Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts moving on from Brissett per Chris Simms

CR91

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simms is saying this so if it does happen, then he can crow about it.

Like someone else said, I'll believe it when "Chris" Ballard says it.

Way too soon to know what's going to happen...the media guys have weeks a stories to come up with before they can report on anything that actually happens.

So, there's the regular season, post season, Speculation Season, combine, more Speculation Season, free agency period, draft, training camp, then it all starts over again.

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

As far as folks that don't want to believe in what Sims has to say, that's fine. I'll just say it's more about what the FO is not saying. They had time to evaluate all the film from last year, and they didn't come out and say "Brissett is our guy". That should be pretty telling. At most, he's a plan D or E. And on Sims, while he can "hot take" a lot, he's got a decent track record.

I don't see him wanting to play second fiddle either. I could see him being OK with backing up a vet like Carr or Rivers, but wouldn't be happy. I definitely don't see him wanting to stay on with a drafted rook, nor do I think the Colts would keep him if they drafted. I don't see anyone wanting to take on the contract either. It's simply poor value. High price, low talent, low duration. A team like LAC does have plenty of cap space, so who knows. We don't have cap issues either, so a simple "cut" would not hurt and allow JB to test the market.

I don't think he is ready to accept that he is not starter material, and no way he accepts a pay cut. I could see a situation where he accepts a back up role if a vet comes in, but by no means is he ready to give up thinking he'll be a starter some where some day.

I think coddled is not the best word to use, but I agree. They pretty much did everything possible to ease him in and mask his weaknesses (even to the detriment of other positions/players), while at the same time not being critical of his deficiencies and over-praising him at times. They were overprotective, but not indulgent (which is the definition of coddle). When a team has to rely on the "well he's a great leader" narrative, there just might be a problem lol. 

I don’t think anyone doesn’t want to believe what Simms is saying they are simply taking it with a grain of salt.  Just about everyone who said something about Simms also said they hope he’s right.  

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think anyone doesn’t want to believe what Simms is saying they are simply taking it with a grain of salt.  Just about everyone who said something about Simms also said they hope he’s right.  

Oh there are definitely a few that don't want to believe Simms lol.. Minority for sure, but a few. 

Nobody knows for sure, but from what has been said and done, and as much what hasn't been said, is all I need to place my bet.

Watch what they do, not what they say.

We were a 7-9 team, with lots of cap space and no Andrew Luck. As we get closer to the start of the year we will be seeing and hearing more of hot takes like this. We might be interested in all sorts of QBs, but a lot of dominoes could fall before we get our shot. 

47 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Simms is saying this so if it does happen, then he can crow about it.

Like someone else said, I'll believe it when "Chris" Ballard says it.

Way too soon to know what's going to happen...the media guys have weeks a stories to come up with before they can report on anything that actually happens.

So, there's the regular season, post season, Speculation Season, combine, more Speculation Season, free agency period, draft, training camp, then it all starts over again.

I don't think he needs to crow about it. It's more likely than not, and that should be obvious at this point. The only difference is that the media and casual fans are finally starting to pick up on it.

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Isn't it the case though.... that by not retrieving the bonus money paid to Luck, we retain his rights should he change his mind?

I doubt that all that $$$ was simply some sort of "gold watch" retirement gift from Irsay. 

If I'm not mistaken.... he can't take a snap in the NFL again unless its in a Colts uniform, or a team we trade his rights to. (my preference, by the way)

I have heard that speculation as well...though I don’t know for sure. Would make sense...but that’s an awfully big deposit that you likely aren’t getting back.

What else could the Maniac say? Brissett is on the team and the next QB is not. Just being a teammate. He is not going to throw Jacoby under the bus but I am sure Darius will be happy if we get a better QB that can keep the defense off the field for long stretches 

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn’t make more of this than it is. It’s a big number this year, sure. But even with it we’re in better than great shape financially so it’s not really that big of a deal. It’s going to be a bigger deal to potential trade partners than it will be to us. They will have to be the ones who may potentially have to give him another deal that includes even more money, and they may have a real limited look at what he has to offer before they pull that trigger. I think realistically the only team who may be confident enough to give us any kind of fair deal would likely be the Patriots. And I don’t think they’re gonna be breaking our door down to do that. 

The 15 mil would be their cap hit. We're still in the books for the dead money which I think is 6 mil

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Less than little.

Means nothing about what Ballard will end up doing, but it does mean something when you think about the locker room aspects. Lends more credence to the line of thought that they would not keep him on if they draft or sign someone else (to avoid locker room issues). 

I can't imagine that they'd stand pat when there's a buffet of options at QB right now. 

JB has had 2 years of starts and won 4 games the first time and played so well that Simms description of "scared the hell out of the front office" isn't hyperbole. He's had a pretty good shot to make his case for a guy drafted to be a third stringer in N.E. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jacoby was given a two year contract worth $30 mill total.   And $20 mill Was guaranteed.   So I don’t understand the line about the value of a franchise tag?

That’s simply false.   First $20 mill is not a franchise tag value and second it’s over two years and not one.   This is not a fair evaluation.

He was already under contract for $2M last season...and Ballard had the ability to franchise tag him this offseason...which means Ballard controlled JB’s rights for two seasons anyways.

But rather than have JB play that out...and see where they stood this offseason...Ballard gave him a new 2/$30M deal...which covered those two seasons of control and added $28M to his contract...a sum which happens (not coincidentally imo) to be nearly identical to the projected QB franchise tag for this coming season (that they would have been able to use).

You are correct that he only got $20M gtd at signing...that was likely the trade off for essentially getting money early...but with the chance to earn a

legit extension. Had he not gotten that money...he is likely hitting FA in a couple weeks and looking at low-level offers.

My point is that the franchise tag served as the basis for this deal...but in a much more favorable way to JB.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

He was already under contract for $2M last season...and Ballard had the ability to franchise tag him this offseason...which means Ballard controlled JB’s rights for two seasons anyways.

But rather than have JB play that out...and see where they stood this offseason...Ballard gave him a new 2/$30M deal...which covered those two seasons of control and added $28M to his contract...a sum which happens (not coincidentally imo) to be nearly identical to the projected QB franchise tag for this coming season (that they would have been able to use).

You are correct that he only got $20M gtd at signing...that was likely the trade off for essentially getting money early...but with the chance to earn a

legit extension. Had he not gotten that money...he is likely hitting FA in a couple weeks and looking at low-level offers.

My point is that the franchise tag served as the basis for this deal...but in a much more favorable way to JB.

If, I’d been Ballard, I would’ve taken my chances of JB “balling out” in 2019, rather than do the extension. It wasn’t like JB, was all of sudden going to hold out. 

It is what it is though. 

8 minutes ago, Superfly said:

If, I’d been Ballard, I would’ve taken my chances of JB “balling out” in 2019, rather than do the extension. It wasn’t like JB, was all of sudden going to hold out. 

It is what it is though. 

That was the right thing to do, given that your generational talent at QB retired a few weeks prior to the start of the regular season and the only QB on the roster that knew the offense well enough was JB. Plus, if we give rookie QBs about 2-3 years to prove themselves, giving JB a 2nd year in a row as a starter was not unreasonable at all, IMO. We all want things to happen fast and furious that we lose sight of the fact that building a winning team is still a marathon as opposed to a sprint. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That was the right thing to do, given that your generational talent at QB retired a few weeks prior to the start of the regular season and the only QB on the roster that knew the offense well enough was JB. Plus, if we give rookie QBs about 2-3 years to prove themselves, giving JB a 2nd year in a row as a starter was not unreasonable at all, IMO. We all want things to happen fast and furious that we lose sight of the fact that building a winning team is still a marathon as opposed to a sprint. 

Yeah, I often have to remind myself, that I saw a career backup QB with limitations (Brissett) in 2017 and it took others and the FO to figure it out later. 

Unlike most twitter reports that people post here, Simms actually said "will not start (or moving on)".  At least that's wording that is close to being actual sourced info.

Other stuff is typical media job-justification stuff where they know nothing but try to imply they do.  Like when they say "sources say that Rivers could possibly sign with the Colts".  Tossing out the word "sources" to deflect from the reality they just made it up in their own head during breakfast, and knowing that nobody can find out otherwise because sources are confidential. 

11 hours ago, ScotColt said:

If we are talking about classy, I think if anything it's Luck who lacked class on this occasion. Walking out on your team so close to the start of the season and then getting paid millions for it lol Antonio Brown has entered the chat.

Then we pay Brissett before he even proves himself worthy... personally I thought that was a very rash move. Brissett would've played regardless and we would have dropped him like a sack of potatoes straight after the season he just had. As for Brian Hoyer - I won't even bother with that guy... Like it or not, even with Luck leaving so ruthlessly, the QB situation was handled pretty badly in my opinion. 

I agree totally.  Luck was classless.  Giving Brissett all that money was stupid and Hoyer?  Really?  Yes.  The QB situation after Luck has been handled atrociously.  Not poorly.  But awful.

It would not surprise me if Ballard is letting the media fan the flames that the Colts are moving on from JB and trying to pick a QB high in the 1st.

It could create a run on QBs in the top-10 and allow a blue-chip OT or DT to fall into Ballards' lap at 13, a la Nelson dropping to #6.

I'm sure Ballard will add someone to the QB room, either FA, draft, or both, and JB may be the week 1 starter, but we could see a new starter as soon as week 2.  Either way, JB will most likely remain a Colt this year.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, I would probably try to trade pick 34 and Brissett to either the Packers, 49ers, or Chiefs to jump into the end of the 1st round again. That would also give us a 5th year-option on that player.

Why would any team trade for JB?

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would any team trade for JB?

Contract and money aside, he'd be a good/safe backup for a team like SF who have a solid team, have a set QB, and have SB intentions. SF does not have good back ups.

That said, JB is very unattractive simply because of his contract, which is why I think he'd be cut, and then sign somewhere.

12 hours ago, ScotColt said:

If we are talking about classy, I think if anything it's Luck who lacked class on this occasion. Walking out on your team so close to the start of the season and then getting paid millions for it lol Antonio Brown has entered the chat.

Then we pay Brissett before he even proves himself worthy... personally I thought that was a very rash move. Brissett would've played regardless and we would have dropped him like a sack of potatoes straight after the season he just had. As for Brian Hoyer - I won't even bother with that guy... Like it or not, even with Luck leaving so ruthlessly, the QB situation was handled pretty badly in my opinion. 

As an example, Russell Wilson way out performed his contract but still played for his low salary.
 Brissett was just too good i guess.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Sorry...   I think this is a misevaluation.  The money is spread out over two years, not one.   2/30 is an average of 15 per.  But you’re saying that.   All you focus on is $28 mill is the franchise tag level without noting its over two years, not one.   

Ballard and Irsay’s contract negotiators are very good at their jobs.   So I don’t understand those who complain about what was done instead of what COULD have done.   

Jacobys deal isn’t going to stop us from what we want to do, even if we cut him, or trade him. 

16 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s hard for me to believe much that is reported on the Colts front office decisions without direct quotes and multiple sources, with as tight lipped as they often are... However, anyone that watched this team play the last 8-9 games, knows this is true. If you aren’t “scared as hell” to roll with Brissett without any attempt to address the QB room this offseason, you weren’t paying attention last season. Even in the wins early, he was a very basic game manager.  

Yeah, I have nothing against Brissett personally but I don't think he's the guy who's going to lead us to a super bowl no matter what players we have around him. I just think he is a very good backup at best not a quality starter at all. Yeah, he can win some games for you but over the long haul he is not the guy. I think we need to draft a QB I believe Herbert could very well be the one that Reich and Co can develop into greatness. 

15 hours ago, Superfly said:

I disagree and Superman said the same thing awhile back. So, I’m not the only one who thinks he is. Good day! 

I don't think I ever said JB has been coddled by the team. I said I thought he was shielded from fair criticism and evaluation, specifically by fans and the media, but that hasn't been the case since about halfway through the season.

I also said I thought the staff speaking glowingly about him was somewhat self-serving, not necessarily an indication that JB would be a great QB. And I said I think they go out of their way to avoid being critical of him, for obvious reasons.

If I'm misremembering something, point it out, but I don't remember saying that the Colts staff coddled JB. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think I ever said JB has been coddled by the team. I said I thought he was shielded from fair criticism and evaluation, specifically by fans and the media, but that hasn't been the case since about halfway through the season.

I also said I thought the staff speaking glowingly about him was somewhat self-serving, not necessarily an indication that JB would be a great QB. And I said I think they go out of their way to avoid being critical of him, for obvious reasons.

If I'm misremembering something, point it out, but I don't remember saying that the Colts staff coddled JB. 

From and NFL perspective, what you described, from a lot of peoples vantage point, might be coddling. I agree the term is not the most reflective of the situation, but it's not far off either. By the definition (indulgent and overprotective), it definitely checks one box, maybe not the other in it's truest since, but not far wither. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

From and NFL perspective, what you described, from a lot of peoples vantage point, might be coddling. I agree the term is not the most reflective of the situation, but it's not far off either. By the definition (indulgent and overprotective), it definitely checks one box, maybe not the other in it's truest since, but not far wither. 

I don't think I would choose that word, and I don't think I've used it in reference to the Colts treatment of JB, so it seems like a misrepresentation of my viewpoint. 

I also want to be clear about something. Just because the Colts don't openly criticize JB doesn't mean they aren't well aware of his shortcomings. If you look at the playcalling last year and read between the lines of their public statements since the end of the season, it seems obvious that they know he's not QB1 material.

Just now, Superman said:

I don't think I would choose that word, and I don't think I've used it in reference to the Colts treatment of JB, so it seems like a misrepresentation of my viewpoint. 

I agree. Just saying I can understand why folks might use the word to describe some of your comments even though it is not reflective of your view, or the proper definition. 

16 hours ago, Superfly said:

If they sign a veteran, they will release him. 
And anyone who thinks he can be traded is delusional. 

This, they will look for a vet "Bridge QB" release JB to reclaim some cap space.  Good chance they let go of Hoyer too.

Also 100% right, his contract is too high to be traded.  No one see's him as anything more than maybe a high level backup. 

I will say that if they can't find their vet then JB probably stays for another year.  

Archived