Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt-related takeaways from Ravens - Titans game

WoolMagnet

14 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people are missing the biggest take away henry was drafted in 2016 and averaged 2.7 yards a carry was considered a bust until last year the second half of the season.    so it took 4 years for him to be good even in 2018 look at his stats the first half of the season trash .

this is why i dont think the colts roster is so bad on defense we got 1st 2nd and 3rd year players at every position except autry and houston .   so when quincy wilson is called a bust drafted in 2017 i wanna wait same to hooker and a lot of guys like rock ben banagu  .  some players take longer to get good losing some veterans on defense from last year and getting younger i expected the defense to take a step back .

They definitely aren't as bad * some want to believe. Second half of the year was tough because of the QB play tailing off and injuries piling up.

We definitely have holes, but if they can get some help on the Dline along with some WR help they should be better. 

It's obvious JB/QB play by whoever has to get better, but we aren't a 2-14 team like some want to portray.

59 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Henry is 6’4 and 245 lbs. There will never be another Henry. 

Not exactly, but Eddie George was the same runner.  I think Todd Gurley was supposed to be the same runner.  Marshawn Lynch, LeGarret Blount

They are/were all pretty tough runners.  John Riggins back in the day.  Others I'm sure.

More to the point, TN has the type of team that I think Ballard spoke about. 

Tannehill is a good enough runner to make some plays, and a good game manager that can make some long throws when the opportunity is right.  Between those plays, he can see where to throw the ball short to intermediate and be accurate.  Move the chains.

JB can't run or seem to make those long throws, and his overall accuracy suffered in the last part of the season.

Need a stout defense and a RB that can make some plays by himself. 

Its futile to look for the next Manning, or that elite Top 5 passer, IMO.  If we find him, great, then we build the team that way. 

But you don't first build an entire team around having a top 5 passing game when you don't have the QB secured or even in sight.  Even a top 13 draft pick rookie doesn't mean he'll develop into the QB you need for that.  JMO.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not exactly, but Eddie George was the same runner.  I think Todd Gurley was supposed to be the same runner.  Marshawn Lynch, LeGarret Blount

They are/were all pretty tough runners.  John Riggins back in the day.  Others I'm sure.

More to the point, TN has the type of team that I think Ballard spoke about. 

Tannehill is a good enough runner to make some plays, and a good game manager that can make some long throws when the opportunity is right.  JB can't run or seem to make those throws.

Need a stout defense and a RB that can make some plays by himself. 

Its futile to look for the next Manning, or that elite Top 5 passer, IMO.  If we find him, great, then we build the team that way. 

But you don't first build an entire team around having a top 5 passing game when you don't have the QB secured or even in sight.  Even a top 13 draft pick rookie doesn't mean he'll develop into the QB you need to run that O.

Except I don’t remember George running for 180 yards per game with multiple long. break aways. He was a straight ahead for 3-4 yards guy. But hey, he helped get them to a super bowl. 

50 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Except I don’t remember George running for 180 yards per game with multiple long. break aways. He was a straight ahead for 3-4 yards guy. But hey, he helped get them to a super bowl. 

OK.  Eric Dickerson then.  Adrian Petersen. Not saying we revolve the O around a RB, just saying that talent at the skill positions matters.  4th rounders and UDFA's last that long for a reason.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

OK.  Eric Dickerson then.  Adrian Petersen. Not saying we revolve the O around a RB, just saying that talent at the skill positions matters.  4th rounders and UDFA's last that long for a reason.

I wasn’t saying your theory was wrong. Just remembering George. I think Henry is playing better than him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Tannehill made two huge throws. The bomb for the TD and the dime to jonu for the other td. You think JB makes those throws? 

Yes I can, if you watch what happened the play call was great.  They stuck up everybody on that play and you and I could have made that throw on that play.....

Hold it....didn't some of the fans use the logic that while we could have been 11-5 with fewer injuries and a decent kicking game, that our weak division...therefor a big part of our easy schedule.....that JB had an easier road? Weren't 25% of the teams in the playoffs this weekend from our weak division?

It seems like the logic used, is a constant moving line. The goal? Use whatever logic fits the moment to get a different QB. 

Again, I don't know if JB is the guy.....but I also don;'t know that he's NOT the guy. 

9 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think it showed what a lot of us have said. That winning 9-10 games and getting into the playoffs is all that matters. Ryan Tannehill is not Manning or luck, but you don’t need a Manning or luck to win the Super Bowl. JB is good enough. Look at Tannehill stat line the last 2 games. 

Tannehill has a top 10 QBR... there's a very big difference between the two. JB is not Tanehillish.. There's a lot more to it than just yards. JB doesn't have yards, but he also doesn't have a lot of other things too... Tannehill does.

Amazing how every time a QB wins a game with low yards, or a QB losing with high yards, becomes the battle cry for JB fans.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Tannehill has a top 10 QBR... there's a very big difference between the two. JB is not Tanehillish.. There's a lot more to it than just yards. JB doesn't have yards, but he also doesn't have a lot of other things too... Tannehill does.

Amazing how every time a QB wins a game with low yards, or a QB losing with high yards, becomes the battle cry for JB fans.

giphy.gif

"Whataboutism"

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

yes, minus the F, my friend. :D

in all seriousness, i get it from some. from others, don't get it. 

Edited, thanks. 

It's just the way it is, Tannehill has a historic (and I do more historic) streak of games, but let's only look at the last 2 playoff games. 

Interesting to compare Brissett to Mariota... 

On 1/12/2020 at 6:33 AM, WoolMagnet said:

When i saw him push earl thomas half-way down the field i knew it was over.  He broke their will.

I remember a story that it all clicked for Henry after he talked to Eddie George.  Eddie told him to basically hit the hole and physically dominate.  Dont dance around, initiate the contact.  And BOOM, a switch went on.  Crazy.

Can Marlon Mack schedule a meeting with Eddie please? 

• Like 1

Seeing Jackson sitting on the sideline says a lot to me:  no matter how “electric” a QB you face is, he can’t hurt you, sitting on the bench.

That being said, it’s not an either/ or philosophy. Ideally, you still need to be efficient in BOTH the passing and run game, as well as having a great defense and special teams

Tannehills regular season passing yards per game puts him just about the same average as Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson in yards per game (about 250 per game). 

Hes also ahead of both in average passing TDs per game (about 2). He threw for 4 less passing TDs on the year but did it in 5 less games.

Give Tannehill his average for the season and he finishes 3rd in passing TDs (32) and around 11th-12th in yards. 

On 1/12/2020 at 6:01 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Watching the game, i couldn’t help but think that Tennessee is playing the type of ball Ballard and Reich envisioned.

I also couldn't help noticing the QBs 7-14 for 88 yards.  And that includes a “big play”.  Granted, Henry ran for 195 or so, but still , i couldnt help but think how their team somewhat mirrors ours.  

That D played some ball tho.

It seems for the most part the Colts do not get gashed by Henry every game.