Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL player opt out list

ColtsBlueFL

Under the amended collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, agreed to on July 24, players have the choice to opt out of the 2020 NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Current list -         (this will be amended as more data comes in)

Baltimore Ravens: KR De'Anthony Thomas, OL Andre Smith

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei, DB E.J. Gaines

Carolina Panthers: LB Jordan Mack

Chicago Bears: DT Eddie Goldman

Cincinnati Bengals: OL Isaiah Prince, DT Josh Tupou

Cleveland Browns: OL Drew Forbes, OL Drake Dorbeck

Dallas Cowboys: CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry

Denver Broncos: DT Kyle Peko

Detroit Lions: DT John Atkins

Green Bay Packers: WR Devin Funchess

Houston Texans: DT Eddie Vanderdoes

Jacksonville Jaguars: DE/LB Lerentee McCray, DT Al Woods

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, RB Damien Williams

Los Angeles Rams: OL Chandler Brewer

Minnesota Vikings: DT Michael Pierce

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran,  S Patrick Chung, TE Matt LaCosse, WR Marqise Lee, OL Marcus Cannon

New Orleans Saints: TE Cole Wick, TE Jason Vander Laan

New York Giants: Nate Solder, WR Da'Mari Scott

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi, LB C.J. Mosley

Seattle Seahawks: OL Chance Warmack

Tennessee Titans: OL Anthony McKinney

Washington Football Team: DE Caleb Brantley

Free Agent: Larry Warford

High risk opt out-

New England Patriots: OL Marcus Cannon

**Note: some players may not disclose they are considered high risk opt out eligible.**

Addendum- Players will have the ability to opt-out later in the season, as well, in the event that a family member becomes sick. Those that take the league up on their offer must provide the club with written notice of his election to opt out. Once given, the notice will be irrevocable for the remainder of the 2020 season

That's 8 Patriots so far, folks.

This is the Brady effect. Those guys know this was a rebuild year especially with Belichick not doing much to improve the team given the cap issues and signing broken down Cam on June 28. I don't blame them for opting out. Not worth the risk for what would be a 5-6 win season at best.

I am sure whoever wins the SB, will have a Covid asterisk next to it, given the lack of true HFA or road noise. Plus, teams with the least amount of turnover on the roster with steady veterans have a great chance of being able to be on the same page when there isn't much noise impacting their calls.

Chiefs on offense and defense, have not had a big turnover. Ravens, even if they did bring in new faces, they seem to be vets like Calais Campbell. In fact, the Chiefs and Saints return a whole lot of players and added an excellent #2 in Emmanuel Sanders, IMO. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Patrick Chung has a baby on the way, im sure hes not the only one in the league like that but its probably affecting his decision 

Agreed. The players wives will have major input.  This goes beyond player safety, it affects their complete family and even friends as well.

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

the closer we get to September, the more i think we will see more players opt out. Could be interesting.

All opt outs must be submitted in writing to their club within 7 days of the signed amended CBA agreement (which was 7/24/2020).  So players can't even wait until August, they have this week to make their choice.

43 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Is there a date players have to opt out by? Also is there contract on pause for a year or how does that work? 

Yes, by the end of 7/31/2020, as mentioned above.  To answer the rest, see here for details-

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed. The players wives will have major input.  This goes beyond player safety, it affects their complete family and even friends as well.

All opt outs must be submitted in writing to their club within 7 days of the signed amended CBA agreement (which was 7/24/2020).  So players can't even wait until August, they have this week to make their choice.

Yes, by the end of 7/31/2020, as mentioned above.  To answer the rest, see here for details-

Cool was not aware there was a date. 

If this list keeps growing there might be an opportunity for trades to suddenly take shape after 7/31.  Teams could reassess their rosters and decide they might need to shore up a suddenly weakened position group that they were not expecting.  Maybe we get a chance to trade a player.  You never know.  It's a strange year already.  

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am sure whoever wins the SB, will have a Covid asterisk next to it, given the lack of true HFA or road noise. Plus, teams with the least amount of turnover on the roster with steady veterans have a great chance of being able to be on the same page when there isn't much noise impacting their calls.

Chiefs on offense and defense, have not had a big turnover. Ravens, even if they did bring in new faces, they seem to be vets like Calais Campbell. In fact, the Chiefs and Saints return a whole lot of players and added an excellent #2 in Emmanuel Sanders, IMO. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

In basic football fan talk.. This would be a trash year to win it all. I'd honestly be sad winning the SB this year. No fans here, some fans there, probably have a 4-3 record and be champs..lol

Never thought I'd say just redshirt an NFL season. Side note, it sucks for us because Rivers isn't a spring chicken.

10 hours ago, IinD said:

Side note, it sucks for us because Rivers isn't a spring chicken.

I've done a lot of thinking on the aging athletes that potentially will lose a season here. I don't think it's a bad thing, and could potentially increase their lifespan in the league another year than had they played normally. The wear and tear a normal season has, physically on the shoulder and body blows, and especially mentally on an older quarterback has to be pushing them closer to retirement each year. Sitting out a year and recouping your body could extend it well past the year that was lost. That's my opinion of course. 

That's good for us if the case. Bad for Tom Brady haters.

10 hours ago, IinD said:

In basic football fan talk.. This would be a trash year to win it all. I'd honestly be sad winning the SB this year.

Yeah, I remember some years when star tennis players were fading away and new ones hadn't become stars yet, like Sampras, Agassi fading and Federer, Nadal etc. yet to come. Lleyton Hewitt, an Aussie, won Wimbledon in 2001. Right guy at the right time. That is how this year SB winning team might end up being known as. 

But then, if crowds get back up to 50% or more come playoff time, we might think different.

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I've done a lot of thinking on the aging athletes that potentially will lose a season here. I don't think it's a bad thing, and could potentially increase their lifespan in the league another year than had they played normally. The wear and tear a normal season has, physically on the shoulder and body blows, and especially mentally on an older quarterback has to be pushing them closer to retirement each year. Sitting out a year and recouping your body could extend it well past the year that was lost. That's my opinion of course. 

Ugh, you just made me consider if Luck hadn't decided to retire last year, but just toughed it out and sat out another year due to injury like 2017.

He would have had last year off to heal, and then possibly this year, too.  Then come back fully healthy and ready to go in 2021...

:hissy:

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ugh, you just made me consider if Luck hadn't decided to retire last year, but just toughed it out and sat out another year due to injury like 2017.

He would have had last year off to heal, and then possibly this year, too.  Then come back fully healthy and ready to go in 2021...

:hissy:

He didn't want to come back.  Let it go.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

LOL Devin Funchess.

10 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Devin Funchess missing another season. He's going to be out of shape in another year. lol

Yeah, when's the last time this dude played? Take the season off bud, matter of fact, take the rest of your life off bro? lol

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree. I think it helps some of the older guys to have a season off. That being said, I think Brees retires as he has his broadcasting gig waiting for him.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

I agree. I think it helps some of the older guys to have a season off. That being said, I think Brees retires as he has his broadcasting gig waiting for him.

It’s not likely going anywhere, unless he keeps misspeaking on social issues that are controversial. It’s kind of like Rivers HS coaching gig... they will wait as long as he needs to keep playing. Why wouldn’t they?

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I definitely get that line of thinking and agree mostly. I'm also afraid a guy like him has an entire year off with his 15 kids and decides, '# this I've made 100+M in my career, I'm done.' And back Indy goes to the QB carousel.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

I definitely get that line of thinking and agree mostly. I'm also afraid a guy like him has an entire year off with his 15 kids and decides, '# this I've made 100+M in my career, I'm done.' And back Indy goes to the QB carousel.

that could happen as well. But that could happen with every single player that has made 5 plus million. That’s more money in a short span than the average person can dream of making in a 30 plus year career. Obviously Andrew Luck did it. 

On 7/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Under the amended collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, agreed to on July 24, players have the choice to opt out of the 2020 NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran,  S Patrick Chung

New Orleans Saints: TE Cole Wick

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi

Washington Football Team: DL Caleb Brantley

High risk opt out-

That's 6 Patriots so far, folks.

Dang I personally know the kid from Tennessee Anthony. I played football and wrestled with him in high school. He’s a rookie this year, super surprised he is opt out of this year

Still no signed agreement revising the CBA

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/29/still-no-signed-agreement-revising-the-cba/

Excerpt:

The better news for players is that the deadline for opting out doesn’t arrive until seven days after the agreement is signed. As of now, it means that the earliest date on which players would face see the clock run out on opting out is Wednesday, August 5.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Still no signed agreement revising the CBA

Thank you for following up.

Wow, would have thought that would have been done not long after conditions were agreed upon (last Friday).  I wonder what the delay is?  Good for those players still mulling it over...

On 7/28/2020 at 12:05 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran,  S Patrick Chung

New Orleans Saints: TE Cole Wick

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi

Washington Football Team: DL Caleb Brantley

High risk opt out-

That's 6 Patriots so far, folks.

How do they determine exactly who is high-risk? To me, everyone on the OL and DL is high risk. 

Is Vikings Michael Pierce's opt-out in the high risk category? He said he has asthma, IIRC.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

(Are the Pats tanking for Lawrence?)  :thinking:

^^^ That is what Vikings fans wrote two days ago. Lol.

I completely support players' decision to opt out for their safety as well as the safety of those around them. It is odd, however, that the Patriots have so many more players opting out than any other team.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How do they determine who exactly is high-risk? To me, everyone on the OL and DL is high risk. 

Is the Vikings Michael Pierce high risk? He said he has asthma, IIRC.

Isn't playing football with asthma high risk anyways? lol

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is what Vikings fans wrote two days ago. Lol. I completely support players' decision to opt out for their safety as well as the safety of those around them. It is odd, however, that the Patriots have so many more players opting out than any other team.

and true.. even in a pandemic, the Patriots leading this "drop out" category is somehow planned. lol freaking hoodie...

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Isn't playing football with asthma high risk anyways? lol

Yes, I hear you but playing football has not killed them nor is there anything contagious about playing football that can directly harm the health of their families.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, I hear you but playing football has not killed them nor is there anything contagious about playing football that can directly harm the health of their families.

I'd say yes to Michael being high risk. I haven't seen my boss in 5 months because he has asthma; and he just sits all day..

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

How do they determine exactly who is high-risk? To me, everyone on the OL and DL is high risk. 

From the report I saw it stated (which was a modified version of the CDC list)-

"To be designated a higher-risk opt-out, a player must have a diagnosis reflected in their medical records of at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control

(CDC) risk factors list: cancer; chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease); immunocompromised state from solid organ transplant; serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies; sickle cell disease; type 2 diabetes mellitus; asthma; cerebrovascular disease; cystic fibrosis; hypertension or high blood pressure; immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines; neurologic conditions, such as dementia; liver disease; or pulmonary fibrosis."

Is Vikings Michael Pierce's opt-out in the high risk category? He said he has asthma, IIRC.

If his doctor has noted as such in his written medical records, then I believe, yes he qualifies. OTOH, note what is not in the NFL's modified (from the CDC) list. Those with BMI >30.  So it seems you are not high risk (in NFL terms) just because you play DL or OL.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:13 PM, csmopar said:

Cool was not aware there was a date. 

Evidently, there are now 3 dates. The day an agreement was reached, and players can begin to opt  out.  Next is when the agreement is signed (which is reportedly not yet happened), then the next is 7 days past that signing date where players can no longer opt out.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I completely support players' decision to opt out for their safety as well as the safety of those around them. {snip}

:thmup:

Here's an update for player opt out-

"Players will have the ability to opt-out later in the season, as well, in the event that a family member becomes sick. Those that take the league up on their offer must provide the club with written notice of his election to opt out. Once given, the notice will be irrevocable for the remainder of the 2020 season"

The original list has been updated with the latest player additions.

17 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s not likely going anywhere, unless he keeps misspeaking on social issues that are controversial. It’s kind of like Rivers HS coaching gig... they will wait as long as he needs to keep playing. Why wouldn’t they?

I think it is more Brees who is ready to move on. He was close to retirement last year. I think if this is season is cancelled he hangs it up and goes into broadcasting.

55 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

:thmup:

Here's an update for player opt out-

"Players will have the ability to opt-out later in the season, as well, in the event that a family member becomes sick. Those that take the league up on their offer must provide the club with written notice of his election to opt out. Once given, the notice will be irrevocable for the remainder of the 2020 season"

The original list has been updated with the latest player additions.

nice.  Still curious how contracts will work if they opt out.  What if this is the last year of their contract? 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

nice.  Still curious how contracts will work if they opt out.  What if this is the last year of their contract? 

Depends if non high risk  or high risk opt out.

Non high risk - A voluntary opt-out, and the player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season. The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract.

High risk - "A higher-risk opt-out player will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance."

Archived