Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts moving on from Brissett per Chris Simms

CR91

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

That was the right thing to do, given that your generational talent at QB retired a few weeks prior to the start of the regular season and the only QB on the roster that knew the offense well enough was JB. Plus, if we give rookie QBs about 2-3 years to prove themselves, giving JB a 2nd year in a row as a starter was not unreasonable at all, IMO. We all want things to happen fast and furious that we lose sight of the fact that building a winning team is still a marathon as opposed to a sprint. 

Again. Luck wasn't a generational/once in a generation talent.  He's in the same generation as several guys as good asnir better than he was.  Mahomes, Watson, Garroppolo, Russ....  And several more to come yet in said generation.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think I ever said JB has been coddled by the team. I said I thought he was shielded from fair criticism and evaluation, specifically by fans and the media, but that hasn't been the case since about halfway through the season.

I also said I thought the staff speaking glowingly about him was somewhat self-serving, not necessarily an indication that JB would be a great QB. And I said I think they go out of their way to avoid being critical of him, for obvious reasons.

If I'm misremembering something, point it out, but I don't remember saying that the Colts staff coddled JB. 

He was winning at the time.  Winning is the best shield from criticism there is.  Losing however is the biggest magnet for criticism there is.  This goes triple for QB's.

The mixed season last season is actually a positive for the front office.  He didn't win enough that the fans would riot to see him traded/released.  But he didn't lose so bad that the fans would riot if they said that their plan was to start him next season and then re-evaluate.  So the front office can do what makes the most sense without having to worry about an upset fan base.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

He was winning at the time.  Winning is the best shield from criticism there is.  Losing however is the biggest magnet for criticism there is.  This goes triple for QB's.

The mixed season last season is actually a positive for the front office.  He didn't win enough that the fans would riot to see him traded/released.  But he didn't lose so bad that the fans would riot if they said that their plan was to start him next season and then re-evaluate.  So the front office can do what makes the most sense without having to worry about an upset fan base.  

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded part, I think fans are mostly done with the JB experience. But I don't think the front office should care, they should do what makes the most sense without regard for the fickle feelings of the fanbase, most of whom probably don't know what they're seeing in the first place.

I definitely disagree with the sentiment that winning should shield a QB from criticism. The QB doesn't win, the team does, and JB wasn't carrying the team on his back. It's obvious that the team falling off in the second half of the season turned a lot of fans against JB, but there were a lot of people cringing at JB's play even when we were 5-2.

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, I would probably try to trade pick 34 and Brissett to either the Packers, 49ers, or Chiefs to jump into the end of the 1st round again. That would also give us a 5th year-option on that player.

No GM in his right mind is going to trade anything for a backup QB who will never be anything more than what he was last season. Ballard may be trying to shop JB, but he will have to be sacrificed to the salary cap gods. His future in football is to be picked up by some team that is desperate for a backup QB, or in the XFL. 

8 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

No GM in his right mind is going to trade anything for a backup QB who will never be anything more than what he was last season. Ballard may be trying to shop JB, but he will have to be sacrificed to the salary cap gods. His future in football is to be picked up by some team that is desperate for a backup QB, or in the XFL. 

yea we shoulda taken that 1st rounder like everyone thought we could get last yr . HAHAHA

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

yea we shoulda taken that 1st rounder like everyone thought we could get last yr . HAHAHA

Only the gullible, believed a Ben Vilon (beat writer for Patriots) article stating the Seahawks wanted Brissett for a 2nd Rd pick. 

It created a lot false hope for some delusional fans here. lol

1 minute ago, Superfly said:

Only the gullible, believed a Ben Vilon (beat writer for Patriots) article stating the Seahawks wanted Brissett for a 2nd Rd pick. 

It created a lot false hope for some delusional fans here. lol

which are numerous  HA

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

What else could the Maniac say? Brissett is on the team and the next QB is not. Just being a teammate. He is not going to throw Jacoby under the bus but I am sure Darius will be happy if we get a better QB that can keep the defense off the field for long stretches 

Yes!  But this is common sense..... And  thats a foreign language around these parts.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

What bugs me about the whole JB thing is whether we were winning Or losing , we were right there on the edge if winning and losing.  Even when leading, we never tried to step on throats and put games away.  Too safe for my taste.

I blame the offensive scheme as much as i do JB.  And how id Vinny getting off the hook?

This TEAM lacked (lacks?) the killer instinct from too to bottom.  I’d like to see more fire from the coaches.  This WILL trickle down to the players.

JB needs to be better if he does stay, but he is in no way as bad as some ate portraying.  With or without taking into account the loss of most of the WRs, focus in run, vanilla offense, injury, etc.

we can do the chicken or the egg theory too.  Was offense vanilla because of JB, or was JB “vanilla” because of offense? (Playcalling, loss of WRs,Ebron,etc)

11 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Simms is saying this so if it does happen, then he can crow about it.

Like someone else said, I'll believe it when "Chris" Ballard says it.

Way too soon to know what's going to happen...the media guys have weeks a stories to come up with before they can report on anything that actually happens.

So, there's the regular season, post season, Speculation Season, combine, more Speculation Season, free agency period, draft, training camp, then it all starts over again.

Thanks, I hate this time of year, overwhelming speculation based on zero actual knowledge.  The team itself doesn't even know what their going to do yet...the arm chair GM'ing is incredible.  

39 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Thanks, I hate this time of year, overwhelming speculation based on zero actual knowledge.  The team itself doesn't even know what their going to do yet...the arm chair GM'ing is incredible.  

I'd bet the team has a very good idea of what they want to do. While I'm sure their big board is rough and still getting polished all the way up till draft day, I'm sure the strategy is pretty well defined. 

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

You really think the colts don't know what their gonna do yet 2 weeks before free agency and 7 weeks before the draft? Eventually news gets out.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

You really think the colts don't know what their gonna do yet 2 weeks before free agency and last then 7 weeks before the draft? Eventually news gets out.

No,  they don't know.    Im sure they have a plan,   doesn't mean they can execute it. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  they don't know.    Im sure they have a plan,   doesn't mean they can execute it. 

Having a plan and not knowing what their gonna do are two completely different things.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

Having a plan and not knowing what their gonna do are two completely different things.

No it isn’t. I have a plan to retire before I’m 65, but I don’t know what might impact that, and I sure as Hell don’t know what’s going to happen when I get there... This team could have plan A-Z, and not know what they are going to do. Ballard is not sitting in his office thinking “this is exactly what we are going to do this offseason, and who we are going to get in FA and the draft.” He’s thinking/planning for the variables that they are going to have to navigate to he aggressive in FA. They can sit and plan on throwing the necessary money at the top FA’s this year, but if they don’t want to be here, guess what? It ain’t gonna happen. So with that, they have a plan and they also don’t know what they are going to do. No one does. 

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No it isn’t. I have a plan to retire before I’m 65, but I don’t know what might impact that, and I sure as Hell don’t know what’s going to happen when I get there... This team could have plan A-Z, and not know what they are going to do. Ballard is not sitting in his office thinking “this is exactly what we are going to do this offseason, and who we are going to get in FA and the draft.” He’s thinking/planning for the variables that they are going to have to navigate to he aggressive in FA. They can sit and plan on throwing the necessary money at the top FA’s this year, but if they don’t want to be here, guess what? It ain’t gonna happen. So with that, they have a plan and they also don’t know what they are going to do. No one does. 

They know what they are going to try to do.  

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But you still have a direction that you wanna go. You're not completely clueless

20 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Again. Luck wasn't a generational/once in a generation talent.  He's in the same generation as several guys as good asnir better than he was.  Mahomes, Watson, Garroppolo, Russ....  And several more to come yet in said generation.

I don't think you understand exactly what Luck had that no others had. Luck was the perfect QB prospect. He was the perfect height and weight for the position, was very quick for the position, tested outstanding, had the mental capacity to run nearly any offense that IMO is still unrivaled. Could make any and every throw, was a leader and a winner. Was humble and checked every single box. It all translated on the field as well. There were zero question marks on his behalf. If you were building a QB it would be Andrew Luck. He was a generational talent, There was no other QB in the past 20 years or anyone in the next 2 classes that where like him. Manning was the next closest QB but Luck was still a better prospect. He didnt fail us, WE failed him with a incompetent GM and HC. Terrible o-line play, lack of a running game and a defense that let the other team march all over them forcing him to be a hero the majority of games. The team let this go on until it was too late where injuries had finally piled on and the game was no longer fun. Luck on a terrible team is still easily a better QB then everyone listed outside of Pat. If Luck would have gone to the Chiefs with Reid and all of those weapons then i have no doubt his numbers would be greater than Mahomes. 

I get it that you are still bitter with him leaving the team, but you are blatantly just being ignorant with that statement including a teams success claiming thats what makes them a better talent. How can you sit there with a straight face and say Garoppolo was a better talent?

We are stuck with jacoby no way we get a Qb without trading up Redskins are taking tua at 2 burrow gone at 1. Chargers getting love and dolphins getting herbert .   Unless we trade up we are not getting any first round talent this year .    But Ballard said chiefs trading up for mahomes was genius so I hope we trade up I don't care about picks ,with a young franchise qb we are contenders .  All we really need is a dt a tight end another wr ,and we are set I think our young defensive ends will be great. we are really set at everything else .  With so much cap space we can buy another tightened and wr. Draft another dt in round 2  and 3.  Give a team the Redskins 2nd and trade next years first and get the goat in Jordan. Love and be superbowl favorites for the next 15 years .

On 3/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t have to enlighten you.   I don’t have to spend a minute with you.

Chris Ballard has always spoken glowingly about Brissett’s leadership skills.   The word “elite” is Ballard’s word not mine.  And he’s used it repeatedly.   If you’re not aware of that it shows how little you pay attention to this team.   

You can hate Brissett or you can like him.  I don’t care.   But coddled is a ridiculous word to use with Brissett.  I don’t know where that word would have come from? 

Chris Ballard is always gonna speak highly of his players . Ballard is a pro that's what they do. Behind the scenes I bet he is trashing jacoby and cant wait to pack his bags . I can see the fakeness when ballard talks about him . He had the same fakeness with chuck pagano said the same stuff he's a leader no one else but chuck.  Then fires him. Ballard can't stand jacoby in private and is itching to say your fired . 

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Chris Ballard is always gonna speak highly of his players . Ballard is a pro that's what they do. Behind the scenes I bet he is trashing jacoby and cant wait to pack his bags . I can see the fakeness when ballard talks about him . He had the same fakeness with chuck pagano said the same stuff he's a leader no one else but chuck.  Then fires him. Ballard can't stand jacoby in private and is itching to say your fired . 

I’m sorry you think that.    Other than maybe the first sentence, I don’t think I agree with a word of it.    

“Fakeness”?    That’s a fan's viewpoint, not a GMs.    You’re projecting. 

21 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Bwahahaha.....Watson?  Garrappolo?  Better than Luck?  Not even close.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sorry you think that.     Don’t agree with a word of it.    

“Fakeness”?    That’s a fan's viewpoint, not a GMs.    You’re projecting. 

Ballard is super competitive he hates losing .he is so fired up now to get this franchise a title .I don't think he believes in jacoby if he did he would've extended him now to save money .

On 3/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, CR91 said:

The 15 mil would be their cap hit. We're still in the books for the dead money which I think is 6 mil

I think our dead money is 7M. Could we not trade him and pick up some of the money so the other team would not absorb the remainder of his salary?

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Watson is overrated the Texans were a playoff every year before he got there .  Still only won one playoff game .

He sure is.  One of the most overrated players in the NFL.  Most TD passes in a season for this guy is 26.  And that's with the best receiver in the game on his team.  

And someone is gonna compare him to a guy who threw 39 TDs in 2018?  gtho.....Watson is not on the same planet as Luck was and never will be.

4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

He sure is.  One of the most overrated players in the NFL.  Most TD passes in a season for this guy is 26.  And that's with the best receiver in the game on his team.  

And someone is gonna compare him to a guy who threw 39 TDs in 2018?  gtho.....Watson is not on the same planet as Luck was and never will be.

Not just Hopkins their whole core is elite . If luck had that group he would throw 50 tds.  Also Watson throws the ball so much it inflates his stats 

48 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Ballard is super competitive he hates losing .he is so fired up now to get this franchise a title .I don't think he believes in jacoby if he did he would've extended him now to save money .

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree.    We see this very differently.  

49 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I think our dead money is 7M. Could we not trade him and pick up some of the money so the other team would not absorb the remainder of his salary?

Contracts don't work that way. The team needs to take on any money that is guaranteed even if the player is no longer on the team.

22 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I’ll give you Mahomes and Wilson.  They’ve won Super Bowls.   You have to respect that.

BUT....   both QBs have much better teams around them — both sides of the ball — than Luck ever did.  Not even close.   And both QBs had better coaching staffs than Luck did.  (With Reich the exception.)

But neither Watson or Garropollo are in the same league as Luck.  Not close, not even a little.   Both would have to have a good number of high quality seasons to be elevated into Luck’s level.  Watson and JG are ranked roughly 11-16.   Luck was always 5-8, except when he was hurt like in 2017.

Luck carried his franchise from the day he arrived.  Typically average to poor defenses and mostly below average running games.   Wilson was a game manager for years while he enjoyed one of the best running games and best defenses of this era.   JG had a great defense and one of the best ground games.   Luck never had this until 2018.

I think you sell Luck short. 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:24 PM, pacolts56 said:

I can understand the sentiment even though I don't agree with it..... but here's the problem.

What if we simply can't make a deal happen for Hebert, Love or Tua? We can't just snap our fingers and make a trade into the Top 10.

And if we can't.... we better have someone on board such as Rivers who won't take a boatload of time picking up Reich's system. At least then we have a chance, no?

If we don't get a stop gap we probably don't cut or trade Brissett. Not the ideal scenario to not get a QB in the draft and roll with Brissett, but it's not a disaster. Free agency and the draft can still really help this team.

21 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Next question, does Simms have anything more to go on in saying this than any one of us does?  Because every single one of those guys is fully capable of talking out of both mouths at once.

There are worms in every organization, but he could be just shooting from the hip for all we know.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Jordan love will be a hall of Famer. I'd bet everything I own .  Ballard must get love 

Do it, do it, do it. 

I don't care what's going on, betting everything you own is always a solid move!

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There are worms in every organization, but he could be just shooting from the hip for all we know.

Simms can be a hot take kind of guy, but he's not normally emphatic on things he doesn't have a good feel for. He was pretty emphatic on this. But there's been all kinds of smoke about Indy and the QB situation, and CB's comments certainly have fanned the flames, so it's not hard for many to make that jump. 

Archived