Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Press Conference - April 17

aReggie7

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He mentioned wanting more picks.  If we pass on a WR at 34 and trades down this isn’t going to be pretty. At some point he has to start taking this position serious.

Dropping back from 34 doesn't mean he isn't taking the WR position seriously.

Let's wait to see what happens before judging. Even then, it's fruitless.

45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He mentioned wanting more picks.  If we pass on a WR at 34 and trades down this isn’t going to be pretty. At some point he has to start taking this position serious.

Stay close to your phone.   I’m sure Chris Ballard will call you during the draft to ask if you think he’s serious enough. 

Goodness gracious. 

Interpretation:  Trade back very likely at 34 and or 44.  Hooker not a lock as a core player and could be available.  You don't need talks to pick up the 5th yr option.  WR not necessarily the 1st pick.  Low probability of a QB being drafted.  Not thrilled with the QB class past the obvious top guys.  I still think they like Kelly a lot. 

54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We don't have to take a WR at 34 to "take the position serious". They may be only intent at taking one WR, for instance an X (like Pittman or Claypool) which one could very well be available at 44, or somewhere in between 34 and 44. So moving back a little from 34 doesn't mean we're not taking WR seriously. Also, every draft is fluid. I'm sure they have multiple scenarios/strategies laid out depending on who falls, who calls (for trades), etc.. I'm sure even trading up for certain folks that might fall are also on the board as options. 

Purely on WR, we're not near as bad as people make things out to be. Doubt Ballard is pressing the panic button on the Z/Slot group (TY/PC/DF/AD) at all. All depends on what he truly thinks about TY, and I'd bet good money they're in no way given up, or even close to giving up on Campbell. He may be content with 1, 2, and 4/5 spots (TY, PC, and ZP), and only looking to score a 3.

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

Chris Ballard is having a press conference with the local media today. It started at 2pm.

Here is some of what he has said so far.

oh man.  If he doesn’t pick a qb at all.  I know The optimist in me is going to start thinking the plan is for AL to return in 2021 and I will be so disappointed if he doesn’t, rational or not.  

He's been on record saying he plans to address the Offensive line pretty much for sure.  That and WR I think will be the main two areas we address.  With all the talent that is available in this draft at the WR position I'm sure he will make a move or two.  It may not be in Rd 2 though.  I noticed on that draft visit spreadsheet we had visits with a number of pass rushers.  Looked like more than we did with the wideouts quite frankly.  Hoping we pick up a TE in the draft, or maybe make a trade for OJ Howard.  Makes sense why he wants extra picks.  Gives him leverage to make moves or initiate trade. 

My gut is telling me if he wants more picks then he's really not too attached to any one of the current spots that we have.  Which also makes me feel like we may not go QB in this draft.  If he had his mind on QB I feel like he would have at least said "We see a guy or two that we really like".  He usually says stuff like that, but so far I haven't heard him say that at any point..

Still want a qb. And in the second or third round.

I know there are Tom Brady's out there; but the truth is you pick a fourth round, fifth, sixth round qb and you GET a fourth, fifth, sixth round qb.

Still think he has plans,

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

My gut is telling me if he wants more picks then he's really not too attached to any one of the current spots that we have.  Which also makes me feel like we may not go QB in this draft.  If he had his mind on QB I feel like he would have at least said "We see a guy or two that we really like".  He usually says stuff like that, but so far I haven't heard him say that at any point..

So far, the only comment he's made regarding drafting a QB is that 'you can't force it'.

That's still dependent on who he likes and where they are.

It's all about 'value'. He may over spend a bit if the right guy is available, but it's still about the value.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am tired of fifth round developmental WR. Can we please get one that can at least contribute right away.

He said they haven’t made a decision yet on Hookers fifth year option. That says a lot they are not sold on him and are looking to upgrade.

Ya know TY was a 3rd, right?

35 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

oh man.  If he doesn’t pick a qb at all.  I know The optimist in me is going to start thinking the plan is for AL to return in 2021 and I will be so disappointed if he doesn’t, rational or not.  

I'm going to tell you right now to stop chasing that dragon, lol.  Only leads to heartache

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So far, the only comment he's made regarding drafting a QB is that 'you can't force it'.

It's all about 'value'. He may over spend a bit if the right guy is available, but it's still about the value.

People assume when he says that he doesn’t like anyone or wouldn’t trade up. That is not what he is saying at all. He just means they have to love the guy and it has to be the right fit. We really don’t know what he really thinks of these QB.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm just saying usually when I listen to him he sort of tips his hand just a tad bit if there's somebody there he really likes.  He'll usually say it with some excitement in his voice.  He's been somewhat the opposite so far.  It's making me think he's not totally head over hills with a particularly QB.  I could be wrong.  I think if there's someone there who could be the franchise you have to be pretty in love with them to a certain level.  That's why he says "You can't force it".  I just get this feeling he doesn't see anyone there with those early picks that he's certain about.  Somebody that's potentially better than Brissett or Kelly.  Plus I don't think it's out of question that Rivers may play one more year.

If we don’t take a QB it has the possibility of setting us so far behind. What if rivers is terrible. What if he decides it is time to retire. We have no QB for 2021. Jacoby is not going to resign if rivers is bad. We need a qb ready to step in if this doesn’t work out. I would hate to have to start a rookie with this team being in it’s prime. Having rivers is the  perfect time to get that QB ready so we have no set backs.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we don’t take a QB it has the possibility of setting us so far behind. What if rivers is terrible. What if he decides it is time to retire. We have no QB for 2021. Jacoby is not going to resign if rivers is bad. We need a qb ready to step in if this doesn’t work out. I would hate to have to start a rookie with this team being in it’s prime. Having rivers isn’t perfect time to get that QB ready so we have no set backs.

Taking a QB you don't believe in will set you back further...

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am tired of fifth round developmental WR. Can we please get one that can at least contribute right away.

He said they haven’t made a decision yet on Hookers fifth year option. That says a lot they are not sold on him and are looking to upgrade.

For someone with 13,000+ posts, I would have thought you would have been better at this football message board thingy.  

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we don’t take a QB it has the possibility of setting us so far behind. What if rivers is terrible. What if he decides it is time to retire. We have no QB for 2021. Jacoby is not going to resign if rivers is bad. We need a qb ready to step in if this doesn’t work out. I would hate to have to start a rookie with this team being in it’s prime. Having rivers is the  perfect time to get that QB ready so we have no set backs.

More complete bovine excrement.

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This Thread

train discover GIF

My step-dad would be very disappointed in whoever was running this train. He was a conductor of a train for CSX and made 100,000 a year. He would be like that dude needs to be fired :funny:. Then again whoever was running this train is probably deceased after that blunder.

Archived