Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard

Moosejawcolt

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Because we'd be 13-0 likely if we had Luck. I'm not a Ballard worshiper, but this isn't on him. He's upgraded or made solid attempts to upgrade every unit after inheriting what was mostly a dumpster fire in terms of depth and talent.

Even the JB fan club knows this boils down to the change of QB.

Not saying we don't need upgrades in several areas, but who here thinks we're not at least at 11-2 had Luck not left and playing for a 1 seed right now, even with all the injuries.

No way we’re 13-0 with Luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Because we'd be 13-0 likely if we had Luck. I'm not a Ballard worshiper, but this isn't on him. He's upgraded or made solid attempts to upgrade every unit after inheriting what was mostly a dumpster fire in terms of depth and talent.

Not saying we don't need upgrades in several areas, but who here thinks we're not at least at 11-2 had Luck not left and playing for a 1 seed right now, even with all the injuries.

Maybe not 11-2, but we would be leading the division with a healthy Andrew.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

He’s done more positive for the Colts than negative. You typically don’t build off the previous season’s success after losing the QB. 

He’s whiffed on a couple 2nd rounders (all GM’ do) and the JB extension just wasn’t necessary IMO. 

Other than that, the future looks good for the Colts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We r in year 3 and going into year 4 of Ballard's draft and I still see a lot of  holes. Plus, u remember the KC game last year against an elite team with all their weapons? We got trashed and didn't belong.  

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Hmmmmmm.....intersting If I remember correctlyBsllard

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I would say 11-2.

I think Ballard will ultimately be judged on what he does or doesn’t do this off-season.  Namely at the QB position.  Most give him a pass right now because there wasn’t much he could do two weeks before the season at that position beyond what he’s done.  This off-season he has to find “the guy” rather it’s Jacoby or someone else.  If he’s right he’s going to be praised.  If he’s wrong it will probably ultimately lead to him being fired.

• Like 1

The guy was building the team with the understanding that Luck was going to be his QB.

But Luck screwed the team over 2 weeks before the season opener, which has thrown the trajectory of this build off by a decent margin. 

He's had to (Along with the rest of us) sit back and see what he had with Brissett going forward. 

And knowing I'm just guessing here, I would say that Ballard going to see Love play recently tells me he's near the same ballpark in being as satisfied with Brissett's play as the rest of us are.

• Like 6

I'll point to 5 things that anyone can argue has played a role in the struggles for the Colts this season.

1. Chris Ballard

2. Coaches

3. Current Players

4. Injuries

5. Andrew Luck retiring

The Pareto principle applies here. (for any event 80% of effect is from 20% of the cause)

Andrew Luck retiring represents 20% of the "cause" but it has impacted 80% of the season.

Yes, there are some thing that Ballard could have done better. Same for the coaches. Same for the current players. But Luck retiring changed the entire season for this team and I think most people understand that.

Personally, I consider Ballard one of the reasons to feel optimistic about the team going forward.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think this is on ballard. Everything that could go wrong has gone wromg. It’s been a comedy of errors. 

We are close. We have been in every game this year with a chance to win in the 4th.

I would agree. Some years or some games just don’t bounce your way. This year between Luck retiring and the amount of injuries it is amazing we might finish 8-8. finally this just isn’t our year. We have left 33 points on the board with special teams and have lost 6 of our 7 games by a TD or less.  Just not our year. 

• Like 1

Ballard has way too many 4th string/borderline NFL players on the roster, like Mo Allie Cox. Too many prospects on Chris Ballard Scholarship. With all the resources available, Ballard should have brought in better players to fill out the roster. No reason Mo Allie Cox should have had his roster spot locked in. I don't want to only pick on Cox. He's one of several unproven players that had their roster spots locked up.

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

Pretty simple really.   The franchise player quit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has way too many 4th string/borderline NFL players on the roster, like Mo Allie Cox. Too many prospects on Chris Ballard Scholarship. With all the resources available, Ballard should have brought in better players to fill out the roster. No reason Mo Allie Cox should have had his roster spot locked in. I don't want to only pick on Cox. He's one of several unproven players that had their roster spots locked up.

You can't evaluate Pacers players correctly,   . Stop trying to evaluate colts players

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

No way we’re 13-0 with Luck. 

We're at least 11-2 and in it for a 1 seed. And honestly, what game would Luck have lost?

Honest question? We've played a very weak schedule vs a bunch of bad passing Ds. 

With our running game and gelled OL, Luck would have finally had a full year of a good supporting cast.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He’s done more positive for the Colts than negative. You typically don’t build off the previous season’s success after losing the QB. 

He’s whiffed on a couple 2nd rounders (all GM’ do) and the JB extension just wasn’t necessary IMO. 

He did nothing wrong with giving Jacoby that contract. It in no way hurt this team. You can’t have the backup making more money. It also took the stress off of him worrying about his next contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard is always preaching competition, yet the only FA WR he brought in was Devin Funchess. Devin was not going to push any of the young WR's to sweat making the roster. 

He got hurt and cain still got cut.  You are wrong again

• Thanks 2

I give Chris Ballard a pass this year. When QB-1 was as good as Luck was. It not only helps your scoring average, It also impacts  your Defense as well. When QB-1 struggles as JB has this year. It will have a negative impact on your Defense. As we see today.

I have a feeling that Chris has something up this off season. After today I’m looking forward to next year 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He did nothing wrong with giving Jacoby that contract. It in no way hurt this team. You can’t have the backup making more money. It also took the stress off of him worrying about his next contract.

Just my opinion, please don’t get bent out of shape about it. 

7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would agree. Some years or some games just don’t bounce your way. This year between Luck retiring and the amount of injuries it is amazing we might finish 8-8. finally this just isn’t our year. We have left 33 points on the board with special teams and have lost 6 of our 7 games by a TD or less.  Just not our year. 

Yep. Even with luck gone we have still had 4th quarter leads. Just tighten up a few things and we will be just fine no matter who is the QB next season. We aren’t that far off talent wise.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

What games do we lose if Andrew didn't retire?

It’s really too hard to tell.  The Colts have played so many one score games this year all it takes is one little thing to be different to change the outcome.  For example Luck was normally good for one “what were you doing” INT every two or three games.  Yes he’d make more big plays than Jacoby but it’s also possible maybe he makes a few more costly mistakes than Jacoby does.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MPStack said:

This is my beef with Ballard. He's created a narrative, amongst Colts fans, that he is an expert at the draft. Narrative that we can trust him to nail the draft every year. This isn't true. Draft picks are 50/50, and Ballard has not shown us he is capable of exceeding this percentage. For every Darius Leonard, there will be Quincy Wilson. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1