Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on Jacoby

CR91

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Having a 38 year old , and also this virus still being around, we might as well keep him, since he knows the system, and has Reich coaching him.  But anyone thinking JB can go somewhere and get a Starting Job Is delusional, IMO.  He seems to be a great kid. He can come in and get the team thru a quarter or maybe a game. Restructure his contract, and keep him this year as a backup, if he’ll restructure.

Even if it is not restructured the deal is not hurting the team so far

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That doesn’t matter. 

One of the reasons Ballard is defending Jacoby so hard is he knows how bad he has been trashed. Some of it goes beyond ridiculous.

Cloe, I think Ballard talking like JB still may be the answer for our future is perpetuating the trashing as you call it. JB is not our future franchise QB and the fact he has no residual value now is the reason he is still around but when CB keeps pumping him makes some of us nervous.   

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Ehhh... I take all that with a grain of salt.

I think it all depends on how they end up valuing Kelly. If they like him a lot , enough to think he has a shot to start in 2021 , Brissett will 100% be traded. If no trade can be found , then he's cut. If Kelly is cut or moved to the PS , Brissett stays. 6 mill is not all that costly for a good backup. 

IMO , the odds would be around this for being the "odd man out."

Eason   10%

Brissett 35%

Kelly      55% 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Even if it is not restructured the deal is not hurting the team so far

Yep, good point. This Virus Year is messing everything up. We need good backups, more than usual. Thank goodness for expanded rosters. It could be a disaster if a star or stars gets the virus and is quarantined (or worse).

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Yep, good point. This Virus Year is messing everything up. We need good backups, more than usual. Thank goodness for expanded rosters. It could be a disaster if a star or stars gets the virus and is quarantined (or worse).

It is going to be a weird season

I have a feeling this is why some traditional QBs dropped in the draft behind Gadget QBs

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Listening to ballard he is clearly saying Eason might not make the team. He is a 4th rd so we could cut him. No guarantees.

I think it is more than that. Ballard is sending a clean message to Eason. Any slacking off and u r gone. No second chances.  All world arm, but their are concerns and Ballard wants Eason to know thathe he is quite aware of what they r.

I'm a little torn on this one...If we can handle the salary, then absolutely come game time i want him backing up Rivers...He's not a good starting QB but he is a top 5 backup QB.

On the other hand, come practice time, does that mean Eason is getting like 5 reps with the 3rd stringers at the end of practice? I'm not really an Eason fan or an Eason hater, but if we're gonna develop him, develop him

I think I found an example of a win win solution on a JB trade.  I went on Spotrac and started messing around with their trade feature which is free.  I looked at NE who is really in cap trouble and could use some relief.  They also might be receptive to getting JB back.  I proposed a straight up trade of JB for their starting guard Joe Thuney who has a cap hit of around 14M.  The result of the trade is NE gets JB and picks up an additional 6M in cap space.  We get Thuney but lose 6M in cap space.  JB has a dead cap hit 12M which gets figured in all of this but when it all shakes out NE gets JB and 6M more in cap and we get a player but we lose an additional 6M of cap.  Thuney is a very good player BTW.  So it looks like it's not impossible you just have to find the right situation and player to make it work.  I'm guessing we would always lose some cap space but their is an opportunity to get a player which makes it palatable I think.  I actually read somewhere earlier that Thuney could be a cut candidate for them if forced to get cap space.  This way they get space and JB back.  Anyway I thought it was an interesting exercise.

17 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Having a 38 year old , and also this virus still being around, we might as well keep him, since he knows the system, and has Reich coaching him.  But anyone thinking JB can go somewhere and get a Starting Job Is delusional, IMO.  He seems to be a great kid. He can come in and get the team thru a quarter or maybe a game. Restructure his contract, and keep him this year as a backup, if he’ll restructure.

There is nothing what so ever to "restructure." His base salary is only 6 million . The roster bonus and signing bonus , both guaranteed , total about 14 million. We have around 26 mill still left for this year. Why would you want to "push" anything into next year ?

27 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Ehhh... I take all that with a grain of salt.

I think it all depends on how they end up valuing Kelly. If they like him a lot , enough to think he has a shot to start in 2021 , Brissett will 100% be traded. If no trade can be found , then he's cut. If Kelly is cut or moved to the PS , Brissett stays. 6 mill is not all that costly for a good backup. 

IMO , the odds would be around this for being the "odd man out."

Eason   10%

Brissett 35%

Kelly      55% 

I agree. But I'd say if Kelly has PS eligibility left, all 4 may be kept.

My %s....

Eason 5%

Brissett 30%

Kelly 35%

Keeping all 4 (if CK has PS eligibility) 30%

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Kelly vs. Eason.  The battle we all wanted. May the more entitled person win.

jk. It is going to be fun because Kelly is supposedly getting a legit chance to fight for a position.  Will it divide Colts fans? Yes. Haha

Good battle...as long as Brissett is outa here!

JB is just an expensive, rep taking log jam at the QB position. Let CK and Eason battle it out for #2. Let's get a good look and see what we really have at QB post Rivers so we know whether or not we need to go hard/pay up for a QB next draft. 

Jacoby is still a great backup. I think letting him play out his contract is the right move. 

Let him leave next year at free agency and let another team pick him up as a above average back-up at least then it will go towards compensatory picks

42 minutes ago, Superfly said:

And hurting feelings.

:peek:

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I miss the days of Coaches and GMs smoking cigars and cussing... 

Ready or not, The new Colts are making bold moves to rise to the level of competition (Chefs, Ravens, Bills, Pittsburg)

The question that needs to be asked is this a true competition for the backup QB position. 
Or did Frank just GIVE  that to Jacoby as a courtesy. Because if this is a true competition, between Jacoby, Chad, and Easton. He (Jacoby) might be in trouble this fall.

I would like to see how each one looks with the number one O-line. Jacoby should have an advantage because he knows the play book. But his problem is when he has to go off script.

2 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

The question that needs to be asked is this a true competition for the backup QB position. 
Or did Frank just GIVE  that to Jacoby as a courtesy. Because if this is a true competition, between Jacoby, Chad, and Easton. He (Jacoby) might be in trouble this fall.

I would like to see how each one looks with the number one O-line. Jacoby should have an advantage because he knows the play book. But his problem is when he has to go off script.

It’s not that simple! 

kanye west dollar bills GIF

But it could be!

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just wait. When Eason Our performs Jacoby in the preseason. There is no way ballard can look at this and say he isn’t better in so many areas. Heck Kelly might even out perform Jacoby.

Take that one game with a grain of salt. He had good games vs Washington and Utah as well, but tossed some INTs those games. His last 4 games were not-so-great, which is why his stock dropped.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just wait. When Eason Our performs Jacoby in the preseason. There is no way ballard can look at this and say he isn’t better in so many areas. Heck Kelly might even out perform Jacoby.

@0:23 that pass to the corner of the endzone was $

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Take that one game with a grain of salt. He had good games vs Washington and Utah as well, but tossed some INTs those games. His last 4 games were not-so-great, which is why his stock dropped.

With that mind set. Joe Burrows (Number 1 pick) couldn’t  beat Jacoby out this fall. After seeing what Jacoby did and didn’t do last year is enough to show this fan base he is not the one.

1 hour ago, colts89 said:

Brissett had a tale of two seasons last year, the first half where he definitely had top 12 QB

This is a myth.  He had moments, like the big end of game throw under duress.... But this team did not win because of Brissett, or anything he did really.  It won mostly on things he didn't do, like turn the ball over a lot.

Dude threw 2 td pg, 225ypg, 6.5 ypa, 64% completion rate... Threw three picks, fumbled four times, lost three....  Anyone who thought he was gonna keep this up and was going to throw for 32 tds and six picks for the year was either his Mom, or his barber....  

That's not trashing him.  Those are the facts over the phenomenal first seven weeks everyone wants to say is the real JB.

And it was definitely only downhill from there.  It wasn't just his injury, or the WR Injuries.  They didn't help, but he was the prevent defense version of a QB those first seven weeks.   Part of his regression was that defensive staffs and players discovered he was not only limited, he was stubborn and lacked the ability to adjust.  That's been the tape on him since FL.  Parcells says he's gonna be great, awesome...... Who cares.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I'm fine with Brissett returning as the backup.  That's what he is.  He's a backup, a solid backup.

That said, I'll never understand why Ballard and Frank feel compelled to artificially pump Brissett up in the press.  If anything, it's been counterproductive.  It has not helped a thing.  Rookie GM/rookie head coach mistake.  You signed a starting QB and drafted another.  That speaks for itself.  Just let it be. 

Now that Eason has been drafted, Frank probably has Brissett's special package up to 14 plays a game.  

Archived