Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts moving on from Brissett per Chris Simms

CR91

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s hard for me to believe much that is reported on the Colts front office decisions without direct quotes and multiple sources, with as tight lipped as they often are... However, anyone that watched this team play the last 8-9 games, knows this is true. If you aren’t “scared as hell” to roll with Brissett without any attempt to address the QB room this offseason, you weren’t paying attention last season. Even in the wins early, he was a very basic game manager.  

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I can't imagine they keep him if they are moving on.       

I can't either, some people can think he is a bad QB all they want but no way he plays 2nd fiddle to anyone playing in a Colts uniform now. He had the keys turned over to him and if he gets pulled after 1 season I can't see him being happy. It would cause team friction if we kept him.

Please!  Everybody and their momma saw that coming after what we witnessed for that stretch of games. I totally believe they have deep reservations.  I mean who wouldn't after we literally sat there and watched an entire football game of Reich calling run play after run play after run play against the Texans.  The guy totally did not trust his QB to pass the football against a bad secondary at that. 

I can't remember the last football game I watched where an experienced QB lost the trust of the coach so bad to where they literally refused to throw the ball for damn near the entire contest. I lost all faith that I had in the guy after that game.  And we all know the other issues.  I don't doubt at all they are moving on. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Please!  Everybody and their momma saw that coming after what we witnessed for that stretch of games. I totally believe they have deep reservations.  I mean who wouldn't after we literally sat there and watched an entire football game of Reich calling run play after run play after run play against the Texans.  The guy totally did not trust his QB to pass the football.  I can't remember the last football game I watched where an experienced QB lost the trust of the coach so bad to where they literally refused to throw the ball for damn near the entire contest.  And we all know the other issues.  I don't doubt at all they are moving on. 

I will say one thing about that game, had TY Hilton been 100% we probably win. He looked 50-60% at best so that did hamper the play calling.

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I read this and thought we were releasing him. Dang! Love Brissett but he won't get us to where we want to to be!

If they sign a veteran, they will release him. 
And anyone who thinks he can be traded is delusional. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't either, some people can think he is a bad QB all they want but no way he plays 2nd fiddle to anyone playing in a Colts uniform now. He had the keys turned over to him and if he gets pulled after 1 season I can't see him being happy. It would cause team friction if we kept him.

Maybe package him to the chargers to get to 6

They paid him a decent amount of money and anytime in the NFL when a GM is asked about the QB position and he can not say for certain who the starter will be then you know somebody is getting some walking papers real soon.  Ballard and company don't speak with literally any certainty about the guy and that's for certain. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 44th may do it with what I said. I do agree, they would want more than just the 13th and JB. We need to keep that 34th IMO.

That should be enough, but is he better then say Bridgewater. 

Just now, krunk said:

They paid him a decent amount of money and anytime in the NFL when a GM is asked about the QB position and he can not say for certain who the starter will be then you know somebody is getting some walking papers real soon.  Ballard and company don't speak with literally any certainty about the guy and that's for certain. 

It’s like their afraid to hurt JB’s feelings. He’s been coddled far to long. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You mean our 13th and JB for their 6th? I would do that.

Of course you would.   Any Colts fan would.   

But the Chargers would never do that deal.   Not a chance.   Jacoby Brissett moves you 7 spots to six?   That’s laughable.   Sorry, but not happening.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But the Chargers would never do that deal.   Not a chance.   Jacoby Brissett moves you 7 spots to six?   That’s laughable.   Sorry, but not happening.  

I know it wouldn't but I threw in the 44th pick as well. See above.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I would probably try to trade pick 34 and Brissett to either the Packers, 49ers, or Chiefs to jump into the end of the 1st round again. That would also give us a 5th year-option on that player.

6 minutes ago, Superfly said:

They are almost virtually identical QBs.

6 minutes ago, Superfly said:

They are almost virtually identical QBs.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both are game manager's IMO. Not much difference. Teddy may be a tad better but JB has never had a severe injury like Teddy has had either.

Well it would actually save them money if the chargers view them the same.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well it would actually save them money if the chargers view them the same.

If the plan is to “tank for Trevor” they’d be solid additions. 

To build a non existent fanbase, both would have an adverse effect. 

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, I would probably try to trade pick 34 and Brissett to either the Packers, 49ers, or Chiefs to jump into the end of the 1st round again. That would also give us a 5th year-option on that player.

That is a pretty good idea as those teams may think about doing that because JB would be a solid backup for any of those teams.

22 minutes ago, Superfly said:

It’s like their afraid to hurt JB’s feelings. He’s been coddled far to long. 

Coddled?    The guy who was traded for the first week of the 2017 regular season and thrown to the wolves to start all season behind a bad team and a coaching staff halfway out the door?

Coddled?

The guy who became the starter in late August of ‘19 when Luck retired and played even when he was hurt.  That guy?   Coddled?

You might consider looking up the word.   You either don’t know the meaning,  or you don’t follow Colts football very closely.

Jacoby Brissett may not be very good, but he’s never been coddled by the Colts.  

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I can.  JB is not a *, he's actually in the catbird seat, thanks to Andrew retiring, the job just fell in his lap.  I think he knows he doesn't yet have the skills to be a NFL starting QB, he has the physical skills, but he is so afraid to make a mistake he becomes a game manager instead of QB.   He is however a great backup QB who knows the system and is a great presence in the locker room.  

I think JB wants to remain with the Colts, I think the FO wants to keep him.

I think he agrees to  a pay cut remains as the backup QB to Rivers and we focus our draft picks on the defense, and WR in FA signings.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Coddled?    The guy who was traded for the first week of the 2017 regular season and thrown to the wolves to start all season behind a bad team and a coaching staff halfway out the door?

Coddled?

The guy who became the starter in late August of ‘19 when Luck retired and played even when he was hurt.  That guy?   Coddled?

You might consider looking up the word.   You either don’t know the meaning,  or you don’t follow Colts football very closely.

Jacoby Brissett may not be very good, but he’s never been coddled by the Colts.  

I disagree and Superman said the same thing awhile back. So, I’m not the only one who thinks he is. Good day! 

1 minute ago, Superfly said:

I disagree and Superman said the same thing awhile back. So, I’m not the only one who thinks he is. Good day! 

If Superman said it, he’s wrong.   And I think he’s the best and smartest poster here.

Since the day he was acquired, Ballard has talked about JB’s work ethic, his leadership.   How much he’s admired by teammates.    Ballard says JB has “elite” leadership skills.

That doesn’t happen if a player has been coddled.   I’ll let @Superman  defend himself.   But I’d bet Ballard would laugh out loud at the very idea of JB being coddled. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If Superman said it, he’s wrong.   And I think he’s the best and smartest poster here.

Since the day he was acquired, Ballard has talked about JB’s work ethic, his leadership.   How much he’s admired by teammates.    Ballard says JB has “elite” leadership skills.

That doesn’t happen if a player has been coddled.   I’ll let @Superman  defend himself.   But I’d bet Ballard would laugh out loud at the very idea of JB being coddled. 

What makes JB this “great leader?” Enlighten me, great one! 

Jacoby had a square shot at being the starter... and it didn't work.... and it won't work. On a good day he's an average NFL QB.

IMO.... the best thing we could do is release Brissett, Hoyer and Kelly.... yes, the whole lot of them.... sign Rivers, draft Gordon and find a serviceable and cheap journeyman as the 3rd stringer.

This leaves no ambiguity as to who is starting.... and that it is for 1 season as Gordon studies and learns from Rivers and Reich.

3 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Jacoby had a square shot at being the starter... and it didn't work.... and it won't work. On a good day he's an average NFL QB.

IMO.... the best thing we could do is release Brissett, Hoyer and Kelly.... yes, the whole lot of them.... sign Rivers, draft Gordon and find a serviceable and cheap journeyman as the 3rd stringer.

This leaves no ambiguity as to who is starting.... and that it is for 1 season as Gordon studies and learns from Rivers and Reich.

I'm just not sold on signing a stop gap QB. I'd rather trade up and get Herbert.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

This is the same franchise that agreed to pay all that money to a retired Andrew Luck sitting on his couch at home. What they would pay Brissett to be a backup pales in comparison.  

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just not sold on signing a stop gap QB. I'd rather trade up and get Herbert.

I can understand the sentiment even though I don't agree with it..... but here's the problem.

What if we simply can't make a deal happen for Hebert, Love or Tua? We can't just snap our fingers and make a trade into the Top 10.

And if we can't.... we better have someone on board such as Rivers who won't take a boatload of time picking up Reich's system. At least then we have a chance, no?

7 minutes ago, Superfly said:

What makes JB this “great leader?” Enlighten me, great one! 

I don’t have to enlighten you.   I don’t have to spend a minute with you.

Chris Ballard has always spoken glowingly about Brissett’s leadership skills.   The word “elite” is Ballard’s word not mine.  And he’s used it repeatedly.   If you’re not aware of that it shows how little you pay attention to this team.   

You can hate Brissett or you can like him.  I don’t care.   But coddled is a ridiculous word to use with Brissett.  I don’t know where that word would have come from? 

Archived