Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks rates top NFL backup QB's for next season

Four2itus

article....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113388/article/nfls-top-backup-quarterbacks-plus-jarrett-stidhams-promise

.....1) Jacoby Brissett, Indianapolis Colts: Chris Ballard and Frank Reich might've replaced Brissett as the Colts' starter, but don't let his demotion diminish his performance and potential as a player. Prior to suffering an MCL injury midway through last season, Brissett was playing at a high level with a 14:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio on a team devoid of playmakers on the perimeter beyond T.Y. Hilton. Although Brissett's play slipped down the stretch, he has more than enough game to chalk up Ws as a spot starter surrounded by enough playmakers to enable him to manage the game.

I feel alot better with JB on the roster for this year.

Rivers hasnt missed many games in his career, but he’s only 1 hit away from needing a backup.  Especially at his age.

If Ballard is all in for this year as some think, its a smart move to have a more tgan capable backup.

With the cap hit affecting a trade, and relatively little savings from cutting, it makes sense.  After getting caught with his pants down over the surprising Luck retirement, he did say he wouldnt let it happen again. Going into 2020 with Eason and/or Kelly as the primary backup could be a repeat of just that.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

article....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113388/article/nfls-top-backup-quarterbacks-plus-jarrett-stidhams-promise

.....1) Jacoby Brissett, Indianapolis Colts: Chris Ballard and Frank Reich might've replaced Brissett as the Colts' starter, but don't let his demotion diminish his performance and potential as a player. Prior to suffering an MCL injury midway through last season, Brissett was playing at a high level with a 14:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio on a team devoid of playmakers on the perimeter beyond T.Y. Hilton. Although Brissett's play slipped down the stretch, he has more than enough game to chalk up Ws as a spot starter surrounded by enough playmakers to enable him to manage the game.

I have mixed feelings on the article.  I don’t see how JB is ranked higher than Dalton, Winston and Newton.   But...  either way it’s nice to see a professional show appreciation and respect to our guy.   JB is clearly a top-5 back up and NOT as one noted poster recently called him...   “soon to be flipping burgers...”

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have mixed feelings on the article.  I don’t see how JB is ranked higher than Dalton, Winston and Newton.   But...  either way it’s nice to see a professional show appreciation and respect to our guy.   JB is clearly a top-5 back up and NOT as one noted poster recently called him...   “soon to be flipping burgers...”

Why some people can't see the 14 TD's to 3 INT's ratio as being good is puzzling, we were 5-2 on top of it before he got injured as well. People on this site pile on this man like he is Curtis Painter. It is comical. Is he a franchise QB, I would say no but he doesn't suck either. People need to quit comparing him to what Peyton and Luck did, that is unfair. He is neither of them but he is average.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hear you but one thing Jacoby has going for him that the other QBs you named won’t is years of familiarity with the system.  Dalton, Newton and Winston may all be more talented but are also going to new teams where they will be facing somewhat of a learning curve.  Our guy is already ready to go and proven capable of helping the Colts win some games if needed.  Taking that into consideration I understand why Jacoby would be rated #1 on the list. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I hear you but one thing Jacoby has going for him that the other QBs you named won’t is familiarity with the system.  Dalton, Newton and Winston May all be more talented but are going to new teams and facing somewhat of a learning curve.  Our guy is already ready to go and proven capable of helping the Colts win some games if needed. 

Sorry...   I’m mistaken...   it wasn’t Newton, he doesn’t have a team yet.   the other two were Keenum and Mariotta.  

Still the point remains.  Brissett is a quality backup and a good fit for our team. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why some people can't see the 14 TD's to 3 INT's ratio as being good is puzzling, we were 5-2 on top of it before he got injured as well. People on this site pile on this man like he is Curtis Painter. It is comical. Is he a franchise QB, I would say no but he doesn't suck either. People need to quit comparing him to what Peyton and Luck did, that is unfair. He is neither of them but he is average.

That is the narrative some take when they must find a scape goat. 

It don't matter the circumstances of why things turned south for the Colts last season because they don't care. It's a lot easier to just point a finger at one person than actually look and understand the how and whys of things. 

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Rivers hasnt missed many games in his career...

I'm not arguing your main point, because you're right. But just so everyone knows, the next game Philip misses, if there ever is one, will be his first. Ever. In his entire life. High school, college and NFL.

That's right. He's never missed a game. At any level. Maybe some of you can, but I honestly don't know that I can justly even speak about that. It's utterly beyond my ability to identify with that. Heck, I miss work every year, and I sit at a desk developing software for a living. Not any behemoths crashing into and landing on me 20+ times a day doing that, either. As I nicknamed him early in his career, the guy is

The Human Terminator

Well of course. Just a reminder that Bucky Brooks wrote this during last season:

”This will be an unpopular opinion in the state of Indiana and beyond, but the Colts are a better team with Jacoby Brissett than they were with Andrew Luck as their QB1. Now, I know the Luck apologists will flood my Twitter timeline with all kinds of venom, but allow me to explain.”

Not only did he make this absolutely asinine comment...he then called anybody who would disagree a “Luck apologist.” # that guy.

10 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I'm not arguing your main point, because you're right. But just so everyone knows, the next game Philip misses, if there ever is one, will be his first. Ever. In his entire life. High school, college and NFL.

That's right. He's never missed a game. At any level. Maybe some of you can, but I honestly don't know that I can justly even speak about that. It's utterly beyond my ability to identify with that. Heck, I miss work every year, and I sit at a desk developing software for a living. Not any behemoths crashing into and landing on me 20+ times a day doing that, either. As I nicknamed him early in his career, the guy is

The Human Terminator

That crossed my mind, as i thought about it, but then i thought... his age, those knees, lack of mobility... he HAD to have missed a game, right?  I remember a game where his acl or mcl (or both) were severely damaged and he came in and beat us.  Playoff i think.

Good to hear... again.  Hard to believe, really. 
 The reasons i “hated” him in the past are (hopefully) the reasons i will love him wearing the shoe.

9 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Well of course. Just a reminder that Bucky Brooks wrote this during last season:

”This will be an unpopular opinion in the state of Indiana and beyond, but the Colts are a better team with Jacoby Brissett than they were with Andrew Luck as their QB1. Now, I know the Luck apologists will flood my Twitter timeline with all kinds of venom, but allow me to explain.”

Not only did he make this absolutely asinine comment...he then called anybody who would disagree a “Luck apologist.” # that guy.

This IS (was) a better TEAM under JB  than with Luck.

That said, the QB position by itself certainly wasn't better.

if he was saying same team, better with JB, then the only reason i can see is the turnovers  Luck made trying to do too much or bonehead plays.  But i’d rather not get back to that debate.

what were Riddicks reasons?

i kinda remember people liking the style of play early in the season.  Perhaps that is when it was written. We did look promising early, even with the Vinny issues.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This IS (was) a better TEAM under JB  than with Luck.

That said, the QB position by itself certainly wasn't better.

if he was saying same team, better with JB, then the only reason i can see is the turnovers  Luck made trying to do too much or bonehead plays.  But i’d rather not get back to that debate.

what were Riddicks reasons?

i kinda remember people liking the style of play early in the season.  Perhaps that is when it was written. We did look promising early, even with the Vinny issues.

He mainly cherry picks passer rating to make the argument...because at that point JB was still above 100 and Luck never finished above 100 (he was at 98.7 with Reich).

He uses this nine game sample for JB...pointing out that JB has led them to a 7-2 record...but ignores what Luck did over the last 10 games the year before in the same offense (after shaking off the injury rust)...when Luck’s passer rating was All Pro level...and the Colts went 9-1 and then won a playoff game.

It was just a terrible and flawed argument...likely written to get a reaction. 

Here is the link.

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

That crossed my mind, as i thought about it, but then i thought... his age, those knees, lack of mobility... he HAD to have missed a game, right?  I remember a game where his acl or mcl (or both) were severely damaged and he came in and beat us.  Playoff i think.

Good to hear... again.  Hard to believe, really. 
 The reasons i “hated” him in the past are (hopefully) the reasons i will love him wearing the shoe.

Somebody else did the Photoshop of Rivers years ago. I just added the caption. Would be great if someone could edit it with a Colts uni now.

Philip Rivers The Terminator.jpg

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this is true they really are not that high on Jacoby. If they were willing to bring Dalton in they were kind of desperate and they knew they couldn’t have Jacoby starting again.

I don’t think there was any way they were going into this season with JB as the starter...or at least not without serious vet competition. 

8 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is anyone else worried that JB’s confidence and ego may be materially adversely affected and that there will be issues in the QB and locker room? 

Worried?    About JB?

No.    Brissett is a pro. 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Players will be tested for Covid19. I think most teams will carry 3 QBs in case 1 tests positive. We need to keep Jacoby and Eason as our back up plan.

Great point, maybe the league could allow a extra player or three on the roster this season, due to C19    and why not?

36 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is anyone else worried that JB’s confidence and ego may be materially adversely affected and that there will be issues in the QB and locker room? 

I think the $20 million or so Satisfies any ego just fine.

If he’s smart, he’ll work hard, develop further, be a good teamate, and he’ll get his shot in a year i think. He will have to compete, but i certainly think, with work, he can start somewhere in this league.  If not, he can have a good career and make some serious cash anyway as a top back-up.

If he keeps things in perspective, he should be more than ok.

1 hour ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I'm torn on the question. That presser where he got testy after the TN game gives me pause as to if he can accept the backup role. At the same time, I don't think it would impact Rivers. Eason is new, so he doesn't care. Kelly likely doesn't care, he just wants to keep a paycheck.

I'm not really worried about the locker room. I doubt the OL cares much. Mack is in a contract year so he'll perform for his own interest. Taylor is new. The WRs and TEs watched their #s regress with JB, so they're likely looking forward to more targets and yards. The D won't likely care. Unless there's some pro-JB faction that developed last year, I think the locker room will be fine. 

I really hope JB can accept things though. He's a good guy, and a quality backup. I just don't see him as a future starter for us. I doubt though he'll be content long term as a backup and will likely look for a better situation next year. I wouldn't blame him.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm torn on the question. That presser where he got testy after the TN game gives me pause as to if he can accept the backup role. At the same time, I don't think it would impact Rivers. Eason is new, so he doesn't care. Kelly likely doesn't care, he just wants to keep a paycheck.

I'm not really worried about the locker room. I doubt the OL cares much. Mack is in a contract year so he'll perform for his own interest. Taylor is new. The WRs and TEs watched their #s regress with JB, so they're likely looking forward to more targets and yards. The D won't likely care. Unless there's some pro-JB faction that developed last year, I think the locker room will be fine. 

I really hope JB can accept things though. He's a good guy, and a quality backup. I just don't see him as a future starter for us. I doubt though he'll be content long term as a backup and will likely look for a better situation next year. I wouldn't blame him.

Not sure what to think either? At this point maybe JB realizes he is just a great backup and makes great money anyway so he will roll with the flow. Guys on the team like him too. I was kind of thinking after he was given the keys he wouldn't be happy with being a backup again but now I am 50/50 on it. The disadvantage we have as fans we don't know him personally and Ballard and Reich do. So if we keep him as a backup for 1 year it may not be a bad thing after all.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure what to think either? At this point maybe JB realizes he is just a great backup and makes great money anyway so he will roll with the flow. Guys on the team like him too. I was kind of thinking after he was given the keys he wouldn't be happy with being a backup again but now I am 50/50 on it. The disadvantage we have as fans we don't know him personally and Ballard and Reich do. So if we keep him as a backup for 1 year it may not be a bad thing after all.

I'm good with keeping him as a back up this year. We're on the hook for too much $, so might as well. Next year, I really doubt he'll be happy with a new backup salary if we even offer him (now that we have Eason). If JB is the competitor I think he is, he'll want to find a place with a path to starter...... A lot of things could change between now and then, but my gut says Rivers will be resigned, Eason or even Kelly inherits the backup role, and JB is off to a team where he can make more, or perhaps compete for QB1.

And bottom line, I think Irsay wants a top 10 offense that is capable of both passing and running in the top 10 range. And IMO, I don't see Indy fans ever being accepting of a game manager type O, and I'd bet Irsay understands that. Purely my opinion though.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm good with keeping him as a back up this year. We're on the hook for too much $, so might as well. Next year, I really doubt he'll be happy with a new backup salary if we even offer him (now that we have Eason). If JB is the competitor I think he is, he'll want to find a place with a path to starter...... A lot of things could change between now and then, but my gut says Rivers will be resigned, Eason or even Kelly inherits the backup role, and JB is off to a team where he can make more, or perhaps compete for QB1.

And bottom line, I think Irsay wants a top 10 offense that is capable of both passing and running in the top 10 range. And IMO, I don't see Indy fans ever being accepting of a game manager type O, and I'd bet Irsay understands that. Purely my opinion though.

I agree. JB is the perfect backup but deep down wants to start IMO. He is making great money this upcoming season so IMO will tolerate being the backup. He will be gone after 2020 more than likely.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, WoolMagnet said:

I feel alot better with JB on the roster for this year.

Rivers hasnt missed many games in his career, but he’s only 1 hit away from needing a backup.  Especially at his age.

If Ballard is all in for this year as some think, its a smart move to have a more tgan capable backup.

With the cap hit affecting a trade, and relatively little savings from cutting, it makes sense.  After getting caught with his pants down over the surprising Luck retirement, he did say he wouldnt let it happen again. Going into 2020 with Eason and/or Kelly as the primary backup could be a repeat of just that.

Every player in the league is 1 hit away from needing a backup.  Rivers has proven incredibly durable, and we have a much better line than what he's used to, so I am not very worry about injury (my main concern on injuries this year, league-wide, is more to do with the fact that players are missing OTAs, mini-camps, and may have a reduced training camp prior to the season).  

Irsay said the year we went 2-14, which Peyton missed, that he'd never put himself in position again to not have a backup that can keep us competitive.  Brissett can certainly win games on this team.  We were in the hunt for AFC South champions until the end last year, and we lost 3-5 games due to poor kicking (coupled with injuries on both O and D), it's not farfetched to think Brissett could win 8-10 games (or more) on this team this  year -- he won 7 last year with poor kicking keeping him from having 9-11 wins.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Newton's still a FA.  Dalton's older and in a new system.  He's a reliable backup, for sure.  The past couple of seasons he was showing he's a questionable starter.  He's a game manager at this point in his career, not too dissimilar to JB.  

Winston, as the writer of the article pointed out, has the 'best arm' of backups on the list.  He makes very questionable decisions, though.  JB gets knocked for not making quick decisions, but he protects the ball very well, as evidenced by starting last year with a 14TD:3INT ratio.  In our system, we have a good enough OL and 2 solid RBs in Mack and Taylor, and capable guys in Hines and Wilkins (assuming we keep 4 RBs).

On 5/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah I have heard this bounced around. What happens is your starting QB comes down with it and has to isolate for two weeks. 

You hope your backup doesn't get COVID and can fill in and win a game or two while the starter is out.

11 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

JB has already dealt with being a starter and going back to the bench the year Luck missed.  He was a great teammate then and many players said he was a leader of that team even though he was the backup.  Reich and Ballard have called him a total professional.  Of course JB's a bit disappointed not to be the starter.. but I doubt there will be major locker room or QB room issues.  We have too many solid leaders on this team for that to happen.

10 hours ago, conklincolt said:

Great point, maybe the league could allow a extra player or three on the roster this season, due to C19    and why not?

Prior to COVID, the league already implemented a plan to increase roster sizes.  We should have no problem keeping 3 QBs and stashing one on the practice squad with the new rules.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look at the passing yards and YPA and it will tell you everything you need to know. There are very few QBs who he played better than in 2019.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

Archived