Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on Jacoby

CR91

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're doing an injustice to Jacoby if we keep him on the roster, especially with Eason in the picture.  Best for both parties is that Jacoby finds a new home as a starter elsewhere, b/c he will be walking after his contract this year is done.  He's a good team mate in the locker room, no doubt about it, has a good attitude, has never had an issue off the field....Good luck to Jacoby if and when he leaves...

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think we're doing an injustice to Jacoby if we keep him on the roster, especially with Eason in the picture.  Best for both parties is that Jacoby finds a new home as a starter elsewhere, b/c he will be walking after his contract this year is done.  He's a good team mate in the locker room, no doubt about it, has a good attitude, has never had an issue off the field....Good luck to Jacoby if and when he leaves...

I dont think we did an injustice to Jacoby at all.

We gave him like $40m we didnt have to. Could of let him play out his $1m rookie deal.

He can get over it. We will hold on him until we get an offer, or until we need his $8.8m cap space he would free up.

I see the point. They don’t know what they have in Eason yet. Ballard just said Eason has to make the team and is competing with Kelly for that 3rd spot. He said he is a 4th rd pick not like we traded up to one. Until we get him in the building and see his work ethic ect we don’t know what we have. So as of right now Jacoby is the backup.

GM/Coach speak. It's what I would expect him to say. 

Colts seem all-in for a SB run this year based on FA acquisitions and early draft picks.... So wouldn't surprise me at all if they plan to keep him.

Does Kelly still have a year available to be on the PS. I know he was on reserve/non-football injury list his entire first year in the league, so should have one more year for PS eligibility. Not sure about the rules though.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Colts seem all-in for a SB run this year based on FA acquisitions and early draft picks.... So wouldn't surprise me at all if they plan to keep him.

Does Kelly still have a year available to be on the PS. I know he was on reserve/non-football injury list his entire first year in the league, so should have one more year for PS eligibility. Not sure about the rules though.

Have to look back at it. Pretty sure Practice squad rules changed. I believe there no limit on PS eligibility.?

Could be wrong.?

I think we needed an upgrade for Jacoby this season, but the crap I read from other Colts fans online about him is getting really ridiculous and reminds me how much people pay attention to these games.

Brissett had a tale of two seasons last year, the first half where he definitely had top 12 QB level of play, and the second half after his injury where he was definitely below average (also note other key players on the offense were injured as well, especially the WR corps). I don't think he is the player that can lead the Colts to the top, nor do the Colts it seems, but he can be a decent starting QB in the league.

Rivers will probably be better unless his age catches up to him even faster this year, but Brissett isn't nearly as bad as many people tend to frame him as. I'm completely fine with him being our backup QB this year..

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I miss the old days of GM/Coach speak. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hopefully Jacoby doesn’t turn into what the AV situation did last year.

I don't see how the 2 could draw the same parallel.?

If Jacoby plays, I imagine we will be happy we still have him, and give us the best chance to win that game.(Assuming Rivers is hurt?) Where of which, the only thing he is truly affecting at this moment is his $8m+  cap hit, that we could recoup if we wanted.

AV was held onto to long, and literally cost us games and playoff opportunity.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Have to look back at it. Pretty sure Practice squad rules changed. I believe there no limit on PS eligibility.?

Could be wrong.?

I think teams are allowed to have a few guys with 2 "full" years of experience on the PS. Might be 3 years. I'll have to dig here in few.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I don't see how the 2 could draw the same parallel.?

If Jacoby plays, I imagine we will be happy we still have him, and give us the best chance to win that game.(Assuming Rivers is hurt?) Where of which, the only thing he is truly affecting at this moment is his $8m+  cap hit, that we could recoup if we wanted.

AV was held onto to long, and literally cost us games and playoff opportunity.

Hanging on to the dream that he can be a starter some day therefore letting your blind loyalty get in the way. You can dream it but won’t make it come true.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Hanging on to the dream that he can be a starter some day therefore letting your blind loyalty get in the way. You can dream it but won’t make it come true.

I get the blind loyalty part, but the 2 sitautions are completely different.

Only thing Brissett is hurting us with is his $8.8m cap space that isnt guaranteed.

If he is here, he will be a 2nd good mentor for Eason.

If Rivers gets hurt he will play. Again giving us best chance to win that week.

Most likely just a good back up to have in a season where you have high aspirations.

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Until he's gone.  I mean seriously what else can he say at this point.  Same old same old. 

Wish he would say nothing at all. The fact that we have a !2M+ QB that no one wants is why we are keeping him around. Wish we could just end this drama.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I see the point. They don’t know what they have in Eason yet. Ballard just said Eason has to make the team and is competing with Kelly for that 3rd spot. He said he is a 4th rd pick not like we traded up to one. Until we get him in the building and see his work ethic ect we don’t know what we have. So as of right now Jacoby is the backup.

This was pretty obvious to me.  It’s Eason vs. Kelly.  Jacoby is the 2. We need him backing up Rivers.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Until he's gone.  I mean seriously what else can he say at this point.  Same old same old. 

When you bring in Rivers to replace Jacoby as a strarter and then bring in Eason to be the heir apparent. What more can you say?

Listening to ballard he is clearly saying Eason might not make the team. He is a 4th rd so we could cut him. No guarantees.

More GM/Coach speak.

They are not cutting Eason. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That could change after training camp. Once they see what they have with Eason. 

I’m a fan of Eason. Advocated for him over Love on here.  And I will tell you he isn’t ready yet.  Needs to sit and learn.  No way he is taking the 2 spot from Jacoby in 2020.  Eason’s focus will be on learning the play book and trying to win over management, the coaching staff and the locker room with his work ethic and attitude. 

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well ir only has one year. Some may not like it bur he is a great backup to have. We can afford it this year. 

Isn't worth the money he is making he is garbage never will be a full time starter that is worth a crap to me its a no brainer to trade or release Brissett.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Isn't worth the money he is making he is garbage never will be a full time starter that is worth a crap to me its a no brainer to trade or release Brissett.

That doesn’t matter. 

One of the reasons Ballard is defending Jacoby so hard is he knows how bad he has been trashed. Some of it goes beyond ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

Could be wrong.?

Even under 2019 rules , he qualifies.

"Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.  Aug 30, 2019"

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’m a fan of Eason. Advocated for him over Love on here.  And I will tell you he isn’t ready yet.  Needs to sit and learn.  No way he is taking the 2 spot from Jacoby in 2020.  Eason’s focus will be on learning the play book and trying to win over management, the coaching staff and the locker room with his work ethic and attitude. 

I would agree this is probably what happens. Just saying that there is always a chance he is farther along then they think.

That doesn’t matter. 

One of the reasons Ballard is defending Jacoby so hard is he knows how bad he has been trashed. Some of it goes beyond ridiculous.

Im sorry apparently you didn't see how pathetic this guy looked in that Saints game he was awful in that game he made a garbage Saints defense look awesome matter of fact he made a bunch of bad defenses look good and that is garbage what goes beyond ridiculous is how many people on here defend this guy.

What a crock!  I hope Ballard doesn't really believe the bull he is selling us because that would cast serious doubt on his decision-making ability.

Barring that, I hope his ego isn't still defending the Brissett trade.

Good managers cut their losses and move on, mediocre ones hang on to their previous decisions under the delusion that they were smart moves.

26 minutes ago, w87r said:

I get the blind loyalty part, but the 2 sitautions are completely different.

Only thing Brissett is hurting us with is his $8.8m cap space that isnt guaranteed.

If he is here, he will be a 2nd good mentor for Eason.

If Rivers gets hurt he will play. Again giving us best chance to win that week.

Most likely just a good back up to have in a season where you have high aspirations.

Having a 38 year old , and also this virus still being around, we might as well keep him, since he knows the system, and has Reich coaching him.  But anyone thinking JB can go somewhere and get a Starting Job Is delusional, IMO.  He seems to be a great kid. He can come in and get the team thru a quarter or maybe a game. Restructure his contract, and keep him this year as a backup, if he’ll restructure.

Archived