Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Don’t need A WR in the 1st

Been seeing some mocks with the Colts taking receivers like Lamb or Jeudy in the 1st. I really don’t think we need to do that though. People have compared this WR class to the one from 2014, and it’s not an exaggeration.

I’ve been doing some more film study and I think we should target a WR in rounds 2-3. There’s a lot of depth. 2 WRs flying under the radar are Gabriel Davis of UCF and Denzel Mims of Baylor. I expect both to rise (at least in the eyes of the media) after combine testing. Add to that guys like Pittman, Aiyuk, Reagor, DPJ, Hamler, etc...

I think we should wait on WR

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Assuming we get a new QB, I'd draft 2 WRs. One in the 3rd or 4th, and one in the 5th or 6th. 

Depth is crazy good. No need to spend a 1st or a 2nd.

The only reason I say two, is that there looks to be incredible value, even in the 6th and 7th rounds. And we have two 6th round picks.

• Like 1

You shouldn’t be picking, especially in the first round based on need.  If a wr is a super blue chipper that falls to 13 you have to take him.  If you draft based on need, or lack thereof in this case because of depth, you won’t get better in the long run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

You shouldn’t be picking, especially in the first round based on need.  If a wr is a super blue chipper that falls to 13 you have to take him.  If you draft based on need, or lack thereof in this case because of depth, you won’t get better in the long run. 

Yep. At #13, QB considerations aside, you have to take the overall BPA at any 

of the other positions of need.

The Colts desperately need elite, difference making talent. 

• Like 2

I don’t see a problem with it. There’s only two guys that would qualify...and both appear to be blue chip prospects. 

You mentioned 2014...look who went top 13. The chance to have a Mike Evans/OBJ level of WR is absolutely worth picking there. 

I don’t think the Colts will draft one in the 1st...but I do hope they double dip...with both being drafted before the 5th round.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, indykmj said:

Yep. At #13, QB considerations aside, you have to take the overall BPA at any 

of the other positions of need.

The Colts desperately need elite, difference making talent. 

Agree that BPA is the way to go but I think WR is always a luxury pick. If you’ve got an elite QB, solid O-line, and respectable defense then you can draft a WR early. Same thing about RBs.

With a glaring hole at 3-Tech (a position Ballard openly said was very important) and a mediocre at best QB, I can’t see Ballard drafting a receiver at 13.

I can't remember if I read it or heard it on the radio the other day, but there are as many as 20 WR's who will probably go in the 1st 3 rounds. If this is true then I think with that much depth in the draft we would probably be better served drafting a WR with our lower 2nd round or our 3rd round pick and address other needs with the 13th and 34th pick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I can't remember if I read it or heard it on the radio the other day, but there are as many as 20 WR's who will probably go in the 1st 3 rounds. If this is true then I think with that much depth in the draft we would probably be better served drafting a WR with our lower 2nd round or our 3rd round pick and address other needs with the 13th and 34th pick.

That was Matt Miller who said that I believe because I just listened to that podcast today. Also said he’s heard 5 QBs are going in the top 15.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Yea we have a need at wr but with the depth of this draft, I’d rather wait. I wouldn’t wait past the third round though. Last year proved you can get a quality wr in the second or third round but we just picked the wrong one. 

Seems a little premature to make that assumption. Are we really calling Campbell a bust already?

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Seems a little premature to make that assumption. Are we really calling Campbell a bust already?

Idk about bust but a couple receivers from his class have outperformed him. Yes he was injured a lot but when healthy, I still think Terry is better. Brown looks way more polished than him as well but I thought that before they got drafted. Even the receiver from Ohio State this year (Hill) looks better. 

We don't really NEED need a WR at 13. BUT... I kind of feel like there is clear separation between Ceedee and Jeudy and the rest(maybe you can include Ruggs in this group). This is not meant to disparage the rest, because I love this class and you will probably be able to get R2 type of talent in R4 this year, the class is THIS stacked. But this team still needs an X receiver.. or generally an outside receiver who can be a guy that the opposing coaches need to plan for, a guy who can consistently beat his man and be able to playmake be it in the air or after the catch, a guy you would need to double if you are playing on Superbowl Sunday. 

My point is... if Lamb or Jeudy fall... and we don't like any of the QBs, I would be perfectly good with taking any of them. To me they are blue chip players and you never pass on a blue chip player for a lesser type of talent at other position. (QBs excluded, because they require completely different circumstances)

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about bust but a couple receivers from his class have outperformed him. Yes he was injured a lot but when healthy, I still think Terry is better. Brown looks way more polished than him as well but I thought that before they got drafted. Even the receiver from Ohio State this year (Hill) looks better. 

On receivers, I always look at Reggie Wayne... there were a couple of receivers drafted after Wayne that outperformed him for the first couple of years.  But yet, none of them area  finalists for the Hall of Fame.  Not saying Campbell will be a HOF candidate when it's all said and done, just saying that 1 year of production is not enough to claim the Cols should have taken another player.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

We don't really NEED need a WR at 13. BUT... I kind of feel like there is clear separation between Ceedee and Jeudy and the rest(maybe you can include Ruggs in this group). This is not meant to disparage the rest, because I love this class and you will probably be able to get R2 type of talent in R4 this year, the class is THIS stacked. But this team still needs an X receiver.. or generally an outside receiver who can be a guy that the opposing coaches need to plan for, a guy who can consistently beat his man and be able to playmake be it in the air or after the catch, a guy you would need to double if you are playing on Superbowl Sunday. 

My point is... if Lamb or Jeudy fall... and we don't like any of the QBs, I would be perfectly good with taking any of them. To me they are blue chip players and you never pass on a blue chip player for a lesser type of talent at other position. (QBs excluded, because they require completely different circumstances)

If Lamb or Jeudy are at the top of the board then most definitely.  A lot of time and work goes into developing the big board, come draft time you have to trust the board, the worst thing a team can do is reach for need.

• Like 4

I have a ton of players I absolutely love in this class. Here is my top 25 big board, and I honestly would love to have any of them. It's a great class, both talent wise and depth wise!

1365444071_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_46_48AM.thumb.png.4065e6f925567c4ea5766ab464217124.png

1651568391_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_47_02AM.thumb.png.ebaa4cfc83852d501b6d3d2ea6112f0a.png

822980221_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_47_16AM.png.126ea40ecdc7d5606f91eb90fc0390ef.png

Perhaps my favorite later round prospect is Chase Claypool from Notre Dame. He has all the tools, the only question is about his speed. However, if he gets even a 4.5 at the combine, I would love to add him to the roster. He has the potential to be a number 1 with his skill set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Didn’t call him a bust. Just stated that we could’ve done better than Parris. Now I still think he’ll be a decent player, just not the same as some of the other wrs that went that range. With that said I don’t think we’ll get max potential out of our wrs until we address the QB position. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree that BPA is the way to go but I think WR is always a luxury pick. If you’ve got an elite QB, solid O-line, and respectable defense then you can draft a WR early. Same thing about RBs.

With a glaring hole at 3-Tech (a position Ballard openly said was very important) and a mediocre at best QB, I can’t see Ballard drafting a receiver at 13.

Since we haven't had a chance to add your 3 tech in FA this is just blather.
  When the grading is done and when we draft there is an elite WR available and the next guy on our board doesn't have an elite grade, Ballard would try to trade back, or he would take the WR.
 Trust him when he says he will stick with his board.
And yes i too am hoping there is a monster 3-tech coming from somewhere.

30 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I have a ton of players I absolutely love in this class. Here is my top 25 big board, and I honestly would love to have any of them. It's a great class, both talent wise and depth wise!

1365444071_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_46_48AM.thumb.png.4065e6f925567c4ea5766ab464217124.png

1651568391_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_47_02AM.thumb.png.ebaa4cfc83852d501b6d3d2ea6112f0a.png

822980221_ScreenShot2020-01-31at10_47_16AM.png.126ea40ecdc7d5606f91eb90fc0390ef.png

Perhaps my favorite later round prospect is Chase Claypool from Notre Dame. He has all the tools, the only question is about his speed. However, if he gets even a 4.5 at the combine, I would love to add him to the roster. He has the potential to be a number 1 with his skill set.

The Colts should be all over Tyler Johnson. The Adams/Thomas comps are optimistic (and probably somewhat lazy)...but he has that pedigree. And I bet he won't flash at the Combine like some of those guys...making him available in the late 2nd round. 

I will say...I place a good amount of value on college production when it comes to evaluating WRs. There are going to be exceptions...like a guy who gets hurt and/or a physical freak like Metcalf. But being able to produce when teams are actively game-planning against you...is a huge plus...even if it's just college talent.

My hope is to get two of the guys in your top 20. I think Ballard missed out on a double-dipping last year. Fortunately, this class will offer that opportunity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Didn’t call him a bust. Just stated that we could’ve done better than Parris. Now I still think he’ll be a decent player, just not the same as some of the other wrs that went that range. With that said I don’t think we’ll get max potential out of our wrs until we address the QB position. 

He's not a bust yet...and he obviously has that game-breaking ability...but I do worry about him staying healthy now...which is going to hamper his development. And I am not sure what his role will be. And yes...QB is a big issue right now. 

IF I was Ballard...my focus is DL (and defense in general) in FA/possibly trade....AND then using the draft to fix my passing game. I wouldn't even mind a 2012-esque draft...except with two WRs and one TE. 

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Been seeing some mocks with the Colts taking receivers like Lamb or Jeudy in the 1st. I really don’t think we need to do that though. People have compared this WR class to the one from 2014, and it’s not an exaggeration.

I’ve been doing some more film study and I think we should target a WR in rounds 2-3. There’s a lot of depth. 2 WRs flying under the radar are Gabriel Davis of UCF and Denzel Mims of Baylor. I expect both to rise (at least in the eyes of the media) after combine testing. Add to that guys like Pittman, Aiyuk, Reagor, DPJ, Hamler, etc...

I think we should wait on WR

It's funny how much more focused we are (as are the experts) on our weakness at WR now that A. Luck has retired.

Not too long ago the sentiment on this board would have been a lot different with the exact same personnel returning...projecting the continued rise of Zach Pascal and the return of a healthy TY Hilton with P. Campbell having a productive year 2 building on glimpses of talent while simply taking a mulligan on Funchess (who would be foolish to re-sign here on a 1 year deal).  Fountain will be back to compete for the 5th spot...so just draft a mid round guy to develop and let A. Luck make him better.  

It's not that we don't need to capitalize on a great WR draft class...we clearly do...nor is a bad idea to draft Jeudy or Lamb early (we could use a difference-maker and young WR1 to be sure), but our impatience at the receiver position is directly tied to the QB position....in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

It's funny how much more focused we are (as are the experts) on our weakness at WR now that A. Luck has retired.

Not too long ago the sentiment on this board would have been a lot different with the exact same personnel returning...projecting the continued rise of Zach Pascal and the return of a healthy TY Hilton with P. Campbell having a productive year 2 building on glimpses of talent while simply taking a mulligan on Funchess (who would be foolish to re-sign here on a 1 year deal).  Fountain will be back to compete for the 5th spot...so just draft a mid round guy to develop and let A. Luck make him better.  

It's not that we don't need to capitalize on a great WR draft class...we clearly do...nor is a bad idea to draft Jeudy or Lamb early (we could use a difference-maker and young WR1 to be sure), but our impatience at the receiver position is directly tied to the QB position....in my opinion.

Should be pinned for accuracy. Well said.

How soon people forget that minus Campbell, Luck has the EXACT same cast of receivers. Last year he had Hilton, Rodgers, Pascal, and Doyle and Ebron. Considering Funchess went down early, that’s exactly what Brissett had. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

He's not a bust yet...and he obviously has that game-breaking ability...but I do worry about him staying healthy now...which is going to hamper his development. And I am not sure what his role will be. And yes...QB is a big issue right now. 

IF I was Ballard...my focus is DL (and defense in general) in FA/possibly trade....AND then using the draft to fix my passing game. I wouldn't even mind a 2012-esque draft...except with two WRs and one TE. 

Completely agree. We’ve invested a lot over the last three years on that side of the ball. Those picks (Turay, bangou, Bobby O, rock, Lewis, etc) need to start producing. It’s time to invest in skill positions on offense. Doyle and Hilton aren’t getting any younger. Our wr2 has been a revolving door for a long time. The backfield could use some depth also. Wilkins seems to be injured a lot and Mack also has a few injuries. I like Mack but not sure he’s built to be a 22-25 touch player. So yes the offense should be the focus in this years draft with a nice piece or two added on defense via free agency.

Need...so subjective.  It seems like our decision will come to the following fallers (setting aside a panicked grab for a QB):

DT: Brown or Kinlaw.  If we wait until Round 2, we can get Gallimore or Madubuike.

WR: Jeudy or Lamb.  If we wait until Round 2 (or maybe later), we can get Aiyuk, Mims, or Van Jefferson.  Lots of good options throughout the draft, but with diminishing value, of course.

OT: Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Becton, or Austin Jackson.  If we wait until Round 2, we can get: Wanogho, Trey Adams, Peart.

Seems like the riskiest of these three needs to wait on is OT.  If Wanogho is gone in the 2nd, you may end up with no clear successor for Castonzo (who I think will be back for perhaps his final year).  WR: easy to find someone who will help if we pass on one in the 1st.  DT is in between: we can get someone who will help in the 2nd, but he wouldn’t be anyway near as impactful as Kinlaw or Brown.  Ballard wants a dominant DL.

Of course, if we take a QB, then we’ll just have to live with the consequences...

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You think they are giving up on Campbell already, or do you think they will move him outside to Z? Also, he's 6-3 (Jefferson), so slot??

He worked mostly in the slot. No. I jump think Campbell's speed is better ulitzed outside

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He worked mostly in the slot. No. I jump think Campbell's speed is better ulitzed outside

He played outside a lot too. He really lined up all over the place. I guess I see him as a combo X/bully slot, as his play speed isn't high end. 

I don't see them putting Campbell outside just yet, because that would mean they're replacing TY. Campbell's only options are Z and slot. I've also thought he'd move outside as TY slowed, and perhaps to TY would move inside to slot. 

I'd be happy with Jefferson at X and bully slot though, but not as primary slot.

I also doubt they use 13 or 34 on a WR. Perhaps 44, but IMO they'll wait till at least the 3rd round for a WR, especially if they resign Funch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He played outside a lot too. He really lined up all over the place. I guess I see him as a combo X/bully slot, as his play speed isn't high end. 

I don't see them putting Campbell outside just yet, because that would mean they're replacing TY. Campbell's only options are Z and slot. I've also thought he'd move outside as TY slowed, and perhaps to TY would move inside to slot. 

I'd be happy with Jefferson at X and bully slot though, but not as primary slot.

I also doubt they use 13 or 34 on a WR. Perhaps 44, but IMO they'll wait till at least the 3rd round for a WR, especially if they resign Funch.

Little reason to think Funchess will re-sign here for one year with our QB situation...and little reason to think Ballard would give him more than he gave him last year

13 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Little reason to think Funchess will re-sign here for one year with our QB situation...and little reason to think Ballard would give him more than he gave him last year

Ballard made a point of talking up Funch in his recent presser, which at minimum shows interest (far from little reason). 

And there's little reason to expect Funch would expect more than we gave him last year.

I put the chances at Funch returning at 70-30 (returning). Ballard will likely offer a similar deal, and that deal will likely be at the top or near the top of offers he gets. And being he spent last year here, and is liked by the FO, was treated fairly and patiently, I'd say chances are pretty good.

Just fyi, I'm not a big fan of Funch. I'd rather let him go and draft/sign a similar big body possession WR later in the draft like Claypool, who has better hands. Reading the tea leaves though, I just see us bringing him back given the collective talk from the FO and coaching staff.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Ballard made a point of talking up Funch in his recent presser, which at minimum shows interest (far from little reason). 

And there's little reason to expect Funch would expect more than we gave him last year.

I put the chances at Funch returning at 70-30 (returning). Ballard will likely offer a similar deal, and that deal will likely be at the top or near the top of offers he gets. And being he spent last year here, and is liked by the FO, was treated fairly and patiently, I'd say chances are pretty good.

Just fyi, I'm not a big fan of Funch. I'd rather let him go and draft/sign a similar big body possession WR later in the draft like Claypool, who has better hands. Reading the tea leaves though, I just see us bringing him back given the collective talk from the FO and coaching staff.

Look (best Ballard impression voice attempt) I get that...

There is little doubt Ballard would like him back, maybe even on the same deal.  Funchess would simply be silly to  act on it and I can’t imagine an agent who would advise him to.  At 25 years old in a prove it situation he can’t do a 1 year deal with a team that can’t throw the ball.

9 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Look (best Ballard impression voice attempt) I get that...

There is little doubt Ballard would like him back, maybe even on the same deal.  Funchess would simply be silly to  act on it and I can’t imagine an agent who would advise him to.  At 25 years old in a prove it situation he can’t do a 1 year deal with a team that can’t throw the ball.

Two things. First, we don't know if we're going to be a team that can't throw the ball at this point. The situation doesn't have to be concluded prior to the draft. Second... While I agree some WRs wouldn't want to come to Indy if JB were the starter, Funch is a big bodied possession guy that actually might benefit from a QB like JB. Deep guys with speed (like Cain) definitely suffer with a QB like JB, but Funch would likely be more than fine. As soon as Luck retired, I thought Funch might get more yards than TY.... While I though with Luck he'd be lucky to be 3rd in yards.

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Two things. First, we don't know if we're going to be a team that can't throw the ball at this point. The situation doesn't have to be concluded prior to the draft. Second... While I agree some WRs wouldn't want to come to Indy if JB were the starter, Funch is a big bodied possession guy that actually might benefit from a QB like JB. Deep guys with speed (like Cain) definitely suffer with a QB like JB, but Funch would likely be more than fine. As soon as Luck retired, I thought Funch might get more yards than TY.... While I though with Luck he'd be lucky to be 3rd in yards.

Agree.  JB might keep Anderson and Cooper away but Funch should be fine.  He's settled in and might not want to move again after one year unless it's with a SB contender. He's the one who wanted the one year deal maybe Ballard gives him two like was originally reported. 

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  JB might keep Anderson and Cooper away but Funch should be fine.  He's settled in and might not want to move again after one year unless it's with a SB contender. He's the one who wanted the one year deal maybe Ballard gives him two like was originally reported. 

My hope is that they wait for after the draft. If Claypool is available in the 5th, and especially the 6th, I'd grab him in a heartbeat and let Funch walk. Claypool has much better hands, and as fast or faster. We'd actually have an upgrade IMO, and a much cheaper contract for a few years.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My hope is that they wait for after the draft. If Claypool is available in the 5th, and especially the 6th, I'd grab him in a heartbeat and let Funch walk. Claypool has much better hands, and as fast or faster. We'd actually have an upgrade IMO, and a much cheaper contract for a few years.

I think that's a big gamble.  I expect Funch will be signed by someone before the draft.  And then there are the long odds Claypool will be there by the 5th or 6th round.  If he's that good I would think he would be gone by then.  You know a bird in the hand...