Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on Jacoby

CR91

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Guess the point I was trying to prove is the Staff will do what it takes to help him succeed since they gave up a 4th rd pick to get him.  If he was a 6th or 7th, then yes all bets off of even securing a roster spot but at 4 just don't see that happening.  I could be wrong and we will see shortly the plan.  Go Colts tho, dont want to argue about the backup lol.

i agree since they picked him they will try to make it work, imo a waste of a pick if we are going for it this season

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has gone way past trashing. I see an out and out hatred that some should be ashamed of. 

Making Brissett your whipping post and your scape goat all at once. 

he was trashed on this forum but where else?

9 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I want you to listen to the Staff over us Armchair GM's but I'm trying to tell you what the Staff is saying.  Don't listen to their words but watch what they do to truly hear them correctly.  Time will finally get you to see the truth my friend and if I'm wrong I will admit it.

I know how coaches words work 

Grew up in a locker room then coached

I have been in multiple roster decision meetings 

Started managing my Dads squad as a 5 yo

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I know how coaches words work 

Grew up in a locker room then coached

I have been in multiple roster decision meetings 

Started managing my Dads squad as a 5 yo

I apologize Princeton, my military background only knows the truth and nothing but the truth.  I tend to fail at understanding today's society.  At the end of the day, we can't argue internally about the backup position as greater things are ahead for all of us.  

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where else does the hatred come out. 

Being critical of any player is not the same as what I read in this forum about JB.

Tar and feathers went out a century ago. 

I'm the biggest culprit when it comes to negativity on a certain player and I apologize as it is not Biblical.  A big thanks to you, Princeton and Defense for challenging my negativity and I will let things play out instead of unleashing criticism!

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Sorry I will listen to the guys who get paid to make these decisions the same way I did when I was coaching

I was wondering if you would be willing to let the forum know your coaching career, including W/L record?  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm the biggest culprit when it comes to negativity on a certain player and I apologize as it is not Biblical.  A big thanks to you, Princeton and Defense for challenging my negativity and I will let things play out instead of unleashing criticism!

No need to apologize for being critical of any player at all. As a fan that's all we can do and that is what fans do. 

But some of the stuff I read about JB goes beyond being critical. 

Thanks for thinking about it though, shows you care. 

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

If Eason is truly the future at QB, why take away reps by having him 3rd or 4th on the Depth chart?  Wouldn't you want him to be #2 and learn behind Rivers to a full extent?  I mean lets be honest here, JB is nowhere in the plans for 2021 so why take away the development of the future?

Purely my opinion, but a rook QB can learn a lot from simply sitting. And I don't think anyone is counting on him in 2020 or 21. I'm not saying that's what Eason will be limited to (simply watching as a 3rd guy), but honestly after preseason, QB2s don't get a lot of snaps. Hoyer for instance took no snaps IIRC the week before the Miami game.

So really, pre-season is more prime time than anything for non-QB1s in terms of actually playing. QB2s might be a little more involved in game prep, but doubt they are doing much in terms of throwing. The most throwing action likely comes from whoever is running the scout team.

Just my prediction, but he'll likely be battle it out in camp, end up being #3 for the season, and end up being #2 next year assuming we resign Rivers. A lot certainly can change, but that's my gut.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just my prediction, but he'll likely be battle it out in camp, end up being #3 for the season, and end up being #2 next year assuming we resign Rivers. A lot certainly can change, but that's my gut.

You know that is not a popular opinion with the ones who think Kelly is our answer. :)

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where else does the hatred come out. 

Being critical of any player is not the same as what I read in this forum about JB.

Tar and feathers went out a century ago. 

I guess you would have to define "hatred" for me. I saw a few that were anecdotal and mean (just bashing, not supporting with fact/data or tape), but most of what I saw was generally nothing more than debate going back and forth. There were a lot of rose colored glass wearers stumping hard for JB anecdotally too. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No need to apologize for being critical of any player at all. As a fan that's all we can do and that is what fans do. 

But some of the stuff I read about JB goes beyond being critical. 

Thanks for thinking about it though, shows you care. 

Thanks and there's not a more passionate fanbase than the NFL and we can get pretty deep with our emotions over subpar play!  That is no excuse to trash a player that is giving his all to the team we root for.  Keep bringing awareness to the problem and if there any kind of good human being, they will understand!

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You know that is not a popular opinion with the ones who think Kelly is our answer. :)

Honestly, I expect Kelly (if still here) to look better (in games) than Eason pre-season. For whatever reason though, Kelly will be tucked back into the PS (if eligible) for another year. I wouldn't be surprised either if Kelly looked better than JB too. But then we'll  just hear that Kelly was going up against 3s/4s instead of 2s/3s lol... 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not to mention some of the guys that could be available during Preseason or after Cut down day

Yup. It's like musical chairs on crack this year. I expect some more movement before pre-season, and likely the week before the season too.

The staff and the GM is telling you they are carrying 3 QBs this year. It makes sense that they want to see Eason compete with Kelly.  I believe they also dont want to rush the guy on the field too fast. Thats why Ballard in particular keeps down playing any future expectations.

It makes good sense to have Jacoby as the #2 during the regular season so if Rivers goes down weve got a guy with a good deal of experience who can take over. Jacoby is a solid back up if you remove the hatred. And hes got the trust of the locker room despite what happened during the second half of last season. Its not like hes incapable of winning any games. No need to hurry Easons development more than what is necessary.

Ballard just sat there and told all of us that Jacoby is the #2 backup for 2020 so i dont know why people are acting like theres some secret plan being worked behind the scenes to eventually trade Jacoby and move Eason to the #2 spot.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I guess you would have to define "hatred" for me. I saw a few that were anecdotal and mean (just bashing, not supporting with fact/data or tape), but most of what I saw was generally nothing more than debate going back and forth. There were a lot of rose colored glass wearers stumping hard for JB anecdotally too. 

You call those who wear rose colored glasses why?

Could it be some of those including me look at the how and whys of what happens. There is no need to even bring up the how and whys with the larger part of the fans in this forum. They have their minds made up without even considering the how and why things negative happen. It's easier just to none stop rag on a player. 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You call those who wear rose colored glasses why?

Could it be some of those including me look at the how and whys of what happens. There is no need to even bring up the how and whys with the larger part of the fans in this forum. They have their minds made up without even considering the how and why things negative happen. It's easier just to none stop rag on a player. 

Debate is debate, and it's not hatred if fact/data/stats or film utilized. Over the course of the season, early to late, some folks were unwilling to acknowledge performance issues (especially in the first 7 weeks), with some folks blaming the OL (which was hilarious), and other blaming pass catchers for not getting open (which was disproved by all22). 

Using non-anecdotal stuff is not ragging, using anecdotal stuff or just being mean is. And I simply didn't see a bunch of folks being mean. I did see a bunch of folks being critical with stats and film.

When’s rookie camp?   No one knows.  When’s training camp? No one knows.  What happens when there’s a second wave of Coronavirus infections? How much work will drafted and undrafted rookies be able to get in? No one knows.  So, we’re going to release Brissett and count on Eason to back up our 39 year old QB when our GM and owner are in win now mode?  

Rivers is there to win now not to be a mentor.  Not only is it more realistic for JB to be the backup.  He’s probably more likely to be a good mentor and show Eason how to go about his business as a pro. 

If this is a real competition between Eason and Kelly I'm not going to lie and say there's not a part of me that wants Kelly to win it.  I just like some of that Moxie Kelly has.  Seems like he has a strong competitive spirit in him.  He doesn't back down or tuck his tail in prime time and I love his athleticism.  He's got plenty of speed and ability to improvise which is a plus..  I noticed last year during the preseason that he has a knack for  finding his way to the end zone.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

If this is a real competition between Eason and Kelly I'm not going to lie and say there's not a part of me that wants Kelly to win it.  I just like some of that Moxie Kelly has.  Seems like he has a strong competitive spirit in him.  He doesn't back down or tuck his tail in prime time and I love his athleticism.  He's got plenty of speed and ability to improvise which is a plus..  I noticed last year during the preseason that he has a knack for  finding his way to the end zone.

same! I won't lie i want Kelly to win haha

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Is that the full quote...cause that doesn’t necessarily sound like they envision him as the backup. There’s committal about what he he said...and he doesn’t even mention the backup spot. If anything...it sounds more like posturing for a trade. 

And it’s definitely GM speak. They feel so strongly that JB is a starter in the league that they signed Rivers AND drafted a 4th round QB. 

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

There is nothing what so ever to "restructure." His base salary is only 6 million . The roster bonus and signing bonus , both guaranteed , total about 14 million. We have around 26 mill still left for this year. Why would you want to "push" anything into next year ?

I suggested it because I didnt understand his salary or the Cap. Sorry.

9 hours ago, colts89 said:

I think we needed an upgrade for Jacoby this season, but the crap I read from other Colts fans online about him is getting really ridiculous and reminds me how much people pay attention to these games.

Brissett had a tale of two seasons last year, the first half where he definitely had top 12 QB level of play, and the second half after his injury where he was definitely below average (also note other key players on the offense were injured as well, especially the WR corps). I don't think he is the player that can lead the Colts to the top, nor do the Colts it seems, but he can be a decent starting QB in the league.

Rivers will probably be better unless his age catches up to him even faster this year, but Brissett isn't nearly as bad as many people tend to frame him as. I'm completely fine with him being our backup QB this year..

As people know through the 1st 7 games I had him labeled as above average. We were 5-2, he had 14 TD's only 3 INT's, and did have 2 300 yard games. The last half of the season he played below average football, sometimes bad so we had to sign Rivers. JB may be the best backup in the league though, I will give him that. 

11 hours ago, colts89 said:

I think we needed an upgrade for Jacoby this season, but the crap I read from other Colts fans online about him is getting really ridiculous and reminds me how much people pay attention to these games.

Brissett had a tale of two seasons last year, the first half where he definitely had top 12 QB level of play, and the second half after his injury where he was definitely below average (also note other key players on the offense were injured as well, especially the WR corps). I don't think he is the player that can lead the Colts to the top, nor do the Colts it seems, but he can be a decent starting QB in the league.

Rivers will probably be better unless his age catches up to him even faster this year, but Brissett isn't nearly as bad as many people tend to frame him as. I'm completely fine with him being our backup QB this year..

Yeah, I get you. I was among what seems like minority who felt that if there wasn't a true long term upgrade available, I was content with Jacoby getting another shot with a healthier, improved team. That was before Rivers became available of course, so that deal made sense for us, but my thought were always that I thought Brissett looked like a decent mid to low level starting QB whose weaknesses only reared their ugly head after injuries hurt our offense. Due to those weakness a long term upgrade is obviously necessary, but I thought he was still good enough to help us win games, which he did. He helped us win 7 of them. I bet without Rivers, he could possibly win us 9-10 this year with the changes we made. The reality of course is that if we had an Andrew Luck we'd probably be an 11+ win team this year. But those guys don't grow on trees, so I'm glad we have Brissett as backup in case Rivers goes down. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

GM/Coach speak. It's what I would expect him to say. 

Colts seem all-in for a SB run this year based on FA acquisitions and early draft picks.... So wouldn't surprise me at all if they plan to keep him.

He won't let JB go until he knows that either or both Kelly and Eason would be as effective as JB a fill in QB on game day.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Does Kelly still have a year available to be on the PS. I know he was on reserve/non-football injury list his entire first year in the league, so should have one more year for PS eligibility. Not sure about the rules though.

Fairly sure he does. Someone can check. He can't have 3 seasons of at least 6 games on either the P.S. or a 53 man roster. Since he was a Bronco rookie in 2018, I think it's safe to assume he is P.S. eligible.  But the he would be susceptible to another team signing him to a contract and on to their 53/55 man roster.  OTOH, I think with addition of Eason his desire to stay on the P.S. is quite diminished.

12 hours ago, w87r said:

Have to look back at it. Pretty sure Practice squad rules changed. I believe there no limit on PS eligibility.?

Could be wrong.?

In 2019, teams could carry 10 players on the practice squad, 11 if it includes International player(s), but only up to four of them can have two accrued seasons worth of NFL game experience. The remaining (six +)  must have logged fewer than two accrued seasons. And in total, the players are only eligible to remain on the practice squad for three years (a minimum of six games per year). An accrued season equals six games spent on the 53-man roster, injured reserve, or physically unable to perform list. The pay is a minimum salary of $8,000 per week.

Changes to this for 2020 is an expansion to 12 players for 2020-2021 and then grows to 14 players after. The minimum salary will increase $11,500 per week by 2022 and will be eligible for 401(k) and tuition assistance benefits.

Up to two practice-squad players per week may be elevated to the team's roster, and any player elevated from the practice squad to the 55-man roster can be sent back to the practice squad two times without having to clear waivers.

11 hours ago, dw49 said:

Even under 2019 rules , he qualifies.

"Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.  Aug 30, 2019"

Kelly wasn't on the P.S. late last season. He was on the 53 man the latter part of the year. (thus untouchable by other teams). He would have to have been released/cut and go through waivers to even get back on the Colts P.S. last year.  If placed on it this year, he can be signed by any other team directly to their 53/55 man roster. My gut feeling is that could happen and Chad would quickly sign and leave, especially if both JB and Eason were still on the Colts 53/55 man roster.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Listening to ballard he is clearly saying Eason might not make the team. He is a 4th rd so we could cut him. No guarantees.

CB did cut Zack Banner, a round 4 guy. But Banner wasn't a QB.  Eason will have a lot longer leash than Zack and would really have to disappoint mightily to get waived.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

The staff and the GM is telling you they are carrying 3 QBs this year. It makes sense that they want to see Eason compete with Kelly.  I believe they also dont want to rush the guy on the field too fast. Thats why Ballard in particular keeps down playing any future expectations.

It makes good sense to have Jacoby as the #2 during the regular season so if Rivers goes down weve got a guy with a good deal of experience who can take over. Jacoby is a solid back up if you remove the hatred. And hes got the trust of the locker room despite what happened during the second half of last season. Its not like hes incapable of winning any games. No need to hurry Easons development more than what is necessary.

Ballard just sat there and told all of us that Jacoby is the #2 backup for 2020 so i dont know why people are acting like theres some secret plan being worked behind the scenes to eventually trade Jacoby and move Eason to the #2 spot.

Agree with all of this and it's pretty much what I came into this thread to say.  Eason is very green and probably won't be ready to play in his first season.  Sitting on the bench, learning the playbook and watching Rivers play, while picking his mind would do him the most good. In this era, we see a lot of rookies just go into the league ready to start, but I don't see this being the case for Eason, if anything it could stunt his growth and create bad habits. 

Brissett is ready to go and a strong insurance plan as a backup for an aging Rivers.   Don't need any pressure to start Eason this season, just let him sit back and learn.  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has gone way past trashing. I see an out and out hatred that some should be ashamed of. 

Making Brissett your whipping post and your scape goat all at once. 

Criticizing incompetence is not hatred...get real.

Brissett is just not starting material and wayyyy overpaid as a backup.

He had his shot...let him be gone and let Kelly and Eason compete for the 2nd/3rd QB positions.

47 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

He had his shot...let him be gone and let Kelly and Eason compete for the 2nd/3rd QB positions.

The “hatred mantra” being pitched, because some folks don’t think Brissett is a very good QB, is sad. Especially, when it’s blatantly obvious, with Rivers the new starter. 

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

I guess it's hard for you to look and see why the negative circumstances that lead to him not playing well. 

I highly doubt that Kelly will be on the roster when the cut downs come. 

One thing some don't seem to think about is Kelly has been on this team for quite a while and hasn't impressed the coaches enough to advance himself past being a 3rd QB.

IMO Ballard is not going to trust the back up roll to Kelly and Brissett will be here the rest of his contract. 

Could things change? Of course, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

I agree, Brissett is an overpaid backup.  Ballard tried to get ahead of the game and reworked Brissett,'s contract.  It didn't work and now he is an over paid, but I beleive one of the best back ups in the league. Many people believe that the Colts r built to win now. I , myself , believe that Ballard is juat  trying to build a strong roster for the next qb. So if Rivers goes down in the say 3rd game,you are confident with Kelly and Eason being your backups? 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I just hope they do the right thing and keep Chad if he out plays Eason I really hope the kid is actually given a fair shot and this isn't just coach or GM speak 

Why wouldn't they keep Kelly if he out plays Eason? Both qbs have things they need to continue to work on. If Eason doesn't make it put of training camp, so be it. It's only a 4th round pick.  If Kelly makes the roster over Eason it tells me to things. They must see Kelly as having future value and Eason is one lazy guy.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why wouldn't they keep Kelly if he out plays Eason? Both qbs have things they need to continue to work on. If Eason doesn't make it put of training camp, so be it. It's only a 4th round pick.  If Kelly makes the roster over Eason it tells me to things. They must see Kelly as having future value and Eason is one lazy guy.

I'm just saying I don't want them to keep Eason just because I hopebthey will keep the better player but who knows what will happen 

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree, Brissett is an overpaid backup.  Ballard tried to get ahead of the game and reworked Brissett,'s contract.  It didn't work and now he is an over paid, but I beleive one of the best back ups in the league. Many people believe that the Colts r built to win now. I , myself , believe that Ballard is juat  trying to build a strong roster for the next qb. So if Rivers goes down in the say 3rd game,you are confident with Kelly and Eason being your backups? 

As far as being built to win now or for the next QB, I think this team has the best of both worlds.  There is a lot of young talent on this team that won't reach their prime until after Rivers is gone.  At the same time, this team is talented enough to make the playoffs and once they get there anything could happen.  Outside of Kansas City, the AFC is wide open now.  

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm just saying I don't want them to keep Eason just because I hopebthey will keep the better player but who knows what will happen 

I do believe that Eason may have a leg up as he seems to fit what Reich wants in a qb. That being said, he slacks off and he is gone.  Honestly, who says that either Eason or Kelly is on the Colts to begin the season. They both could b cut and they could go with 2 qbs

Archived