Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Backup Quarterback

alfred87

Id pick him up as a free agent nothing more at this point, if they throw in a mid round draft pick which I doubt they would I would throw Freeny in the deal for cap relief, other then that, Im not payin nothing for him

Drew Stanton would be better going forward, but for right now, I'd like Charlie Batch. Still pretty productive and can help teach Luck the offense. Would be cheap too, so I think it's a win win with Batch.

o

I'd rather us just sign a free agent than trade something to get Stanton. Not because I don't like Stanton but I don't think he's a guy we should trade for and give something up when we can just sign someone and only have to give up money.

exactly what we should do, just sign a free agent, who knows if they cant find a deal they want then maybe he will be a free agent

I think Orlovsky signed with TB, but he would be adequate if not.

Signing someone like Delhomme (if he had a short contract with Houston) to guide whoever we draft might not be a bad idea.

What's Bruce Gradkowski doing?

I believe Gradkowski is still under contract to back up Dalton in Cincy.This may sound crazy, but if he drops far enough, maybe the Colts draft a guy like Kellen Moore to be a backup.

I think Orlovsky signed with TB, but he would be adequate if not.

Signing someone like Delhomme (if he had a short contract with Houston) to guide whoever we draft might not be a bad idea.

What's Bruce Gradkowski doing?

I believe Gradkowski is still under contract to back up Dalton in Cincy.This may sound crazy, but if he drops far enough, maybe the Colts draft a guy like Kellen Moore to be a backup.

The idea of getting a veteran to help Luck learn the offense is a myth. They have offensive coordinators and QB coaches to do that. If Batch can help teach him the offense, don't pay him $1m that goes against the cap, hire him as an assistant coach for a fraction of that amount.

Get someone that can be here 3 or 4 yrs, not a guy trying to squeeze out one more year of a paycheck.

we shouldnt have to be drafting two quarterbacks in one draft if we kept Orlovsky

I don't think we will be. Generally for a rookie QB you want a vet QB for a couple of reasons he can help teach the rookie. The other is the vet should be ready to play and wont need time to get ready so you can give the snaps to the rookie to help the rookie progress. If you have two rookies you now have two QBs you have to get ready to play and bring along. It's hard enough to bring one along let alone two.

I think the Colts are waiting on the final decision to be made between Luck and RG3 to pick the back up QB. You want a back up who is sorta like your starter and Luck and RG3 are different style of QBs.

we shouldnt have to be drafting two quarterbacks in one draft if we kept Orlovsky

Who said we would be, there are some good QBs that could and probably will end up being undrafted and with Grigson love towards QB scouting, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought several guys in, like John Brantley. Also, the Colts still have a month before the draft and they could easily sign/trade for some backups like Batch, Stanton, Hanie, or even Kevin O'Connell.

Who said we would be, there are some good QBs that could and probably will end up being undrafted and with Grigson love towards QB scouting, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought several guys in, like John Brantley. Also, the Colts still have a month before the draft and they could easily sign/trade for some backups like Batch, Stanton, Hanie, or even Kevin O'Connell.

Please not Hanie!

Please not Hanie!

I know he had a bad end to the year, but keep in mind he had a beat up O-line, no running back and a team that looked not motivated. That's a lot of pressure on a QB. I still look at him as a player with potential. I never said I wanted him, but I'm just throwing out the idea of him potentially coming to Indy.

Does anybody other than me really like Gred Mcelroy. Guy has a great head on his shoulders. With Tebow playing in NY it looks like he is a prime candidate to be released. Plus the way he has spoke out about their locker room it shows he has some balls.

THANK YOU!!! I said that the Colts should have drafted him in the 6th round last year, but people gave me crap for it, and even with his impressive preseason, ppl still kept giving me crap. He's extremely smart, has a good accurate arm and has tons of potential. We'll just never get to see it since he's with the Jets and he's a 3rd stringer.

Drew Stanton would be better going forward, but for right now, I'd like Charlie Batch. Still pretty productive and can help teach Luck the offense. Would be cheap too, so I think it's a win win with Batch.

Batch would be a great backup, now that I think about it. He is a decent player and has played in Arians' system for a while

The backup QB does not necessarily have to be an either-or (rookie vs. veteran) scenario. The Colts could sign a veteran FA QB and also draft a late rounder like Brock Osweiler / Nick Foles / Russell Wilson. Good insurance policy to carry 3 QBs during the season just in case (heaven forbid) Luck gets injured. If the backup rookie QB turns out to be halfway good during preseason games or garbage time or injury substitution...JACKPOT...future trade bait.

How many QBs do the Texans have? I thought they had 4-5 last year - most injured.

Matt Schaub -- IR, Foot

Matt Leinart -- IR, Collarbone

TJ Yates -- Injured one week, Finger (I think)

Jake Delhomme -- Signed mid-season

Jeff Garcia -- Signed mid-season

Kellen Clemens -- Signed and released mid season

They had 6 QBs who were active this season. The Packers had 2 :P

Matt Schaub -- IR, Foot

Matt Leinart -- IR, Collarbone

TJ Yates -- Injured one week, Finger (I think)

Jake Delhomme -- Signed mid-season

Jeff Garcia -- Signed mid-season

Kellen Clemens -- Signed and released mid season

They had 6 QBs who were active this season. The Packers had 2 :P

WOW it was up to 6 ... I remember seeing 4 or so of them sititng on the bench during the Playoffs - it was a super funny sight! I guess most of them are all washed up and ready to retire and Yates likely isnt going anywhere.

THANK YOU!!! I said that the Colts should have drafted him in the 6th round last year, but people gave me crap for it, and even with his impressive preseason, ppl still kept giving me crap. He's extremely smart, has a good accurate arm and has tons of potential. We'll just never get to see it since he's with the Jets and he's a 3rd stringer.

I'd love to have him in the team

The backup QB does not necessarily have to be an either-or (rookie vs. veteran) scenario. The Colts could sign a veteran FA QB and also draft a late rounder like Brock Osweiler / Nick Foles / Russell Wilson. Good insurance policy to carry 3 QBs during the season just in case (heaven forbid) Luck gets injured. If the backup rookie QB turns out to be halfway good during preseason games or garbage time or injury substitution...JACKPOT...future trade bait.

But I really don't see them taking the 3rd QB in the later rounds, you pick one up as a UDFA.

According to ESPN. Drew Stanton was told when he signed he WILL be the number two for the Jets and they will not draft or trade for another QB. He would be nice pick up but I think we need a more "veteran" quarterback to sign as a back-up. A. Luck will need a mentor, so that rules out VY!!!

Does anybody other than me really like Gred Mcelroy. Guy has a great head on his shoulders. With Tebow playing in NY it looks like he is a prime candidate to be released. Plus the way he has spoke out about their locker room it shows he has some balls.

Great idea, I hope Grigson gets it too. He is smart and it's all that matters in my opinion.

I'll give Collins may have also been worse than Painter, but Hanie had a 41 passer rating compared to Painter and Collins that were in the mid-60's. I understand passer rating isn't a great way to judge a QB, but any way you slice it, a guy with 41 sucks.