Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Horrible Season Comes To An End

Dingus McGirt

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sf Went from 4 wins to the SB in one year. I want to see upgrades in FA and the draft.

SF wont be back in the SB this coming season. Upgrades are fine to want, but to lose faith in your GM is kind of far fetched. You're talking about 1 team doing this and then turning around and saying you want the same for your team in 1 off season is unreasonable. It's fine if you lose faith in him, but beyond a disastrous off season by Ballard I wont be losing faith until 2023. That's how much rope I give him because you're not replacing an elite QB in one off season. You're asking Ballard to be a HOF level GM after 3 years in the league as a GM. You can argue your point all you want, but it is still unreasonable whether you like that fact or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Getting this thread back on track, I think this season was more frustrating than horrible. Games were there to be won and they slipped away. This Colts season and last nights SB showed the importance of having a QB who has things under control at it's most critical moments, vs a QB who looked good when things were going well, but overwhelmed once things got tight.

I get that, but people on here are screaming for Jordan Love because he compares to Mahomes.  NEWS FLASH... There is no next Mahomes.  The man is a once in a generation player, people will lose there jobs overdrafting and overreaching for players that "compare" to him. 

Also Jimmy G was headed towards winning the SuperBowl until Shanahan mucked it up, lol.  They had the lead with 6 minutes left and the Chiefs had yet to stop the run.  The Niners did that job for them and put the ball in Jimmy G's hands for no reason.  He would have won them the game had they pounded the rock like had been doing all game, and he was on track to throw for just over 200 yards.  Jimmy G is perfect for what they want to do and they will be back next year competing for the SuperBowl.

What I have started saying and now truly believe, The Colts just need a QB that fits what Ballard and Reich want to do, which in my opinion is to run the ball, be efficient on offense, play good defense and don't turn the ball over.  It doesn't have to be Mahomes or Manning.  If that is in the draft, then go and get him, if that is an "Improved" JB then so be it. If it is Derek Carr, make the move.  Just find who fits the Colts and lets roll.  I will support however that is.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Garropolo missed 13 games last year.   

Yep which led to an awful season and the 2nd pick in each round of the draft.   

San Fran did not suddenly become good.  It took many crappy years to achieve what they did. 

They will be good for several years.    The defense is stacked and young.  

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have a C+/B- overall team IMO. Think of it as playing madden 20 as the Colts and you're in year 3 of rebuilding a team honestly where a solid player can hit on almost every pick. Ballard is now entering year 4. He's very close to that Madden pace. We have 9 picks in the draft (an extra early 2nd and late 6th rounder). If Ballard continues to hit on draft picks, we will build up the pro bowl and possibly all-pro players where we won't need Andrew Luck to win a SB. We have a good foundation, just need good injury luck, another draft, and a QB better than Brissett and we have a chance to compete.

If Ballard starts Brissett next year without drafting an early rookie, we should be upset. I have a feeling with the Chiefs winning the SB, we will trade up in the first round to obtain a QB that can match Mahomes offensively.

There is no Mahommes in this draft. This is NOT a QB heavy draft 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

There is no Mahommes in this draft. This is NOT a QB heavy draft 

To be fair Mahomes was an absolute unknown and left a lot of people scratching their heads at the pick. He showed arm talent but nothing like he does now. I also don't know why you dont think this is a QB heavy class. Your going to see Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love and I wouldn't rule out Jake Fromm sneaking into the first either. That's possibly 5 taken in the first which would tie the record for most taken in the first.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don't know about you all... but it's hard for me to get excited about next season with so many holes on this team.... especially at QB. Hopefully the Colts will make some moves in Free agency and the draft to change the Outlook......

I think good QB play and a pass rush can mask many of the holes.  Our defensive scheme needs to rush the passer to be successful.    Also, more offensive scores will help our defense.  in 2019 the opposing offenses could do whatever they wanted.  It's not like they were down 10-14 points much.  

34 minutes ago, twfish said:

To be fair Mahomes was an absolute unknown and left a lot of people scratching their heads at the pick. He showed arm talent but nothing like he does now. I also don't know why you dont think this is a QB heavy class. Your going to see Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love and I wouldn't rule out Jake Fromm sneaking into the first either. That's possibly 5 taken in the first which would tie the record for most taken in the first.

Im just saying there are lingering questions about Tua, Herbert and Love. Can their game translate into the NFL

15 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Im just saying there are lingering questions about Tua, Herbert and Love. Can their game translate into the NFL

So to you, a QB has to be as good as Joe Burrow to be worth drafting in the 1st round? Burrow looks very close to the Luck category. I'll also make a fun bet with you that one of Tua/Herbert/Love will have a winning record in year 1 next year. I guarantee they will be on bad teams.

Most QBs are unfinished projects. We are so spoiled as a fanbase that you don't want to draft a QB unless they are no1 pick. Most aren't. Guys like Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar Jackson were later 1st round picks than that no1 spot. Brees, Wilson, Dak, Cousins and Brady were drafted outside the 1st round. No excuses. There is a franchise QB in this draft besides Burrow. It's up to Ballard to identify him and take him come draft time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So to you, a QB has to be as good as Joe Burrow to be worth drafting in the 1st round? Burrow looks very close to the Luck category. I'll also make a fun bet with you that one of Tua/Herbert/Love will have a winning record in year 1 next year. I guarantee they will be on bad teams.

Most QBs are unfinished projects. We are so spoiled as a fanbase that you don't want to draft a QB unless they are no1 pick. Most aren't. Guys like Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar Jackson were later 1st round picks than that no1 spot. Brees, Wilson, Dak, Cousins and Brady were drafted outside the 1st round. No excuses. There is a franchise QB in this draft besides Burrow. It's up to Ballard to identify him and take him come draft time.

I agree with this. If Herbert goes to the chargers and starts right away that team is set up for him to have a winning record. Chargers I don’t think are a bad team. They are kind of like the colts.  Just one of those years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Settle down dude. Its my opinion

In '99 the Rams won the sb after going 4-12 the previous year and they used a former grocery bagger at qb. It did help also that they were given a 24 year old future hall of famer rb for a 2nd and 5th round pick that year. So I guess anything can happen. Another excellent draft by Ballard and an average qb and we are right back in the thick of things.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, Chloe6124 said:

All I know I am going to lose faith in Ballard if he doesn’t do the things required this off season to make us contenders. 

What do you recommend we do? You post more than anyone in here so lets see your draft and Free Agency. Lets here your draft and what QB you want? To the OP this was far from a horrible season, you must be young like Chloe and haven't seen horrible. Horrible was 1984-1986 when we had Mike Pagel winning 3 or 4 games, and 1991 when we went 1-15 with Jeff George. Had we had a FG kicker that was good we would've won 10 games this year so everyone crapping on Brissett just makes me laugh. Spoiled fans think Peyton Manning's grow on trees, huh NO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What do you recommend we do? You post more than anyone in here so lets see your draft and Free Agency. Lets here your draft and what QB you want? To the OP this was far from a horrible season, you must be young like Chloe and haven't seen horrible. Horrible was 1984-1986 when we had Mike Pagel winning 3 or 4 games, and 1991 when we went 1-15 with Jeff George. Had we had a FG kicker that was good we would've won 10 games this year so everyone crapping on Brissett just makes me laugh. Spoiled fans think Peyton Manning's grow on trees, huh NO.

To defend @Chloe6124 here, there is a big difference between Brissett and Manning. Just because she (and most posters on this forum) want someone better than Brissett, doesn't mean we expect a QB of Peyton's calibur. A Dalton, Carr, Herbert or Love type would suffice. Just someone with upside that could get us to the playoffs or gives this team hope for the future.

That's what keeps fans coming back, the illusion of hope, and it starts with the QB.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 9:11 PM, indyagent17 said:

I agree this season has been a major league disappointment. I think most everyone had us in the talk to be one of the teams that could win the AFC. I'm going to say it again I'll never forgive number 12 for what he did. He screwed over the fans and that is not acceptable or forgivable. This is the last time I'll say this but it had to be said us the season of hope ended with a thud.

I feel the exact same way .   You’re not alone bro 

21 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Kittle call at the end of the 1st half of the SB was pretty bad IMO. You have to let something like that go. 49ers may of played the last two minutes different if they were down by 1 and needed a fg to win the SB rather than a td. 

He pushed off to create the separation that allowed him to make the catch.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

He pushed off to create the separation that allowed him to make the catch.

Should have been called in the Saints game as well...IMO

As far as the Colts - if Fromm is there at 34, I’d be happy with the Colts drafting him. He’s not Mahomes but I think Reich could develop him into a solid QB

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brissett is closer to Pagel than he is to Manning.   We just want to try someone better than Brissett.   We don't want to go 8-8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Two_pound said:

In '99 the Rams won the sb after going 4-12 the previous year and they used a former grocery bagger at qb. It did help also that they were given a 24 year old future hall of famer rb for a 2nd and 5th round pick that year. So I guess anything can happen. Another excellent draft by Ballard and an average qb and we are right back in the thick of things.

An average QB will get the team to ... well... average!

• Like 1

No, an average qb is way above the absolutely horrible qb we had last season, thus we would show a very huge improvement in performance and record. Not counting missed kicks how many points did Brissett leave on the field last season by missing wide open receivers and not seeing wide open guys who may have scored td's and instead we had to punt? I'm guessing 80-100 points, that doesn't sound like much, but in the nfl where most games are "one-score games"(8 points or less) that is a lot of points to miss out on. There a  number of teams in the league that you can say need a better qb and we are one of them.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:52 AM, The Peytonator said:

It didn’t end like we hoped but it was still entertaining. We were still playing for the division with three weeks left and beat the Super Bowl champs in their own house. Considering our franchise quarterback retired two weeks before the season I’d hardly consider that a horrible season. 

The retirement of the franchise quarterback is the main ingredient in making 2019 a horrible season.  But, go ahead and leave that factor out if you like.  7-9, injuries to the entire receiving corps, QB injury in the middle of the season, #1 RB out with a freak hand injury, and a future HOF kicker collapses.  Good season?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was willing to give Jacoby the entire season to show improvement. Instead he went backwards. Missing wide open guys. Not even talking about reading the defense but flat out missing open guys. 

We dont need a manning. Can we at least get above average. I think Jacoby can improve some if we stay healthy and upgrade weapons but I don’t think he can get us where we need to go.

I have said plenty of times I would be happy with drafting Herbert or Love. If we cant get one of them then I would be ok trading for Carr. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was willing to give Jacoby the entire season to show improvement. Instead he went backwards. Missing wide open guys. Not even talking about reading the defense but flat out missing open guys. 

I was the same.   In fact, early in the season I was one of the bigger defenders of Brissett.   I was a bit blinded by his lack of turnovers.   I also thought he'd improve.   He didn't.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Brissett is closer to Pagel than he is to Manning.   We just want to try someone better than Brissett.   We don't want to go 8-8.

Actually JB is a lot better than Pagel was (also a lot better than Painter and Tolzien) but he isn't near Manning's level or even on Luck's level. Pagel sucked. I do think we need an upgrade at QB but we just need to find the right one. If we draft a bust, it will set this franchise back even further. At least with JB we know 9 or 10 wins are possible if we have a healthy team and a solid run game. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually JB is a lot better than Pagel was (also a lot better than Painter and Tolzien) but he isn't near Manning's level or even on Luck's level. Pagel sucked. I do think we need an upgrade at QB but we just need to find the right one. If we draft a bust, it will set this franchise back even further. At least with JB we know 9 or 10 wins are possible if we have a healthy team and a solid run game. 

Not likely with next year's schedule.  :^)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Not likely with next year's schedule.  :^)

You never know how a season will play out. We may have games against teams where their key players are out for example. Hard to predict this early. I am still not sold on any of the college QB's coming out and I am on the Carr bandwagon. I like Love but not sure if he will be a good pro??

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 8:28 AM, NannyMcafee said:

You'll lose faith In Ballard? He has a very tall order thus off season. I wouldnt say theres any GM in the league that could turn this around in one off season after losing an elite QB. 

This. Thank you. If that were people's expectations I don't see how they don't lose faith in Ballard then. Great QBs don't grow on trees. Let alone finding one and nailing every pick that addresses our other major needs. I think we can have an awesome offseason, but if people are expecting Ballard to make us deep playoff contenders in one season they may be disappointed. A lot of luck would be needed for things to go that way.

But we can improve this offseason. I'm upset with Ballard only if with our 9 pick and large cap space he botches giving us a better future. Next season and beyond. We can't take forever to improve; contracts expire, cap runs out. But we just lost our franchise QB. We've not had one offseason without him in our plans. Temper your expectations. Plenty of great teams took years to develop, none of those teams had their QB surprisingly retire in the middle of a rebuild. We're just now figuring out what to do now. That's a tall, tall order for CB and FR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

9 wins is possible but so is 7 wins with Brissett.   Very low ceiling with him.   I like the talent on the team now and do not want to waste another season watching Brissetts .500 ball.  

22 hours ago, Two_pound said:

No, an average qb is way above the absolutely horrible qb we had last season, thus we would show a very huge improvement in performance and record. Not counting missed kicks how many points did Brissett leave on the field last season by missing wide open receivers and not seeing wide open guys who may have scored td's and instead we had to punt? I'm guessing 80-100 points, that doesn't sound like much, but in the nfl where most games are "one-score games"(8 points or less) that is a lot of points to miss out on. There a  number of teams in the league that you can say need a better qb and we are one of them.

No, sadly you are wrong. Average is average! If you want play off games or super bowls you have to think higher. Yes, we had horrible QB play this past year but you have to get past mediocrity. This (what if) stuff is for the birds. Its old and getting boring. The Colts have to hit the reset button. Everybody needs to stop with the what ifs. Its history already!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't believe for a second JB can win you 9 or 10 games going forward. Maybe 4 if things are clicking. I mean, even a stopped clock is right twice a day! Look, JB doesn't have what it takes. He has to many flaws. Its been mentioned on this forum many times. The bottom line is, he needs to find some other employment. Something where he gets time to think things through and not have to make decisions under pressure. I'm trying not to knock him. A lot of people don't have certain traits to be good at their profession. Therefore, he needs to use his head and not his heart. The Colts need better!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Don't believe for a second JB can win you 9 or 10 games going forward. Maybe 4 if things are clicking. I mean, even a stopped clock is right twice a day! Look, JB doesn't have what it takes. He has to many flaws. Its been mentioned on this forum many times. The bottom line is, he needs to find some other employment. Something where he gets time to think things through and not have to make decisions under pressure. I'm trying not to knock him. A lot of people don't have certain traits to be good at their profession. Therefore, he needs to use his head and not his heart. The Colts need better!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure how hard you tried there my friend! haha

Jacoby Brissett will remain in this league for a long time as, although he has his flaws, a good backup quarterback is an extremely valuable asset.  Based on this season, I think it is fair to say he is not the future as our starter but he would easily be one of the best backups in the league on any team, and so he will make a small fortune off the abilities he has, which includes his stellar reputation in the locker room.

34 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

He just won 7 last season

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am not sure how hard you tried there my friend! haha

Jacoby Brissett will remain in this league for a long time as, although he has his flaws, a good backup quarterback is an extremely valuable asset.  Based on this season, I think it is fair to say he is not the future as our starter but he would easily be one of the best backups in the league on any team, and so he will make a small fortune off the abilities he has, which includes his stellar reputation in the locker room.

I'm not trying to knock him meaning as a person (Human being) only as a football QB. You can think what you like regarding him being a back up QB in this league for a long time. Myself, i think its a waste of money and teams can do better. IMO, his flaws are sustainable and there's enough tape on him to make him useless even as a back up QB.