Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on Jacoby

CR91

14 hours ago, krunk said:

The staff and the GM is telling you they are carrying 3 QBs this year. It makes sense that they want to see Eason compete with Kelly.  I believe they also dont want to rush the guy on the field too fast. Thats why Ballard in particular keeps down playing any future expectations.

It makes good sense to have Jacoby as the #2 during the regular season so if Rivers goes down weve got a guy with a good deal of experience who can take over. Jacoby is a solid back up if you remove the hatred. And hes got the trust of the locker room despite what happened during the second half of last season. Its not like hes incapable of winning any games. No need to hurry Easons development more than what is necessary.

Ballard just sat there and told all of us that Jacoby is the #2 backup for 2020 so i dont know why people are acting like theres some secret plan being worked behind the scenes to eventually trade Jacoby and move Eason to the #2 spot.

Because that’s what some people want to happen and they are only looking for signs that what they want to happen is going to happen.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree, Brissett is an overpaid backup.  Ballard tried to get ahead of the game and reworked Brissett,'s contract.  It didn't work and now he is an over paid, but I beleive one of the best back ups in the league. Many people believe that the Colts r built to win now. I , myself , believe that Ballard is juat  trying to build a strong roster for the next qb. So if Rivers goes down in the say 3rd game,you are confident with Kelly and Eason being your backups? 

If Rivers went down early in the season for potentially the rest of the season I would rather have CK or Eason get in there and see what they can do/become by the end of the season. Then we find out if we have our future franchise QB or we fall on our face and end up with a top draft pick to get a franchise QB; Instead of JB coming in and giving us an ~8-8 record and/or limping into the playoffs with no real shot and being out of range of the top QBs in the draft next year. 

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He won't let JB go until he knows that either or both Kelly and Eason would be as effective as JB a fill in QB on game day.

My gut thinks we'll just keep him because of what we're already on the hook to pay. I just don't think we'll have offers given the market. Might as well keep him unless we're hard up for the delta would be (savings).

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Fairly sure he does. Someone can check. He can't have 3 seasons of at least 6 games on either the P.S. or a 53 man roster. Since he was a Bronco rookie in 2018, I think it's safe to assume he is P.S. eligible.  But the he would be susceptible to another team signing him to a contract and on to their 53/55 man roster.  OTOH, I think with addition of Eason his desire to stay on the P.S. is quite diminished.

He was actually a rook in 2017 and on the reserve/non-football injury list after having offseason wrist surgery the entire year. I'm just not sure how they treat that designation. I'm guessing though it doesn't count, so if not, he should be good. 

Like above, I think we have a bit of market saturation. Or at least enough to gamble with him sitting on PS... I really don't think it will diminish his desire to stay. If we do WANT to keep him, I'm not sure he'll find a "friendlier" team. If JB does stay, Eason won't see snaps anyway. And with both JB and PR on one year deals, there's still a carrot. It'll be interesting, but that's my gut. I'd ride out another high paid cush PS slot if I could. If a guy like Belichick came calling, that's another question lol.

Like someone said earlier with the virus we will probably have very little time for face to face work. So keeping Jacoby makes sense. Even keeping Kelly could make sense in their mind and letting Eason go with so little work.

I think once they can see Eason in person and his commitment maybe then they could see letting Jacoby go. But with the limited work it’s probably not very smart.

I just hope Eason gets a fair shake because he will have very little time to impress them.

Looks like the NBA is starting to let players back into the facilities from the states that are lifting orders. I know the nfl said they won’t allow it until all states with teams lift orders. Hopefully we see that by June.

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My gut thinks we'll just keep him because of what we're already on the hook to pay. I just don't think we'll have offers given the market. Might as well keep him unless we're hard up for the delta would be (savings).

He was actually a rook in 2017 and on the reserve/non-football injury list after having offseason wrist surgery the entire year. I'm just not sure how they treat that designation. I'm guessing though it doesn't count, so if not, he should be good. 

Like above, I think we have a bit of market saturation. Or at least enough to gamble with him sitting on PS... I really don't think it will diminish his desire to stay. If we do WANT to keep him, I'm not sure he'll find a "friendlier" team. If JB does stay, Eason won't see snaps anyway. And with both JB and PR on one year deals, there's still a carrot. It'll be interesting, but that's my gut. I'd ride out another high paid cush PS slot if I could. If a guy like Belichick came calling, that's another question lol.

I would do the same. Because If Jacoby wants to stay he is a backup. So will he want to go somewhere else? Or is he satisfied being a backup to rivers again or young QB. IF he leaves we very well could see a backup spot for Kelly in the future.  

Eason won’t last on the PS. So he is either cut or on the team.  The question will be  will he have enough time to make a impression with not being able to be here.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would do the same. Because If Jacoby wants to stay he is a backup. So will he want to go somewhere else? Or is he satisfied being a backup to rivers again or young QB. IF he leaves we very well could see a backup spot for Kelly in the future.  

I didn't mean keep him post 2020. Just 2020 instead of cutting or trading. I'd absolutely let him go after 2020 unless he wants to resign for cheap. I have zero desire to see JB has the QB1, and I'm pretty sure he still has the fight and desire to want to go somewhere to compete for QB1. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason won’t last on the PS. So he is either cut or on the team.  The question will be  will he have enough time to make a impression with not being able to be here.

I'm not saying put Eason on PS. I know Ballard says he's competing for #3, but I call that nonsense. He's got a roster spot, and they're not putting him on the PS unless he totally stinks it up and they don't mind a team snatching him. Not sure what you mean about not being able to be here?

I meant Jacoby as a backup. Maybe he decides after 2020 he is ok just being a backup and likes it here. But if Eason progresses enough maybe there isn’t a place as the backup for him if rivers comes back. I was just saying there are all kinds of scenerious where Kelly has a decent chance to be the long term backup here. So maybe he rides it out on the PS.  

There will be a fan war on here during TC and preseason games that is for sure. One side of the Eason Kelly debate will be disappointed.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I didn't mean keep him post 2020. Just 2020 instead of cutting or trading. I'd absolutely let him go after 2020 unless he wants to resign for cheap. I have zero desire to see JB has the QB1, and I'm pretty sure he still has the fight and desire to want to go somewhere to compete for QB1. 

I'm not saying put Eason on PS. I know Ballard says he's competing for #3, but I call that nonsense. He's got a roster spot, and they're not putting him on the PS unless he totally stinks it up and they don't mind a team snatching him. Not sure what you mean about not being able to be here?

If this was a normal year the rookies would be having a rookie mini camp soon There is a chance there might not even be a mini camp. NO is having no offseason camps. Told their players to come prepared in July. So the contact with Eason and getting to know him won’t be as long as it might be if we didn’t have this virus.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this was a normal year the rookies would be having a rookie mini camp soon There is a chance there might not even be a mini camp. NO is having no offseason camps. Told their players to come prepared in July. So the contact with Eason and getting to know him won’t be as long as it might be if we didn’t have this virus.

Ah. Not sure it matters though. All players/teams are working under the same conditions. 

Eason isn't getting cut regardless, and won't see a snap this year unless there injury or some weird stuff.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Ah. Not sure it matters though. All players/teams are working under the same conditions. 

Eason isn't getting cut regardless, and won't see a snap this year unless there injury or some weird stuff.

I hope we see players getting together soon and working with each other. Kevin Bowen mentioned today it’s important rivers tries to get with the WR and start working with them soon. Hopefully Eason gets his number and starts picking his brain soon. Pittman said he wanted his number so he could start working with him.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hope we see players getting together soon and working with each other. Kevin Bowen mentioned today it’s important rivers tries to get with the WR and start working with them soon. Hopefully Eason gets his number and starts picking his brain soon. Pittman said he wanted his number so he could start working with him.

I think TY, Campbell, Pittman, Fountain, Pascal, and Dulin all need to go quarantine with Rivers and his family. That's almost enough to babysit his 9 kids..... 

Archived