Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Does He Or Doesnt He

LUVTHESHOE

I for one can make some sense get the whole PM thing. The thing I dont understand is Jim Irsays silence. I am not saying he owes the fans any explanation on his decision,it is his team. I however do believe there some damage control to be done. Why he has not come out and offered any real explanation on his decision after saying for months and months it would always be up to Peyton on rather plays here or not is beyond me. As I have said on some level I get this choice, on the other hand the way this issue has divided this fan base you would think a real leader would come out and address his fan base. It would do wonders if he would come out and assure fans that we are heading in the right direction or offer some clue as to what the plan even is. I have always respected JI as an owner and will continue to, but come Jim I feel you owe the fans something other than just cutting the greatest Colt ever will really no explanation at all. This fan base has always been very supportive of his team and now the fan base needs some support and he has nothing to say, other than a goofey tweet now and then, come on JIM step up!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that it came down to the salary cap.

we are out of room as it is.

When Jim said it was up to Peyton on if he would play here or not, I feel he meant we cannot afford the cap hit to keep the old contract, and if Peyton really wanted to play here then he would sign a very cap friendly deal. One that Peyton would not take. I think they both understood and agreed that Peyton would not settle on something so low.

It was a business decision, the Colts are a business, and the details are none of our business unfortunately.

I get that, my point is that it would bee a great P.r. move to come on a talk show some or even the Indy star and address it and not hide from it, because it does'nt seem to be going away. A good business would see this.

I think he has already.

I also think that no matter what he would say at this point, it would generate more anger and suggestions that he has lied to people.

All of this makes perfect sense to me and I tend to feel the claims that he is a liar or intentionally misled anyone are just not true

So, my perspective is different from yours

I look for him to step back and let his new front office handle public statements now. That's the way it always was before he had to step in

I get that, my point is that it would bee a great P.r. move to come on a talk show some or even the Indy star and address it and not hide from it, because it does'nt seem to be going away. A good business would see this.

Agreed, but when I'm at my job the plant manager doesn't post a memo stating why people get laid off, we just know it's because business is down at certain times and it is necessary. It was apparently necessary here also.

I don't think we will EVER know for sure what went on in the discussins between Peyton and Irsay. At first, I was very angry with Irsay for not keeping Peyton but more and more I think it may have had to do with Peyton really not wanting the Colts to draft Luck. In which case, Irsay may have graciously given Peyton the opportunity for an out by releasing him. Peyton's comments yesterday made me think that the only thing on his mind at this time is winning another Super Bowl THIS YEAR. And let's face it, the guys already on our team are the ones who went 2-14 last season. Without major changes at other roster spots, with or without Manning, with or without Luck, it (Super Bowl) probably wasn't going to happen. The more I think about it, though, I think it might have come down to Peyton not wanting us to draft Luck. After all, it was his daddy who first started the rumors that Luck should not have to sit a year. And we fans, who now are mad at Irsay for letting Peyton go, are the very same fans who were chanting "suck for Luck" and even wearing "12" Luck jersey.

At any rate, I'm glad that the pursuit of Peyton is over and that tomorrow we will have our own excitement at Luck's pro day. And yes, I will ALWAYS be a Peyton fan as well. BTW -- GO HOOSIERS, skin the CATS.

Agreed, but when I'm at my job the plant manager doesn't post a memo stating why people get laid off, we just know it's because business is down at certain times and it is necessary. It was apparently necessary here also.

Lol. but there are not 65,000 people outside your plant cheering for said employee either! The Colts and any factory in the state are hardly cared about by 90 % of people in the same manner. That is apples to sledge hammers.

It was a business decision, the Colts are a business, and the details are none of our business unfortunately.

no, you are wrong on many levels.

1st. My home insurance just went up 17% for living in the state of IN according to my insurance. My company sent me a letter stating why they did this, and compared my price to many other institutions and also explained there hasnt been a price increase since 2005. They are a business and they gave me details.

Netflix and BoA both made unpopular decisions and they had to explain those decisions to their customers, customers voiced their dislike and those companies changed.

2nd. If I pay money to a business and they expect to keep my business, then I deserve an explanation of their product and why I am recieving a specific product.

3rd. Football isn't "just a business" and that goes for any pro sport. Customers aren't just customers, they are fanatics. That is way different than just a customer.

If Luck Fails and Manning thrives, Irsay won't be able to step foot in Indiana again. If Irsay's decision was right, then he'll deserve credit for doing something good. Until Luck wins a superbowl, Irsay should be on pins and needles.

I think he has already.

I also think that no matter what he would say at this point, it would generate more anger and suggestions that he has lied to people.

All of this makes perfect sense to me and I tend to feel the claims that he is a liar or intentionally misled anyone are just not true

So, my perspective is different from yours

I look for him to step back and let his new front office handle public statements now. That's the way it always was before he had to step in

you really think he can step away from twitter?

I don't think we will EVER know for sure what went on in the discussins between Peyton and Irsay. At first, I was very angry with Irsay for not keeping Peyton but more and more I think it may have had to do with Peyton really not wanting the Colts to draft Luck. In which case, Irsay may have graciously given Peyton the opportunity for an out by releasing him. Peyton's comments yesterday made me think that the only thing on his mind at this time is winning another Super Bowl THIS YEAR. And let's face it, the guys already on our team are the ones who went 2-14 last season. Without major changes at other roster spots, with or without Manning, with or without Luck, it (Super Bowl) probably wasn't going to happen. The more I think about it, though, I think it might have come down to Peyton not wanting us to draft Luck. After all, it was his daddy who first started the rumors that Luck should not have to sit a year. And we fans, who now are mad at Irsay for letting Peyton go, are the very same fans who were chanting "suck for Luck" and even wearing "12" Luck jersey.

At any rate, I'm glad that the pursuit of Peyton is over and that tomorrow we will have our own excitement at Luck's pro day. And yes, I will ALWAYS be a Peyton fan as well. BTW -- GO HOOSIERS, skin the CATS.

no, not all of us wanted to suck for luck

i'm worried about suck with luck for the next 7 years

I believe the details are the fans business. Without the fans the business will fail.

haha.

Yes, indeed. The details are the business of fans who will speculate and complain over and over, rehash from time to time on this fan forum.

Ultimately, every fan will have to accept that reality is such that perfect information will not always be available and move on.

You can decide that you will no longer support the team if this is that important to you, or you can decide that it really doesn't matter.

Ultimately, it is all about choice.

Irsay could ocme out and be totally honest about what happened, but fans would still be ticked at him and they would still complain.

Honestly, saying it was a business decision based of risk vs reward against the cap is not going to make anyone feel anybetter. It all comes down to money and the risk that the team was going to take on if we kept him. It sucks, but the NFL is and will always be a business first. The team has to look out for themselves first and the players should always look out for themselves first

Irsay probably feels it is just better to keep quiet and move on instead of always having to explain why. At some point we need to move on with our fan lives and just let the decision be in the past and look to the future.

What is he supposed to say? The situation is pretty clear if you think about it and read between the lines.

Irsay released PM because of 1) having the #1 pick; 2) clearing out the FO and staff; 3) a roster that was filled with too many bad contracts to average players; 4) PM's guaranteed $; 5) feeling uncomfortable with PM being able to play another 4 years; and 6) generally not being convinced that PM should continue playing and risk his health.

What is he supposed to say? The situation is pretty clear if you think about it and read between the lines.

Irsay released PM because of 1) having the #1 pick; 2) clearing out the FO and staff; 3) a roster that was filled with too many bad contracts to average players; 4) PM's guaranteed $; 5) feeling uncomfortable with PM being able to play another 4 years; and 6) generally not being convinced that PM should continue playing and risk his health.

SPOT ON and exactly what he needed to come out and say and that would have put an end to all this needless spectulation. Sometimes the truth can hurt,but it generally heals faster. The trouble starts when you leave it to the masses to try to figure the obvious out.

SPOT ON and exactly what he needed to come out and say and that would have put an end to all this needless spectulation. Sometimes the truth can hurt,but it generally heals faster.

Well, it might help, but I don't really think it would. I don't think there is any Colts fan out there that's happy PM was released. I couldn't even watch the presser yesterday. However, there are fans who understand and accept why he was released and then there are the ones who don't and won't until PM either retires without winning another SB and/or Luck starts winning. Irsay could come out and say what I wrote above, and these fans would be like "yeah, so, you should have brought him back."

SPOT ON and exactly what he needed to come out and say and that would have put an end to all this needless spectulation. Sometimes the truth can hurt,but it generally heals faster. The trouble starts when you leave it to the masses to try to figure the obvious out.

The masses HAVE figured it out.

I think you're looking for a sacrificial lamb to come and beg for forgiveness from the masses so you can feel payback at seeing Irsay at the mercy of the masses instead of the helpless feeling you've had this entire Peyton Manning health saga. You want him in your shoes.

I think it is better left unsaid right now. To many people still up in arms and no matter what Jim says now, he will still be vilified. I feel that after the season starts and people shift gears and start cheering for the new look Colts, Jim may tell the whole story. Eventually we will know, but people like me really don't care. We want the season to start and look forward to the new direction of team.

I am just waiting for the Colts to start winning again and all of those who are now throwing Irsay under the bus will be saying, "I have said Irsay was right the whole time".

I think you're looking for a sacrificial lamb to come and beg for forgiveness from the masses so you can feel payback at seeing Irsay at the mercy of the masses instead of the helpless feeling you've had this entire Peyton Manning health saga. You want him in your shoes.

Hence the pitchfork brigade marching to the Baron's castle to demand to know what evil experiments he has conducted in the basement.

He made a decision/educated guess. Whether it pans out or is deemed right or wrong, that is yet to be determined and will take quite some time to determine that.

Some fans want more of an explanation, and even if he spelled things out so that nobody would have to read between the lines, some are still going to be unhappy with him/it/the situation.

He's in a no-win situation at this point.

It is what it is.

While it's a no-win situation, it doesn't preclude it from being discussed, debated or ridiculed.

Saying less is best at this time, Irsay knows it, a lot of us fans know it. Time is the best healer, time to let fans absorb the possibility of Luck being good, time to let fans get time for reconciliation, time to let fans get out of their emotional state etc.

I totally agree with what Irsay is doing right now, even if I did not agree with a few of the things he did or the way he went about doing a few things in the last month or so.

We fans can continue doing what we want to do, and I am fine with Irsay doing his thing as well.

I feel that it came down to the salary cap.

we are out of room as it is.

When Jim said it was up to Peyton on if he would play here or not, I feel he meant we cannot afford the cap hit to keep the old contract, and if Peyton really wanted to play here then he would sign a very cap friendly deal. One that Peyton would not take. I think they both understood and agreed that Peyton would not settle on something so low.

I don't think Peyton was ever given an option of a new contract. I think Irsay just told Peyton that he was moving on with a new QB.

I've never felt that Irsay lied about what was happening with Peyton. Likewise, it is not true that losing Peyton was necessary or inevitable in 2012.

It's equally as likely that once Jim told Peyton they weren't trying to get the pieces for a SB run in 2012 and would be clearing the roster to be filled over the next few years, Peyton simply said he didn't want to be here.

Jim and Peyton called that "circumstances". No more explanations are necessary. What is done is done.

For me personally, it's very disappointing to hear the Broncos talking about winning now and the Colts talking about winning somewhere down the road.

Winning cures everything.

Time will tell how it works out.

.... .....

If Luck Fails and Manning thrives, Irsay won't be able to step foot in Indiana again. If Irsay's decision was right, then he'll deserve credit for doing something good. Until Luck wins a superbowl, Irsay should be on pins and needles.

You make very valid points, just one question though, did Irsay get "pats on the back" from Peyton only after he won a SB? ... ... ...just wondering... ...I thought we all loved the decision made to draft Peyton long before that...IMO, for people to be put at ease Pagano and Luck will need to lead us to winning seasons. A SB Is the icing on the cake...again, my opinion here.

You are in left field, you might to go read my posts on this over the last month and check yourself. You need to do your homework before blasting away.

Lol. but there are not 65,000 people outside your plant cheering for said employee either! The Colts and any factory in the state are hardly cared about by 90 % of people in the same manner. That is apples to sledge hammers.

No it's business and business is the same when someone has a commodity and someone wants to buy it. Dress it how you want, it's just business

no, you are wrong on many levels.

1st. My home insurance just went up 17% for living in the state of IN according to my insurance. My company sent me a letter stating why they did this, and compared my price to many other institutions and also explained there hasnt been a price increase since 2005. They are a business and they gave me details.

Netflix and BoA both made unpopular decisions and they had to explain those decisions to their customers, customers voiced their dislike and those companies changed.

2nd. If I pay money to a business and they expect to keep my business, then I deserve an explanation of their product and why I am recieving a specific product.

3rd. Football isn't "just a business" and that goes for any pro sport. Customers aren't just customers, they are fanatics. That is way different than just a customer.

If they raise the price of tickets, yet an explanation is owed. The polite thing would be for Irsay to explain it but he doesn't have to. If you "take your business elsewhere" that is your option but like you pointed out football is different and it's the only game in town.