Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Ballard on Jacoby

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SSColts said:

Eason/Kelly 2021!

Man, this is looking like the truth. I tell you if I was on the bottom end of the WR room and the roster. I would spend as much time as I could with Eason and Kelly. Because they look like the future of this team 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree. But I'd say if Kelly has PS eligibility left, all 4 may be kept.

 

My %s....

Eason 5%

Brissett 30%

Kelly 35%

Keeping all 4 (if CK has PS eligibility) 30%

 

Absolutely agree. I thought I inferred that in my post .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

I'm fine with Brissett returning as the backup.  That's what he is.  He's a backup, a solid backup.

 

That said, I'll never understand why Ballard and Frank feel compelled to artificially pump Brissett up in the press.  If anything, it's been counterproductive.  It has not helped a thing.  Rookie GM/rookie head coach mistake.  You signed a starting QB and drafted another.  That speaks for itself.  Just let it be. 

 

Now that Eason has been drafted, Frank probably has Brissett's special package up to 14 plays a game.  

Not to mention it does Jacoby no favors. Ballard makes all these comments unscripted also. Usually Ballard is the bad cop while Reich is the good cop. Maybe he feels he has been trashed so hard he needs to give him confidence. Why doesn’t Jacoby have to earn his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

That doesn’t matter. 

 

One of the reasons Ballard is defending Jacoby so hard is he knows how bad he has been trashed. Some of it goes beyond ridiculous.

Or maybe he realizes it’s a sunk cost....we are going to have almost no training camp and lucky to have a couple preseason games so almost nobody he brings in this year that is unfamiliar with the system is going to help much. We have a 38 year old qb on a playoff caliber team in a year of the most uncertainty anyone has ever seen. Bringing back a leader in the locker room and a guy that knows the offense inside and out and lead us to wins. Jacoby is the perfect insurance policy and back up for us especially this season. I’ve never been a big Jacoby fan but for this season...I see his value. It might not be 20 million but he can provide something that no one else in the league can. Insurance.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Or maybe he realizes it’s a sunk cost....we are going to have almost no training camp and lucky to have a couple preseason games so almost nobody he brings in this year that is unfamiliar with the system is going to help much. We have a 38 year old qb on a playoff caliber team in a year of the most uncertainty anyone has ever seen. Bringing back a leader in the locker room and a guy that knows the offense inside and out and lead us to wins. Jacoby is the perfect insurance policy and back up for us especially this season. I’ve never been a big Jacoby fan but for this season...I see his value. It might not be 20 million but he can provide something that no one else in the league can. Insurance.

Oh I agree with this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t care about the game. I am looking at some of those those. Anticipation is really good.

Actually, many think he uses arm strength to compensate for lack of anticipation/timing/touch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

With that mind set. Joe Burrows (Number 1 pick) couldn’t  beat Jacoby out this fall. After seeing what Jacoby did and didn’t do last year is enough to show this fan base he is not the one.

Burrows couldn't beat Brissett out? huh? How does that relate to Eason? Not following here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope Eason gets a fair shot and Reich doesn’t feel some kind of loyalty to Kelly.  If we do have preseason games he will be playing with some mediocre WR and probably no time with the ones in practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Actually, many think he uses arm strength to compensate for lack of anticipation/timing/touch.

That is very common with a lot of QBs who a timing or touch issue

 

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Burrows couldn't beat Brissett out? huh? How does that relate to Eason? Not following here.

I said that because, there is no perfect Rookie QB. Just like one can find Eason throwing int’s. You can find flaws in everybody game on the college level.

Lamar Jackson wasn’t a pocket passer/running QB. Patrick Mahomes comes from a run and shoot /college only offense.  But those guys turned out OK with NFL coaching. 
I would like to see a true competition for that backup position this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do people expect Cb to say.. Oh we can’t wait to get rid of Jacoby as we now have Rivers and Eason. Jacoby played decent but not good enough to win a Super Bowl which is what we are trying to do in Indianapolis.

 

Of course he’s going to talk highly of him, don’t diminish the value of an asset you might try to be moving.. 

 

GMs do it all the time.. Oh we love this player and he is not on the trade block.. then boom, a trade happens. Don’t show your hand in a poker game.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

Absolutely agree. I thought I inferred that in my post .

No way we carry 3 qb's on the 53 man roster, no way!!  There is also no way that Eason will be placed on the practice squad so a betting man says that JB is on his way out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is very common with a lot of QBs who a timing or touch issue

 

JB has the issue to an extent. Another one of the jabs at Eason is his struggles going through progressions, but I don't think he's as bad as JB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BornHoosier said:

No way we carry 3 qb's on the 53 man roster, no way!!  There is also no way that Eason will be placed on the practice squad so a betting man says that JB is on his way out.

This won’t happen until they get Eason in the building and see how he interacts with his teammates and watch him practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

No way we carry 3 qb's on the 53 man roster, no way!!  There is also no way that Eason will be placed on the practice squad so a betting man says that JB is on his way out.

I could be wrong but I think the final 53 man roster number will increase due to the new CBA the players just agreed to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

What do people expect Cb to say.. Oh we can’t wait to get rid of Jacoby as we now have Rivers and Eason. Jacoby played decent but not good enough to win a Super Bowl which is what we are trying to do in Indianapolis.

 

Of course he’s going to talk highly of him, don’t diminish the value of an asset you might try to be moving.. 

 

GMs do it all the time.. Oh we love this player and he is not on the trade block.. then boom, a trade happens. Don’t show your hand in a poker game.

Maybe he should talk about Jacoby having to earn his spot. I guess the difference here is Jacoby has already won the locker room.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I said that because, there is no perfect Rookie QB. Just like one can find Eason throwing int’s. You can find flaws in everybody game on the college level.

Lamar Jackson wasn’t a pocket passer/running QB. Patrick Mahomes comes from a run and shoot /college only offense.  But those guys turned out OK with NFL coaching. 
I would like to see a true competition for that backup position this year.

No, but there are rooks that are more ready than others. Burrows is pretty ready now IMO, and I think he'd beat out Brissett pretty easy. Eason has a ton to work on though. He's got raw skills though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This won’t happen until they get Eason in the building and see how he interacts with his teammates and watch him practice.

They wouldn't have spent a 4th rd pick if they didn't already do their due diligence on character.  It would be a waste of a pick if they didn't have plans on cutting JB and saving that $$$.  Just makes too much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is very common with a lot of QBs who a timing or touch issue

 

    

Reich talked about how he can take velocity off the ball and throw with touch. Reich even mentioned anticipation too. He had some good insight tonight on him. Reich also mentioned how much of a project he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JR Indy said:

I could be wrong but I think the final 53 man roster number will increase due to the new CBA the players just agreed to 

This makes sense with the comments from the Staff that I did not think of!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

Once a team has an injury Jacoby could fetch a third or a player .

Market might continue to be saturated for QB. Newton and Winston are still FAs too.

Interesting year for QBs, that's for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

They wouldn't have spent a 4th rd pick if they didn't already do their due diligence on character.  It would be a waste of a pick if they didn't have plans on cutting JB and saving that $$$.  Just makes too much sense.

Looks like decker and Dodd’s did a lot of digging into these work ethic rumors. Ballard even defended him tonight talking about it was unarmed sources. Ballard mentioned there was nothing to take him off the board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No, but there are rooks that are more ready than others. Burrows is pretty ready now IMO, and I think he'd beat out Brissett pretty easy. Eason has a ton to work on though. He's got raw skills though. 

If Eason is truly the future at QB, why take away reps by having him 3rd or 4th on the Depth chart?  Wouldn't you want him to be #2 and learn behind Rivers to a full extent?  I mean lets be honest here, JB is nowhere in the plans for 2021 so why take away the development of the future?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BornHoosier said:

This makes sense with the comments from the Staff that I did not think of!  

The new rule has 53 man limit with 2 practice Squad eligible each week and an increase by two to the active game day roster

 

    Will probably make it easier for teams to keep 3 QBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Kind of pisses me off to hear that. Oh well it is what it is.

Why???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

If Eason is truly the future at QB, why take away reps by having him 3rd or 4th on the Depth chart?  Wouldn't you want him to be #2 and learn behind Rivers to a full extent?  I mean lets be honest here, JB is nowhere in the plans for 2021 so why take away the development of the future?

JE is not ready to be the primary backup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this Kelly Eason battle is real lol cause if given a fair shot with the actual talent on the team I'm not so sure JB could beat out Kelly and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Kelly ended up as the back up if he is actually given the shot he deserves and was screwed out of last year 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Market might continue to be saturated for QB. Newton and Winston are still FAs too.

Interesting year for QBs, that's for sure

Not to mention some of the guys that could be available during Preseason or after Cut down day

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think we're doing an injustice to Jacoby if we keep him on the roster, especially with Eason in the picture.  Best for both parties is that Jacoby finds a new home as a starter elsewhere, b/c he will be walking after his contract this year is done.  He's a good team mate in the locker room, no doubt about it, has a good attitude, has never had an issue off the field....Good luck to Jacoby if and when he leaves...

eason is a crap shoot gamble, draft picks are iffy, imo ballard was reaching for a qb and missed out on the best available pick, he may not make the roster

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JE is not ready to be the primary backup

Princeton, not arguing with you just doesn't add up?  We will not carry 3 qb's on the active roster and we will not have two on the practice squad!  Whose in & whose out in your opinion?  If Eason is not even backup ready, why waist a 4th rd pick on the dude when other talent was on the board?  JB does nothing but hinder the development of our young talent that actually has a future on this team.  Save the $$ and cut him in my opinion.  Rivers hasn't missed a game that I can remember so please release JB so either CK or JE can develop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

eason is a crap shoot gamble, draft picks are iffy, imo ballard was reaching for a qb and missed out on the best available pick, he may not make the roster

DEFENSE, this is the furthest from the truth!!  This staff didn't spend a 4th rd pick on a qb, if they didn't fully believe he is the future.  The entire staff has scouted the position for the last 12 months & discussed it as a group every day.  There is no doubt in my mind they feel that Eason is the future and will give him every opportunity to succeed.  Brissett's future here is numbered and if they really want to develop their 4th rd pick, they would cut ties and save the cap hit!  The writing is on the wall and many will soon see the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think I found an example of a win win solution on a JB trade.  I went on Spotrac and started messing around with their trade feature which is free.  I looked at NE who is really in cap trouble and could use some relief.  They also might be receptive to getting JB back.  I proposed a straight up trade of JB for their starting guard Joe Thuney who has a cap hit of around 14M.  The result of the trade is NE gets JB and picks up an additional 6M in cap space.  We get Thuney but lose 6M in cap space.  JB has a dead cap hit 12M which gets figured in all of this but when it all shakes out NE gets JB and 6M more in cap and we get a player but we lose an additional 6M of cap.  Thuney is a very good player BTW.  So it looks like it's not impossible you just have to find the right situation and player to make it work.  I'm guessing we would always lose some cap space but their is an opportunity to get a player which makes it palatable I think.  I actually read somewhere earlier that Thuney could be a cut candidate for them if forced to get cap space.  This way they get space and JB back.  Anyway I thought it was an interesting exercise.

We all have assumed that BB wants him back, has there been a credible report or a BB quote that says he would like to have JB back? I think we all just want JB gone so bad we’ve injected the pats into taking him off our hands. They may look like they need a QB but everyone knows that BB isn’t conventional. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

 

There is nothing what so ever to "restructure." His base salary is only 6 million . The roster bonus and signing bonus , both guaranteed , total about 14 million. We have around 26 mill still left for this year. Why would you want to "push" anything into next year ?

While I honestly just want to move on, They could literally tell him if he still wants to be here, restructure to minimum salary or we cut you. In that situation, JB has to determine whether he would want to be a Colt or whether more money somewhere else is possible. I’d just cut bait. 

1 hour ago, JR Indy said:

The question that needs to be asked is this a true competition for the backup QB position. 
Or did Frank just GIVE  that to Jacoby as a courtesy. Because if this is a true competition, between Jacoby, Chad, and Easton. He (Jacoby) might be in trouble this fall.

 I would like to see how each one looks with the number one O-line. Jacoby should have an advantage because he knows the play book. But his problem is when he has to go off script.

CK also knows the playbook. So Eason would be at the disadvantage here but gets the most rope because he is the prospect draft pick. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

You know that could happen. If rivers has a good year though he will be back.

The same could be true if either Eason or CK or for that matter, JB is retained and shows what the team hoped for. I’d really like to see CK and Eason battle for 2&3 spots, moving on from JB altogether. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That doesn’t matter. 

 

One of the reasons Ballard is defending Jacoby so hard is he knows how bad he has been trashed. Some of it goes beyond ridiculous.

It has gone way past trashing. I see an out and out hatred that some should be ashamed of. 

Making Brissett your whipping post and your scape goat all at once. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superfly said:


It’s not that simple! 
 

kanye west dollar bills GIF

 

 

But it could be!


I get it, but since number 12 quit before the start of last season. It is the cost of doing business in the NFL nowadays. While the amount of money the Colts is spending on the QB position is very high. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money some teams spend trying to find franchise QB

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

DEFENSE, this is the furthest from the truth!!  This staff didn't spend a 4th rd pick on a qb, if they didn't fully believe he is the future.  The entire staff has scouted the position for the last 12 months & discussed it as a group every day.  There is no doubt in my mind they feel that Eason is the future and will give him every opportunity to succeed.  Brissett's future here is numbered and if they really want to develop their 4th rd pick, they would cut ties and save the cap hit!  The writing is on the wall and many will soon see the truth.

once ryan leaf was thought of as the future by a gm, draft picks are still a crapshoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all a gamble on Rivers...if we're 6-2 and Rivers sprains an ankle, I want Brissett there to get us through a couple games...If Rivers tears an ACL in week 1, I'd just as soon throw Eason out there and see how he improves over a season...Either he sucks, and we get a high pick that could become Trevor Lawrence, or he shows promise...my only hope is he gets enough practice reps either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Princeton, not arguing with you just doesn't add up?  We will not carry 3 qb's on the active roster and we will not have two on the practice squad!  Whose in & whose out in your opinion?  If Eason is not even backup ready, why waist a 4th rd pick on the dude when other talent was on the board?  JB does nothing but hinder the development of our young talent that actually has a future on this team.  Save the $$ and cut him in my opinion.  Rivers hasn't missed a game that I can remember so please release JB so either CK or JE can develop!

Sorry I will listen to the guys who get paid to make these decisions the same way I did when I was coaching

 

 

     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

once ryan leaf was thought of as the future by a gm, draft picks are still a crapshoot

Guess the point I was trying to prove is the Staff will do what it takes to help him succeed since they gave up a 4th rd pick to get him.  If he was a 6th or 7th, then yes all bets off of even securing a roster spot but at 4 just don't see that happening.  I could be wrong and we will see shortly the plan.  Go Colts tho, dont want to argue about the backup lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Sorry I will listen to the guys who get paid to make these decisions the same way I did when I was coaching

 

 

     

I want you to listen to the Staff over us Armchair GM's but I'm trying to tell you what the Staff is saying.  Don't listen to their words but watch what they do to truly hear them correctly.  Time will finally get you to see the truth my friend and if I'm wrong I will admit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...