Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Real Reason That Peyton Is Gone

Deano1818

After watching Sportcenter tonight, I saw Polian being interviewed... I thought..... Thanks!

Bill Polians EGO is the biggest culprit

I realize he made some decent choices early on..... But the last few years....he was running on

Fumes so to speak.....

Hiring his son to continue the dynasty says it all to me

I am also frustrated because with some better choices and even a little more work with FA s

We wouldnt have even been in a situation to fail so bad last year.

I cant help but remember how well the Patriots did when Brady went down.....

Polian failed miserably in fielding a team around Peyton

We should have had 3-4 SB rings....... What a squandered opportunity

Ok....l feel better its off my chest

Im happy for Peyton

I love my Colts, but will have a second favorite team to root for next year

With success comes stagnation in many cases.

You see it in many businesses who are successful for decades, then rest on their success somewhat.

Adding a 1st rd DE when you have two pro bowl DEs, a 1st rd RB when you have bigger needs, etc have had a profound effect on our current position.

I think we could have used our picks more wisely the last few years. especially our 1st rd picks.

Add to that injuries, losing good players because of our success, no QB back-up plan, and other questionable decisions by the front office.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - gossip
Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - gossip

I'm not a big fan of seeing Irsay's daughters in the mix however. I don't know them personally but one of my buddies girlfriends has met them in a family type atmosphere before and wasn't fond of one of them at all! Words that were used to describe her can't be said on this forum haha.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - replying to deleted post
Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - replying to deleted post

I'm not a big fan of seeing Irsay's daughters in the mix however. I don't know them personally but one of my buddies girlfriends has met them in a family type atmosphere before and wasn't fond of one of them at all! Words that were used to describe her can't be said on this forum haha.

Is it an "Itch?"

how come when i said this but not in those words i get my ear bit off for it lol. i have said for weeks that polian is the reason the team was not built to win but built only on manning. and it came back an bit the colts in the behind. but i do gotta say irsays daughter is hot lol.

how come when i said this but not in those words i get my ear bit off for it lol. i have said for weeks that polian is the reason the team was not built to win but built only on manning. and it came back an bit the colts in the behind. but i do gotta say irsays daughter is hot lol.

Your mistake was to link anything bad to Manning. Because you know that is not allowed.

With success comes stagnation in many cases.

You see it in many businesses who are successful for decades, then rest on their success somewhat.

Adding a 1st rd DE when you have two pro bowl DEs, a 1st rd RB when you have bigger needs, etc have had a profound effect on our current position.

I think we could have used our picks more wisely the last few years. especially our 1st rd picks.

Add to that injuries, losing good players because of our success, no QB back-up plan, and other questionable decisions by the front office.

You are right

Peyton carried the team a mile above the talent we had the last five years.....

No OL

No DT

Tiny, often (constant) defensive players

I hate it that the Colts always built for a great offense and expected that great offense to carry the mediocre defense. People wonder why Peyton has been such a great regular season qb but only an average playoff qb. Well, it was not his fault. When you get to the playoffs, just having a great offense will not see you through. It is a whole other level. You need a great defense, too. I agree the Colts should have had 3 or 4 rings in the Manning era. They would have if the defense had been better.

I hate it that the Colts always built for a great offense and expected that great offense to carry the mediocre defense. People wonder why Peyton has been such a great regular season qb but only an average playoff qb. Well, it was not his fault. When you get to the playoffs, just having a great offense will not see you through. It is a whole other level. You need a great defense, too. I agree the Colts should have had 3 or 4 rings in the Manning era. They would have if the defense had been better.

Tru dat

After watching Sportcenter tonight, I saw Polian being interviewed... I thought..... Thanks!

I realize he made some decent choices early on..... But the last few years....he was running on

Fumes so to speak.....

I am also frustrated because with some better choices and even a little more work with FA s

Im happy for Peyton

The last few years Peyton realy covered up so many mistakes by POLIAN bad contracts never fixed Oline and hireing TIMEOUT CALDWELL realy hurt PEYTON. I hope peyton does well but not against us GO COLTS

Yes i was a surprised but time will tell i think IRSAY might be challenging them to see what there made of

Irsay left the team in the hands of someone with a proven track record, who unfortunately regressed. I don't blame Irsay at all and feel he's done as good as he can. Polian is to blame.

was she being all high and mighty or what was her demeanor? it's too bad she's like that because people in the organization will pick up on that in a hurry such as people like Grigson and such.

was she being all high and mighty or what was her demeanor? it's too bad she's like that because people in the organization will pick up on that in a hurry such as people like Grigson and such.

Something like that, spoiled obviously.

Fumes so to speak.....

Im happy for Peyton

he talent was there the fault of not winning is much more on them the mag't weather we want to admit it or not our "stars" in many games just didn't show up in those games and that includes Peyton.

The last few years Peyton realy covered up so many mistakes by POLIAN bad contracts never fixed Oline and hireing TIMEOUT CALDWELL realy hurt PEYTON. I hope peyton does well but not against us GO COLTS

I always got the impression Caldwell was more of a move to keep Manning comfortable. PM was always adamant about maintaining stability around him, and with Dungy's departure, Caldwell was less of a change than bringing in ANYONE else.

As for Polian, I agree things were disintegrating towards the end, but his biggest challenge was how to field a competitive team with increasingly large chunks of the cap going to one player. As we all argued that PM was better than Brady, and deserved recognition as the GOAT, I bet Polian was cringing, knowing every new contract for PM would take the team that much farther from balance.

For whatever its worth, I sincerely hope we encounter the same problems under Grigson with Luck. It'll mean this new team, and our new "franchise" finds its own greatness.

I would shocked if they even make it to a SB...his best chance was with SF.

SF would pretty much guarantee him one...

On the topic of the thread I think we can all agree the Polians did more harm than good. Sure they have a list of achievements but well... look at us now

Fumes so to speak.....

Im happy for Peyton

6 years from now folks on this board will be saying what a wonderful thing it was for Bill P to not keep a "experienced" backup QB.

Because had he would not have Andrew Luck.......

Dang. Where are the Polian apologists now? I've wanted him gone for years now but most people refused to see it because we were the regular season wonders in the win column. When Peyton went down it just proved most of what I thought about Polian being extremely over-rated and too stubborn to budge on flawed philosophies.

One sacrifice to having a great offense is a not so good defense which is what the colts did and what the patriots are now... earlier they weren't because they didn't know what they have in Brady and their vets were still under contract but when Brady showed how good he is he demanded money and weapons so they gave it to him... look at the pats defense now.... even with all their first round draft picks and vets on defense they still were horrible last year... some of this was polians fault but this is how the NFL is get used to it.

Denver seems to have the ingredients of a SB team

Very good Defense

Very good running attack

A super bowl QB

The play action pass would actually work there

If Peyton is healthy, they have an excellent chance to go to the SB

This year!

6 years from now folks on this board will be saying what a wonderful thing it was for Bill P to not keep a "experienced" backup QB.

Because had he would not have Andrew Luck.......

Maybe.....

I am excited by having an excellent era starting again

I just hope that it isnt wasted

Dang. Where are the Polian apologists now? I've wanted him gone for years now but most people refused to see it because we were the regular season wonders in the win column. When Peyton went down it just proved most of what I thought about Polian being extremely over-rated and too stubborn to budge on flawed philosophies.

I am not an apologist. I don't feel there was any excuse for the way Polian treated some players, fans, the media, etc...

But I think it is a gross oversimplification to suggest the team's problems were because of Polian's flawed philosophies or stubborn-ness. That totally ignores the nature of the league cap or the costs of keeping Manning (and Freeney, Bracket, Mathis, Sanders, Clark, etc...) as long as they did. The reality of the NFL is that, as players establish a name for themselves, fans get more attached, but their costs skyrocket too. Unfortunately, this all often happens around the same time skills start to diminish, so GMs are stuck either releasing a beloved player or paying too much for them.

Whether you want to believe it or not, Polian was more masterful at negotiating the cap than just about any GM in the league, possibly all-time, and we were fortunate for the consistancy and quality of play we witnessed over the last decade+. Bash the backup QB situation all you want, but the reality is that Manning kept the team from being able to afford better than we had... and I'm not bashing Manning by saying that... I wouldn't want it any other way, and I hope Luck puts us in EXACTLY the same predicament in 5-7 years.

The cap and the league are designed such that success in the NFL eventually leads to bigger and bigger holes (salaries go up, draft position is later, players are more covetted in free agency, assistant coaches get lured away to better jobs with other teams, etc.). I agree we should have won more SBs, but the unrelenting success the Colts had in the past decade was unprecedented for a reason.

I think its kind of funny that people on this forum want to bash Polian for "holding on too long", and in the same breath, beat up on Irsay and Grigson for cleaning house. Both are remarkable in their own way.

I looked at the stats of the 4th quarter of Peyton's last game as a Colt and other than Manning's name the play drives are dominated by names like Blair White, Jacob Tamme, Dominic Rhodes ...

I think it is pretty clear here that Manning was carrying this Colts team the last 3-4 seasons.

Exactly. They will not make it to a super bowl. Especially next year because their schedule is brutal. Wish him the best but I don't see him winning anymore rings but who knows what they do in the draft and FA.

Denver seems to have the ingredients of a SB team

Very good Defense

Very good running attack

A super bowl QB

The play action pass would actually work there

If Peyton is healthy, they have an excellent chance to go to the SB

This year!

Have u seen thier schedule, will struggle to make playoffs this year.

I looked at the stats of the 4th quarter of Peyton's last game as a Colt and other than Manning's name the play drives are dominated by names like Blair White, Jacob Tamme, Dominic Rhodes ...

I think it is pretty clear here that Manning was carrying this Colts team the last 3-4 seasons.

That is what great players do. They make others around them better. I see the same things in Luck and hope that transpires on the NFL level.

Jim Irsay. Period.

"The Tuesday before my press conference I didn't know I wasn't going to be a Colt yet".

Peyton Manning at the Broncos presser.

Could you play a game this Sunday" - Media question

"yes I could play a game this Sunday. I wouldn't be as good as I want to be, but Yes I could play." - Peyton

Peyton should have been able to retire a Colt. No one but Irsay is to blame for this.

Jim Irsay. Period.

"The Tuesday before my press conference I didn't know I wasn't going to be a Colt yet".

Peyton Manning at the Broncos presser.

Could you play a game this Sunday" - Media question

"yes I could play a game this Sunday. I wouldn't be as good as I want to be, but Yes I could play." - Peyton

Peyton should have been able to retire a Colt. No one but Irsay is to blame for this.

Keeping Peyton would have not only been stoooopid..it would have killed this franchise.