Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WarGhost Mock Draft 2.0 (W/ Trade)

So, in thinking today about some picks and whatnot, I have decided to come up with a new Mock Draft for the team, and this time, I wanted to make some trades. Let's get into it!

Round 1, Pick 13: Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

The more I work through scouting and mock drafts, the more I feel like, should Kinlaw be there at 13, he has to be the pick. He is exactly what Ballard has said he's looking for, and exactly what this team needs. Kinlaw steps in as a Day One starter, and has All Pro upside within a few years. Unless Derrick Brown falls here, Kinlaw is my choice 9 times out of 10.

TRADE!!!!!

The Colts Trade Picks 34 and 75 to the Buffalo Bills for Pick 22

Round 1, Pick 22: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

I know, I know. Surprising, isn't it. However, I never was on the train of thought that Jordan Love wasn't good, I just didn't want to use Pick 13 on him. However, he is moving up slowly in my rankings and now has a decent gap between him and my QB 5 of Jacob Eason. I would prefer to get Love with Pick 34, but I don't see him falling past the Saints at 24, so we leapfrog them here to get our (hopefully) Franchise QB. Bring in a Vet (Rivers/Brady?) to mentor him for a year and see where he takes us!

Round 2, Pick 44: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

Kinlaw slides in at the 3-tech, and Gallimore comes in as our new 1-tech. Gallimore is a very good interior lineman, and pairing these two early picks together up front will tremendously improve both our pass rush and overall defense. If Gallimore isn't here, I'd look at Ross Blacklock, though he projects more as a 3-tech like Kinlaw.

Round 4: Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia

Kindley is my top rated Interior O-lineman, yet I have seen him fall this far in many drafts before. He is dominant at everything he does, with the only knock on him being that he might want to lose some weight to move faster in the NFL. Other than that, he is a beast. He would replace Glow on the right side almost from day one, and help our front line become even more dominant, potentially making it the unquestioned best in the league pending Castonzo's decision.

Round 5: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

An amazing WR, the only knock on Claypool's game is that he is too slow. If he does well at the combine in the 40, he could shoot up draft boards, as his skill set is that of a round 1 talent. I think he could take over as our WR1 in a few years, as he is that good to be going this late in the draft.

Round 6 (1st): Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

I know back-to-back receivers doesn't sound great, but each of these guys have so much potential in a deep class that I can't miss out on either. Given a few years of development, if they both pan out, they could be our top two WRs for the future after TY.

Round 6 (2nd): A.J. Dillon, RB, Boston College

This team has a great running game, but none of the guys on the roster really fit well in a goal-line back role. That is Dillon's specialty. At this late stage of the draft, getting a guy who could score 10+ touchdowns as a rookie is a massive get for a team that all to often is forced to pass or sweep outside in short yardage situations.

Round 7: Shyheim Carter, S, Alabama

A late round steal, Carter is a team's chess-piece. He has the speed to play as a nickel corner, while also having many times where Saban moved him to a sub LB. He won't start for the team, but in obvious passing situations he can come in and play an important role of shutting down the short and intermediate area's of the field.

Any changes you might make? Any surprises? Who here is your favorite pick, and who don't you like? Mock draft 3 will come out at some point soon after the Combine! I hope you enjoy this draft as much as I do! GO COLTS!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

So, in thinking today about some picks and whatnot, I have decided to come up with a new Mock Draft for the team, and this time, I wanted to make some trades. Let's get into it!

The more I work through scouting and mock drafts, the more I feel like, should Kinlaw be there at 13, he has to be the pick. He is exactly what Ballard has said he's looking for, and exactly what this team needs. Kinlaw steps in as a Day One starter, and has All Pro upside within a few years. Unless Derrick Brown falls here, Kinlaw is my choice 9 times out of 10.

TRADE!!!!!

I know, I know. Surprising, isn't it. However, I never was on the train of thought that Jordan Love wasn't good, I just didn't want to use Pick 13 on him. However, he is moving up slowly in my rankings and now has a decent gap between him and my QB 5 of Jacob Eason. I would prefer to get Love with Pick 34, but I don't see him falling past the Saints at 24, so we leapfrog them here to get our (hopefully) Franchise QB. Bring in a Vet (Rivers/Brady?) to mentor him for a year and see where he takes us!

Kinlaw slides in at the 3-tech, and Gallimore comes in as our new 1-tech. Gallimore is a very good interior lineman, and pairing these two early picks together up front will tremendously improve both our pass rush and overall defense. If Gallimore isn't here, I'd look at Ross Blacklock, though he projects more as a 3-tech like Kinlaw.

Kindley is my top rated Interior O-lineman, yet I have seen him fall this far in many drafts before. He is dominant at everything he does, with the only knock on him being that he might want to lose some weight to move faster in the NFL. Other than that, he is a beast. He would replace Glow on the right side almost from day one, and help our front line become even more dominant, potentially making it the unquestioned best in the league pending Castonzo's decision.

An amazing WR, the only knock on Claypool's game is that he is too slow. If he does well at the combine in the 40, he could shoot up draft boards, as his skill set is that of a round 1 talent. I think he could take over as our WR1 in a few years, as he is that good to be going this late in the draft.

I know back-to-back receivers doesn't sound great, but each of these guys have so much potential in a deep class that I can't miss out on either. Given a few years of development, if they both pan out, they could be our top two WRs for the future after TY.

This team has a great running game, but none of the guys on the roster really fit well in a goal-line back role. That is Dillon's specialty. At this late stage of the draft, getting a guy who could score 10+ touchdowns as a rookie is a massive get for a team that all to often is forced to pass or sweep outside in short yardage situations.

A late round steal, Carter is a team's chess-piece. He has the speed to play as a nickel corner, while also having many times where Saban moved him to a sub LB. He won't start for the team, but in obvious passing situations he can come in and play an important role of shutting down the short and intermediate area's of the field.

Any changes you might make? Any surprises? Who here is your favorite pick, and who don't you like? Mock draft 3 will come out at some point soon after the Combine! I hope you enjoy this draft as much as I do! GO COLTS!!

nailed it the office GIF

I like the first two picks. And your trade scenario isn't far fetched . But I think the team has to get a WR high in the draft. The Colts badly need an upgrade in talent at this position, and this is the year that first round talent will be available throughout the second round. Get me a WR at #44 and I'm happy. 

14 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

TRADE!!!!!

Great mock! Honestly love this. I'd sign Clowney and re-sign Funchess to another one-year deal as well just to put our team over the top. I love the double down on DT's early. This is definitely the draft to do it. Great job! :thmup:

15 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

TRADE!!!!!

I think your plans are well thought out and good discussion. I however tend to think 2 factors change this draft up so much that it can’t be predicted as to what the Colts will do, especially in the first round.  

the 2 biggest factors will be 

1. does AC stay or retire?

2. Does CB see C. Kelly as a potential long term solution (I lean yes)

In saying that, if AC stays, I’ll agree we take Kinlaw or Brown (assume Brown is gone by 13). After that, I don’t see a trade up. At 34, I could see either an OT or a WR (my least favorite option) and then go get Gallimore with 44 but wouldn’t be upset to get him at 34 either as I think those two D-Line guys will pair well together. 

i don’t see us grabbing 2 wr’s in this draft, especially back to back guys. Now, if CB feels like he will move on from TY after this season, it’s possible but that’s a big assumption. This team has wr’s that CB loves. 
1.TY

2. PC

3. A. dullin 

4. D. Fountain 

5. Pascal

6. M. Johnson

7. Z. Pascal

8. S. Ishmael 

I don’t see the colts using big draft capital on a wr when they have at least 2 of those guys already on the team to develop. Honestly 3 with Dullin, PC and DF as legit guys to develop. 

also one thing to consider in the draft construction is what, if any, FA player do we sign to alter our plans? If we take one of the premium pass rushers that’s out there, does that alter taking 2 DT’s? If we take Chris Jones, do we take someone at 13 besides a Kinlaw? What if we snag a top WR like A. Cooper? Just too many variables to know how to shape a draft. If we still had Luck at QB, I think it really clears up a lot of questions but it’s where we are at currently. 

I do enjoy reading everyone’s draft summaries though. Thanks for all the work you guys put into it. 

25 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I highly doubt the Bills would take a #2 and #3 for the 22nd pick. They would demand both our #2 picks at least..

FWIW, on the draft value chart, together,pick 34 and 75 are nearly identical in point value as pick 22.  In theory, that should be enough.

I like the trade up, except, OP is trading up for the wrong QB.  It should be for Fromm (pending combine results).

I think many of the rest of OPs picks will be gone by the time they are shown being drafted. Notably, Gallimore, Kindley, and Claypool.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think your plans are well thought out and good discussion. I however tend to think 2 factors change this draft up so much that it can’t be predicted as to what the Colts will do, especially in the first round.  

the 2 biggest factors will be 

1. does AC stay or retire?

2. Does CB see C. Kelly as a potential long term solution (I lean yes)

In saying that, if AC stays, I’ll agree we take Kinlaw or Brown (assume Brown is gone by 13). After that, I don’t see a trade up. At 34, I could see either an OT or a WR (my least favorite option) and then go get Gallimore with 44 but wouldn’t be upset to get him at 34 either as I think those two D-Line guys will pair well together. 

i don’t see us grabbing 2 wr’s in this draft, especially back to back guys. Now, if CB feels like he will move on from TY after this season, it’s possible but that’s a big assumption. This team has wr’s that CB loves. 
1.TY

2. PC

3. A. dullin 

4. D. Fountain 

5. Pascal

6. M. Johnson

7. Z. Pascal

8. S. Ishmael 

I don’t see the colts using big draft capital on a wr when they have at least 2 of those guys already on the team to develop. Honestly 3 with Dullin, PC and DF as legit guys to develop. 

also one thing to consider in the draft construction is what, if any, FA player do we sign to alter our plans? If we take one of the premium pass rushers that’s out there, does that alter taking 2 DT’s? If we take Chris Jones, do we take someone at 13 besides a Kinlaw? What if we snag a top WR like A. Cooper? Just too many variables to know how to shape a draft. If we still had Luck at QB, I think it really clears up a lot of questions but it’s where we are at currently. 

I do enjoy reading everyone’s draft summaries though. Thanks for all the work you guys put into it. 

From that list of WRs currently on the Colts roster, I count three worth holding on to: 

TY, Pascal, and Campbell ( and maybe Fountain ). There rest are just guys who don't get consistent separation, if at all. You had to see what everyone else saw: when TY is out, the pass offense suffers mightily. They need an heir apparent to TY who can serve as the Robin to his Batman in the meantime. And this is the year to find that guy. 

22 minutes ago, Hoose said:

From that list of WRs currently on the Colts roster, I count three worth holding on to: 

TY, Pascal, and Campbell ( and maybe Fountain ). There rest are just guys who don't get consistent separation, if at all. You had to see what everyone else saw: when TY is out, the pass offense suffers mightily. They need an heir apparent to TY who can serve as the Robin to his Batman in the meantime. And this is the year to find that guy. 

I won’t disagree that after TY (prior to 2019) all of these players could potentially be replaced with a new shiny draftee wr. The problem here is twofold imho. 1. You either think the QB has created issues with the wr’s looking worse than they are and 2. So many draft prospects have high ceilings listed but can’t seem to turn it on in the nfl post college success. 

if you are in camp 1, would the players we are in the process of developing be much better if we had a QB who could anticipate a wr’s break better? By adding more wr’s to develop and having JB throw it to them, would it help? If we are changing QB’s don’t you think that would in turn also help develop the guys we currently have with high ceilings? We then get to use those picks on TE’s, OT,DT, CB etc... 

im not saying we have 8 blue chip wr’s on the team and based off 2019, one questions that we have 1 blue chip. I’m saying improve that QB slot and all the guys we have now have every bit of potential to bring in a great skill set that we currently have in the stable.