Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Does He Or Doesnt He

LUVTHESHOE

What's he going to say? If he comes out and says anything it's going to rip the scab off again and people will be complaining about him again. Isn't this what people were saying they wanted him to do? Just shut up and be an owner? I am sure Irsay knows they only thing he can do for damage control is put a winning team on the field which it looks like Grigson is hard at work trying to do. I think what you are seeing Irsay doing is two things, backing up off and letting Grigson run the show which is a good thing and not trying to cram Andrew Luck down people's throats because if he does that too soon it will become Manning was dumped for Luck which some fans have already gone too. That puts Luck in a no win situtaion with th fans because he's not going to be Peyton Manning his first year he's just not. So I think Irsay is doing the smart thing lay low make sure Luck is going to be the pick (which I think it's 99.9% of a chance he will be) and then once they are ready to make it offical start trying to market Luck to the new fans but you don't want to do that too fast you want to give the fans some time to accept that Peyton is gone and work threw that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one can make some sense get the whole PM thing. The thing I dont understand is Jim Irsays silence. I am not saying he owes the fans any explanation on his decision,it is his team. I however do believe there some damage control to be done. Why he has not come out and offered any real explanation on his decision after saying for months and months it would always be up to Peyton on rather plays here or not is beyond me. As I have said on some level I get this choice, on the other hand the way this issue has divided this fan base you would think a real leader would come out and address his fan base. It would do wonders if he would come out and assure fans that we are heading in the right direction or offer some clue as to what the plan even is. I have always respected JI as an owner and will continue to, but come Jim I feel you owe the fans something other than just cutting the greatest Colt ever will really no explanation at all. This fan base has always been very supportive of his team and now the fan base needs some support and he has nothing to say, other than a goofey tweet now and then, come on JIM step up!

I don't get why this is such a hard thing to or understand. Peyton was an unusual injury, being paid a high dollar contract, with a high cap, with an uncertainty of his level of play going forward, going to play tops 4-5 years and there is a replacement in this years draft that could be a near carbon copy. It comes down to 2 simple things, long term vs short term and money. To me, it is not that hard to really understand or accept but I think the main thing is some people don't want to accept it, thats all.

I also think that Peyton chose what was best for him. I noticed in this presser that he said he wants to take every snap on every game. He has always been ultra-competitive in that way. I don't think that was going to be an option here anymore. I don't blame him for moving on and I don't blame Irsay for thinking this team had major problems.

I blame circumstances colliding and it sucks but it happened and there's nothing I can do but look for positives. This is something I have to work through on my own, and nothing anyone says is going to change that. I can understand the different reasonings on why but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Its too late for any statements from Irsay. When he dragged PM up to the podium, that was his explanation.

If he had any class, he would have cut Manning much sooner and made the statement by himself . The fans would have respected him more than they did by having a Peyton Manning puppet telling them what he was told to say.

He then should have had a separate Press conference to let Peyton say goodbye.

Its too late for any statements from Irsay. When he dragged PM up to the podium, that was his explanation.

If he had any class, he would have cut Manning much sooner and made the statement by himself . The fans would have respected him more than they did by having a Peyton Manning puppet telling them what he was told to say.

He then should have had a separate Press conference to let Peyton say goodbye.

He dragged Peyton to the press conference? Kicking and screaming? They looked pretty buddy buddy to me in Jim's SUV.

You are in left field, you might to go read my posts on this over the last month and check yourself. You need to do your homework before blasting away.

Maybe, but there's still no business reason for him to to what you want.

I find it hard to believe there's a huge contingent sitting on the fence for an explanation (again) from Irsay directly before they continue to support this team, which means there's no benefit to doing what you want. Meanwhile, it continues to drag out one of the more depressing moments in both Irsay's and the fans' recent memories and just gives more ammo to people who will never understand or agree with the decision, which means you make your fans unhappy for longer and give your opponents more opportunity to take shots at you.

The only reason why someone would want this is for personal satisfaction because it really makes no sense at all.*

*In My Opinion

Maybe, but there's still no business reason for him to to what you want.

I find it hard to believe there's a huge contingent sitting on the fence for an explanation (again) from Irsay directly before they continue to support this team, which means there's no benefit to doing what you want. Meanwhile, it continues to drag out one of the more depressing moments in both Irsay's and the fans' recent memories and just gives more ammo to people who will never understand or agree with the decision, which means you make your fans unhappy for longer and give your opponents more opportunity to take shots at you.

The only reason why someone would want this is for personal satisfaction because it really makes no sense at all.*

*In My Opinion

LOL, again this is not what I want at all. I was simply asking what everyone else thought and would it go away quicker if he addressed it. Everytime you get on here someone is still ^lady^ing about it, so much to the point the mods have to figure out where to put it.Period! You make it seem that I am being anti JI and that is off base. I hav'nt written any anti COLT rants since Caldwell was canned. Sorry if you took it that way and you seem to be the only one that did!

I think he has already.

I also think that no matter what he would say at this point, it would generate more anger and suggestions that he has lied to people.

All of this makes perfect sense to me and I tend to feel the claims that he is a liar or intentionally misled anyone are just not true

So, my perspective is different from yours

I look for him to step back and let his new front office handle public statements now. That's the way it always was before he had to step in

You can tell you work for the Colts! :lol: Good answer though and I agree with everything you said there.

It was a business decision, the Colts are a business, and the details are none of our business unfortunately.

Yes it is. Who is the customer for his business?. Mostly fans.

We dont need to be involved in decision making but we need to be informed and communicated.

haha.

Yes, indeed. The details are the business of fans who will speculate and complain over and over, rehash from time to time on this fan forum.

Ultimately, every fan will have to accept that reality is such that perfect information will not always be available and move on.

You can decide that you will no longer support the team if this is that important to you, or you can decide that it really doesn't matter.

Ultimately, it is all about choice.

Easy there Frogger.

Regarding Irsay, it is his business and he should be making decisions based on the best interest of his business, not what the fans want. The question is and only time will tell, was this a good business decision.

You can tell you work for the Colts! :lol: Good answer though and I agree with everything you said there.

Hmmmmmm, it's possible that because I work for the colts.......things do make more sense to me

stand by everything I say though

First of all, enough of the Irsay threads...it only divides us and reminds us of why we are divided.

Since some of you conveniently want to look at your favorite sports team as a business model (even though most people relate to the athletes ie: Jeremy linn, Tim Teebow, Delle Donne etc...), lets do just that shall we?

If Wins are currency and Superbowl wins are the epitome of financial success, then I would say these owners have been horrific outside of the 12 year run we had with Peyton Manning, which was in part due to Bill Polian.

40 years : 1 Superbowl.

So, i get the "its a business" arguement. I just don't see the fiscal results.

You make very valid points, just one question though, did Irsay get "pats on the back" from Peyton only after he won a SB? ... ... ...just wondering... ...I thought we all loved the decision made to draft Peyton long before that...IMO, for people to be put at ease Pagano and Luck will need to lead us to winning seasons. A SB Is the icing on the cake...again, my opinion here.

i like your optomistic view on the colts,

i'm just saying we have the right to know because we pay them $$

I don't get why this is such a hard thing to or understand. Peyton was an unusual injury, being paid a high dollar contract, with a high cap, with an uncertainty of his level of play going forward, going to play tops 4-5 years and there is a replacement in this years draft that could be a near carbon copy. It comes down to 2 simple things, long term vs short term and money. To me, it is not that hard to really understand or accept but I think the main thing is some people don't want to accept it, thats all.

carbon copy? please

First of all, enough of the Irsay threads...it only divides us and reminds us of why we are divided.

Since some of you conveniently want to look at your favorite sports team as a business model (even though most people relate to the athletes ie: Jeremy linn, Tim Teebow, Delle Donne etc...), lets do just that shall we?

If Wins are currency and Superbowl wins are the epitome of financial success, then I would say these owners have been horrific outside of the 12 year run we had with Peyton Manning, which was in part due to Bill Polian.

I agree, and what was the stock price of Indiana t football prior to Peyton manning? penny stock

It's fun how fans can justify or support what Irsay has done by telling themselves it's all "just a business" and give him accolades prior to Luck doing something great. I'll give my accolades to Irsay once his plan = a superbowl

i like your optomistic view on the colts,

i'm just saying we have the right to know because we pay them $$

Answers to questions was not what my reply was about. I simply wanted to know if Colts fans were happy with Irsay's choice of Manning before or after the SB win we got. Again, I know this answer, but by the logic you give, Colts fans will not be happy and Irsay will not be proven right until Luck wins a SB. Kinda unfair to expect a SB from Luck before you give him support yet you gave Peyton your support long before a SB victory, isn't it?

Again, I'm not questioning your demands for answers. If you think you deserve them, then that is what you think. I, on the other hand think Jim and Peyton answered those questions as much as either wants them answered. IMO, we won't get anymore information, and I don't think there will be any more said about it at this time. it will probably be years down the road before anything else is known (if at all). Jim and Peyton both said that Mr. Circumstance was too big of a presence in the room. That's all I personally need to know. I can make deductions based on common sense and logic to figure out what those circumstances where (especially since we now have a fuller picture btwn what the Colts are doing and the contract Peyton just signed and with whom he signed it with). But, like I said, if you don't have all the answers you deem you need, then by all means you have the right to ask for more...just don't expect an answer.

Easy there Frogger.

Regarding Irsay, it is his business and he should be making decisions based on the best interest of his business, not what the fans want. The question is and only time will tell, was this a good business decision.

In the bigger picture, whether Irsay makes choices that makes his business prosper or result in total ruination, it is his business with which to do so as he wishes. The only choice fans have is to choose to continue to be a fan or move on to become a fan of some other team.

I heard Bill Polian speak at the start of our championship season.

He said, it is not always the best teams that win the Super Bowl because if that were true, we would have won the year before.

I think there are a lot of things you have to have going for you..........and then you need things to just for some reason go your way

There's hard work and planning but there's also just a huge luck factor

Your arguement could be seen from a different perspective...

League average is 1 SB win every 32 years.

Jim Irsay has only been the Owner of the Colts for 15 years and has 1 SB win already under his belt.

Ultimately, if we can hand him all the blame for any decisions we don't like, then he also gets all the credit for assembling (and paying handsomely for) the staff and team that provided the most consistant regular season success this league has ever known, and for leading the club to 2 SBs appearances and 1 SB win... in only 15 years. In fact, I think the club has had better than 10 wins in all but like 4 years under his ownership.

Yes, there are teams that have won more SBs, and teams that have been to more. But there are a LOT more teams that have gone way longer since their last SB appearance.

Yep, but I guarantee if Indy does not have the first overall pick Manning is still a Colt and Indy is trading it's number 1.

Your right because the Colts would not have been in a position to move forward with a product that potentially is equal to the prospect that Manning was coming out. If we were #2 or 3 perhaps that trade is made and Manning lines up this year again for the Colts and hopefully for the next 4 years to finish his contract and career as a Colt. Didn't happen that way, we had the #1 pick and such a prospect sitting there for the taking.

I agree, and what was the stock price of Indiana t football prior to Peyton manning? penny stock

It's fun how fans can justify or support what Irsay has done by telling themselves it's all "just a business" and give him accolades prior to Luck doing something great. I'll give my accolades to Irsay once his plan = a superbowl

You are able to sit here and have a look at the body of work and success but you couldn't be so sure about where the stock would have went with picking Manning in 1997. Same thing holds true for 2012 and the pick of Luck. Stock is still pretty solid after the run with Manning but given the fact that Luck is potential for another 10+ years of a similar (and hopefully better) run, the stock should continue to rise in Colts nation. Or you could sit back and second guess the move and be irritated about it until Luck proves you wrong or right. You seem to believe he will nont pick the team up and win super bowls, many disagree so we could revisit this in about 5 years and see who is right or wrong. Cup half empty on your side it seems from all your posts. Mod Edit

Well Irsay said all he needed to say about Peyton the months leading up to Peyton's release and during the press conference.

Peyton is a great player and I think some fans are still hurt, but the Colts operate as a business and Irsay doesn't need to explain himself anymore than he already has.

I feel that it came down to the salary cap. we are out of room as it is. When Jim said it was up to Peyton on if he would play here or not, I feel he meant we cannot afford the cap hit to keep the old contract, and if Peyton really wanted to play here then he would sign a very cap friendly deal. One that Peyton would not take. I think they both understood and agreed that Peyton would not settle on something so low.

Um...yeah, well the thing is that contract, that so very unfriendly contract was the contract that Mr Irsay consciously and deliberately put in place. Or have you forgotten his determination that he have the highest paid QB in league history, and Peyton Mannings statements that he would take less to ensure the team had cap space. Irsay got his way and PM got a huge contract. Buyers remorse over the cap space might be appropriate except that the contracts terms were laid down by Jim Irsay himself. So he can hardly claim that the cap hit numbers are a surprise or were not expected, can he? So it's fairly disingenous to try to claim that it's all Peyton's fault for not agreeing to renegotiate a contract that was pushed on him, when it's actually already quite apparent that it was Irsay's decision and wasn't money related anyway. But, even if it *was* money related, how is it Peyton's fault that Jim Irsay get's buyers remorse over a deal he created?

Agreed, but when I'm at my job the plant manager doesn't post a memo stating why people get laid off, we just know it's because business is down at certain times and it is necessary. It was apparently necessary here also.

You are not a customer of your plant, you are an employee, very different

I for one can make some sense get the whole PM thing. The thing I dont understand is Jim Irsays silence. I am not saying he owes the fans any explanation on his decision,it is his team.

Wrong. It is my team. It is your team. Without us, he doesn't have a team.

Um...yeah, well the thing is that contract, that so very unfriendly contract was the contract that Mr Irsay consciously and deliberately put in place. Or have you forgotten his determination that he have the highest paid QB in league history, and Peyton Mannings statements that he would take less to ensure the team had cap space. Irsay got his way and PM got a huge contract. Buyers remorse over the cap space might be appropriate except that the contracts terms were laid down by Jim Irsay himself. So he can hardly claim that the cap hit numbers are a surprise or were not expected, can he? So it's fairly disingenous to try to claim that it's all Peyton's fault for not agreeing to renegotiate a contract that was pushed on him, when it's actually already quite apparent that it was Irsay's decision and wasn't money related anyway. But, even if it *was* money related, how is it Peyton's fault that Jim Irsay get's buyers remorse over a deal he created?

I'd have buyers remorse if I just bought a brand new Lamborghini that I'd wanted more than anything in the world, only to learn right after I signed the papers that it was going to be in the shop for a year, and after that year, was given no clear indication whether it would be able to run soon or not. Worse still, I'm asked to commit to several more large payments over the next four years without any proof of the current condition of the car, or its ability to perform at its maximum or anywhere near it three or four years down the road. darn straight I'd have buyers remorse, and I'd be downright mad about it. But I didn't get that impression from Irsay. He struck me more as SAD about the whole thing than MAD, so I think there is tons more going on that reaction to the financial side of it.

I'd have buyers remorse if I just bought a brand new Lamborghini that I'd wanted more than anything in the world, only to learn right after I signed the papers that it was going to be in the shop for a year, and after that year, was given no clear indication whether it would be able to run soon or not. Worse still, I'm asked to commit to several more large payments over the next four years without any proof of the current condition of the car, or its ability to perform at its maximum or anywhere near it three or four years down the road. darn straight I'd have buyers remorse, and I'd be downright mad about it. But I didn't get that impression from Irsay. He struck me more as SAD about the whole thing than MAD, so I think there is tons more going on that reaction to the financial side of it.

Would it change your mind the other brand new Lambo your were buying might turn into a Pinto?

Would it change your mind the other brand new Lambo your were buying might turn into a Pinto?

When I didn't know what I had with the first car, you can bet your booty I'd be shopping for something else, and it probably wouldn't be a Lamborghini after my last experience. Should I make all my future car buying decisions based on fear of how they'll turn out? Or should I cling to a choice that could have cost me more than financially, just because it is might have once been the coolest car on the block?

When I didn't know what I had with the first car, you can bet your booty I'd be shopping for something else, and it probably wouldn't be a Lamborghini after my last experience. Should I make all my future car buying decisions based on fear of how they'll turn out? Or should I cling to a choice that could have cost me more than financially, just because it is might have once been the coolest car on the block?

I really shouldn't have said what I said because Luck does look like an awesome prospect. Either way, I'd take the questionmarks with Manning over the questionmarks with Luck. Comparing Luck to a Ford Pinto was uncalled for and unintentional. I was just trying to address the analogies with an analogy.

I really shouldn't have said what I said because Luck does look like an awesome prospect. Either way, I'd take the questionmarks with Manning over the questionmarks with Luck. Comparing Luck to a Ford Pinto was uncalled for and unintentional. I was just trying to address the analogies with an analogy.

I was actually ignoring the part about Luck being a Pinto... :)