly raw coming out of Tarlton state. I look to see more from him next year, kinda Grover Stewart esque imho

That is kind of my thought on Speed.  Small school guy, with great physical traits just like Grover.  

We'll see what Walker asks for come FA, but I won't be shocked if we see him elsewhere next year and see Speed on the field a lot more often.  

From this article: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/02/indianapolis-colts-news-ej-speed-working-ground-up/

"

Linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi told Colts.com that the team is essentially building Speed from scratch.

“Yeah, E.J. is an interesting guy because physically you’re not going to find a guy that’s better than E.J., just in terms of size, speed. E.J. loves football. He loves to play. E.J. just needs to continue to develop,” said Borgonzi. “He’s from a small college, played offense in high school, played offense early in college. So just being a linebacker is relatively new to E.J. So we’re working really from the ground up and E.J.’s working really hard. He’s committed to football. He wants to be a really good player in this league, so the sky’s the limit for E.J.”

"

On 11/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, CurBeatElite said:

That is kind of my thought on Speed.  Small school guy, with great physical traits just like Grover.  

We'll see what Walker asks for come FA, but I won't be shocked if we see him elsewhere next year and see Speed on the field a lot more often.  

From this article: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/02/indianapolis-colts-news-ej-speed-working-ground-up/

"

Linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi told Colts.com that the team is essentially building Speed from scratch.

“Yeah, E.J. is an interesting guy because physically you’re not going to find a guy that’s better than E.J., just in terms of size, speed. E.J. loves football. He loves to play. E.J. just needs to continue to develop,” said Borgonzi. “He’s from a small college, played offense in high school, played offense early in college. So just being a linebacker is relatively new to E.J. So we’re working really from the ground up and E.J.’s working really hard. He’s committed to football. He wants to be a really good player in this league, so the sky’s the limit for E.J.”

"

I'd love to see Speed develop. To me he projects more outside than inside though at current weight/height. Pretty skinny for 6-3. Hoping he's packing on some good pounds with his S&C program if they are trying to project him to the middle. With his height, he'd be a nice MIKE if he can add 10-15lbs and still keep his athleticism. 

I am a little surprised we haven't seen him instead of Franklin getting defensive snaps. Especially when Leonard was out.

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

For a little bit of perspective, how cool is it that we’re talking about the development of a backup/special teams LB? Great indicator of how awesome our starting D is

IDK. Walker and Oke aren't all that great. Walker is a tackle machine as always but limited vs the pass, and Oke has take a step back and has looked flat at bad at times. We'll see how well the D looks vs GB. With their WRs gimpy, might look pretty good.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Walker and Oke aren't all that great. Walker is a tackle machine as always but limited vs the pass, and Oke has take a step back and has looked flat at bad at times. We'll see how well the D looks vs GB. With their WRs gimpy, might look pretty good.

I guess I’m looking at it compared to previous Colts LB corps in the past. Certainly the best Lb group we’ve had in the post-Manning era

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I guess I’m looking at it compared to previous Colts LB corps in the past. Certainly the best Lb group we’ve had in the post-Manning era

I loved the combo of Walker/Oke last year at Mike. This year, not so much. Wouldn't mind taking a 3rd round LBer depending on how other positions pan out. 

58 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I loved the combo of Walker/Oke last year at Mike. This year, not so much. Wouldn't mind taking a 3rd round LBer depending on how other positions pan out. 

Just out of curiosity is there anyone on the Colts roster that makes you glad he is a Colt?

It just seems no matter who is brought from Irsay to the water boy you find fault with. 

The NFL hasn't gotten to robots just yet. :dunno:

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity is there anyone on the Colts roster that makes you glad he is a Colt?

It just seems no matter who is brought from Irsay to the water boy you find fault with. 

The NFL hasn't gotten to robots just yet. :dunno:

I'm very happy with a lot of players, and happy they're all Colts. That said, I'm objective about everyone. When players play bad, it's relevant. 

Sorry if that triggers you. 

A message board is place were folks talk performance, compare, etc. You seem to be against all those core things. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm very happy with a lot of players, and happy they're all Colts. That said, I'm objective about everyone. When players play bad, it's relevant. 

Sorry if that triggers you. 

A message board is place were folks talk performance, compare, etc. You seem to be against all those core things. 

It's never what a player or coach does with you. it's always what they didn't do. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's never what a player or coach does with you. it's always what they didn't do. 

I'm plenty positive about a lot of players. You just don't notice. I can also be both complimentary of a player, yet critical of parts of their game. Sorry if that bothers you. I'm not a sunshine pumper. If critiquing with fact and data bothers you, you might be in the wrong place.

Anyway, I thought you said you were putting me on your ignore list... lol. 

Oh well. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm plenty positive about a lot of players. You just don't notice. I can also be both complimentary of a player, yet critical of parts of their game. Sorry if that bothers you. I'm not a sunshine pumper. If critiquing with fact and data bothers you, you might be in the wrong place.

Anyway, I thought you said you were putting me on your ignore list... lol. 

Oh well. 

Example:: You never end with your criticism of Reich but yet the announcers and sports reporters think he is an excellent coach. You push a narrative that we have a bad head coach when we don't. 

Example:: Matt Eberflus was on your hit list but yet he has one of the top rated defenses in the league. He is brought up as a head coach material by those who know football. 

Hell, you are even still bringing up the Jags game like it happened last week. 

You are confusing being objective with being critical. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Example:: You never end with your criticism of Reich but yet the announcers and sports reporters think he is an excellent coach. You push a narrative that we have a bad head coach when we don't. 

Example:: Matt Eberflus was on your hit list but yet he has one of the top rated defenses in the league. He is brought up as a head coach material by those who know football. 

Hell, you are even still bringing up the Jags game like it happened last week. 

You are confusing being objective with being critical. 

LOL... You must live in a bubble if you think I'm the only one critical of Reich at times. Reich was critical of himself in September. The Indy Star was critical of him 2 weeks ago. Local radio has discussed his play calling. And lots of folks on the board have been critical. 

I like Eberflus for the most part. I'm critical of his near league low blitz %, and his overuse of soft zone at time. That overuse made Minshew look like surgeon, and let Jackson get going in the passing game late when it mattered. I also wonder how much of his conservative approach is due to Reich, as he comes from much less conservative places like Dallas, and Missouri. You probably don't know that though... 

Sounds like you need a safe space. Feel free to put me on ignore. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL... You must live in a bubble if you think I'm the only one critical of Reich at times. Reich was critical of himself in September. The Indy Star was critical of him 2 weeks ago. Local radio has discussed his play calling. And lots of folks on the board have been critical. 

I like Eberflus for the most part. I'm critical of his near league low blitz %, and his overuse of soft zone at time. That overuse made Minshew look like surgeon, and let Jackson get going in the passing game late when it mattered. I also wonder how much of his conservative approach is due to Reich, as he comes from much less conservative places like Dallas, and Missouri. You probably don't know that though... 

Sounds like you need a safe space. Feel free to put me on ignore. 

You act like you are the only one in this forum who knows anything. 

I bring up I think you confuse objectivity with criticism and now you throw shade at my knowledge? 

Arrogance suits you well. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

You act like you are the only one in this forum who knows anything. 

I bring up I think you confuse objectivity with criticism and now you throw shade at my knowledge? 

Arrogance suits you well. 

There are plenty of knowledgeable folks on the board. There are a lot who aren't. It's like all boards.

Apologies for knowing most of our players and coaches backgrounds...

Again, feel free to put me on ignore. It's obvious you get triggered easily, and if you can't handle even player comparisons, or folks being critical of performance, or play calling, then there's not much value in debating things with you.

Archived