Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Horrible Season Comes To An End

Dingus McGirt

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You never know how a season will play out. We may have games against teams where their key players are out for example. Hard to predict this early. I am still not sold on any of the college QB's coming out and I am on the Carr bandwagon. I like Love but not sure if he will be a good pro??

No one really knows.  Time will out.  :^)

On 2/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, twfish said:

To be fair Mahomes was an absolute unknown and left a lot of people scratching their heads at the pick. He showed arm talent but nothing like he does now. I also don't know why you dont think this is a QB heavy class. Your going to see Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love and I wouldn't rule out Jake Fromm sneaking into the first either. That's possibly 5 taken in the first which would tie the record for most taken in the first.

the draft experts were scratching their heads when they took mahomes, kiper gave them a C for the pick 

one of the experts said only three teams gave mahamoes a first round grade, cardinals, chiefs and i dont remember the other 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

I'm not trying to knock him meaning as a person (Human being) only as a football QB. You can think what you like regarding him being a back up QB in this league for a long time. Myself, i think its a waste of money and teams can do better. IMO, his flaws are sustainable and there's enough tape on him to make him useless even as a back up QB.

All for opinions, but this is incorrect. 

The level of backup QB's in the league is pretty rotten (Bortles, Geno Smith, Glennon, Siemian all from 2019) and there is enough evidence to show that having a capable backup for 2/3 games can be invaluable for a team with playoff aspirations.

Brissett showed enough in the first half of the year to show he can play well, but the second half of the year showed he does not seem able to do it consistently at a starter level.  I agree we need to move on but to say he is "useless even as a backup QB" is just not true when you look at context of his peers.

14 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Brissett showed enough in the first half of the year to show he can play well, but the second half of the year showed he does not seem able to do it consistently at a starter level.  I agree we need to move on but to say he is "useless even as a backup QB" is just not true when you look at context of his peers.

I agree.  Brissett is a fine backup QB.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

All for opinions, but this is incorrect. 

The level of backup QB's in the league is pretty rotten (Bortles, Geno Smith, Glennon, Siemian all from 2019) and there is enough evidence to show that having a capable backup for 2/3 games can be invaluable for a team with playoff aspirations.

Your opinion but not mind. Again, settling for average. You always try to upgrade the talent even the back ups.

My point was that an average qb on this team wins 10, 11, maybe even 12 games. That's how far below average Brissett is. Is any qb in this years draft going to be better than average with the possible exception of Burrow? Top qbs don't grow on trees, if they did all 32 teams would have one. Build the team the way Ballard is doing get a solid  qb and dominate all three phases of the game. What's sad is we had 2 of the best qb's in history for the past 20 years and have 2 sb appearences to show for it. So, I'll ask, how are we going to get there with an average qb???? You can't blow 1st round picks on qb's like Love, Fromm, Tua, Eason. I know I'm in the minority here but I think we already have a qb on the roster better than any of those guys.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

My point was that an average qb on this team wins 10, 11, maybe even 12 games. That's how far below average Brissett is.

You have an odd definition of average. There are currently 77 QB's employed in the NFL. By your definition, all but six are average or below. Yes, I know you said this team.

Is any qb in this years draft going to be better than average with the possible exception of Burrow?

There is absolutely no way to know for at least a couple of years

Top qbs don't grow on trees, if they did all 32 teams would have one. Build the team the way Ballard is doing get a solid  qb and dominate all three phases of the game.

Spot on. I agree totally. 

If you take Brissett's second half where teams adjusted to him, we went 3-5 with him at QB. Keep in mind that's with a solid run game and the same 5 O-Lineman. Yes our WRs were hurt, but does it really matter when Brissett can't hit a WR within 5 yds? After a 14/3 Td/INT ratio, he went 4/3 the rest of the season in 8 games. 8 GAMES! Not like he was responsible for moving the ball either, that was the running game and Hines on special teams.

If he plays like he did second half, we'd go 6-10 at best, and it'd be the most cringeworthy 6-10 you'd ever see. More than likely it'd be closer to 4 wins if he repeats last year in the 2nd half. Replace him with a veteran in FA, or start a rookie over him, or we are admitting we aren't competing in 2020 before the season starts. His only good trait is not throwing interceptions, and it has made Brissett so conservative as a QB that he holds on to the ball too long and it has ruined him.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:54 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I get that, but people on here are screaming for Jordan Love because he compares to Mahomes.  NEWS FLASH... There is no next Mahomes.  The man is a once in a generation player, people will lose there jobs overdrafting and overreaching for players that "compare" to him. 

Also Jimmy G was headed towards winning the SuperBowl until Shanahan mucked it up, lol.  They had the lead with 6 minutes left and the Chiefs had yet to stop the run.  The Niners did that job for them and put the ball in Jimmy G's hands for no reason.  He would have won them the game had they pounded the rock like had been doing all game, and he was on track to throw for just over 200 yards.  Jimmy G is perfect for what they want to do and they will be back next year competing for the SuperBowl.

What I have started saying and now truly believe, The Colts just need a QB that fits what Ballard and Reich want to do, which in my opinion is to run the ball, be efficient on offense, play good defense and don't turn the ball over.  It doesn't have to be Mahomes or Manning.  If that is in the draft, then go and get him, if that is an "Improved" JB then so be it. If it is Derek Carr, make the move.  Just find who fits the Colts and lets roll.  I will support however that is.

i agree great post, plus surround the qb with a few game changing free agents

1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

i already have as i watch the colts sink toward the bottom of our division, ballards method is not working as our record shows

Way over the top harsh. I certainly don't think Ballard is perfect, but there's only one reason we didn't compete for the AFC championship this year, and that's Luck's retirement. If you look at our record this year and the scores, with Luck, we're very likely to have been 14-2 or at minimum 13-3, and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. If that happened, Ballard would have been a contender for GM of the year.

If you want to find fault with Ballard for not making a move to get another QB after Luck announcement, that's fair, but the reality of it, is there were very few options given the timing. As far as the other pieces on the team, everything was built with the assumption we'd have a decent QB. The only thing I can blame him for is sitting on too much cash/cap. 

• Like 1

I agree with most of this.  Failing to sign E. Sanders was, in hindsight, with all the WR injuries, a prime example of sitting on the cap.  But you can't predict injuries.  The decision to sign Hoyer for $ 1.2 mil and insert him as backup QB instead of promoting Swag, in my mind was a terrible mistake, that could have given us an opportunity to narrow down our option's  in the upcoming draft.

56 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I agree with most of this.  Failing to sign E. Sanders was, in hindsight, with all the WR injuries, a prime example of sitting on the cap.  

Sanders was traded to the 49ers for a 3rd and 4th. How could the Colts have signed him? 

Get a competent signal caller, and the team could do well. Pressure up the middle  has to happen

for the defense to get to the next level. Of course if you can't stay healthy, then all is out the window. Good QB - top 5 defense - small injury list = superbowl run. People in Hell want ice water too. Do you realize how many things have to go right for everything to go good?