Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Press Conference - April 17

aReggie7

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

True, day 2 was pretty good with contributors at WR last year. I guess part of it is me loving this draft too(BTW I loved last year's WRs too) and the other part is I don't think it takes a ton to improve the current situation. We have TY and we have Pascal and the hope of what Campbell can be. No one else on the roster has shown anything of note so far. It's not hard to improve from Ashton Dulin, Chad Williams, Rodney Adams, Reece Fountain coming back from brutal injury, Malik Henry and Artavis Scott...

I'm not saying those will be pro bowlers year 1, but a lot of them can play and contribute early, I think.

Well you know how I feel about falling in love with traitsy receivers. Just because they're big and athletic doesn't mean they'll be ready right away, and I think that's what people are anticipating. Especially because 'this is the deepest WR class ever' and all that... 

I'll be hoping any WR we draft will be able to improve the room. But I think, if healthy, the guys we have now will be productive enough, especially with the upgrade at QB. And again, if we really want someone who will make a difference in 2020, we should grab a veteran. I'm not thrilled about trading for Alshon, but I would expect more out of him than Shenault, for instance.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well you know how I feel about falling in love with traitsy receivers. Just because they're big and athletic doesn't mean they'll be ready right away, and I think that's what people are anticipating. Especially because 'this is the deepest WR class ever' and all that... 

I'll be hoping any WR we draft will be able to improve the room. But I think, if healthy, the guys we have now will be productive enough, especially with the upgrade at QB. And again, if we really want someone who will make a difference in 2020, we should grab a veteran. I'm not thrilled about trading for Alshon, but I would expect more out of him than Shenault, for instance.

This has been a bold prediction of mine I've shared a couple of times here - we trade late pick for Alshon. Ballard tried to get him the year he went to Philly, Frank coached him in Philly and won it all with him... And now it looks like Philly is trying to trade him and the Colts need a big bodied contested catch receiver... It makes too much sense. It makes even more sense with Ballard all of a sudden making bold win-now moves. I think Alshon is past it but yeah... I would not be totally opposed to spending a 5-6th for him... And if it doesn't work out just let him go and get a comp pick back for him the following year(we have a ton of 1 year contracts).

So what are your favorite receivers on day 2?

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

I think Fountain should be counted on to  get playing time.  it’s his turn if he’s healthy. 

I think it's hard to count on a player who barely made his debut in his rookie year and then suffered a horrific injury and missed his year 2. I don't think you can go into next season penciling in Fountain as a contributor. Absolutely give him the chance to get that playing time and if he succeeds that would be a great bonus, but don't just count on him to do it when he hasn't shown he can do it when healthy and now we have additional questions because of his injury.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think it's hard to count on a player who barely made his debut in his rookie year and then suffered a horrific injury and missed his year 2. I don't think you can go into next season penciling in Fountain as a contributor. Absolutely give him the chance to get that playing time and if he succeeds that would be a great bonus, but don't just count on him to do it when he hasn't shown he can do it when healthy and now we have additional questions because of his injury.

Plus athlete, was having a great camp. before his injury, a year of mental reps. It seems to me he is a perfect candidate to make a jump.

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

So what are your favorite receivers on day 2?

I don't know the class well enough yet. I haven't watched some of these guys very closely. I like Mims, but I wonder about his hands. I like Justin Jefferson but I'm not sure about his explosiveness; kind of reminds me of AJ Brown in that regard.

Several guys I'd be happy to have on Day 2, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know the class well enough yet. I haven't watched some of these guys very closely. I like Mims, but I wonder about his hands. I like Justin Jefferson but I'm not sure about his explosiveness; kind of reminds me of AJ Brown in that regard.

I'd like to hear your opinion on Michael Pittman Jr and Van Jefferson.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

They asked him six different ways about how the shutdown is affecting their draft prep. Another 4 questions were about the QB position. 

I feel like Colts fans are being done a disservice by local media. It would be nice if these guys would stop asking the same questions.

They are bad. It seems like the only good intel we get from Ballard is either volunteered (like the post draft sit down after 2018) or original content (“With the Next Pick”). 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Make sure to watch Aiyuk...he’s like a slightly taller Kirk with much longer arms. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

OL should be one group...since we are only talking about 3 positions...with AC and Kelly as entrenched starters. And Smith was actually drafted as a G...so we could also just look at as IOL.

Disagree. Almost every view we see has OL broken out to T and iOL when looking at draft grades/mocks/etc. On Smith, he was only seen as a guard by some because of arm length. Others saw him either/or. He played both T and G at Auburn, but more G because Auburn liked to run a lot more than passing (at least the years Smith was there). They also had some good Ts during the time Smith was there (Coleman, PTW who I love this year, and others).

LB also has more with the Okereke pick...and depending on how you

view the Banogu pick...who was drafted to be a SAM (at least part time).

S has a top 15 pick and an early 4th rounder...which is more investment.

So really...WR is behind DE, LB, IOL, CB and S...and the Campbell pick was just last year. 

The discussion was early draft capital (expected starters). Oke was late 3rd (middle rounds). All the SAM talk about Banogu was silly. He was a DE and they didn't spend a lot of time with that experiment at SAM at all.

Aiken, Grant and Inman were all cheap one-year deals...and Funchess was a one-year deal as well...albeit a tier above those.

Grant was not a cheap guy. Right before he signed with Indy, Baltimore tried to sign him to a 4 year 30M dollar deal, but it got scrapped due to failed physical. We gave him 5M for one year even with the health concerns as a prove it deal. 2018 was not a great year for FA WRs. IMO, we should have kept Moncrief. 

I think Ballard has much very much taken the “value” approach (some might say “bargain bin”) to the WR position. But it only takes one draft.

Ballard took over a roster that needed a massive overhaul in many spots. WR was not one of them. Even with our WRs, people forget Indy was 6th in passing yards in 2018. And that was with Rogers as the #2 WR.....  And in 2019, had we had Andrew Luck and healthy WRs, a starting TY, Funchess, and Campbell (with Hines catching from the backfield) would have been feared passing game. Injury + bad QB play is 90% of the story if not more. 

18 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

So I keep asking this question.   Lets say we draft Gordon.  Are carrying 3 QB's on the active roster all yr?   Because I am pretty sure Gordon would get picked up if placed on the practice squad.

Am I the only one that sees this problem?

We have two extra roster spots now 55 instead of 53 so one of them can be the third qb

32 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The more the merrier 

I'm actually just happy they did this for the OL. The rule lets us specialize a bit more, instead of prioritizing combo guys like T/Gs, or G/Cs. It will be interesting to see how they police the rule though.

Regardless, it's nice to even have one extra guy aside from the OL given we'll likely carry 6 WRs again, and probably more DBs given all the shake up at CB.

After reading all these comments there is only one thing I can honestly say. 

While I never want time to go fast I'm sure as hades will be glad when April 23 at 8 PM gets here. 

haha

For those who are panicking about the QB position stay calm and let Ballard do his job.  Notice: he is pretty good at it. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, Barry Sears said:

Here's a link to the entire press conference - https://www.colts.com/video/chris-ballard-speaks-to-the-media-ahead-of-2020-nfl-draft

I didn't know we also signed Paris Hilton...LOL..listen closely.

I know I heard that..lol

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

After reading all these comments there is only one thing I can honestly say. 

While I never want time to go fast I'm sure as hades will be glad when April 23 at 8 PM gets here. 

haha

For those who are panicking about the QB position stay calm and let Ballard do his job.  Notice: he is pretty good at it. 

Yes he is

On 4/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, Chloe6124 said:

If we don’t take a QB it has the possibility of setting us so far behind. What if rivers is terrible. What if he decides it is time to retire. We have no QB for 2021. Jacoby is not going to resign if rivers is bad. We need a qb ready to step in if this doesn’t work out. I would hate to have to start a rookie with this team being in it’s prime. Having rivers is the  perfect time to get that QB ready so we have no set backs.

Taking the wrong QB will set the Colts further behind than taking no QB at all.

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wish people would stop this dumb argument. No one is saying take the wrong QB. Like I said a guy like Gordon in the later round who has a lot of traits Reich likes is the perfect one to take. It’s no risk in the 3rd or 4th. But at least gives us a QB under contract in 2021. At worst we have a future backup.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wish people would stop this dumb argument. No one is saying take the wrong QB. Like I said a guy like Gordon in the later round who has a lot of traits Reich likes is the perfect one to take. It’s no risk in the 3rd or 4th. But at least gives us a QB under contract in 2021. At worst we have a future backup.

Not the way the NFL or football works

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Full House 90S Tv GIF

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wish people would stop the dumb argument of no QBs under contract in 2021, so they have to draft one.  There will be QBs available to sign, all 3 on the Colts roster as a matter of fact and the Colts will get a chance to sign them before any other team.  So to draft a QB if he is not at the top of the board would go against everything CB said in his press conference and that would, in fact, be drafting the wrong QB.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I really doubt we'll see two WRs in the first 3 rounds. I can see a WR in the 2nd, and then maybe another in the 5th or 6th. We have too many other needs that should be addressed in the 3rd or 4th (or second 2nd round pick). And the potential WR taken later isn't going to walk in and take more snaps than Pascal, or likely won't be able to displace Fountain (maybe not even Dulin).

Hines is simply and APB, and shouldn't be lumped in with the other RBs. I know Ballard and Reich like to say they like him as a "RB", but he's a true APB, not a "RB". He's a satellite guy you want on 3rd and long, or as a change of pace guy. I'd like them to use him more in sweeps, etc., as well as catching.

I left out a down the field TE as a possible alternative to a second WR. 

Frankly, if we went with Kmet at 34 (not necessarily a down the field guy as much as an all around TE) and Pittman at 44, we have our receiving corps settled and some weapons to keep Rivers in a Colts uniform for maybe three total seasons.  Keeps pressure off of the QB hunt too.

Or a big college WR at 75 that coverts to NFL TE that plays the Ebron role.

Early in Hines career, he was getting carries as Mack's backup.  He was nothing special.  This year he was clearly used more in the capacity he should be.  He should be getting the ball near the LOS but not necessarily on a handoff unless its a jet sweep or something similar.  In that respect, I call him a receiver even though he will be wearing a RB number and probably be listed on the RB depth chart.  But the plays where he gets the ball are completely different from the plays where Mack gets the ball, most of the time.

My depth charts aren't as accurate as the norm.  In today's NFL, I see teams usually using one TE and one RB as receivers, so that's how I think of them.

We need two more high talented "receivers".  So I'm hoping that we get two by pick 75 or a real sleeper in the 4th.  In that respect, I completely agree with what @Chloe6124 was saying.  No more 5th and 6th rounders to sit on the bench for a year or two hoping they develop.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

PrincetonTiger... I always enjoy your posts but I have to admit, I lose a little respect for anyone that does a Full House gif. :) (jk by the way)

Could be worse. 

It could be the Brady Bunch.

:peek:

49 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I left out a down the field TE as a possible alternative to a second WR. 

Frankly, if we went with Kmet at 34 (not necessarily a down the field guy as much as an all around TE) and Pittman at 44, we have our receiving corps settled and some weapons to keep Rivers in a Colts uniform for maybe three total seasons.  Keeps pressure off of the QB hunt too.

Or a big college WR at 75 that coverts to NFL TE that plays the Ebron role.

There was some talk during his college career that Claypool should convert to TE. He's only 12lbs shy of Ebron's weight for instance, is lean, and has the frame to carry extra weight. He's bigger than Funchess who played both TE and WR in college. I don't want Claypool to convert, but I just point out that he's basically an X that is a TE-lite when worked out of the slot. Really, any 6-4 WR working out of the slot is more or less a TE-lite so long as they're not a stick.

While I think they will take a TE this year, don't sleep on MAC having a big role this year. He was developing and coming on nicely before his growth was stunted by bad QB play. Don't forget he was one of the first extended after the season.

Early in Hines career, he was getting carries as Mack's backup.  He was nothing special.  This year he was clearly used more in the capacity he should be.  He should be getting the ball near the LOS but not necessarily on a handoff unless its a jet sweep or something similar.  In that respect, I call him a receiver even though he will be wearing a RB number and probably be listed on the RB depth chart.  But the plays where he gets the ball are completely different from the plays where Mack gets the ball, most of the time.

Hines getting carries doesn't mean his not an APB. Just means the FO things his running is better than other true RBs on the roster. Or perhaps it's as simple is his value on the field is higher (all purpose) than other RBs on the roster (when Mack is out). And APBs do get normal RB carries. They have too, or Ds will sell out every time they step on the field. 

My depth charts aren't as accurate as the norm.  In today's NFL, I see teams usually using one TE and one RB as receivers, so that's how I think of them.

In 2018, we used 11 personnel (1 RB / 1 TE / 3WR) 67% of the time. In 2019 52% of the time due to QB play. In 2018, we used 11 second most in the league. 

We used 12 (1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR) 21% of the time in 2018, and 30% in 2019. 

We used 2 RB sets 4% in 2018 and 5% in 2019. 

If you want to look at sets per team for the past two years

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

We need two more high talented "receivers".  So I'm hoping that we get two by pick 75 or a real sleeper in the 4th.  In that respect, I completely agree with what @Chloe6124 was saying.  No more 5th and 6th rounders to sit on the bench for a year or two hoping they develop.

You're likely going to be disappointed. I really doubt Ballard views WR that needy, or other position groups not in need, that they take two WRs in the first 3 picks. Anything could happen, but I know where my money is. And over 25 years, WR AV (approx value) after the 1st round, is similar rounds 2 through 5. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There was some talk during his college career that Claypool should convert to TE. He's only 12lbs shy of Ebron's weight for instance, is lean, and has the frame to carry extra weight. He's bigger than Funchess who played both TE and WR in college. I don't want Claypool to convert, but I just point out that he's basically an X that is a TE-lite when worked out of the slot. Really, any 6-4 WR working out of the slot is more or less a TE-lite so long as they're not a stick.

Hines getting carries doesn't mean his not an APB. Just means the FO things his running is better than other true RBs on the roster. Or perhaps it's as simple is his value on the field is higher (all purpose) than other RBs on the roster (when Mack is out). And APBs do get normal RB carries. They have too, or Ds will sell out every time they step on the field. 

I want an Ebron and a Funchess, not just one.  PC can work into the speed slot role, or the Y to spell TY or cover for him when he's dinged.  The receiver talent is deep so this is the time to maybe over invest in the position.  Although, next year might be a good year too.

Early in his career Hines spelled Mack.  Took his kinds of plays as a breather/injury fill in.  We need another RB to do that, not him.   I'm thinking more of a power back. Dillon?

Hines can be strictly APB(mainly catches the ball near the LOS or hand off on jet sweeps) and punt returner.  Hines doesn't have to get the ball when he's on the field.  I don't think Sproles took many handoffs in Philly, yet was effective at what he did.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I want an Ebron and a Funchess, not just one.  PC can work into the speed slot role, or the Y to spell TY or cover for him when he's dinged.  The receiver talent is deep so this is the time to maybe over invest in the position.  Although, next year might be a good year too.

Next year looks to be good at WR. Regardless, I'll bet you whatever you want only one WR is taken in rounds before round 4. You're overlooking a lot of potential already on the roster (with experience in the system), and assuming WRs taken in the 2nd and 3rd are automatic first year contributors. That's not reality.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Early in his career Hines spelled Mack.  Took his kinds of plays as a breather/injury fill in.  We need another RB to do that, not him.   I'm thinking more of a power back. Dillon?

Hines can be strictly APB(mainly catches the ball near the LOS or hand off on jet sweeps) and punt returner.  Hines doesn't have to get the ball when he's on the field.  I don't think Sproles took many handoffs in Philly, yet was effective at what he did.

A true APB is not effective if he never gets typical running snaps. All purpose means "all" purpose. Not just gadget. I agree I don't want him getting a bunch of 1&10 carries between the OTs, but he has to get some to keep Ds honest. 

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wish people would stop the dumb argument of no QBs under contract in 2021, so they have to draft one.  There will be QBs available to sign, all 3 on the Colts roster as a matter of fact and the Colts will get a chance to sign them before any other team.  So to draft a QB if he is not at the top of the board would go against everything CB said in his press conference and that would, in fact, be drafting the wrong QB.

No QB under contract for 2021 and more specifically and importantly no long-term QB on the roster is less than ideal. This is not an argument to pick a QB just to pick a QB. This is an argument to go get the QB you like if there is such a player in the draft. The reality is we probably will never know if there was such a player unless well we pick one of them. This should not stop us from from worrying about the (lack of) long term QB option on this team and pointing out that precarious position we would be in.

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

No QB under contract for 2021 and more specifically and importantly no long-term QB on the roster is less than ideal. This is not an argument to pick a QB just to pick a QB. This is an argument to go get the QB you like if there is such a player in the draft. The reality is we probably will never know if there was such a player unless well we pick one of them. This should not stop us from from worrying about the (lack of) long term QB option on this team and pointing out that precarious position we would be in.

The Colts QB situation is the least of my worries 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Colts QB situation is the least of my worries 

I'm not flipping out either.  There is no need to get caught up in 2021 right now.  We are trying to win it this year.  For all we know Rivers might work out just fine and he will resign.  Kelly is a RFA so he could easily be brought back and for all we know might be the answer.  No one knows what next year will bring.  For all we know the Raiders might draft a QB this year and Carr is available next year.  QB movement is inevitable.  I'm sure if there is a QB that Ballard feels worth going after this year he will.  But right now it's the least of my worries. We are set for this year and maybe even next.  

On 4/18/2020 at 1:39 PM, stitches said:

I'd like to hear your opinion on Michael Pittman Jr and Van Jefferson.

I like Pittman. They don't run any pro routes in that offense, but he looks like he has the feet and balance to be a successful route runner. He has excellent body control and spatial awareness. Not a burner but not slow at all. Great size, obviously. I assume because of his family he understands pro concepts. Not quick, but decent feet. He won't be a separation guy but with his size and hand strength maybe it's not necessary. 

He's a good prospect. More than just a big body, but has to do more than out jump defenders in the NFL. 

Your thoughts?

I'll get to Van Jefferson. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I like Pittman. They don't run any pro routes in that offense, but he looks like he has the feet and balance to be a successful route runner. He has excellent body control and spatial awareness. Not a burner but not slow at all. Great size, obviously. I assume because of his family he understands pro concepts. Not quick, but decent feet. He won't be a separation guy but with his size and hand strength maybe it's not necessary. 

He's a good prospect. More than just a big body, but has to do more than out jump defenders in the NFL. 

Your thoughts?

I'll get to Van Jefferson. 

I was watching highlights of him last night. I was surprised at the amount of just short dump offs he got. Reminded me a little of Michael Thomas. A lot of shorter dumpoffs but also has the ability to go deep. Rivers would Love a guy like him. Several plays the QB just threw it up for him and he went up and got it. Also a great kid.

46 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

The Colts have put together a pretty good team. It'd be pretty interesting and hilarious if Irsay's dream to win 3 Super Bowls in a row came true but using three different QBs each on a one-year contract. :headspin:

I have to say I hope Rivers can get that super with the colts. I hope we get a entire season in. I don’t want to feel  like a great season or SB run is cheapend by a short season. Even if that means we are playing football into March I hope we get a full season.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why?

As I understand it, team's were fighting for extra roster spots both on full and game day rosters, and their biggest reason was OL. Guessing they added the OL caveat in their to keep folks honest?

Here's a few cuts 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106247/article/nfl-players-approve-cba-impact-on-league-in-2020-and-beyond

Teams are also getting bigger. The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/03/15/nfl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/

Roster sizes increased

The new deal expands the size of NFL rosters from 53 players to 55, while allowing two additional players to be active on game days.

It also calls for larger practice squads and better compensation for practice-squad players. Under this deal, practice squads could soon increase to as many as 14 players per team, each making $10,500 per week — an increase of $2,500.

Archived